Manager of Operations , Netherlands
Foundation Rural Energy Services (FRES) advances electrification in rural areas in Africa by establishing small-scale, commercially operating utilities. They provide households and small businesses with electricity, preferably generated by solar energy, to meet the demand for proper lighting, radio and TV, charging cell phones, and a broad range of commercial activities. In this way they contribute to the social and economic development and social cohesion of rural areas.
FRES is a non-profit, small multinational, founded in 2004, and consists of companies in Mali, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Uganda and Guinea-Bissau and a head office in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
FRES-Netherlands is, within the boundaries set by the FRES Board, responsible to guide the FRES Companies and:
• Develop, agree objectives and strategy for each FRES Company;
• Develop, agree annual plans and budgets for each FRES Company;
• Set boundary conditions, policies and guidelines;
• Appoint Management Team staff of each FRES Company, appraise their performance;
• Monitor and appraise the performance and strategy of their business;
• Arrange for specific authorizations for investments, divestments, major activities;
• Arrange for mandatory services such as central procurement (unless otherwise agreed);
• Promote adherence to the FRES fee-for-service business model;
• Develop new business to generate new FRES customers;
• Have an internal control framework in place to manage risks and opportunities; and to demonstrate compliance;
• Report to the FRES Board on status, progress.
FRES-Netherlands has a team of 6 staff members to perform the activities who report to the General Director. FRES Netherlands is currently looking to fill one of the two positions of Manager of Operations within the team. FRES Group Companies have a turnover of approx. € 10 million per annum in existing business and new developments (50/50) with a total of 230 direct staff.
A Manager of Operations is responsible for the effective operation of the FRES companies. It is a senior role which involves overseeing the operational activities and business results of FRES companies. An important objective for the Manager of Operations is to achieve operational excellence of FRES companies that meets expectations of its clients, its stakeholders and its shareholders. As a member of the FRES-NL team he/she ensures that the FRES objectives for the FRES companies are realized. As a member of the board of the local FRES Companies he/she assists in ensuring that the FRES companies meet their objectives.
The Manager of Operations works intensively with the other FRES-NL team members, to ensure consistent reporting to the General Director and the Board of FRES.
• Develop FRESco/country strategies in line with FRES strategies;
• Ensure FRESco strategies are aligned with, and that the FRESco’s interest is represented in, the overall FRES Business strategies and plan;
• Govern (control and guide) FRESco’s;
• Monitor performance of FRESco’s against agreed targets and objectives;
• Appraise FRESco business performance, strategies and business control framework;
• Benchmark business processes and performance metrics between the FRES companies;
• He/she is member of the Board of Directors of the FRES company;
• Willingness to travel 5-10 times per year to rural areas in Africa for a short stay or in specific cases a stay for several weeks or months.
All these responsibilities are executed under the supervision of the General Director.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to take the initiative, and to work independently;
• Proven skills and experience with respect to Business Administration with an operations management specialization and experience in the daily running of SME’s in developing countries;
• Strong analytical and presentation skills;
• Strong skills and experience with writing reports;
• Good team player and understanding the information needs of other team members, assisting them to identify and present business/operational issues arising that need to be addressed, improved;
• Ability to work under pressure, to multi-task and to manage time efficiently;
• Have leadership and supervisory skills;
• Have good critical and judgement skills;
• Excellent spoken English and French and excellent written English or French;
• Good interpersonal and intercultural skills;
• Commitment to existing Organization policies.
FRES offers a salary according standards of the NGO sector.
Please send a motivational letter and your resume before November 18th 2016.
Commercial Manager , Malawi
Do you want to put your know-how and skills to use where they are needed? Do you want to work abroad and experience different cultures? Then the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM) is your ideal partner for finding a responsible position in the field of development policy. We place highly qualified staff with employers in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe.
Support the Agricultural Commodity Exchange for Africa in Lilongwe, Malawi, as a
Commercial Manager in the Trade Facilitation Department
We are looking for you:
The Agricultural Commodity Exchange for Africa (ACE) needs your expertise to develop its operational business division. ACE was founded 10 years ago with the aim of enabling smallholder farmers and agri-cultural producers in rural areas to participate in the economic development of the country. The Trade Fa-cilitation Department has 30 employees working on warehouse management, logistics, the processing of trading activities and the management of financing facilities, and reports directly to the ACE manage-ment. In this context, it has already been possible to establish services such as the Warehouse Receipt System, ACE Trade Platform and Market Information System . The aim is to continue to develop ACE revenue streams and grow the trade volume currently at about USD 20 million by commercialising the provision of trade and financial services and to make ACE independent of financial resources from de-velopment cooperation.
Your tasks will involve:
• Responsibility for management of the Trade Facilitation Department, including developing a business model and medium-term strategy for the department
• Implementing strategic planning in the department, in particular in the field of trade facilitation, by bringing a commercial angle to a development-oriented organisation
• Improving cooperation within the organisation and building capacity within the department
• Develop trade facilitation and commodity finance management structures and services.
• University degree in business administration or economics with a focus on trade, finance or a compa-rable subject that enables you to perform the tasks
• Several years of experience in international trade, specifically in relation to commodity exchanges and commodity or agricultural trade/finance
• Several years of management experience with power of attorney or proxy
• Experience in organisational development and in the development of service portfolios
• Fluent business English
What we offer:
• A varied and interesting job with a high level of responsibility in an international environment
• The opportunity to work with other organisations in the field of development cooperation
• A preparatory course ahead of your assignment abroad
• A local employment contract as an integrated expert for an initial period of two years, with an option to extend
• Attractive monthly subsidies and social security benefits in addition to your local salary
O n e p e r s o n c a n m a k e a d i f f e r e n c e
Please submit your application using our online portal at http://www.cimonline.de. Here you will find more information on what we do and what we have to offer. If you have any questions, you can contact:
Expiry date: August 26th 2016
Managing Director , Ghana
The Managing Director is responsible for establishing and executing the organization’s major goals and objectives. An entrepreneurial and “hands on” mentality are key qualities of the successful candidate. (S)he provides leadership, direction and guidance in the organization’s activities, and analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of all organization operations. (S)he is strong in marketing and project management and in inter-cultural communication skills. In addition, (s)he develops and maintains the organizational structure and gives guidance to the staff. One major role is the representation of GNBCC to all its stakeholders: companies in Ghana and the Netherlands (interested in) doing business in one or both of these countries, Governmental organizations in general, the Royal Dutch Embassy in particular, funders supporters, and the general public.
Duties and responsibilities general
• Acts as the spokesperson for GNBCC
• Develops and maintains stake holder relationships
• Promotes GNBCC as a service organization, and is responsible for marketing its services
• Takes part in and supervises execution of assignments
• Directs and oversees short and long term strategic plans
• Attends Board Meetings
• Provides leadership to organization personnel through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication
• Ensures that job descriptions are current
• Conducts performance appraisals as required
• Ensures that all the organization’s goals, plans & actions are covered in a general annual business plan (this includes: budget,
goals, objectives and deliverables for the upcoming year)
Duties & responsibilities administration
• Ensures compliance to minimum standards in accordance with all government legislation, regulations and guidelines pertinent to
the organization’s role as an employer and non-profit agency
• Maintains an effective and cost efficient office environment
• Develops, maintains, and updates job descriptions pertinent to the organization
• Develops and maintains business(services) for GNBCC
• Develops and implements operational plans, policies, and goals that enhance strategic objectives
Duties & responsibilities Finance
• Maintains full awareness of the complete financial, statistical, and accounting records of the organization
• Ensures that operating results established in the annual budget are achieved and the control of operating expenses within
• Ensures the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting
• Ensures the preparation of the annual budget for board approval
Essential skills, competences and requirements
GNBCC’s Managing Director is an effective communicator, across cultures, with a “hands on” mentality, excellent leadership skills, marketing and management experience and the ability to motivate employees. Additionally, (s)he must be results oriented, creative, entrepreneurial and have strong business-development skills and the ability to interact with all stakeholders. The Ideal candidate holds a BA or MA degree in business administration combined with a proven track record in business development or service delivery. Excellent knowledge of English is a must, knowledge of Dutch is a big plus. (S)he commits to a long term (at least three years) involvement to further develop GNBCC.
Country Manager in Central Africa , Central Africa
For one of the fastest growing logistics service companies in Africa we are seeking a Country Manager in Central Africa.
The company is looking for a Country Manager with a commercial mindset, with an operations/ warehousing/ freight forwarding background.
Tasks and responsibilities:
• Serving as the person in charge of country's site personnel as well as office staff
• Managing the daily operations for the company
• Winning profitable business, converting, and prospecting both in-country as well as outside
• Develop processes and drive expansion plans for the country
• Being the face of the company for both clients and government in country
• Making sure that management systems in the country are effective in order to meet the objectives of the organization and to make sure the staff can carry out their work efficiently and effectively
• Making sure that the staff understand their roles and responsibilities and that they are held directly accountable for their work, achieve the highest possible standards and are appraised regularly
• The Country Lead is responsible for all aspects of the operations in the country including the implementation and evaluation of campaigns, policies, marketing, financial, logistics, administrative programs and communications
• Make a contribution to developing a long-term strategy and making plans for the organization regarding the core values and objectives
• Making sure that the organization fulfils all its regulatory responsibilities and legal statutory in country
• Making sure the offices in country are financially healthy and also implement the right auditing and financial systems
What we are looking for:
• Minimum 10 years related working experience (operations/ warehousing/ transport/ freight forwarding), of which 3 should be at management level. Central African work experience is an advantage
• Strong organizational and management skills, including being comfortable in delegating responsibility
• Solid financial background with full understanding of P&L management and budgeting
• Excellent negotiation and interpersonal skills, including ability to successfully build and lead a team, make the proper decisions, communicate the vision of the organisation, manage conflicts, and solve problems
• A strong track record of developing people and proven people management skills in a multi-cultural environment
• Management skills that motivate staff and support team building, demonstrated leadership
• Experience with working in fast changing environments, hands-on
• Problem solving and decision-making skills, entrepreneurial mindset
Are you interested in becoming a Country Manager in Central Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Business Manager - Accra, Ghana , Ghana
Job Title: Business Manager
Reports to: Country Director, Ghana
Location: Accra, Ghana
Our client is looking for a driven and passionate individual, who has a proven track record of creating businesses from scratch. Working within an agreed business timeline, the individual will work to develop a deep understanding of their trucking business in Ghana and update/ develop and/or build on a business strategy for the organisation.
You will be required to identify the success and sticking points for all stakeholders which will result in the successful adoption of an e-logistics platform. A team player who can work with both internal and external stake holders to supervise the development of the required platform to successfully initiate operations.
Functions include but are not limited to, providing strategic direction, managing stakeholders, optimizing operating costs, budget, and plan marketing with high ROI, expand client and trucking base. Lead, supervise and energize the team to achieve its goals and objectives. Provide and support creative and innovative ideas for sustainable business growth.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identify key success factors and test the hypothesis for the same
• Identify stake holders
• Identify the route to market
• Build systems and procedures to ensure business growth
• Identify, analyse, and implement key success factors to ensure operational effectiveness
• Prepare and implement an SOP for business activities
• Build a cost efficient and robust back-office team to sustain the business
• Oversee software development and implementation thereof to ensure all business needs are met
• Lead change management while integrating new systems with legacy business operations
• Identify and onboard clients and create tailor made solutions
• Create a benefits plan for truck owners and operators
• Create a supplier benefits plan
• Market analysis and and competitor analysis to build business strategies and identify opportunities
• Establish CAPEX needs and submit proposal to encourage growth of the business
People Management & Development:
• Motivate and coach team members; ensure efficient teamwork and coordination of activities
• Maintain an alignment of individual goals and targets for each team member
• Ensure ongoing learning to improve skills through training and workshops
• Responsible for building the cultural framework to ensure business success
• Create, implement, develop, and enforce the code of conduct, related policies and Health and Safety rules
• Perform job evaluation of existing and new roles that supports business growth and sustainability
• Performance management and development of team based on agreed goals
Business and Financial Reports:
• Prepare and execute business budget and forecasts
• Create, develop, and enforce action plans to follow financial constraints
• Prepare and attend monthly review meetings
• Provide regular data for Financial Reports
Experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Minimum education qualifications: Master’s Degree in Management, Procurement, Logistics, Supply Chain, or a related commercial field
• At least 10 years work experience in the field of procurement, supply chain and logistics
• Experience of the Logistics and e logistics sector highly advantageous
• IT skills: Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint are required for report writing, doing presentations, record keeping, data analysis and budgeting
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to make decisions under pressure and handle emergencies
• Ability to communicate instructions clearly and present goals and objectives to the team
• Strong initiative and leadership skills
• Task prioritization, scheduling, and allocation thereof
• Plan and organize the tasks of both white collar and blue-collar employees/ colleagues
Hazardous Materials Management Professional , Africa
Our client is a leader in trading metals and minerals. They trade Tin, Tantalum, Lithium and Tungsten with operations across Africa and Brazil.
To help grow their organisation they are looking for a Hazardous Materials Management Professional, to be based in Africa.
- CHMM and CDGP certified
- Knowledge of ISO
- HSE experience
- Africa experience
Nice to haves:
- French language
- Able to train people
What type of person are we looking for:
- Dynamic personality, every day is different
- Hands-on mentality
- Loves to travel to different African locations
- Loves working in a small but motivated team
Are you interested in becoming a Hazardous Materials Management Professional in Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Finance & Administration Manager in Côte d'Ivoire , Ivory Coast
We are seeking a Finance & Administration Manager for an International client, to join their dedicated team in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the role is responsible for overseeing the execution of the financial management activities, development and implementation of financial management systems, financial reporting, HR & Administration related issues, guiding management in making decisions for the company and ensuring that appropriate systems, procedures, and controls are operational.
The position holder will manage operational areas under the rules, regulations and guidelines of the company while ensuring the accomplishment of goals and targets given by Management, and bringing in-depth knowledge of industry regulations standards and Excellent leadership, communication, and collaboration skills to the business
Oversee and ensure financial systems and procedures that enable efficient and appropriate use of financial systems
• Monitor and record financial international transactions according to company policies and regulations
• Development and review accounting and financial policies and procedures
• Review of key account balances & Approve payments
• Ensure that changes in legislation or company structure are reflected without delays in internal controls and systems
• Ensure daily and month-end accounting activities such as reconciliations and journal entries are undertaken on time
• Provide technical staff relevant trainings to ensure understanding and compliance with financial policies
Effective management and oversight of working capital
• Coordinate the stock counts and end of year
• Coordinate and maintain a cash flow management
• Manage debtors, creditors and their accurate recovery and reconciliation on the balance sheet
• Coordinate the financial audit and subsequent annual reports
• Generate accurate and timely financial reports and statements for Management review
• Prepare financial reports monthly
• Ensure preparation of accurate and timely sales reports and inventory reports
• Preparing annual budgets, pricing, forecasts
• Monitoring closing processes, billing, invoicing, expenses, reimbursements, and payroll administration
Financial Management Systems
• Provide support in procurement of the computerized accounting systems through evaluation of various suppliers and provide recommendations best applicable system
• Monitor the performance of the financial management system through identification of system challenges and recommendation of system of functions that need improvement
• Ensure all the finance team members understand and are in position to effectively utilise the financial system
• Respond to accounting inquiries from management in a timely fashion
• Respond to all queries from external stakeholders on finance related issues
• Bachelor Business Administration (Accounting/Finance)
• Minimum 5 - 6 years’ experience in similar role in a commercial international environment (commodities processing environment is a plus)
• Knowledge in CRM and accounting software
• Excellent leadership, communication, and collaboration skills
• Fluent in English and French
Attitude / Motivation
• Value adding (willingness to go an extra mile)
• Kindness (enthusiasm, passion, and encouragement to all)
• Result driven and Entrepreneurial
• Keep company information and operations confidential
Are you interested in becoming a Finance & Administration Manager in Côte d'Ivoire? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Chief Operating Officer (COO) in Tanzania , Tanzania
The Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for the following activities with all company operating entities (e.g., both in Tanzania and Uganda):
● Together with the Managing Director, directing the company, developing strategic initiatives, managing investor relations, securing growth funding, managing costs within board-approved annual budgets, ensuring healthy profits, and having accountability for the effective and efficient operation of each team and function (sales, production, quality assurance, supply chain, finance, HR and legal).
● Developing and managing each team towards achieving the objectives of each team and the company as a whole.
● Developing and improving the operational systems, processes and policies for all teams, optimising their processes and workflows (particularly cross-cutting processes), enforcing compliance with policies, applying lean ops/Kaizen principles to reduce wasted time and resources, and generally optimise the performance of each team.
● Developing the capacity and capabilities of all staff, both informally and through the formal performance management process.
Process & Operations Management
● Ensuring excellence in the management of the production, quality assurance, logistics and supply chain teams, particularly in regards to the vanilla and cocoa value chains, and manufacturing thereof, and ensuring all short and long term company and team objectives are met and underlying risks mitigated.
● Support all teams in:
○ Procuring, cost-effectively, adequate equipment, consumables and raw materials (e.g., raw vanilla and cocoa, production consumables, ancillary equipment & spares, technology systems, lab materials, etc.);
○ Improving the supply of key raw materials (e.g., vanilla, cacao), in terms of increased quality, volumes, productivity and land under cultivation, in a cost-effective manner;
○ Ensuring outstanding company reputation and quality of service with all relevant stakeholders (farmers, government authorities, customers, donors, investors);
○ Managing technology solutions, and related reporting and analytics, e.g., for mobile-enabled field team management, inventory management, workflow enhancements, etc;
○ Ensuring the company monitors and meets social impact indicators and targets, including indirect beneficiaries;
○ Supporting the teams for certification of, and compliance with, national and international standards (e.g., regulatory, occupational safety, food safety like FSSC 22000, organic, kosher, halal, etc);
○ Ensuring continual operational improvement (e.g., Kaizen, lean operations);
Compliance, Internal Controls & Audit
● Supporting internal service functions (Finance, HR and Legal) in adhering to, and improving upon, the company’s policies and procedures, particularly in regards to strategic growth
(new initiatives and international expansion), internal controls and regulatory compliance (e.g., Labor, Immigration, TRA, NEMC, EPZA, Municipal and District bylaws, Crop Boards,
various Ministries, Bank of Tanzania, Fair Competition Commission, etc);
● Assisting in the execution of said policies and procedures, including, for example, recruitment, employee relations, grievances, inventory control, etc;
● Auditing adherence and compliance with internal controls across all teams, departments, divisions, subsidiaries and related companies;
● Reviewing and ensuring correctness of financial and operational reports to team leads, management, the Board of Directors, shareholders, other investors/financiers and donors;
● Supporting the management of any subsidiaries, holding companies and franchise companies, both within Tanzania and abroad.
● Leading the continual engagement of government authorities, supporting and representing all teams who deal with regulatory and compliance topics;
● Providing input to government ministries and regulatory bodies in respect of the Company’s primary value chains and how these can be positioned and strengthened within the global
● Staying abreast of updates on government policies and legislation, particularly monitoring publications in Tanzania’s Official Gazette;
● Raising the profile of the company at national level, e.g., by engaging with relevant ministries.
Strategy & Funding
● Setting the strategic direction of the company (together with the MD) and of the constituent teams (together with team leads), developing strategic initiatives, securing funding for such
initiatives, and ensuring completion and effectiveness of such initiatives, as will benefit stakeholders including the organisation as a whole, suppliers (e.g., farmers and processors), investors and shareholders, and ultimately the regional economy;
● Assisting the MD in securing all manner of growth funding to achieve the company’s vision and mission, analysing financials and operational data, and writing investor and donor reports/proposals
● Following up on meetings and with external contacts to assist the Managing Director and Board Directors;
● Assisting in the preparation of general paper work for submission to government entities, parastatal organisations, investors, donors and other parties, as may be needed by the Company;
● Any other duties as may be required from time to time by the Managing Director or Board Director(s), and to assist peers and other team leads/officers as needed
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and competencies:
● Minimum criteria:
o Undergraduate degree or equivalent in Engineering or Science, with a Masters in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Operations Management or equivalent.
o At least 10 years of experience, preferably 15, in executive-level management positions, including significant experience at a multinational company;
o Expertise in agribusiness, outgrower networks, Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), engineering (mechanical, process, chemical), manufacturing, and/or food technology;
● Must have food processing background with ISO and FSSC certifications,
● Exceptional organisational skills, able to manage and move forward multiple projects/initiatives simultaneously;
● Excellent entrepreneur drive, interpersonal skills, able to relate to multiple foreign cultures, and manage people effectively in difficult circumstances;
● Outstanding ability to negotiate effectively with all stakeholders, including customers, contractors, farmers, farmer associations, service providers, agents, government (all levels), donors, investors, shareholders, directors and staff;
● Outstanding communication skills, both spoken and written, in both English and Swahili;
● Highly proficient with general computer productivity packages such as Microsoft Office, Google G Suite and ERP systems;
● Demonstrated strong leadership, able to inspire and influence others, set their teams’ strategy and lead their work independently;
● A passion for economic development, social impact and data-driven decision making.
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Operating Officer (COO) in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.