Managing Director in Uganda , Uganda
Are you the Managing Director we are looking for?
Are you ready to lead the company of our client, which aims to tackle Africa’s emerging development challenges? Do you have a passion for social and behaviour change communication (SBCC) and capacity building? Then we might be looking for you.
The Managing Director is a dynamic and inspiring leader of the team, and is accountable for the sustainability and growth of the company. He reports directly to the board, which includes experienced professionals from both NGOs and the private sector.
1. Leadership: Motivate and mentor the team
• Being a team player on projects and lead by example.
• Creating an atmosphere of appreciation and respect for all partners and colleagues
• Create a learning environment and seek and give constructive feedback
2. Business Management: Overseeing the financial health of the company and providing strategic direction for growth and sustainability
• Regularly review financial reports and approve expenses
• Ensure the organization is adhering to local laws and operating as a socially responsible business
• Engage the organization's Board of Directors in key decisions, prepare regular updates, and support recruitment of new board members as needed
• Lead the creation of operating procedures, financial forecasts and targets, annual and strategic plans, updated governance manuals, quarterly reviews, and performance reviews
3. Partnerships: Build and maintain relationships with staff, potential project partners and consultants
• Recruit new consultants and team members
• Manage relationships with key partners
• Represent the organization's interests in partnerships, while looking for synergy and collectively beneficial opportunities
4. Marketing and Communication: Lead and oversee new business opportunities and company sales
• Watch trends in the creative and or communication industry and the development sector
• Brainstorm with colleagues, partners and clients on new proposals
• Write and review bids and new proposals
• Review and approve external communication
5. Creative: Contribute to the development of new services and products
• Lead and oversee design reseach and co-creations
• Conceptualise innovative social and behaviour change communication and capacity building strategies and tools
• Work with designers, content developers, illustrators and researchers to define or refine solutions
• Occasionally develop content for company communication and new products
• Ensure services and products apply user-centered design principles and meet the organization's quality standards
Experience, Skills and Abilities
• Minimum of 7-10 years of professional experience in a relevant field (social sector enterprise, communication, design, SBCC etc.)
• Experience in mentoring, motivating and supervising teams and individuals
• Experience with volunteering or working in Africa, working with local counterparts
• The ability to facilitate workshops, strong presentation skills and influence internal and external discussions at all levels
• Strong English writing and communication skills
• Business acumen, with business strategy development, operational planning experience and financial planning
• Knowledge of Human-Centered Design in the creative industry is preferred
• An entrepreneurial mindset
• Ability to travel frequently within East Africa and Uganda itself
Are you interested in becoming a Managing Director in Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Programme Manager Agribusiness in the Netherlands , Netherlands
The Netherlands-African Business Council (NABC) is the leading organisation for trade and investment facilitation for Africa in the Netherlands. At NABC we believe that the Dutch private sector has a prominent role to play in the sustainable development of the African continent. Therefore, NABC’s purpose is to inform, inspire, catalyse, and connect businesses with Africa’s opportunities and to assist businesses in making confident decisions about when, where, and how to do business in Africa. NABC currently has a network of approximately 250 engaged and diverse members and has access to a community of over 10,000 African and European businesses, institutes, government entities and others interested in doing business in Africa.
For our team in The Hague, The Netherlands, we are looking for a Program Manager Agribusiness who will focus on our Livestock (Beef, Poultry, Dairy, and aquaculture) activities. This person will be reporting directly to the agribusiness Team leader and will be responsible for our livestock portfolio.
DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
- You coordinate the current programmes aimed at the livestock sector, coordinate NABC's sector platforms in this sector.
- Managing the (local) project team(s) and doing market scans, stakeholder research, implementing programmes with local partners and identifying local demand for Dutch Agri knowledge and technologies.
- Maintain good relations with (Dutch and African) members, project partners, local sector players and the public sector such as ministries and embassies.
- Strategically develop and grow NABC’s livestock portfolio of activities and position in the market both here in the Netherlands and across Africa.
- Manage all current livestock related activities and programs in close collaboration with our partner organizations and network of offices across Africa.
- Promote and position the Dutch livestock sector, in particular members of NABC, in Africa, based on good market information.
- Develop, acquire, and manage strategic and relevant livestock related programs, projects, and members.
- Inform and advise stakeholders in the Netherlands and Africa about business opportunities and Dutch solutions specific to the horticulture/ poultry sector, including access to various financial instruments.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the local embassies and the regional offices and other relevant sector organisations.
- Recognize and exploit opportunities and synergies with Dutch funded ‘aid to trade’ programmes as well as other public and private sector funding instruments for the benefit of our Dutch and African members.
- Overall, support to our livestock members in the provision of high-quality products and services including reporting to both our members and internally.
- Engage in other tasks such as marketing, promotion and branding of your sector across Europe and Africa.
- A relevant educational and professional background with over 3 years in or with the livestock sector in the Netherlands, in a commercial and or public sector setting.
- Knowledge and experience in program and project management.
- Minimal Bachelor’s degree but preferably a master’s degree in relevant subjects as Agriculture, livestock, Economics and or Business Management.
- A self-starter comfortable with a client facing role. The candidate has had direct responsibility for acquisition from idea generation to contracting and execution.
- Proactive networker with a good eye for business opportunities and able to secure business through members and clients of NABC.
- Track record in program development/ project management/ reporting/ proposal writing (experience with European or world bank related bids is a pre).
- Familiar with key Agriculture Funding opportunities/ partners. Experience in consortium building would be an extra advantage. Able to develop, acquire, manage, and deliver on large livestock programs relevant to agriculture (dependent) sectors independently and proactively.
- Ability to both lead and supervise teams as well as to act in a more supporting role in a team.
- Strong communicator internally and externally.
- Strong planning and budget control skills.
- A working proficiency BOTH in Dutch and English, (French is an absolute bonus).
- Affinity with Africa. Experience in or working with Africa is a plus.
- Able to work independently, and in a team, with an eye for detail and a ‘hands-on’ mentality.
- Required to be available as soon as possible.
- Living in or around The Hague, and available preferably 5 days per week.
WHAT WE OFFER
A dynamic job in an international setting where you will be involved daily with the agricultural sector, specifically livestock, and economic developments and opportunities in African countries. A relatively flat organization that will give you room to grow quickly an define the way you express yourself professionally. An opportunity for you to gain more knowledge on how the private sector stimulates sustainable and fair economic development in Africa. Do you like to get things done and are you good at switching between various stakeholders, such as Dutch and African agribusinesses, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Dutch and African embassies? Who knows, we might be looking for you! A competitive salary based on your experience and fit.
An assessment and thorough reference check will/can be part of this procedure. NABC appreciates all expressions of interest, however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Are you interested in becoming a Programme Manager Agribusiness in the Netherlands? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.
Project Manager in Tanzania , Tanzania
About the job
In a context of development and growth of its activity, our client is looking for a Project Manager. The new PM will be responsible for overseeing the rural electrification projects.
- Tracking and monitoring project progress to make sure high levels of quality, operational efficiency and cost effective management of resources
- Identifying potential dependencies, constraints and risks over the course of the project and developing ways to manage such issues effectively
- Preparation of detailed project plans and take effective steps to meet the targets
- Overseeing electrical distribution system on site and manage the installation of all the electrical systems
- Working together with the technical teams.
- Handling material verification and quality inspection as per standard
- Coordinate with all stakeholders for activities related to the project such as progress reports, invoicing, imports, etc.
- Ensure projects are implemented
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Engineering (Preferably Telecoms, Civil, Electronics, Electrical)
- Nice to have: post graduate or MBA business administration or project management
- Minimum of 5 years experience in minigrid work and LV/ MV line construction
- Great communicator and used to managing multiple tasks
- Problem-solving team player with great management skills
Are you interested in becoming a Project Manager in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Crop Growing Manager in Kenya , Kenya
Our client's organization is growing and we are recruiting a Crop Growing Manager for them.
Types of different propagation methods, materials and seeds and their criteria for health and quality.
The study of plant, soil structure, climatic and environmental issues in agronomical production.
Health and safety regulations
Necessary health, safety, hygiene and environmental standards and legislation rules in the sector of particular activity.
Methods, principles and systems for supplying water to land or crops by means of pipes, sprinklers, ditches or streams.
The variety of plants, trees and shrubs and their special characteristics.
Different approached to prunning trees, such as thinning, removal, etc.
Project management principles
Different elements and phases of project management.
Principles of estimating and planning of forecasts for business activity, compile regular budget and reports.
Set of traits and values which guide the actions of a leader with her/his employees and the company and provide direction throughout her/his career. These principles are also an important tool for self-evaluation to identify strengths and weaknesses, and seek self-improvement.
Plant disease control
Types and features of diseases in plants and crops. Different kinds control methods, activities using conventional or biological methods taking into account the type of plant or crop, environmental and climate conditions and health and safety regulations. Storage and handling of products.
Different types of greenhouses (plastic, glass) and other horticultural facilities such as hotbed, seedbed, irrigations systems, storage and protective facilities etc.
Environmental legislation in agriculture and forestry
Awareness on enviromental legislation, policies, principles relevant for agriculture and forestry. Awareness of the impact on the enviroment of local agricultural precedures and practices. Means to adjust the production to new enviromental regulations and policies.
The techniques of selectively removing parts of trees and plants to foster better growth and regeneration.
The standard horticultural practices, including but not limited to planting, pruning, corrective pruning, and fertilisation.
Pest control in plants
Types and features of pests in plants and crops. Different kinds of pest control methods, activities using conventional or biological methods taking into account the type of plant or crop, environmental and climate conditions and health and safety regulations. Storage and handling of products.
Types of storage facilities
Different types of devices and facilities used to hold information and their quality criterias.
Quality criteria for storage facilities
Quality criteria for storage facilities such as safe locking systems, ventilation, regularly inspected fireproofing systems, etc.
Plant harvest methods
The various methods, timing and equipment involved in harvesting different crops and plants.
Crop production principles
Principles in growing crops, the natural cycle, nursing of nature, growth conditions and principles of organic and sustainable production. Quality criterias and requirements of seeds, plants and crop.
Diversity of soil elements and types of soil in relation to plant growth.
Develop agricultural production plans
Develop plans for planting, calculate crop input requirements for all stages of the growth.
Operate horticulture equipment
Operate horticultural equipment and assist with servicing. Ensure that vehicles are roadworthy before starting the work.
Carry out plant growing activities. Carry out grow control considering the required terms and conditions for specific plant type.
Maintain plant soil nutrition
Manage and support overall soil nutrition. Practice sustainable gardening techniques and integrated pest management in gardens both outdoor and indoor.
Monitor orchards, fields and production areas to forecast when crops will be fully grown. Estimate how much damage the weather may cause to crops.
Store and preserve crops in accordance with standards and regulations to ensure their quality. Ensure that storage facilities are kept according to hyginic standards, regulating temperature, heating and air conditioning of storage facilities.
Supervise hygiene procedures in agricultural settings
Ensure that hygiene procedures in agricultural settings are followed, taking into account the regulations of specific areas of action e.q. livestock, plants, local farm products, etc.
Analyse and identify the strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; formulate and plan alternatives.
Manage production enterprise
Organise and instruct staff, plan production strategies and programmes including sales. Carry out input purchase orders, materials, equipment and manage stocks etc. Awareness of demands of the businesses customers and adjustments accordingly to plans and strategies. Estimate resources and control budget of enterprise applying business economics, production development and project management principles.
Ensure soil fertility
Analyse soil to determine type and quantity of fertiliser required for maximum production.
Coordinate greenhouse environment
Take care of the heating and cooling of greenhouses. Work together with the Grounds and Buildings Manager in keeping the irrigation systems and the horticultural equipment in good condition.
Store products to ensure the quality and in accordance with standards and regulations. Ensure the stock facilities are kept according to hygiene standards, regulating temperature, heating and air conditioning of storage facilities.
Make independent operating decisions
Make immediate operating decisions as necessary without reference to others, taking into account the circumstances and any relevant procedures and legislation. Determine alone which option is the best for a particular situation.
Prepare planting area
Prepare planting area and soil for planting by for example fertilising, mulching by hand or using mechanical tools or machinery; prepare seeds and plants for sowing and planting by enuring the quality of seed and plants.Sow and plant by hand, using mechanical tools or machinery and in accordance with national legislation.
Carry out propagation activities by appling appropriate propagation methods such as grafted cutting propagation or generative propagation considering the plant type. Carry out propagation control considering the required terms and conditions for specific plant type.
Create soil and plant improvement programmes
Develop and advise on implementation of soil health and plant nutrition programs.
Mow, pick or cut agricultural products manually or using appropriate tools and machinery. Taking into account the relevant quality criteria of products, hygiene prescriptions and using the appropriate methods.
Execute disease and pest control activities
Execute disease and pest control activities using conventional or biological methods taking into account the climate, plant or crop type, health and safety and environmental regulations. Store and handle pesticides in accordance with recomandation and legislation.
Maintain storage facilities
Maintain or ensure the maintenance of cleaning equipment, heating or air conditioning of storage facilities and the temperature of premises.
Carry out pruning with relevant tools, related to the different purposes like maintenance pruning, pruning for growth, pruning for fruiting, debudding and volume reduction.
Supervise crop production
Supervise and analyse overall crop production in order to ensure effective production process, taking into account the environmental regulations.
Use agricultural information systems and databases
Use relevant information systems and databases to plan, manage and operate agricultural enterprise and production.
Maintain plant health
Manage and support overall plant health. Practice sustainable gardening techniques and integrated pest management in gardens both outdoor and indoor.
Are you interested in becoming a Crop Growing Manager in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Technical Operations Manager in Ethiopia , Ethiopia
For one of our clients in the FMCG sector, we are recruiting a technical people person who enjoys training others and maximizing and utilizing skills.
Are you a team leader, who can manage production, maintenance and repair of the machines, we are keen to speak with you.
In this role, you will be responsible for the production process, with a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality, you enjoy being in the workplace, sorting out technical matters, working closely together with your colleagues, coaching and helping them where possible.
Key competences :
• A strong character, flexibility, persistence and always going the extra mile
• Knowledge of our technology
• The ability to put things in perspective
• Good knowledge of the English language in speech and writing
The job is immediately available.
Are you interested in becoming a Technical Operations Manager in Ethiopia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Managing Director in Burkina Faso , Burkina Faso
We are recruiting a Managing Director in Burkina Faso for a client active in the food processing sector.
The task at hand
Prime responsibility of the managing director is to continuously improve quality, volume and efficiency of the factory with his management team: finance, value-chain, maintenance and engineering. The challenge is to develop a culture of continuous improvement, supported by structures and daily processes, further developing the team’s capabilities in problem solving, leadership, initiative to innovate. The managing director reports to the CEO and is supported by a local finance director, reporting to the CFO.
• Attaining production targets in terms of quality, volume and efficiency (measurable KPI’s);
• Sourcing of nuts from associated farmer groups;
• Monitoring and supporting the farmer training programs;
• Representing the company with local government institutions;
• Hosting customer visits as well as external auditors (finance, BRC, organic, fairtrade);
• Supporting, facilitating charity projects for the factory and/or the region;
Key requirements (preferable)
• Master’s in engineering or business/economics;
• 10 years’ experience in an industrial processing environment;
• Familiarity with food safety systems like HACCP and BRC are considered a plus;
• Familiarity with lean manufacturing and lean management;
• Experience or affinity with technical installations in agribusiness: boiler and steam systems, compressed air systems, mechanical engineering;
• Excellent verbal and written skills in both French and English;
Are you interested in becoming a Managing Director Agribusiness in Burkina Faso? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Facility Manager in South Sudan , South Sudan
The minimum qualifications and minimum responsibilities for key personnel are outlined below:
The Facilities Manager will be the point of contact relating to the maintenance and repairs of all existing facilities including (but not limited to) work planning, execution, logistical planning of procurement, quality control, time and cost management and all matters concerning the day to day operations of our client. The FM bears primary responsibility for subject matter expert (SME) on all technical aspects relating to the operational aspects of facilities, and approaches to repairs, replacement parts and maintenance.
At a minimum, the FM must have:
• a bachelor' s degree in facilities management, mechanical engineering and/or industrial engineering from an accredited college or university in the United States, Britain, Canada or Europe;
• at least five years of experience in the following: or managing, or at a supervisory level, large compounds requiring maintenance of buildings, grounds, and facilities; managing, or at a supervisory level, generator powered electricity, sewage plants, water pump houses, and hydraulic ramps; managing, or at a supervisory level, large numbers of AC split units in hot weather conditions; and working at a supervisory level in large building and infrastructure projects.
• Fluency in spoken and written English.
Are you interested in becoming a Facility Manager in South Sudan? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Business Finance Partner in DRC , Congo (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
We are looking for a Business Finance Partner for our client, which is active in the pharmaceutical industry. The Business Finance Partner will be responsible for strategic and tactical operations while engaging key external stakeholders and providing partnership to the business. Ensuring the Financial Report meets the highest management and statutory expectations and delivered on time. The BFP will take responsibility for the monthly, quarterly and annual closing activities. He will also be leading the statutory reporting and filing with the authorities. Operating with high level of ethics, integrity and compliance.
• Management Information: Provide analysis of management information ensuring accuracy, relevance, timeliness and consistency of the information provided to support decision making in the area of OPEX, Sales, Accounts Receivable, and Account Payables e.tc.
• Business Partnering: Partner with the Medical and Commercial Managers in the analysis of actual results, comparing with forecasts, interrogating the variances with a view to providing transparency and insights, and supporting the corrective actions identified to help in resource allocation and ensure achievement of business objectives
• Budgeting and Business Planning: Support the management team and budget holders in the planning process by providing relevant templates, assumptions and guiding the teams in using the budgeting tools. Submission of the budgets/forecasts as per the regional/global guidelines and tools.
• Internal Controls: Supporting an environment of robust internal controls within the organization especially in the Procure to Pay (P2P), Customer Credit Notes and T&E processes.
• Accounting, Reporting & Controlling: Responsible for month-end process by carrying out the month-end procedures and ensuring adequate accrual accounting and GL postings at month-end
• Take the ownership of Company Financials - responsible for day-to-day operations and consolidation on a periodic basis.
• Tax Administration and Compliance: Work with external tax consultants & auditors to ensure timely filling of all applicable business taxes to the authorities to ensure statutory compliance.
Experience and qualifications
• Graduate in Finance and accounting with a minimum of 4 years’ experience in a similar function. Chartered accountant is a plus.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Autonomous and collaborative
• Good level of competency with computers and a willingness to master new tools to improve accuracy and efficiency
• SAP (accounting software) knowledge preferably
• Comfortable working in a high-energy, fast-paced environment and the ability to multi-task
• Detail and deadline-oriented
• Trustworthy with confidential matters and excellent moral and ethical standards
• Ability to work independently and with other team members
• Proficient in English and French
• Core behaviors: Be accountable / Be brave / Serve others / customer centric.
• Management and leadership skills, organizational, planning and communication skills.
• Work well in a multi-functional team.
Are you interested in becoming a Business Finance Partner in DRC? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.