Supervisory Board Directors , Uganda
The Supervisory Board
Our client has a two-tier board structure in accordance to a European corporate governance framework, with a Supervisory Board (non-executive) and Management Board (executive). The Supervisory Board is responsible for supervising the Management Board’s activities in developing and implementing the business strategy and managing the principle risks associated with it. The Supervisory Board supervises the policies carried out by the management board and the general affairs of the company, with focus on the effectiveness of the company’s internal risk management and control systems and the integrity and quality of the financial reporting.
The Supervisory Board Directors shall always act independently and in the best interests of the company, and to that end, shall weigh the relevant interests of all the company’s stakeholders, including clients, staff and shareholders. The Chair of the Supervisory Board works with the CEO to set the agenda of the Supervisory Board meetings and chairs the meeting, stimulating and open and balanced discussion. Their role is to make sure that supervision and support are effective, proactive and constructive, based on a deep understanding of the company, its customers and the business environment.
The supervisory board will be expected to self-evaluate its own performance and that of its committees on an annual basis on the following four categories:
i. Strategy and business;
ii. Monitoring and risk management;
iii. Board dynamics and processes; and
iv. Composition and diversity.
We are seeking three new Directors for the Supervisory Board, including the role of the Chair.
We are seeking to create a strong and effective Supervisory Board with experience and track record in the African renewable energy sector, relevant subject matter expertise and corporate governance. Between the three positions, we are looking for the following key characteristics:
Direct experience in the renewable energy sector, preferably in Africa, either in an operational role or as an investor / lender role in the sector
Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably East Africa
Strong credit management expertise and experience
Relevant qualifications and experience in Finance and Accounting to Chair the company's Audit Committee (sub-committee of the Supervisory Board)
Experience with strategic sale, corporate financing structures / SPVs
Experience with early stage companies and leading change management / transition programmes
Strong commercial mindset, with experience in building profitable businesses
Ugandan or regional candidates with the relevant business networks are strongly preferred especially if based in the region or willing to spend time in country to be closer to the management
Focus on safety, ethics and compliance
Prior experience as a Board Director; ideally with knowledge of corporate governance framework and demonstrated ability to apply corporate governance principles in Board roles (For the Chair role, >10 years C suite / Board Chair experience preferred)
Experience of working with multi-cultural teams
Strong inter-personal skills, ability to constructively challenge and support the management team
We are committed to create a diverse and inclusive Board and would welcome applications from candidates who bring gender and cultural diversity to the Board.
You are committed to building commercially sustainable businesses to address the energy challenge in Africa. You can think strategically and look at the bigger picture, but at the same time bring a sense of urgency to get things done. You encourage open and constructive debate but can prioritise decisions and actions. You will hold people accountable to deliver on their commitments. People love to work with you because you are candid, positive and respectful. You are resilient, can adapt to changes and used to working in challenging business environments.
What to expect
The Supervisory Board meets in person usually in Kampala (or Nairobi) every quarter, typically over 1.5 days. In additional to the formal Board meeting (typically a full day) this may include strategy sessions, subject matter sessions, Board committee meetings, wider staff engagements and field visit.
In addition, there is a monthly call (60-90 minutes) to review business performance and progress against business plan targets.
As part of the onboarding process, you will be expected to spend 2-3 days in Uganda in the headquarters and in the field to get acquainted with the market, the company and the team.
You may also be expected to Chair or participate in relevant committees or working groups.
There may be periods of heightened activity when you may have to join additional calls or meetings (eg around fund raising activities)
The appointment is for a period of two years, with the option to extend.
The company compensated the costs of travel and accommodation and offers and appropriate remuneration for your time.
CEO in Uganda , Uganda
The CEO designs a plan and leads the execution of the plan to lead the company to sustainable profitability. The CEO is successful when he/she has built an efficient team of leaders, that can work together to successfully design and execute a winning strategy for the company.
Reporting to the Supervisory Board, the CEO builds a sustainable foundation for profitable growth. Once proven in its home market, the organizational capacity has been built to successfully expand into new markets.
Key Profile priorities
• Proven Leadership experience ideally at C-level
• Turnaround / restructuring experience incl. change Management
• Strong commercial experience and track record
• Stakeholder Management (shareholders, lenders, public/government, etc)
• Experience of doing business in Uganda with local networks, preferably Ugandan national
• Experience in start-up environment an advantage
CEO JOB SPECIFICATIONS
1. The Role
a. Reporting to the Supervisory Board, the CEO is Responsible for the overall leadership of the Organization to lead the company to profitability and ensure a viable sustainable profitable business
a. Implementation of the strategic plan and business model to ensure the viability of the company and is subsidiaries
b. Leadership of the operating and functional units to ensure achievement of the plan
c. Ensuring the company remains competitive in the market place through continuous optimization and innovation
d. Continuous improvement of operational process and cost efficiencies
e. Annual plan formulation and setting and alignment with stakeholders.
f. The key point of contact with Shareholders, lenders, Grant Funders and Donors
g. Regular (monthly) Reporting to the Supervisory Board on company performance
3. Experience and Qualifications required
a. Strong/empathetic leader able to inspire an organisation to deliver the plan
b. Proven experience in leading a larger organisation, preferably at C-Level
c. Proven experience in having restructured or re modelled a business
d. Track record in driving cultural and leadership change
e. Strong Commercial experience with a delivery track record of growth
f. Proven experience in managing an organization in developing markets and driving growth in markets with low income customer base
g. Proven experience in having optimized costs and operating efficiencies
h. Proven experience in having driven and led a low-cost sourcing and procurement policy
i. Solid Understanding of financial instruments, Micro financing and debt equity management
j. Demonstrates tight cash and working capital leadership
k. Strong Stakeholder Management Skills, incl. Shareholders, lenders, Government institutions, donors
l. Strong preference would be for someone with experience in start-up environment
m. Preference would be for someone who has led an electric or component marketing organization
n. Masters or degree in Business/commercial/Financial management
Are you interested in becoming a CEO in Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Managing Director in Liberia , Liberia
The Managing Director (MD) is the primary leader in this location.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Demonstrating on a daily basis ‘what good looks like’.
• He/she will be the chief local custodian of the company culture and the company's Way of Working.
• Managing and owning the P&L, the MD is expected to openly embrace challenges with a problemsolving mindset and to unlock the full potential of the organization by relentlessly developing its people.
• The MD is expected to be a LEAN leader that continuously strives to make the company the best in class operator through standardization and sharing of best practice globally in an inclusive, transparent manner.
• Furthermore, the MD is the chief stakeholder manager of the entity, ensuring productive and positive relations with all relevant stakeholders such as customers, governmental agents, regulatory authorities and labor unions, with a visible presence on the ground with both employees and customers and a high degree of intimacy.
• Finally, the MD is the primary enabler of global company standards within a local context and acts as the entity’s chief safety owner, leader and ambassador.
Behaviors and attributes:
• Health, safety, security & environment – Understands and actively embeds HSE as a value, by taking collective and individual responsibility for driving HSSE improvement. Has integrated HSSE into business making processes and programs and understands their impact and influence on risk management. Demonstrates accountability by engaging and supporting the workforce to learn from incidents and remains fully and emotionally involved and engaged in HSE every day.
• Drives vision & purpose – Demonstrates a deep-seated and consistent perseverance to deliver on the overarching vision and goals of our company. Shows strong belief in and sense of ownership of that vision. Thinks and acts at an enterprise level and infuses day-to-day leadership and communication with same. Actively drives engagement across all layers of the organization by instilling a fundamental sense of purpose, starting with the question of ‘why’ we do what we do as a business.
• Drives business performance – Relentlessly and continuously ensures that the business strives for excellence, by ensuring that customers receive excellent service and all employees embrace excellence in all of their activities and deliverables. Shows ongoing drive for efficiencies and improvements in all parts of the business, by consistently linking ‘Way of Working’ to solve/deliver business priorities and objectives, as well as leveraging all elements and tools of the ‘Way of Working’ to drive a business system that is indistinguishable from ‘normal’ functional activities. Always acts responsibly and with full accountability towards shareholders in terms performance and return on invested capital.
• Customer orientation – Exhibits a ‘customer first’ attitude in all decisions and considerations, with the ultimate aim of whatever we do must be good for our customers. Strives to deeply understand expectations and requirements of both internal and external customers, and weaves this into daily operations and initiatives.
• Critical thinking – Displays a sense of ongoing curiosity about the world, both inside and outside the company, with the expectation to ‘learn and share something new’ every day. Questions established patters of operation and shows a continuous ‘drive for improvement’ and goes to Gemba by default. Evaluates multiple approaches to a problem by applying structured problemsolving skills and drives a consistent problem-solving culture through Kaizen methodology.
• Collaboration – Drives a collaborative approach across all levels and functions of the organization and builds effective teams. Actively builds bridges and counters silo thinking and demonstrates how to make a matrix organization work well. Advocates a culture of reaching out across teams and departments to ask for best practice to find solutions.
• Instills trust – Demonstrates ongoing integrity in words and actions, as well as deep selfawareness. Stays true to fundamental values and philosophy of our company. In spite of strategic adjustments, never compromises strategic and corporate principles, values and ethics.
• Situational adaptability – Demonstrates a mindset of flexibility and agility, while not losing sight of the overall goal and underlying purpose. Has the ability to anticipate and overcome setbacks and unexpected new developments, and to persevere with regards to longer term objectives.
• People orientation – Actively develops talent and values differences in people. Displays a ‘coaching mindset’ in all conversations with subordinates. Focuses on asking the right questions to trigger deeper thinking and learning. Fosters a culture of proposing solutions to problems out of own initiative and reflection, and continuously gives and solicits timely constructive feedback in a structured manner. Holds leaders in his organization accountable to the same leadership philosophy.
• Influencing – Shows ability to find common ground and purpose with different parties and actors and distilling meaning for every participant. Actively drives necessary change and secures buy-in
from all relevant stakeholders, with and without immediate authority. Exhibits an attitude of humility and curiosity toward other people’s opinions, beliefs and experiences. Consults widely and does not pretend to have all the answers. Practices active listening skills and expects the same from leaders in his/her organization.
• Inspiring – Displays an ability to make sense of the world through storytelling and demonstrates ‘wholehearted leadership’ that includes publicly sharing personal failures and tribulations, and how those have been overcome. Ensures that all layers of the organization are continuously reminded about the overarching purpose and links all initiatives and engagements back to the same purpose. Exhibits the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, and to effectively tailor the message depending on the audience. Practices active two-way communication in all forums and situations.
• Cultivates Innovation – Shows an attitude of openness and curiosity to new technology and its benefits. Displays ‘early adopter’ attributes and proactively stays up-to-date on technology developments. Leverages the opportunities in automation and digitization to continuously improve processes and efficiencies.
• External focus – Demonstrates a ‘from the outside in’ mentality and outlook on business. Proactively keeps up-to date on current political, social and economic events and developments and reflects upon implications for the business. Preempts the impact of external developments by timely strategic/tactical adjustments.
• Performance management – Has a thorough grounding in operational performance management and corporate governance, by virtue of having had full leadership responsibility for an organizational unit.
• Commercial – Ideally has had exposure to a functional commercial role (CCO, Head of Sales etc.) or played a leading role in a strategic commercial project. Has held/led customer-facing positions and/or projects in the past.
• Working in a matrix – Worked in a matrix organization, having both ‘solid’ and ‘dotted’ reporting lines. Has successfully managed projects and strategic initiatives across different functions, brands, business units and/or geographies.
• Stakeholder management – Experience in managing a diverse and potentially adverse set of stakeholders, such as port authorities, regulatory authorities, governmental agents, unions, international organizations etc.
• Relevant industry experience – Prior exposure and/or in port management/operations, shipping, transportation, freight forwarding and/or logistics.
• Non-industry experience – Has some work experience from and/or exposure to outside the industry, such as FMCG, oil & gas, regulatory authorities etc.
• Working across cultures – Has had significant work experience outside home country and/or immediate cultural context.
• Leadership experience – Has significant successful leadership experience, including both ‘leading individual contributors’ and ‘leading other leaders’. Project management experience is an added asset.
• People development experience – Has successfully developed own successor in one of previous roles.
• Strategy development and execution – Has taken lead in successful development and execution of a long-term strategic initiative.
• Working in complex ownership structures – Leadership experience in an entity with complex ownership structured such as joint ventures, public-private partnerships etc., and has successfully navigated the stakeholder landscape.
Functional skills and requirements:
• Lean – Should have a grounding in tools of Lean academy level 1 (minimum) or 3.3 (ideal). Has the ability to leverage basic problem-solving tools and facilitate discussions to generate improvements and solution (D.I.V.E.). Has thorough grounding in and end-to-end understanding of Operating Systems.
• Operations management – Knowledge of and experience in managing of port- and container related processes and has led significant improvement initiatives in same.
• Negotiation – Should possess solid negotiation skills, and a track record of successfully concluding negotiations and resolving conflicts with high stakes. Displays proactive conflict resolution skills.
• Compliance – Awareness of ongoing business and operational risks. Has played an instrumental role in identifying and addressing past compliance issues, and has actively driven risk management strategies and processes, as well as non-compliance investigations.
• Financial understanding – Has a thorough grounding in fundamentals of business finance (financial data, financial statements, cash management, banking, planning, budgets, profitability, solvency, liquidity etc.).
• Strategic planning – Has led strategy development and execution initiatives in the past.
• Commercial planning – Prior exposure to launching a new product into the marketplace and/or has played leading role in developing plans to ensure operations are in place to handle distribution and feedback from customers.
• Media – Previous successful interaction with various forms of media (TV, print, social media etc.) and has built a solid skill set in terms of adequately and concisely communicating with media representatives, without compromising business interests.
• Change leadership – Is familiar with common change leadership frameworks (Kotter etc.) and has successfully led strategic change initiatives in the past through all critical stages.
• Mentoring and coaching – Has acted as a mentor to junior employees in the past and is an experienced practitioner of established coaching models (especially GROW, High Performing Teams etc.
Are you interested in becoming a Managing Director in Liberia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Managing Director in Tanzania , Tanzania
Our client, a company producing beverages, wishes to recruit a managing director (MD) to carry it through and beyond its existing strategy.
1. Expectations from new MD
1.1 Market expansion
The existing strategy of the company is to grow focus on its current brands to the end of 2022. However, they shall be happy if the new managing director will take us through a market expansion to a larger part of east African region, which includes Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda, and South Sudan. So to a larger part and not necessarily to the entire region.
1.2 Product diversification
To continue with the growth objectives, they would appreciate to diversify into other conventional products.
1.3 Strategic investor
The new MD is therefore expected to lead an initiative to write a new strategic plan to accommodate the out of the box ideas he/she will implement. We believe that the company has a huge potential for growth and expansion. This can include opportunities for inviting a strategic investor who can acquire up to 49% of the company shares. There are matters that will arise as a result of strategic investor which includes but not limited to having own appointed directors in the company which they are open for.
1.4 Improve liquidity
Such an expansion will enable the company to consolidate its position as a leading producer of beverages for low income consumers in East Africa and resolve the large liabilities that accumulated during the times of turbulence from 2016 to end of 2019.
1.5 The wishes of market expansion and product diversification have been the wish of this company and several unsuccessful attempts have been made towards this. For the company the main reason for the initiatives not to succeed is limited skills of the management.
2. Proposed renumeration and benefits
2.1 Renumeration of EURO 4,000 to 5,000 nett of social security benefit and payroll taxes
2.2 Furnished accommodation with basic facilities (Furniture, Fridge, TV- items of personal nature like bedsheets, pots plates and similar are a responsibility of the MD)
2.3 Air time EURO 100 per month
2.4 Self-drive car with fuel and unlimited mileage within Tanzania
2.5 AAR worldwide medical insurance to staff and wife or husband and children
2.6 Working days will follow the company established timetable that is Mondays to Fridays from 8.00am to 5.00pm and in between there is one-hour lunch break from 1.00 to 2.00 pm, and on Saturdays from 8.00 am to 1.00 pm.
2.7 28 calendar leave days for each year of service.
2.8 Once a year air ticket to his home country if outside Tanzania for MD wife and children-under 18 or above 18 but school going.
2.9 NB: No provision to school fees for children. There are three international schools in Arusha, Braeburn, (UWC School) Moshi International school Arusha Branch- IB syllabus, and St. Constantine School-Cambridge Syllabus)
Are you interested in becoming a Managing Director in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Head of Sales for East Africa , Kenya
Our client is a fast-growing technology company delivering solutions to agribusinesses in emerging markets.
1. To lead the development and retention of new and existing clients in the agribusiness industry in East Africa.
2. Engage in industry building spaces to raise the commercial profile of the company brand and expand commercial network and partnerships.
3. Grow the existing distribution partnerships to increase the scope and reach of the company's commercial activity in East Africa.
Experience and Qualifications
1. Strongly motivated and knowledgable individual that is passionate about agriculture.
2. Degree in business, marketing or related topic. Advanced degree an advantage.
3. 5+ years experience in agribusiness or cold chain logistics in East Africa, particularly in Kenya, and/or
4. 5+ years experience in sales and marketing and B2B sales of technology or services in the East Africa region, particularly Kenya.
5. Strong presentation and communication ability and the ability to communicate with C-Suite level clientele.
6. Fluency in English and a working knowledge of Swahili is an advantage.
7. Experience in commercial work in multiple countries in East Africa.
- Full time role based in Nairobi
- Contract will be base pay and commission
- Full drivers license and having a vehicle is an advantage
- Travel outside of Nairobi and around the region at least 25% of time
- This vacancy is open to Kenyan nationals and internationals that have a valid work permit or permanent residency in Kenya
Are you interested in becoming a Head of Sales for East Africa based in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Sales Manager in the UK , United Kingdom
The new Sales Manager will be responsible for the overall Sales and Business Development for our client.
Our client is a distributor for 34 countries in East, West and Central Africa.
• Day to day responsibility of all regional sales leads, follow up and strategies within the sales team
• Overseeing the regional sales offices in Dakar, Addis Ababa, Nairobi and Mombasa
• Overseeing the regional sales managers, sales support staff and local partners, both remotely and through regular office visits
• Sales team’s sales trip planning, reviews and follow up
• Direct Sales responsibility for Nigeria and Ghana, including regular visits
• CRM supervision on sales team (opportunities, activities, account management and follow up policies)
• New product, systems and solutions review and implementation within the sales team
• Development and improvement of the Company’s sales and marketing strategy
• Development of new markets, expanding customer base
• Monthly review and follow up on sales targets, sales strategies and product development
• Review and implementation of product sales pricing and margin optimization
• Sales team equipment, stock and product knowledge management.
• Sales team presentations development
• Sales team product training and sales pitch review
• Sales team SOP review and implementation
• Adherence to all company policies, procedures and business ethics and ensures that they are communicated and implemented within the sales team.
• Responsible for regular reporting to MD on all Sales team activities
Key Skills Required
• Knowledge and experience of working within the E & W African region
• Educational level minimum Bachelors
• Be ambitious/innovative/self-driven/motivated
• Proven Sales track record and sales target achievements
• Business to business sales experience
• Be IT proficient. Knowledge of CRM use would be an added advantage
• Be flexible and adaptable, and a fast learner
• Have good research and presentation skills
• Be able to fluently communicate in English (French is an added advantage)
• Have good writing skills relevant to a business set up and tone of speech
• Have high standards of professionalism and ethics
• Adheres to all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes and ensures that they are communicated and implemented within the team.
Are you interested in becoming a Sales Manager in the UK? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Resident Director in Mozambique , Mozambique
Our client is a large civil engineering company and following a restructuring of their southern African business, there is a vacancy for the role of Director Advisory Group & Resident Director: Mozambique. The role is responsible to ensure profitability, sustainability and continuity of the Mozambique department. The appointment to the role will be for a period of two years. The role will be based in Maputo.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Director Advisory Group:
• Lead the allocated part of the Business Unit in order to ensure profitability, sustainability and continuity of the Business Line.
• Prepare and manage a realistic and ambitious annual budget for the AG, in line with corporate guidelines and in coordination with other relevant parts of the business.
• To be responsible for the successful achievement of annual targets for the Advisory Group as measured by the standard financial metrics (Profit & Loss), TIP and QHSE audits and revenue generation.
• Realise commercial goals by identifying opportunities in the market, in collaboration with the Chief Commercial Officer, and supporting sales initiatives and client relationship management.
• Supervise management of projects in close collaboration with all parties and stakeholders involved and work in close collaboration with the Director Operational Excellence to realise the goals set for the AG.
• Build, maintain and leverage a professional network of internal and external stakeholders or partners and represent the AG internally and externally.
• For their specific Advisory Group, the DAG is overall responsible for products, services and processes.
• Ensure efficient and effective operations by driving collaboration and network performance.
• Lead organisational development and changes and act as a role model for desired behaviours, live the core values.
• This position may include technical and commercial responsibilities in addition to AG management.
• Accountable for the sound governance of the Mozambican entity in terms of, inter alia, legal compliance, project execution and fiscal and tax obligation.
• Responsible for reputation management and incident and crisis management of the Mozambican entity.
• Responsible for the operational management of the Mozambican office, including support functions, ensuring local compliance to the company's policies and procedures.
• Responsible for the execution of Corporate Social Responsibility related activities in Mozambique.
• Prepare formal board resolutions.
• Act as the primary contact in the country, both internally and externally.
• Formulate the strategy and business plan of the AG and ensure implementation and follow-up.
• Collaboration with the Business Line Management team in the delivery of BL strategy.
• Promote culture transformation within the BL.
• Responsible for achieving working capital management targets and cash flow for the advisory group.
• Management and responsibility of overhead budget.
Internal Operations/Business Processes
• Compliance of AG activities with the companies’ procedures and BL guidelines.
• Drive change within the AG – ensuring engagement with new processes, procedures and Digital Way of Working.
• Accountable for the efficient and effective execution of projects and implements and integrates all relevant internal processes.
• Responsible for the submission of proposals to SA ROC.
• Responsible for the order and sales portfolio of the AG, maintaining order book levels (firm and potential) at target levels for the AG.
• Proactive Management of opportunities and leads.
• Co-ordination of the marketing activities if applicable.
• Ensure all client activity is recorded on CRM.
• Responsible for Client relations including maintaining or achieving client satisfaction.
• May be required to perform account management for named accounts within the Business Line.
• Manage employee resourcing including liaison with other AG’s to ensure capacity is available and/or utilised efficiently and effectively within Business Line and across BL borders.
• Responsible for team formation to fit market requirements, including recruitment, resource and succession planning.
• Development of employees - ensure development reviews are completed, training planned and followed up, knowledge is shared, and staff are encouraged to reach their full potential.
• Take overall responsibility for employee issues within the AG, including annual reviews, performance management, and welfare of employees.
• Facilitate engagement and communication within the AG.
• Work with DBU to ensure that opportunities for disciplined (targeted) collaboration across AGs are identified and achieved.
• Ensure sustainable financial performance.
• Ensure corporate governance and compliance of the entity.
• Drive culture transformation.
• Design and drive new strategies
• Deliver high margins
• Run an intact business
• Deliver exceptional customer service
• Represent the organisation externally
• Facilitate a collaborative culture
Minimum qualifications, skills and experience:
• Relevant technical or business degree.
• Post graduate qualification is advantageous.
• Professional registration is advantageous.
• (Recent) experience of managing part of a business and/or multi-disciplinary project teams with line, profit & loss, commercial and contracts responsibilities.
• Entrepreneur with clear market drive, focus on clients and client network as well as on performance of the AG in this respect.
• Performance driven and achievement (results) oriented.
• Able to translate broad strategies into clear objectives and practical action plans.
• Client centric and a high level of business acumen.
• Stimulates collaboration across BLs.
• Cultural sensitivity.
• Supportive leader with coaching skills.
• Accountable and responsible.
• Able to use judgement and discretion effectively and appropriately.
• Excellent communication, facilitating and influencing skills.
• High level of integrity.
• Willing to travel to suit the requirements of the role.
Are you interested in becoming a Resident Director in Mozambique? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Chief Operating Officer in Kenya , Kenya
Job location: Nairobi preferred. Johannesburg possible.
Chief Operations Officer Job Description
Our client is a fast-growing technology company delivering solutions to agribusinesses in emerging markets.
The COO role requires a dynamic and experienced professional to bring their expertise to the the company's C-Suite. As Chief Operating Officer you will oversee the short-term performance and execution of the commercial strategy of the company, as well as supporting the continuous development of key business units ranging from design to procurement, project management and sales and marketing.
At high level, you will oversee supply chain management, project development and execution, and take full account for budget and commercial performance. You will provide leadership to the operational team, developing and executing on operational controls and management systems, ensure effective internal communications among the global team and network of stakeholders, and work with the C-Suite and Board to develop strategy and ensure operational cost-effectiveness.
This role will offer a competitive remuneration package, management autonomy and opportunities to build and develop a dynamic and growing business in emerging markets.
Key Responsibilities of the Chief Operations Officer:
• Developing, implementing and overseeing the operational budget
• Developing organisational capabilities and improvement of systems and resources for project development and delivery
• Developing, together with staff and C level peers, sales, sourcing and delivery strategies
• Developing operational excellence in the design, management and execution of commercial cold chain projects, including sourcing, incoming and outgoing logistics, sourcing, manufacturing, certification and compliance.
• Developing, together with staff and C level peers, new business lines and service models from concept and testing to productization and scale.
• Developing and ensuring the delivery of after-sales services.
• Ensuring continuous operational performance improvement by managing changes to strategy, structure and resources
• Responsible for supplier selection, acquisition, contracting, and management both for procurement and after sales
• Manages sales, design, procurement, logistics, project management and after sales staff
• Development and oversight of ERP systems, performance monitoring and reporting standards
• Ensuring operational adherence to applicable industry practice and
• Responsible for health and safety within the Company and suppliers’ compliance
• Responsible for product and projects regulatory compliance to standards, norms and practices in the industry
Who You Are
• A strong leader who thrives in a collaborative commercial environment.
• You are analytical and thorough in your approach to problems and opportunities, and instinctively bring structure to complex situations.
• Whatever the task, you constantly strive for excellence.
• You have a proven track record of driving growth and scale in commercial operations in emerging markets.
• You have a degree in business, finance or technology with 10+ years of experience in a senior operations management role, all of which has been gained in the agriculture, cold chain logistics or technology industry.
• You have at least 5 years of experience based in a relevant emerging market, ideally in Africa.
• You have a strong knowledge and understanding of the agri-food industry.
• You are skilled in organisational development, IT systems, personnel management, budget and resource management and strategic planning.
• You have strong business and commercial acumen with track record in dealing with B2B customers and supply chain partners.
• You have strong inter-personal communication skills, public speaking experience and an ability to lead and influence at an executive level.
• Desirable: A Master’s degree in supply chain, finance, business or engineering
• An ability and willingness to travel or relocate as required for the successful execution of the job will be important.
NOTE: Only national and resident candidates will be considered.
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Operating Officer in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.