Our client is an NGO that runs a large scale sustainability programme involving farmers, the private sector, civil society in building a mainstream commodity.
The overall objective of this role is to start up the East and Southern Africa Regional Office in line with the existing strategy and to support system change in farming in the region – making the cash crops better for the people who produce it, the environment it grows in and the sector’s future. The East and Southern Africa Regional Office will work closely with the headquarters office Implementation Team in the coordination and delivery of Country Plans that support the company's Strategy.
At the end of the project, the consultant will have delivered:
1. The establishment of a functioning, regional presence within budget
2. Improved capacity of implementing and strategic partners in the region
3. An assessment of the viability and reliability of existing and potential strategic partners
4. Processes and team fit for purpose to support ongoing work with global team
5. Strengthened the company’s presence in the region with cohesive, implementable workplans and workstreams
6. Advocacy for national embedding in at least two key countries yielding national-level in-kind and or budgetary support to local farmers accessing the Company.
Overall tasks and functions
This is a global project based in the designated region. The consultant will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Director of Implementation, and in collaboration with the global programme and country teams.
The consultant shall perform the following tasks:
• Based on the company's regional implementation strategy, work closely with implementation and strategic partners to ensure they are equipped to deliver high quality farmer capacity building programmes.
• Support and collaborate with the company's Standard and Assurance team on the execution of the Assurance Programme including:
• Training partners on the Assurance Programme and related data collection and following up on its submission according to Assurance Programme deadlines
• Planning and conducting field assessment visits throughout the season and following-up on improvement activities. Accountable for timely communication between implementation partner and Chain of Custody throughout the farming season
• Lead on the development and implementation of Country Plans for the region (Mozambique, South Africa, Madagascar, and eventual new countries) in collaboration with the Assurance Program Managers and Secretariat to enable delivery of the global strategy and goals
• Overseeing existing partnership agreements with implementation partners including monitoring of assigned budget and support on funding opportunities.
• Assist Implementation partners and regional stakeholders on external communications about the company
• Collaborate with the Demand and Fundraising team in creating marketing and funding opportunities for the company (e.g. local value addition projects within the region). Support regional fundraising activities both for Secretariat and regional office: provide recommendations of funders, support proposals developments
• Identify risks and opportunities related to the in-country programmes and ensure appropriate escalation to the Secretariat
• Participate in, and contribute to, the ongoing development of the Africa Strategy, and implementation, as part of the company's Africa Working Group.
The following methodology is proposed to ensure the success of the assignment:
• The consultant will have a joint briefing/inception meeting with Director of Implementation, and relevant company staff. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss and clarify expectations on the expected outcome and deliverables of the assignment.
• The consultant will prepare a work plan at the beginning of the assignment, with clear timelines and milestones.
• Literature review, field visits, and conversations with staff, Implementing Partners, and relevant members and stakeholders.
• The consultants will regularly, ideally bi-weekly, brief the project supervisor on the development of the project, including progress and challenges.
• At the end of the assignment, there will be a debriefing meeting with the project supervisor to discuss the outcome of the assignment and the way forward.
This position is based in a regional hub and the consultant will be expected to travel to country programs and company headquarters as needed.
The consultant will build regional operations from an existing small team of the existing regional coordinator for Southern Africa and Programme Officer and working closely with the strategic partners for the region.
Advanced University Degree (minimum Master’s Degree in sustainability, agriculture, international development or another related field).
• 10+ years of relevant experience in East and Southern Africa
• Experience in managing and developing teams
• Demonstrated experience in planning, design, preparation, and delivery of capacity building programmes
• Knowledge and/or experience with smallholder agriculture; knowledge of cash crop production or global commodity supply chains.
• Experience with voluntary sustainability standards a plus.
Skills and Attributes:
• Results oriented
• Effective communicator
• Excellent proven written and spoken English
• Swahili/Portuguese/other regionally relevant language skills desirable
• Strong oral and written communication English skills
• Must be able to travel at least one week per month equivalent. The length and locations will be determined based on available budget, identified priority areas, and capacity to support the visit by country teams.
Duration and remuneration
The duration of the assignment will be for 6-8 months
Are you interested in becoming a Regional Programme Start-up Consultant? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is a well recognized and established company in Tanzania dealing in a wide range of businesses. We are looking to recruit a key manager for its Rice Estate.
Post: Rice Farm Manager
With over 8000 acres of rice farmland available with systematic flood irrigation, our client is on search for a Rice Farm Manager. This position is responsible for overseeing all processes in rice production meaning from plantation to harvest.
This exciting opportunity is suited to candidates looking for a challenging but rewarding work environment. The ideal candidate should at a minimum have the following experience:
- At least ten years experience in large scale rice farm management.
- Proven ability of lowering cost of production without lowering yield expectations thus increasing profit.
- Ability to manage, train and develop other field officers in achieving projected targets on yield.
- Proven Experience in production costs and stock control.
1) Directs and coordinates worker activities, such as land preparation, sowing, transplanting, maintaining, irrigation, chemical and fertilizer application, harvesting, grading, payroll, and recordkeeping.
2) Coordinates growing activities with those of engineering, equipment maintenance, storage and trading departments
3) Analyzes market conditions to determine acreage allocations.
4) Confers with purchasers and arranges for sale of crops.
5) Records information, such as production, farm management practices and prepares financial and operational reports.
6) Determines procedural changes in drying, grading, storage, and shipment for greater efficiency and accuracy.
7) Analyzes soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production.
8) Inspects equipment to ensure proper functioning.
9) Inspects orchards and fields to determine maturity dates of crops or to estimate potential crop damage from weather.
10) Plans and directs development and production of hybrid plant varieties with high yield or disease and insect resistant characteristics.
11) Advise on purchases of machinery, equipment, and supplies, such as tractors, seed, fertilizer, and chemicals.
12) Hires, discharges, transfers, and promotes workers.
13) Enforces safety regulations, and interprets policies.
14) Evaluates financial statements and makes budget proposals.
15) Undertake general management of non production related matters of the farm like cleanliness, and organization.
16) Draw up a budget for expenses and compare periodically and take corrective actions
17) Explore and discuss ways to improve efficiency in all operations
18) Should be responsible for maintaining relationship with various stakeholders in the industry.
19) Responsible for all farm staffs locating, training, and supervision
20) Responsible for day-to-day farm operational decisions
21) Act as a leader within the company
22) Reports to the General Manager and Resident Director
We are looking for a candidate of a practical nature, good team player, has plenty of energy and is able to work under pressure. English speaking and good communication skills would be an advantage.
Work permit, relocation and housing allowance will be included in this package for a successful candidate.
Are you interested in becoming a Rice Farm Manager in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is a global organization committed to improving the lives of children and youth affected by conflict, disease and poverty.
The Ghana Country Office is currently searching for a qualified and self-driven candidate to lead a team of professionals in Ghana as Country Director and be part of the Global Leadership Team at the organisation.
The Country Director reports directly to the Vice President Africa Programs, providing high level oversight, strategic guidance and technical support to the Country Office. The ultimate goal of the position is to manage and grow the organization’s programming, to increase the quality, efficiency and long term impact of the program; and to promote and advocate for sustained high level engagement of government and civil society.
Job Responsibility #1: Communication and Representation (25% of Time):
• Represents organisation in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contributes towards consolidating and raising the profile of the organisation.
• Develops and strengthens relationships with local organisations and networks and establishes national strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society.
• Represents the organization in local media, promotes knowledge of programs, mandates and values amongst all stakeholders, potential partners and general public.
• Articulates concepts of Sport for Development (S4D) with confidence and authority.
• Facilitates donor visits, donor meetings, round table discussions and evaluations as necessary.
• Serves as the main local contact for all external stakeholders; develops and maintains links with relevant senior country representatives in donors, UN bodies, intergovernmental bodies, and other international NGOs.
• Promotes organizational identity and capacity to all stakeholders and partners and ensures the organisation remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
• Ensures strong working relationships and collaborations with current and new partner organizations through regular correspondence, engagement, reporting and meetings.
• Supports preparation and hosting of strategic donor and organisations HQ visits and workshops.
• Ensures that the organisation regularly has its local registration as an INGO renewed and updated to changes in local policies.
Job Responsibility #2: Donor Stewardship and Fundraising (20% of Time):
• Assesses potential partners and partnerships; secures and stewards local funding opportunities and builds the relationships on the grounds that are needed to support donor cultivation.
• Keeps abreast of the trends within the donor environment in country and internationally.
• Be aware of the donor conditionality and monitor adherence to the same.
• Leads proposal development for prioritized funding opportunities, facilitates participation by key team members to produce winning submissions.
• Leads the development of proposals for expansion of new programs and the continuation of existing ones through coordinated efforts with organisations Program Office team, HQ Global Program Partnerships and National Offices.
• Represents the organisation to current or potential donors to secure and sustain funding, including government/institutional donors, corporate sector and foundations.
Job Responsibility #3: Program strategy Development and Implementation (15% of Time):
• Develops the strategic vision and direction of the program(s) in line with the strategic direction of the organsiation.
• Develops and manages the portfolio of program activities of the country in line with the organsiations strategic country plans and region and global vision.
• Ensures accountability of the organsiations activities at all levels through efficient and transparent use of program resources.
• Develops concept papers and proposals as necessary for expansion of new and existing programs, taking into consideration local conditions, donor knowledge and existing talent.
• Provides leadership for the dissemination of organisations Values, Vision and Mission at the Country Level.
• Keeps abreast of the social-economic and political changes in the environment and undertakes timely strategic review of the organisations program strategy ensuring continued relevance within the area of focus.
• Maintains close communication with Regional Office in relevant factors and changes in environment.
• Coordinates the production of timely quality programme reports in line with the organisation and donor requirements.
Job Responsibility #4: Program Financial Management, Quality and Reporting (15%):
• Provides oversight to all finance and administrative services in the Program.
• Oversees the country annual budget and monitors and verifies the program budgets in adherence to approved budgets and procedures.
• Ensures adequate mechanisms are in place for monthly & quarterly budget monitoring and reviews and minimizes significant expenditure variances.
• Ensures monthly & quarterly financial monitoring systems provide timely and relevant reports to country staff, including analysis and tracking of grant commitments and obligations.
• Oversees the effective implementation and compliance with the overall Finance & guidance Manual and compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreement.
• Ensures all program staff have an understanding of financial and internal control systems, budget and work in compliance with the organsiations Finance policies, authorization level policies, procedures.
• Oversees the collation and timely submission of key technical, baseline, project evaluation, donor and other monitoring and evaluation related reports to donors, Regional Office and HQ as required. Oversees annual and project-specific audit processes within the Programs.
• Ensures that learning is regularly generated within all projects, documented and shared.
• Ensures all monthly, quarterly finance reports are accurate and submitted to RO/HQ in timely manner.
Job Responsibility #5: Human Resources Management, Capacity Building and Compliance (15% of Time):
• Oversees overall country HR management processes providing advice on the management of all staff to ensure that it’s carried out within the organsiations stated policies, practices and procedures as well as the country employment laws. Ensures that staff hire aims to high quality standards in terms of competencies, experience and character in order to drive the organization to excellence.
• Provides advice on the interpretation of policies, regulations and rules and supports the senior team in explaining rights and responsibilities to the staff.
• Coordinates regular reviews and updates of the country specific HR policies and procedures and ensures compliance with the overall HR manual and the national labour laws.
• Oversees and monitors efficiency and fairness of recruitment processes following the set organisations guidelines in coordination with the Regional and HQ office.
• Ensures all employees receive the appropriate orientation and understand the organisations structure, policies, processes and systems and the work required from them.
• Oversees the mentoring and training of staff to ensure that they have the appropriate skill levels for their positions and are developing to their full capacity.
• Ensures adequate implementation of the Performance Management System including performance work planning, reviews, appraisals and staff development.
• Leads, coaches and develops the senior team, ensures they are equipped with the required expertise at country level such as programmes, policy, advocacy and finance.
• Oversees staff compensation in line with approved budget and organisations compensation policy and approves the monthly payroll.
• Ensures that the country Senior Management Team is effective, mutually supporting and efficiently involved in decision making.
• Manages the exit of employees and ensures that information gathered during exit interviews are used for improvement.
• Responds to legal claims or investigations, seeking legal advice as appropriate.
Job Responsibility #6: Security, safety and welfare (5% of Time):
• Carries out risk, vulnerability and threat assessments as well as physical security assessments of all sites making prioritized recommendations for improvement through the Standard Operational Procedures and contingency plans, and follows through with approved recommendations until they are fully implemented.
• Liaises with local and regional officials, UN, NGO and other agencies regarding security issues in the planning, coordination, promotion of, and support for existing organisations projects.
• Ensures that Child Safeguarding and gender are integrated into all program and organizational risk assessments and budget and quality mitigation strategies are put in place.
• Ensures that staff, coaches, leaders and volunteers are aware of the Child Safeguarding and Gender Polices, receive adequate training, sign the Attestation of Commitment to Child Safeguarding Form and organisations Code of Conduct, and act in compliance with this policy.
Job Responsibility #7: Performs Other Duties (5% of Time):
• Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (must have):
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Development studies or other related discipline.
10 years’ experience in a leadership role within a large or international organization working on strategic planning, quality improvement, project planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, human resources and financial management.
• Proven knowledge of program management tools and procedures.
• Proven knowledge of budgetary control and financial management, including ability to read and understand financial data.
• Proven experience in proposal development and report writing.
• Demonstrated computer skills especially in MS Office packages.
• Understanding of country laws and regulations.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Asset to have):
• Strong understanding of financial analysis
• Sport and play industry experience
• Strategic planning skills
• Leadership, influencing and managerial skills
• Ability to gain trust and secure donor funding
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills to build rapport with staff, partners, government officials, donors and community leaders
• Creativity and problem solving skills
• Strong presentation skills
• Superior organizational skills and ability to multi-task
• Ability to work under pressure meeting deadlines
• Ability to travel in country and internationally.
• Ability to legally work in Ghana, without sponsorship.
Note: The successful candidate will be employed as a local staff member of Ghana. Compensation and benefits will follow the local package. This is not an international position.
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
Employment Start Date: Immediately
Contract Duration: Long term engagement based on performance and availability of funds
The Production Manager is the one having the final responsibility for an effective production and managing and overseeing the whole process and day-to-day operations. He/she is responsible for planning, organizing and regulating the production and maintenance operation, to guarantee effective return on capital and to minimize the costs.
This role is only open for national jobseekers.
Duties and responsibilities:
During the start-up phase being part of the installation process and when producing, being directly involved and responsible for leading production
Develop structure which enables the production and delivery of feed of consistently satisfactory quality and the requirements of health and safety and environmental legislation/policy to be met at minimum cost
Plan, organize day-to-day operations and increase production, based on customers’ needs
Leading and supervising all team- and shift leaders, production team and operators and being responsible for training/selection and performance of all team members
Responsible for production output, product quality and on-time delivery to customers
Overall responsibility of the maintenance team, in close collaboration with the Head Mechanic. Responsible for developing and implementation of a preventive maintenance program to avoid failures and to keep equipment and systems running efficiently
Responsible for keeping the machinery/list up-to-date, including ID number and details of each part and developing a stock-list for all necessary spares
Work in close contact with Manager Operations & Sales: In order to continuously improve organization and process
Work in close collaboration with Head of Procurement and Supply. When any changes in supply or source of raw materials will occur, the production manager has to be informed in-time in order to undertake action.
Develop systems and processes that track and optimize productivity and standards, metrics and performance targets (KPI) to ensure effective return on assets to produce optimal results
Implement strategies and actions for the accomplishment of the production goals, policies and procedures
Packaging and Labeling: Responsible for the correct packaging and labeling of the feeds.
Maintain hygiene- and safety standards and the implementations of all procedures
Providing daily, weekly and monthly reports for production, costs, maintenance, waste, stock and orders
Preparing a daily production plan based on stock and orders.
Ensures the right feed is available according to the daily sales/dispatch planning
Expected to give continuous input for improvement of production process, technically as well as in organizational field.
Prior experience (+5 years) in supervising people and managing production operations, as well as operating machinery (preferably within a manufacturing environment).
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or any related field
Intensive technical background and knowledge of production mechanics
has been working in a similar role in leading a food production line
Hands-on and proactive attitude that enables you to organise a full production process
Critical and analytic knowledge on how to optimize the process
Good problem solving skills
Having a good sense of commitment, leadership and social skills
Leading by example, motivating and supervising
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
Managing towards output and quality
Maintain good discipline and high performance
Firm and determined, to easily take the right decisions and take leadership
Are you interested in becoming a Production Manager in Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
JobnetAfrica is looking for Executive Search Associates to join our team.
We recruit and head hunt for international companies across different sectors around Africa. As our team members all are either based in Africa or have Africa living and working experience, we deliver great quality candidates to our clients.
Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Passion for Africa? Love traveling and working independently? Become part of our enthusiastic team of Africa specialists.
The new colleagues we are looking for:
* Must currently live in Abidjan
* Must have a vast international network in the Ivory Coast and preferably surrounding countries
* Must be a sparkling personality, a master networker and be passionate about sales
* Must be an independent worker and have self-drive
* Must be Fluent written and spoken in English and French
* Must have (international) recruitment experience
* Goodwill, network, clients and database JobnetAfrica (35.000+ international professionals)
* Website / IT (we constantly program new updates)
* Online marketing, social media, newsletters, LinkedIn headhunting techniques
* Content marketing, blogs
* Financial administration
* General administration
* Legal matters
* This is a remote working position, work from home and during travels
* Part time working optional
* Excellent financial structure (no cure no pay) and flexibility to work anytime anywhere
JobnetAfrica taking care of these aspects will give you the opportunity to fully focus on sales / recruitment / headhunting / networking and rapidly build a sustainable income for yourself. You can hit the ground running.
Interested? Hit the link 'Apply' below and come up with a great motivation of why you would like to join the JobnetAfrica lifestyle!
Our customer, a European group, is a leader in Agrochemicals in Africa. To support the strong growth of its African subsidiary active in Crop Protection, they are looking for an Area Manager West Africa.
This is a stand alone position that will be reporting to the Africa Director. You will be responsible for the sale of the company's products via distributors (mainly) and B to B in your area.
You participate in the development of the commercial policy and implement it by developing your portfolio through an effective prospecting. You are the interface between your customers and the different departments of the company (technical, marketing ...).
On the lookout for opportunities and strength of proposal, you cultivate a real proximity with your customers.
Ideally, with a higher education, you have a proven experience in the agricultural sector, and you master the techniques of negotiation and development of accounts for export.
This post is a great opportunity for an enterprising person with a strong interpersonal sense. Your rigor and your sense of organization will facilitate your success. Empathy, the ability to convince, creativity, the taste of the challenge and the result are abilities that you have acquired. Your analytical mind and your anticipation skills will be essential assets to succeed in this position.
This position, based in West Africa (location is flexible), requires frequent travel and good command of both French and English.
Our client is a Food processing company (potato crisps).
• Day-to-day responsible at factory through supervising teams (production, packaging, maintenance, quality, facility management).
• Coordination at factory (planning, forecasting, reporting, communication, management) and link to other departments (supply chain, finance, HR and sales).
• Develop professionalism and structure at factory through implementation and improvement of processes, clear management on KPI’s and budgets. Focus on training and development of local employees.
• Coordination and execution of projects, e.g. additional shifts, products, long-term plans.
• Day-to-day responsible for supply chain (planning, forecasting, logistics, inventory management) within budgets and quality specs.
• Development of supply chain through planning and coordination, contract management, support and knowledge transfer to farmers through team of agronomists, develop smallholder programs and coordination of logistics.
• Coordination other inputs supply chain (edible oil, packaging foil, carton) both imported and local, with clear ambition to move towards local sourcing within budgets and quality specs.
• Plant / Supply Chain Manager rapports to (Dutch) General Manager.
• Bsc (or Msc) in technology, production management, food science or other relevant field of education.
• Proven experience and preference in developing countries, preferably Africa.
• Managerial experience, preferably in food processing industry e.g. as production manager, operations manager, supply chain manager, team leader
• Strong leadership skills (role model) with open, positive and motivating/coaching attitude
• “Right-hand” for General Manager
• Strong communication skills (verbal, written)
• Structured, high-demanding, eye for detail and control, result-oriented, fact-based
• Stable personality and self-controlled
• Flexible, approachable, honest and trustworthy
Place of work
Ethiopia (Addis Ababa). Frequent traveling to farmers.
Are you interested in becoming a Plant and Supply Chain Manager (Potato Crisps)? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.