Supervisory Board Directors , Uganda
The Supervisory Board
Our client has a two-tier board structure in accordance to a European corporate governance framework, with a Supervisory Board (non-executive) and Management Board (executive). The Supervisory Board is responsible for supervising the Management Board’s activities in developing and implementing the business strategy and managing the principle risks associated with it. The Supervisory Board supervises the policies carried out by the management board and the general affairs of the company, with focus on the effectiveness of the company’s internal risk management and control systems and the integrity and quality of the financial reporting.
The Supervisory Board Directors shall always act independently and in the best interests of the company, and to that end, shall weigh the relevant interests of all the company’s stakeholders, including clients, staff and shareholders. The Chair of the Supervisory Board works with the CEO to set the agenda of the Supervisory Board meetings and chairs the meeting, stimulating and open and balanced discussion. Their role is to make sure that supervision and support are effective, proactive and constructive, based on a deep understanding of the company, its customers and the business environment.
The supervisory board will be expected to self-evaluate its own performance and that of its committees on an annual basis on the following four categories:
i. Strategy and business;
ii. Monitoring and risk management;
iii. Board dynamics and processes; and
iv. Composition and diversity.
We are seeking three new Directors for the Supervisory Board, including the role of the Chair.
We are seeking to create a strong and effective Supervisory Board with experience and track record in the African renewable energy sector, relevant subject matter expertise and corporate governance. Between the three positions, we are looking for the following key characteristics:
Direct experience in the renewable energy sector, preferably in Africa, either in an operational role or as an investor / lender role in the sector
Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably East Africa
Strong credit management expertise and experience
Relevant qualifications and experience in Finance and Accounting to Chair the company's Audit Committee (sub-committee of the Supervisory Board)
Experience with strategic sale, corporate financing structures / SPVs
Experience with early stage companies and leading change management / transition programmes
Strong commercial mindset, with experience in building profitable businesses
Ugandan or regional candidates with the relevant business networks are strongly preferred especially if based in the region or willing to spend time in country to be closer to the management
Focus on safety, ethics and compliance
Prior experience as a Board Director; ideally with knowledge of corporate governance framework and demonstrated ability to apply corporate governance principles in Board roles (For the Chair role, >10 years C suite / Board Chair experience preferred)
Experience of working with multi-cultural teams
Strong inter-personal skills, ability to constructively challenge and support the management team
We are committed to create a diverse and inclusive Board and would welcome applications from candidates who bring gender and cultural diversity to the Board.
You are committed to building commercially sustainable businesses to address the energy challenge in Africa. You can think strategically and look at the bigger picture, but at the same time bring a sense of urgency to get things done. You encourage open and constructive debate but can prioritise decisions and actions. You will hold people accountable to deliver on their commitments. People love to work with you because you are candid, positive and respectful. You are resilient, can adapt to changes and used to working in challenging business environments.
What to expect
The Supervisory Board meets in person usually in Kampala (or Nairobi) every quarter, typically over 1.5 days. In additional to the formal Board meeting (typically a full day) this may include strategy sessions, subject matter sessions, Board committee meetings, wider staff engagements and field visit.
In addition, there is a monthly call (60-90 minutes) to review business performance and progress against business plan targets.
As part of the onboarding process, you will be expected to spend 2-3 days in Uganda in the headquarters and in the field to get acquainted with the market, the company and the team.
You may also be expected to Chair or participate in relevant committees or working groups.
There may be periods of heightened activity when you may have to join additional calls or meetings (eg around fund raising activities)
The appointment is for a period of two years, with the option to extend.
The company compensated the costs of travel and accommodation and offers and appropriate remuneration for your time.
Production Manager in Burkina Faso , Burkina Faso
We are recruiting a Production Manager in Burkina Faso for a client active in the food processing sector.
The production manager assures the realization of the food processing plant KPI’s on sourced volumes and processing results through the development of good inter-personal relations, fact-based decision making and continuous improvement.
Ensure the achievement of quantity and quality targets of the food processing plant
Food safety, traceability and certifications
• Assume the role of food safety team leader and drive continuous improvement
• Maintain and improve production standards in compliance with Organic, Fair-Trade and Kosher certifications, audited annually
• Ensure 100% traceability of processed volumes
• Prime person responsible for continuous improvement of safety at work
• Ensure 98% execution of preventive maintenance schedule; collaborate with the maintenance service on improvement to the schedule and elaboration of a “plan B” per equipment type
• Be the last recourse for technical staff on equipment troubleshooting
• Make sure the full complement of processing staff is skilled, trained and motivated
Documentation and meetings
• Continuous improvement of the food safety and quality manual
• Continuous improvement of standard work and standard operating procedures
• Maintenance of factory layout drawings
• Lead and assure documentation of daily, weekly and monthly production meetings
Food safety requirements
• BRC trained. External
• HACCP trained. External
• FSMA trained. External
• Excellent knowledge of the company's Quality Manual. Capability to explain it to staff and to develop it further
The production manager works under supervision of the plant manager and in close collaboration with his counterparts from finance, value-chain, maintenance and engineering.
The production manager takes responsibility for receiving clients and auditors at the factory and works together with technical assistance and financial partners to realize the plant goals. The production manager communicates with clients and logistics companies on the timely dispatching of containers of finished product and the handling of customer feedback.
Integrity & transparency, efficiency, organisation & planning, analytical & problem-solving skills, attention to detail, persistence, ability to develop people, creative/Innovative, high standards, enthusiasm
Training and experience
• Master’s in engineering or business/economics
• 10 years’ experience in an industrial/military/technical environment, agri-processing preferred
• Familiarity with food safety systems like HACCP and BRC are considered a plus but can be learned on the job
• Familiarity with lean manufacturing and lean tools
• Experience with technical installations in agribusiness: boiler and steam systems, compressed air systems, mechanical engineering
• Familiar with statistical analysis techniques
• Basic financial literacy; capability to interpret balance sheets and income statements
• Excellent verbal and written skills in both English and French
We expect the successful candidate for this position to be capable of growing into the position of plant manager within a period of 12 months, taking full responsibility for all activities of the business. This means in addition to the above, directing the value chain team that is responsible for the development and maintaining of relations with over 4000 farmers to make sure that sourcing objectives are met. It also means giving direction to the finance and administrative team and making final hiring and firing decisions.
Fysical requirements : none
Work environment : plant workfloor & office
Are you interested in becoming a Production Manager in Burkina Faso? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
CEO in Uganda , Uganda
The CEO designs a plan and leads the execution of the plan to lead the company to sustainable profitability. The CEO is successful when he/she has built an efficient team of leaders, that can work together to successfully design and execute a winning strategy for the company.
Reporting to the Supervisory Board, the CEO builds a sustainable foundation for profitable growth. Once proven in its home market, the organizational capacity has been built to successfully expand into new markets.
Key Profile priorities
• Proven Leadership experience ideally at C-level
• Turnaround / restructuring experience incl. change Management
• Strong commercial experience and track record
• Stakeholder Management (shareholders, lenders, public/government, etc)
• Experience of doing business in Uganda with local networks, preferably Ugandan national
• Experience in start-up environment an advantage
CEO JOB SPECIFICATIONS
1. The Role
a. Reporting to the Supervisory Board, the CEO is Responsible for the overall leadership of the Organization to lead the company to profitability and ensure a viable sustainable profitable business
a. Implementation of the strategic plan and business model to ensure the viability of the company and is subsidiaries
b. Leadership of the operating and functional units to ensure achievement of the plan
c. Ensuring the company remains competitive in the market place through continuous optimization and innovation
d. Continuous improvement of operational process and cost efficiencies
e. Annual plan formulation and setting and alignment with stakeholders.
f. The key point of contact with Shareholders, lenders, Grant Funders and Donors
g. Regular (monthly) Reporting to the Supervisory Board on company performance
3. Experience and Qualifications required
a. Strong/empathetic leader able to inspire an organisation to deliver the plan
b. Proven experience in leading a larger organisation, preferably at C-Level
c. Proven experience in having restructured or re modelled a business
d. Track record in driving cultural and leadership change
e. Strong Commercial experience with a delivery track record of growth
f. Proven experience in managing an organization in developing markets and driving growth in markets with low income customer base
g. Proven experience in having optimized costs and operating efficiencies
h. Proven experience in having driven and led a low-cost sourcing and procurement policy
i. Solid Understanding of financial instruments, Micro financing and debt equity management
j. Demonstrates tight cash and working capital leadership
k. Strong Stakeholder Management Skills, incl. Shareholders, lenders, Government institutions, donors
l. Strong preference would be for someone with experience in start-up environment
m. Preference would be for someone who has led an electric or component marketing organization
n. Masters or degree in Business/commercial/Financial management
Are you interested in becoming a CEO in Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Senior Recruiter & Head-Hunter for JobnetAfrica , South Africa
Do you have an in-depth knowledge of the African recruitment space and a passion for recruitment head-hunting and/or executive search? Have you placed candidates across the continent? Do you love pampering your clients and making sure they hire the best professionals in the field? Do you go the extra mile? Are the answers to these questions YES? Then become part of our enthusiastic team of Africa recruitment specialists!
JobnetAfrica is looking for a Recruiter / head-hunter / executive search specialist with full cycle experience, to join our pan-African JobnetAfrica team. We recruit, headhunt and offer HR Consultancy services for international companies across a wide range of sectors throughout Africa. Our team members are either based in Africa, or have extensive Africa living and working experience. This makes us the partner of choice for companies looking for talent for their companies in Africa.
As our new team member, you are responsible for:
• Taking on new assignments, obtained by our sales crew
• Conducting a thorough briefing with the client on the organisation and role(s)
• Advising the client on the options and introduce inventive ways to look at the process
• Managing online outings and timelines together with our content manager
• Taking on the search and selection process, using existing and upcoming ways of finding talent
• Conduction (mostly online) interviews and writing interview reports
• Proposing of shortlists to the client
• Support the hiring and onboarding process with the client
• Close the assignment
• After care on both the candidates and the clients
• Helping designing and implementing the overall recruiting strategy
• Collaborating with the sales and management team
• Proven work experience as an international Recruiter in Africa (either an in-house recruiter or a staffing agency recruiter), with experience in multiple sectors
• Solid ability to conduct different types of interviews (structured, competency-based, stress etc)
• Hands on experience with various selection processes (phone interviewing, reference check etc)
• Familiarity with Candidate Management Systems (CMS) and Linkedin recruiter
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong decision-making skills
• Has SA nationality or valid work permit
Personality we are looking for:
• Independent worker, that loves to be part of a growing team and company
• Thrives on successes, pushing for placements
• Friendly nature, keeping your calm when things move slow
• Has to be flexible, not everything always goes the way we want it to go
• Show initiative, there is lots to be taken on and streamlined
• A fixed basic salary plus incentives at successful placement
• Flexibility, you can work from home and / or our office in Johannesburg
• A very challenging and demanding job with a great lifestyle!!
Assistant Manager Seedling Nursery in South Africa , South Africa
For our client we are looking for a knowledgeable Assistant Manager for their Seedling Nursery, who can join their team. The successful candidate will assist the nursery manager with his daily operations and duties, as well as everything applicable to this position.
• BSc Plant Science/Horticulture Degree; Preferably with knowledge of grafting seedlings.
• Computer literacy essential
• Afrikaans and English speaking – Afrikaans not really a necessity.
• Independent worker
• Ability to manage a team
• Excellent communication skills
• Good managerial skills
• Excellent people skills
• Weekend work will be mandatory
The ideal candidate must enjoy working with plants and have a love for cultivation. He/she must be hardworking, honest, have sober habits and be conscientious and neat.
Are you interested in becoming an Assistant Manager Seedling Nursery in South Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Sales Representative for JobnetAfrica , South Africa
Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for Africa? Are you a great networker? Do you love sales and developing business? Do you love traveling and working independently? Are the answers to these questions YES? Then become part of our enthusiastic team of Africa recruitment specialists!
JobnetAfrica is looking for a Sales Representative to join our pan-African JobnetAfrica team. We recruit, headhunt and offer HR Consultancy services for international companies across a wide range of sectors throughout Africa. Our team members are either based in Africa, or have extensive Africa living and working experience. This makes us the partner of choice for companies looking for talent for their companies in Africa.
As a Sales Representative, you are responsible for gaining new accounts as well as managing existing accounts. To create an active sales pipeline, you analyze the market and determine new opportunities. You actively hunt for new clients and build positive and lasting relationships with them by developing an in-depth understanding of their industry and recruitment needs.
The new colleague we are looking for:
• Has a sparkling personality, is a master networker and is passionate about cold calling and sales,
• Does NOT need previous experience in recruitment, selling of services is a pre
• Loves traveling and exploring new areas (6x per year)
• Has a vast international network in Africa or a part of Africa,
• Is an independent worker and is self-driven,
• Has an network within an international environment,
• French is a pre, but no must
• Has SA nationality or valid work permit
• A strong (recruitment) brand name,
• An extensive pan-African network of clients and candidates (40.000+ international professionals),
• An international team
• Working in Johannesburg at our office and from home
• Full time / part time / flexible working options,
• High pace work environment combined with great lifestyle!
• Excellent financial structure with variable component
JobnetAfrica will give you the opportunity to fully focus on sales / networking and rapidly build a sustainable income for yourself. You can hit the ground running!
Interested? Hit the link 'Apply' below and come up with a great motivation of why you would like to join the JobnetAfrica lifestyle!
Organisational Developer in Burundi , Burundi
AGIAMONDO is the personnel service of the German Catholics for Development Cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS) we offer development workers a meaningful role working with local development agents. The CPS is a personnel programme for peace-building and the prevention of violence in crisis and conflict regions. It sets out to promote a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. Working with church-related and civil-social partner organisations in the Great Lakes region, AGIAMONDO aims to make a contribution towards civil conflict management and the sustainable and equitable development of the region through peace-building measures.
To support the AGIAMONDO CPS regional programme in the Great Lakes region, we are looking for an Organisational developer, social scientist, Bujumbura, Burundi, to start as soon as possible.
Your new role
For decades, everyday life in the African Great Lakes region has been marked by political instability, armed conflicts and resource conflicts. In this environment, our partner organisations are courageously committed to strengthening civil-social engagement and peacefully resolving conflicts.
The CPS regional programme of AGIAMONDO supports numerous local peace and reconciliation initiatives in Burundi, Rwanda and the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo. As an organisational developer we offer you the opportunity to participate in this exciting programme. By supporting local organisations, you will contribute directly to ensuring that the scope of action is used effectively and that conflict transformation processes in Burundi, Rwanda and the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo are strengthened.
Specifically, you will carry out the following tasks:
• You will advise and support the partner organisations in the areas of personnel management, project management and strategy development and help to further strengthen the corresponding structures and processes in the organisations.
• You will train the staff of partner organisations in the acquisition of funds and, together with your colleagues, develop new financing concepts for the peace-building and reconciliation work of the partner organisations.
• You will offer further education courses, develop appropriate training concepts and host further training events.
• Within the regional programme, you will help to strengthen the exchange between the partner organisations and, working with the partner organisations, develop best practices.
• You will be responsible for the proper spending and management of funds locally in accordance with the donor and AGIAMONDO guidelines.
· You have completed a university degree in organisational development, social or educational sciences or a related field.
· You have several years of practical experience in organisational development and project management, ideally in an African context.
· You have experience in adult education and are used to creating further education processes, designing training concepts and developing appropriate teaching materials.
· You are interested in peace-building and reconciliation work and are prepared to familiarise yourself with the basics of this field of work as part of your preparations.
· You are fluent in French, verbally and in writing, and have a good command of English.
· You are an EU or Swiss citizen and identify with the goals and concerns of church development and peace-building work and are a member of a Christian church.
What AGIAMONDO offers
• Individual and thorough preparation
• Two-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
• Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching and supervision, individual advice
We look forward to receiving your detailed application by 19/07/2020.
Are you interested in becoming an Organisational Developer in Burundi? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.
Director of Development in Rwanda , Rwanda
Carnegie Mellon University is seeking a seasoned development professional to coordinate fundraising strategies and initiatives, and cultivate and steward individual, corporate, and foundation philanthropy to CMU-Africa. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, familiar with fundraising in Africa, has a proven record of fundraising success, and has an extensive international network.
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is a top-ranked U.S. university, particularly known for research and graduate education in engineering and computer science. In 2011, CMU signed an agreement with the Government of Rwanda to open a branch of its College of Engineering in Kigali known as Carnegie Mellon University-Africa in Rwanda (CMU-Africa). CMU-Africa currently offers two master’s degrees, educating fourth industrial revolution skills for students from across the African continent the Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT) and the Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (MS ECE).
The Director of Development is responsible for the coordination of all development efforts in support of CMU-Africa, including frontline fundraising, with a primary goal of raising funds for student support scholarships. The overarching goal of this position is to define, develop, and drive the execution and measurement of a forward-thinking integrated plan for fundraising, global engagement, alumni, foundation, and corporate relations, and annual giving across a broad range of constituencies: foundations, corporations, alumni, students, faculty, staff, and “friends.” The Director of Development will be responsible for developing a compelling case for support by involving alumni and student volunteers, faculty, staff and other groups in order to communicate the vision of the program and the rationale for supporting CMU-Africa’s fundraising goals. To be successful in this position, the Director of Development will work closely with university colleagues in Kigali and the Carnegie Mellon University main campus in Pittsburgh to identify and cultivate sources of funding for projects that leverage the unique opportunities for innovation and research in Africa.
The Director of Development will serve as the lead College of Engineering advancement staff member for fundraising pipeline-building activities for CMU-Africa priorities. This includes, but is not limited to, identifying and cultivating annual and consistent individual donors, identifying potential major gift donors (including foundations and corporations) and coordinating with appropriate advancement team members on moves management for those donors, and managing special fundraising projects (such as annual giving opportunities) that have applicable potential benefit to CMU-Africa and/or the overall fundraising program for the College. He/She utilizes data, research, reports, and other resources and tools to help prioritize and optimize prospect qualification,cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities and manages and completes a variety of special projects requiring skills in data analysis, writing/editing, and collaborative problem solving.
The Director of Development should be knowledgeable of College of Engineering fundraising priorities, in line with the vision, processes, and campaign initiatives of Carnegie Mellon University and the College of Engineering. They will work closely with and report to the the Director of CMU-Africa on fundraising strategy, with a dotted line to the College of Engineering Associate Dean for Advancement, to develop and drive the strategy for fundraising for the CMU-Africa location. He/She will be the focal point for managing all philanthropic partnerships for CMU-Africa. It is essential that this work be conducted in very close collaboration with colleagues in the College of Engineering, at CMU-Africa, University Advancement foundation relations, and institutional partnerships, to accomplish fundraising goals.
Master’s degree in Development Studies, Business, Economics, International Relations, Marketing or related fields.
• A minimum of 8 years of experience in fundraising or related fields.
• Demonstrable experience of developing international educational partnerships and fundraising campaigns with proven fundraising results.
• Experience with tools for donor relationship management and digital marketing is strongly desired.
• Broad knowledge of the principles of foundation, individual, and corporate fundraising,
• Ability to understand the needs and interests of major gift prospects and donors in order to develop relationships between them and the university.
• Ability to articulate the case for support in order to solicit, cultivate, and steward gifts.
• Understanding of the most effective ways to segment and analyze prospective donors, identify indicators of gift potential, management of prospect information, and the development of solicitation materials.
• Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, follow through and evaluate individual strategy plans for qualification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospects.
• Knowledge of African philanthropic landscape is strongly desired.
• Familiarity with legal and ethical practices related to donor management, record maintenance, and gift accounting.
• This position requires the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:
o To initiate contact with prospects.
o To develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers.
o To move prospects in an appropriate and timely fashion towards solicitation and closure.
o To make solicitations when appropriate, utilizing leadership as appropriate.
o To maintain stewardship contacts with donors.
o To keep leadership and colleagues informed of progress during all stages of the gift cycle
• Broad knowledge of the university infrastructure with the commitment to coordinate fundraising activities with University Advancement.
• Interpersonal skills requirements include: exceptional commitment and demonstration of collaboration and teamwork, exceptional ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines, poise and professionalism when interacting with all constituents, flexibility, creativity, respect, and understanding for working with confidential information and embargoed information, and a proven ability to operate independently, effectively, with little supervision.
• The strategic role of this position requires strong planning skills and an aptitude for identifying and cultivating potential financial supporters.
• The implementation role of this position requires basic understanding of Carnegie Mellon University’s and CMU-Africa’s design/branding principles as well as strong interactive experience in the arenas of digital communications, social media, and online marketing.
• This position requires an individual with sound judgment with adherence to the highest ethical standards, who can make decisions based on varying, limited input. In effect, this person will manage relationships between CMU-Africa and financial supporters and collaborators, and must be an objective, creative, strategic thinker.
• Strong oral and written communications skills in English. Knowledge of French is a plus.
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment, within the College’s Advancement team, University Advancement, and the College of Engineering’s departments.
• Must be able to perform work under pressure with tight deadlines. The ability to quickly prioritize and resolve competing projects with an optimal outcome will be an everyday occurrence.
The work location is preferably Rwanda, with high mobility within and outside Africa.
Manages and coordinates CMU-Africa’s major and annual giving and pipeline-building efforts, and coordinates, implements, and evaluates strategies in close coordination with the College of Engineering and University Advancement staff. Helps College of Engineering and University Advancement frontline fundraisers and colleagues understand and advocate for CMU’ Africa. Focus’ on strategies for building the pipeline of major gift prospects for CMU-Africa by analyzing and evaluating donor giving and potential giving, and working in close collaboration with the College of Engineering Associate Dean for Advancement to create and implement strategies to move potential donors to donors. Writes annual and major giving solicitations, and develops and implements a plan for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors.
Manages a focused portfolio of 50-75 donor prospects (including foundations and corporations) for the College of Engineering, with a particular focus on CMU-Africa, focusing on identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
Collaborates with partners and constituents across both the main campus in Pittsburgh, and the Rwanda location, to coordinate activities and ensure goal alignement, including the Advancement office of College of Engineering, the office of the Senior Associate Vice President for Development, the office of Assistant Vice President of Foundation Relations, and the CMU Business Engagement Office.
Other duties as assigned.
Are you interested in becoming a Director of Development in Rwanda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.