Executive Director of CMU Africa , Rwanda
Established out of a partnership between Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and the Government of Rwanda, CMU-Africa is addressing the critical shortage of high-quality engineering talent required to accelerate the economic development and digital transformation of Africa—home to the fastest growing workforce in the world. CMU-Africa was established in 2011 and is the only U.S. research university offering its master’s degrees with full-time faculty, staff and operations in Africa.
CMU’s presence in Rwanda provides a platform to engage in Africa’s most significant opportunities and challenges across the continent through world-class education and contextually relevant research.
Our vision is to educate and empower the next generation of African leaders and innovators by delivering a world-class educational experience. Our mission is to produce creative and technically strong engineers, who have been trained in the African context, and prepared to make transformative impact in their communities and the world.
We are seeking an Executive Director of CMU-Africa to provide strategic and senior operational leadership to our programs in Kigali, Rwanda. We are looking for someone who is passionate about the coming transformation of Rwanda and Africa, and want to be a driving force in that transformation. The scope of the role includes:
Overall operational oversight of CMU-Africa, ensuring the organization is effectively and efficiently delivering on the defined strategies, goals and objectives of CMU-Africa and its partner organizations
Growing CMU-Africa’s ability to attract significant new resources from governments, foundations, associations, individuals and corporations in Africa and around the world. This will include managing and nurturing relationships involving partner organizations that have the interest in and capacity to make groundbreaking commitments
Managing, together with our Director, commitments to all partner organizations, which includes regularly communicating with the Government of Rwanda and the MasterCard Foundation, currently two of the strongest partners to CMU-Africa
Building upon CMU’s world-class reputation and driving a marketing and communications strategy for CMU-Africa to engage key audiences
Along with the Director, you will be a key leader of CMU-Africa, and will help develop short-, medium- and long-term plans that will position the organization to operationally fulfill its mission, and spur the future engagement and investment needed. Reporting jointly to our College of Engineering Dean and CMU-Africa Director, you will balance high-level oversight and direction of multiple administrative areas including business operations, partnership relations, student affairs and student services. You will employ multiple strategies to emphasize direct relationship building with faculty, staff and students at CMU-Africa and with other colleges and university leadership.
Externally, responsibilities will also involve initiating conversations and interactions that can lead to transformational gifts enabling outstanding advances in Engineering-related teaching, learning and discovery. In addition, you will continue to find opportunities and initiatives and, in consultation with the Dean, Associate Dean/s and Director of CMU-Africa, develop new strategies and tactics sought at attracting more resources for CMU-Africa’s critical work. As part of the position’s development responsibilities, you will collaborate regularly with the college and university advancement team and external university partners. In this context, you will have familiarity with the college’s overall campaign priorities, as well as the individual strategies and key initiatives planned and launched to achieve those goals. In addition, you will develop alternative approaches that allow the college to build upon existing partnerships to attract major commitments needed to realize shared goals.
Core responsibilities will include:
Serving as the most senior staff member of CMU-Africa; executing operational oversight to ensure CMU-Africa is fulfilling on its strategies, goals, and objectives towards its mission
Working in partnership with the director, dean, and associate dean/s to develop and implement strategies to grow CMU-Africa’s brand and reputation on the continent. Managing relationships that are local, regional, national, and international in scope
Collaborating with our college and university’s development offices, to develop and implement a comprehensive plan for fundraising. This work will include planning, oversight, management, and performance measurement and solicitation strategies
Providing leadership to and managing all critical initiatives to ensure CMU-Africa is delivering on its goals and objectives
Directly supervising professional staff
8 or more years of progressive professional international experience in a related field required. At least 5 years’ experience at an academic or non-profit organization and a corresponding record of accomplishments in fundraising and operational management preferred
A strong global network with connections in Africa and across the global, who align with CMU-Africa’s strategic priorities. Work experience in Africa is strongly preferred.
Bachelor's degree required.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within CMU. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a dynamic population of internal and external partners at a high standard of integrity. We are looking for someone who can contribute through their work/life experiences to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
You should demonstrate:
Ability to drive and execute a high-level strategic plan and engage the organization behind it.
High degree of energy, creativity, flexibility, organizational and interpersonal skills
Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues
Demonstrated ability to work in a partnership culture
Strong aptitude for verbal and written communication, presentation, and relationship development
Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers both face to face and across time zones.
This position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Occasional nights and weekend hours maybe required. Regular international travel required.
Are you interested in this opportunity? Please apply at https://cmu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2015477&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of our employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Senior Program Officer - Nutrition , Ethiopia
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
About the organization:
Founded in 2008, Results for Development (R4D) has grown rapidly during its first decade, with a diverse set of programs in global health, education, and nutrition and funders that include bilateral donors, multi-lateral development institutions, and private foundations. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. The organization has offices in Washington, DC in the United States (140 staff), Ethiopia, Tanzania, and the UK. Outside of the U.S., we employ 21 staff in ten countries.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in building a better R4D.
R4D’s Nutrition Practice works with global and country change agents to find solutions to complex challenges that impede progress towards achieving the global goals for nutrition. Our growing nutrition team works across a broad range of areas, including:
Promoting increasing global investments in nutrition through sustainable financing approaches.
Approaches to integrate essential nutrition services into health systems.
Data for nutrition approaches, including promoting the use of data for nutrition decision-making.
Support transformation of food systems through multisectoral approaches
Structured learning approaches, to generate, share and translate knowledge into actions.
Our ongoing program of work in Ethiopia supports key government bodies and development partners. This includes:
Collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health to develop capacity to track budget allocations and expenditures and to use this for improved planning, accountability and stakeholder coordination.
Support for the development of the Seqota Declaration expansion and scale up phase roadmap and investment plan which will inform the Food & Nutrition investment case.
Support to strengthen systems for the treatment of wasting into routine health systems. This includes assessing country needs to generate practical research and guidance on wasting treatment integration into health systems; and an assessment of market barriers that limit the availability and affordability of ready to use therapeutic foods, and scoping opportunities to address them.
To support this mission, R4D seeks a Senior Program Officer (SPO) to join our rapidly growing Nutrition Practice to support the growing Ethiopia portfolio. This position is based in Addis Ababa and is unique opportunity to work closely with the R4D Ethiopia Country Director and provide leadership to R4D’s Nutrition practice in Ethiopia.
The SPO will serve as a critical member of project management teams, advising on overall project strategy and design, contributing technical expertise, managing project teams, and overseeing the implementation of activities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Lead activities in Ethiopia related to the integration of wasting into routine health systems by advising on project strategy, providing technical guidance and being responsible for the timely execution of work plans and completion of project deliverables
Build and manage relationships with partners in Ethiopia, internal and external experts consulted, and program managers involved in engagements
Support R4D Ethiopia Country Director in new business development
Provide thought leadership and technical expertise to the nutrition team and across the broader organization, including representing R4D in external settings and developing knowledge products
We are seeking an experienced professional with expertise in nutrition and/or health systems and strong project and partner management skills.
7+ years of relevant professional experience on issues related to health or nutrition or related fields
MD and/or Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant field preferred
Experience in nutrition programming through one or more WHO building blocks: Leadership & Governance, Financing, Supplies & Supply Chains, Human Resources, Information Systems, Service Delivery
Experience with wasting programs, or issues regarding Ready to Use Therapeutic Foods, is preferred but not required
Demonstrated ability to manage partner relationships and project workstreams including managing situations with potential for conflicts
Experience in capacity building/training, facilitation and stakeholder management
Experience in research, including desk research and stakeholder interviews
Proven capacity to synthesize technical content into effective presentations to high-level audiences
Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment across multiple projects and work streams with competing time/resource demands
High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability
Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Enthusiastic about joining a diverse and inclusive work environment
Motivated to learn, grow, contribute and produce
Technical Director , Ethiopia
Our client focuses on sustainable farming with small scale, subsistence farmers across East Africa, while investing in sustainable supply chains for global customers.
We are looking for a Technical Director, to be a member of the Executive Team, who will help the business strengthen its agricultural performance and drive the next generation of growth from 250 to 1,000 farmers over the next 3 years.
• Responsible to lead all agronomic operations and execution in Ethiopia
• Planning regenerative, multi-crop, year-round production with 250+ out-grower farms, while improving weekly harvest estimations and quarterly production forecasts
• Testing, evaluating and implementing new crops, cutting-edge smallholder technologies, and various engagement models
• Supporting field managers to motivate staff and drive improvements in smallholder yields and farm management
• Rapidly iterating and continuously improving our internal systems and processes
• Involved in all aspects of company leadership, strategy and management
• A background in commercial fresh-produce farming/growing
• Experience with regenerative or organic growing practices
• Experience leading teams in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment
• An analytical and entrepreneurial mindset
• Experience managing P&L, budgets, and production forecasting
Interested to join this innovative business and in being based in Ethiopia? We would like to hear from you.
Chief Engineer in Ghana , Ghana
For a client in Ghana, in the timber processing industry / exporting all over the world, we are looking for an experienced Electromechanical engineer with a Bachelor degree but preferably with a Masters degree with 8 to 10 years’ experience, including but not limited to construction, plumbing, carpentry, electrical engineering, environmental engineering, HVAC, and mechanical systems.
• Evaluating costs associated with each project / installation or maintenance
• Improving preventive maintenance and maintenance in general of existing installations.
• Coordinating and managing the engineering team, assigning short and long term goals for successful completion of the project’s plans
• Ensuring and reviewing safety of the worksite during the course of development
• Knowledge of principles of engineering
• Must have superior budgeting and cost management abilities, assessing estimated costs early in the project and bringing the actual costs in line
• Must be able to draft clear and comprehensive reports on the statistical efficacy of projects, the use and allocation of resources, and the quality of each finished project
• Must possess technical acumen and the ability to troubleshoot on a variety of projects
• Must be willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions, industrial settings, and construction sites
Our client offers a basic salary and :
• House fully furnished with all necessary utilities
• Great office environment
• Flights to visit home
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Engineer in Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
CFO in Cameroon , Cameroon
JobnetAfrica is recruiting an experienced Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to lead and execute our client's financial and investment strategy and to perform effective risk management.
Our client is active in the clean energy sector.
- Advise on long-term business and financial planning
- Establish, execute, and manage the capital investment plan and strategy
- Perform a risk management and mitigation plan by analysing the organization’s liabilities and investments
- Prepare (and improve if necessary) internal and external monthly financial reports including forecasts as per company financial policies and procedures
- Set up in place a comprehensive dashboard to map all the duties to meet the expectations and obligations from current and future investors
- Provide leadership, direction and management of the finance and accounting team
- Provide strategic recommendations to the CEO and members of the executive management team
- Establish and develop relations with banks, lenders, equity providers, donors and financial institutions
- Control and evaluate the organization’s fundraising plans and capital structure
- Prepare and lead the budgeting process
- Ensure cash flow is appropriate for the company’s operations
- Keep track of the company’s path to profitability milestones and ensure ongoing profitability of the business
- Set up and oversee the company’s finance IT system
- Ensure compliance with the law and company’s policies
- Direct audit and compliance activities
- Serve as a member of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
The CFO must be well-versed in all aspects of financial management ranging from simple accounting to broad investment and banking operations.
- Proven experience (2-3 years) as CFO, finance officer, finance director or other relevant role in a SME
- BSc/BA in Accounting, Finance, business economics or other relevant field
- In depth knowledge of corporate financial law and risk management practices
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting methods
- Sound knowledge around business, its financial dynamics and regulatory requirements across tax/commercial/banking/exchange regulations
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (e.g. SAP, ERP)
- Hands-on financial modelling
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and people skills
- An analytical mind, comfortable with numbers
- Strong appeal to the Renewable Energy sector
- Great deal of personal motivation to improve the living conditions of other men and women.
Are you interested in becoming a CFO in Cameroon? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Sales and Technical Support Manager in Ghana , Ghana
For our client who is a mine service provider, we are seeking a strong Sales and Technical Support Manager. The company is a highly customer focused organization and is constantly looking forward increasing intimacy with their clients through efficient provision of customers’ needs, services and technical support programs.
To further develop the company is seeking a service minded person to plan and coordinate all customer support activities within Ghana. This person must have an experience in the mining industry and has a good idea of the processes and business environment of the clients in this sector.
The ideal candidate
- Has a Post Graduate level in Metallurgical, Chemical Engineering predominantly in the mining environment
- Minimum of 5-7 years of working experience with a minimum of 2 years in the mining environment, understanding the processes and business problems in this industry
- Is a good communicator is an absolute must as you will be largely on your own visiting clients within Ghana and West Africa
- Has a good conduct of writing English
- Is an enthusiastic and curious personality
Are you interested in becoming a Sales and Technical Support Manager in Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
CEO in Ethiopia , Ethiopia
Our client is a leading food producing company in Ethiopia. The Company has been growing rapidly over the last 10 years and is poised to enter its next phase of growth supported by a significant private equity investment. Based in Addis Ababa, the Company is seeking a CEO to lead it through its next growth phase.
The Executive will be responsible for managing all aspects of the company’s operations and growth plans. The Executive shall report directly to the Board of Directors of the Company and shall actively lead and participate in strategic, operational and financial discussions and presentations to the Board. The Executive will be responsible for designing and executing on an operational improvement and growth plan.
Through the management of the Company and its employees, the Executive’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Ensure the overall coordination of the flow of tasks in the organization and the proper implementation of the action plans
2. Responsible for managing company-wide manufacturing process including the launch of new production lines
3. Design and execution of the growth plan including overseeing multiple new products / segments development at the same time
4. Drive operational and profitability improvement initiatives
5. Monitor closely the raw material sourcing process in view of Ethiopia’s current FX shortage issue
6. Promote quality achievement throughout the organization
7. Lead and motivate the senior management of the company and employees to achieve their goals and targets
8. Develop the mission, vision, strategic plan, annual action plan and budget of the company and ensure their implementation;
9. Prepare quarterly and annual performance reports regarding financial and non-financial performance of the company and submit to the Board of Directors
10. Ensure the implementation of good corporate governance in line with best practices
11. Manage all relationships on behalf of the Company and shareholders including those with the Company’s staff, clients, suppliers, government & regulatory bodies and strategic partners
Preferred Skills & Experience:
• Proven experience as CEO, COO or other senior managerial position in the FMCG sector
• Previous experience in the food sector is preferred
• Entrepreneurial mindset with strong leadership skills
• Ability to spot and resolve problems efficiently
• 10-15 years of relevant experience
• BSc/BA degree in the food industry, engineering or business preferred
Are you interested in becoming a CEO in Ethiopia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Senior Manager in Ghana , Ghana
Reports to: Managing Director
The role of Senior Manager is to provide senior leadership across the whole organizationand to lead it towards a mature and healthy organisation.
As the Senior Manager you will be responsible for overall leadership of the organisation, the longer-term strategy and improving day to day operations.
The Senior Manager will be responsible for the development of the organisation's team, attracting talent into the organisation and making sure the products and services the company offers surpass the expected standards. This is a social enterprise and you will be monitoring the social impact of the work and you will also oversee the financial viability of the business model. You will also be building an operating and business model that is scalable in other cities. You will be the spokesperson for the organisation, with a wide variety of stakeholders and you will liaise with and report to the Holding company in Europe.
• Financial: Reaching a positive operational result by end 2020 and improve financial reporting processes.
• Operations: Implementing a operational excellence program.
• Sales: With the successful implementation of the plant performance, sales should increase.
• Innovation: Overseeing the launch of new products and process improvements.
• Strategy: Implementing a medium-term strategy which gives direction and purpose to the organisation in Ghana.
• Data: Enhancing a data driven culture within the organisation, which will enable properly informed decision making and impact monitoring.
• People: Creating a positive culture that supports the goals of the business. To develop and train a strong team.
• Stakeholder management and Business development: Representing the Ghana office and actively engaging with the many organisations and government representatives. Explore opportunities and lay the ground to further replicate the service model in other parts in Ghana.
• Process management and Reporting: Ensure reporting tools and platforms are utilized and and that reporting deadlines are respected by the team.
1. To ensure good HR policies are developed, practiced and documented in a staff handbook;
2. To manage all staff and staff administration according to the agreed policies, including recruitment and staff performance;
3. To meet all Ghanaian rules and regulations regarding employment, and occupational health and safety;
4. To encourage professional development programmes for all staff;
5. To prepare a monthly Management Report;
6. To organise weekly staff and management meetings;
7. To make sure that ICT and information systems are regularly maintained and working at all times.
1. To lead the development of the company’s strategy for Ghana together with the local team and the European branch;
2. To represent the company in meetings with Ministries, other government agencies, NGO’s and the private sector in Ghana with the aim to expand the business to new locations in Ghana;
3. To build strategic partnerships and to manage formal partnership agreements with government agencies, corporates, educational institutions and NGO’s;
1. To develop an annual operating budget plan and budget, together with the MD, for approval by the board
2. To oversee the work of the Finance Manager and report monthly on the finances
3. To manage the income and expenditures
4. To ensure accounts are prepared for an annual audit
5. To make recommendations to the MD for best asset management
6. To manage, procure and dispose of all the company's assets, for example the vehicles.
Innovation, Project Management and R&D
● Define the goals and deliverables that support local and international business, together with senior management and stakeholders.
● To finalize projects according to strict deadlines and budgets
● Communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders
● Organise project management meetings
● Monitor contractual compliance
● Developing lessons learnt and defining the steps to be taken after the project is finished.
Essential skills and experience
● Senior business development and programme background, preferably in sanitation engineering, environmental engineering, agriculture or similar sectors.
● Strong preference in managing teams in developing emerging markets
● Minimum of 8 years senior management experience
● Strong leadership and team building qualities and contributing to a positive team culture.
● Experience with performance management matrix
● Excellent communication skills both orally and written. Experience in building relationships at senior levels of businesses and governments.
● Strong work ethic
● Highly organized, problem solver and results driven
● Focused, decisive and attention to detail
● Good interpersonal skills
● Pro-active nature
● Financially literate
● Innovative and flexible
Are you interested in becoming a Senior Manager in Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.