Head of Sustainability and Specialty Cocoa , Ivory Coast
The Head of Sustainability and Specialty Cocoa Africa plays an axial role in the growth of the company’s cocoa business. Starting in Ivory Coast the manager will develop and execute the company’s Sustainability and Specialty Strategy as per below in Africa. Growing opportunities for the candidate are projects in Latin America as well as managing the Marketing & Sales of the global program as well.
The company aims to create a professional sustainability program that is capable of designing, implementing and monitoring the sustainability and specialty cocoa projects. Most of the sourced cocoa in Africa will be sourced as sustainable and or specialty cocoa.
The company defines sustainable cocoa as cocoa which is traceable and has verifiable social and ecological impact in the cocoa supply chain, mainly for the producers and producing countries. The company defines specialty cocoa as cocoa which is opted for by the company's clients for its consistent taste and/or that it is grown organically.
Reports to Director/Management
General and financial management
• Jointly with the Head of Sourcing and the Director further develop the Strategy.
• Build and manage an organization/team in Africa to implement the Strategy.
• Ensure professional and accurate project and overhead budgeting, financial management as well as financial and qualitative and quantitative reporting according to internal requirements and in compliance with 3rd parties/partners and subsidy/donor and/or client requirements.
• Set up project documents and agreements, including governance structures, project policy, regulations, monitoring and evaluation policies etc. to ensure successful implementation of the Strategy.
• Ensure project management (control) processes, implementation and reporting are in line with the company’s, local authority’s, partner’s and client’s compliance and quality standards.
• Find, assess, select and cooperate with project partners, including farmer groups, suppliers and exporters, and projects in line with the Strategy.
• Benchmark projects both with other projects within the network and with the industry practices and experiences, to assure that the projects and methodologies of partners and the company itself are constantly being assessed and improved and are at least in line with the peer group and general industry standards.
• Establish a detailed database and an efficient Monitoring and Evaluation System.
Relationship management and reporting
• Ensure that the Strategy supports general and client specific certifications and requirements and meet/exceed expectations of third-party stakeholders, mainly clients.
• Represent the company towards cocoa sustainability and specialty organisations, (N)GO’s and initiatives in Africa
• Establish and implement a model for stakeholder relationship management and partnership protocols and processes.
• Establish, develop and maintain a strong network of stakeholders and important (non) government and technical partners, all involved in the sustainable and specialty cocoa supply chain.
• Connect the projects with clients and vice versa, jointly with Trade and Origin Management.
• Report/Communicate program and project information and progress both internally and externally, with the aim to create awareness (both internal and external) and interest by potential clients as well as to ensure that the positioning is perceived as such by the cocoa market and interested parties.
• Arrange, jointly with the Management, the funding of overhead and projects. The funding includes capital provided by financial institutions, (N) GO’s, clients, other 3rd parties and the company itself.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Minimum bachelor’s degree in sustainability, international development, agriculture, natural resources management, business administration or another tropical agriculture-related field or equivalent 5-year business experience.
• First-hand knowledge of the concepts of sustainable agriculture and knowledge of tropical commodity buying.
• Understanding of business and value chains and experience in working with companies as well as farmers.
• Demonstrated experience in project management, including in managing budgets, project management experience within NGOs preferred.
• Prior cocoa, or other soft/agricultural, industry knowledge is an advantage, moreover in Specialty Cocoa.
• Negotiation, influencing and leadership skills with government, industry and institutional stakeholders.
• Program design and implementation in rural settings, especially in Africa.
• Demonstrated leadership and ability to manage remote staff in developing countries.
• Effective interpersonal, presentation and communication skills, with ability to operate efficiently in multi-institutional and cultural relationships, and to communicate with farmers, government ministers, donor representatives and/or company executives.
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, assess priorities and multi-task with strong attention to detail.
• Administrative efficiency, with ability to track project progress and prepare timely reports, and competence in main computer software programs.
• Excellent command of written and spoken English and French. Fluency in other languages would be advantageous.
• Understands cocoa certification programs.
• Passionate and ambitious
• Self-starter driven with a pro-active and can-do attitude
• Accurate in planning and organizing
40 hours per week.
Based in Abidjan with regular upcountry and rest of Africa travels.
Are you interested in becoming a Head of Sustainability and Specialty Cocoa in Côte d'Ivoire? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Business Development Manager (Mandarin speaking) , Central Africa
Our client is a global logistics service provider with offices in Europe and in Africa. They deliver solution driven logistics services.
For their African offices they are looking for a Mandarin speaking candidate to help them develop business specially in the Copper mines in Zambia and DRC.
* Experience and network in logistics and / or mining
* Africa experience, preferably in the Coppermine area in Zambia and Congo
* Minimum of 10 yrs. experience in sales and / or business development
* Extensive traveling
* Attractive package
* Long term perspective, even with options to grow into General or Country Management
* Live and work in Congo, Zambia or South Africa
Do you feel like you are this candidate? Please apply through the link 'Apply Now' and one of our team members will get back to you.
CEO in Uganda , Uganda
The CEO designs a plan and leads the execution of the plan to lead the company to sustainable profitability. The CEO is successful when he/she has built an efficient team of leaders, that can work together to successfully design and execute a winning strategy for the company.
Reporting to the Supervisory Board, the CEO builds a sustainable foundation for profitable growth. Once proven in its home market, the organizational capacity has been built to successfully expand into new markets.
Key Profile priorities
• Proven Leadership experience ideally at C-level
• Turnaround / restructuring experience incl. change Management
• Strong commercial experience and track record
• Stakeholder Management (shareholders, lenders, public/government, etc)
• Experience of doing business in Uganda with local networks, preferably Ugandan national
• Experience in start-up environment an advantage
CEO JOB SPECIFICATIONS
1. The Role
a. Reporting to the Supervisory Board, the CEO is Responsible for the overall leadership of the Organization to lead the company to profitability and ensure a viable sustainable profitable business
a. Implementation of the strategic plan and business model to ensure the viability of the company and is subsidiaries
b. Leadership of the operating and functional units to ensure achievement of the plan
c. Ensuring the company remains competitive in the market place through continuous optimization and innovation
d. Continuous improvement of operational process and cost efficiencies
e. Annual plan formulation and setting and alignment with stakeholders.
f. The key point of contact with Shareholders, lenders, Grant Funders and Donors
g. Regular (monthly) Reporting to the Supervisory Board on company performance
3. Experience and Qualifications required
a. Strong/empathetic leader able to inspire an organisation to deliver the plan
b. Proven experience in leading a larger organisation, preferably at C-Level
c. Proven experience in having restructured or re modelled a business
d. Track record in driving cultural and leadership change
e. Strong Commercial experience with a delivery track record of growth
f. Proven experience in managing an organization in developing markets and driving growth in markets with low income customer base
g. Proven experience in having optimized costs and operating efficiencies
h. Proven experience in having driven and led a low-cost sourcing and procurement policy
i. Solid Understanding of financial instruments, Micro financing and debt equity management
j. Demonstrates tight cash and working capital leadership
k. Strong Stakeholder Management Skills, incl. Shareholders, lenders, Government institutions, donors
l. Strong preference would be for someone with experience in start-up environment
m. Preference would be for someone who has led an electric or component marketing organization
n. Masters or degree in Business/commercial/Financial management
Are you interested in becoming a CEO in Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Managing Director in Liberia , Liberia
The Managing Director (MD) is the primary leader in this location.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Demonstrating on a daily basis ‘what good looks like’.
• He/she will be the chief local custodian of the company culture and the company's Way of Working.
• Managing and owning the P&L, the MD is expected to openly embrace challenges with a problemsolving mindset and to unlock the full potential of the organization by relentlessly developing its people.
• The MD is expected to be a LEAN leader that continuously strives to make the company the best in class operator through standardization and sharing of best practice globally in an inclusive, transparent manner.
• Furthermore, the MD is the chief stakeholder manager of the entity, ensuring productive and positive relations with all relevant stakeholders such as customers, governmental agents, regulatory authorities and labor unions, with a visible presence on the ground with both employees and customers and a high degree of intimacy.
• Finally, the MD is the primary enabler of global company standards within a local context and acts as the entity’s chief safety owner, leader and ambassador.
Behaviors and attributes:
• Health, safety, security & environment – Understands and actively embeds HSE as a value, by taking collective and individual responsibility for driving HSSE improvement. Has integrated HSSE into business making processes and programs and understands their impact and influence on risk management. Demonstrates accountability by engaging and supporting the workforce to learn from incidents and remains fully and emotionally involved and engaged in HSE every day.
• Drives vision & purpose – Demonstrates a deep-seated and consistent perseverance to deliver on the overarching vision and goals of our company. Shows strong belief in and sense of ownership of that vision. Thinks and acts at an enterprise level and infuses day-to-day leadership and communication with same. Actively drives engagement across all layers of the organization by instilling a fundamental sense of purpose, starting with the question of ‘why’ we do what we do as a business.
• Drives business performance – Relentlessly and continuously ensures that the business strives for excellence, by ensuring that customers receive excellent service and all employees embrace excellence in all of their activities and deliverables. Shows ongoing drive for efficiencies and improvements in all parts of the business, by consistently linking ‘Way of Working’ to solve/deliver business priorities and objectives, as well as leveraging all elements and tools of the ‘Way of Working’ to drive a business system that is indistinguishable from ‘normal’ functional activities. Always acts responsibly and with full accountability towards shareholders in terms performance and return on invested capital.
• Customer orientation – Exhibits a ‘customer first’ attitude in all decisions and considerations, with the ultimate aim of whatever we do must be good for our customers. Strives to deeply understand expectations and requirements of both internal and external customers, and weaves this into daily operations and initiatives.
• Critical thinking – Displays a sense of ongoing curiosity about the world, both inside and outside the company, with the expectation to ‘learn and share something new’ every day. Questions established patters of operation and shows a continuous ‘drive for improvement’ and goes to Gemba by default. Evaluates multiple approaches to a problem by applying structured problemsolving skills and drives a consistent problem-solving culture through Kaizen methodology.
• Collaboration – Drives a collaborative approach across all levels and functions of the organization and builds effective teams. Actively builds bridges and counters silo thinking and demonstrates how to make a matrix organization work well. Advocates a culture of reaching out across teams and departments to ask for best practice to find solutions.
• Instills trust – Demonstrates ongoing integrity in words and actions, as well as deep selfawareness. Stays true to fundamental values and philosophy of our company. In spite of strategic adjustments, never compromises strategic and corporate principles, values and ethics.
• Situational adaptability – Demonstrates a mindset of flexibility and agility, while not losing sight of the overall goal and underlying purpose. Has the ability to anticipate and overcome setbacks and unexpected new developments, and to persevere with regards to longer term objectives.
• People orientation – Actively develops talent and values differences in people. Displays a ‘coaching mindset’ in all conversations with subordinates. Focuses on asking the right questions to trigger deeper thinking and learning. Fosters a culture of proposing solutions to problems out of own initiative and reflection, and continuously gives and solicits timely constructive feedback in a structured manner. Holds leaders in his organization accountable to the same leadership philosophy.
• Influencing – Shows ability to find common ground and purpose with different parties and actors and distilling meaning for every participant. Actively drives necessary change and secures buy-in
from all relevant stakeholders, with and without immediate authority. Exhibits an attitude of humility and curiosity toward other people’s opinions, beliefs and experiences. Consults widely and does not pretend to have all the answers. Practices active listening skills and expects the same from leaders in his/her organization.
• Inspiring – Displays an ability to make sense of the world through storytelling and demonstrates ‘wholehearted leadership’ that includes publicly sharing personal failures and tribulations, and how those have been overcome. Ensures that all layers of the organization are continuously reminded about the overarching purpose and links all initiatives and engagements back to the same purpose. Exhibits the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, and to effectively tailor the message depending on the audience. Practices active two-way communication in all forums and situations.
• Cultivates Innovation – Shows an attitude of openness and curiosity to new technology and its benefits. Displays ‘early adopter’ attributes and proactively stays up-to-date on technology developments. Leverages the opportunities in automation and digitization to continuously improve processes and efficiencies.
• External focus – Demonstrates a ‘from the outside in’ mentality and outlook on business. Proactively keeps up-to date on current political, social and economic events and developments and reflects upon implications for the business. Preempts the impact of external developments by timely strategic/tactical adjustments.
• Performance management – Has a thorough grounding in operational performance management and corporate governance, by virtue of having had full leadership responsibility for an organizational unit.
• Commercial – Ideally has had exposure to a functional commercial role (CCO, Head of Sales etc.) or played a leading role in a strategic commercial project. Has held/led customer-facing positions and/or projects in the past.
• Working in a matrix – Worked in a matrix organization, having both ‘solid’ and ‘dotted’ reporting lines. Has successfully managed projects and strategic initiatives across different functions, brands, business units and/or geographies.
• Stakeholder management – Experience in managing a diverse and potentially adverse set of stakeholders, such as port authorities, regulatory authorities, governmental agents, unions, international organizations etc.
• Relevant industry experience – Prior exposure and/or in port management/operations, shipping, transportation, freight forwarding and/or logistics.
• Non-industry experience – Has some work experience from and/or exposure to outside the industry, such as FMCG, oil & gas, regulatory authorities etc.
• Working across cultures – Has had significant work experience outside home country and/or immediate cultural context.
• Leadership experience – Has significant successful leadership experience, including both ‘leading individual contributors’ and ‘leading other leaders’. Project management experience is an added asset.
• People development experience – Has successfully developed own successor in one of previous roles.
• Strategy development and execution – Has taken lead in successful development and execution of a long-term strategic initiative.
• Working in complex ownership structures – Leadership experience in an entity with complex ownership structured such as joint ventures, public-private partnerships etc., and has successfully navigated the stakeholder landscape.
Functional skills and requirements:
• Lean – Should have a grounding in tools of Lean academy level 1 (minimum) or 3.3 (ideal). Has the ability to leverage basic problem-solving tools and facilitate discussions to generate improvements and solution (D.I.V.E.). Has thorough grounding in and end-to-end understanding of Operating Systems.
• Operations management – Knowledge of and experience in managing of port- and container related processes and has led significant improvement initiatives in same.
• Negotiation – Should possess solid negotiation skills, and a track record of successfully concluding negotiations and resolving conflicts with high stakes. Displays proactive conflict resolution skills.
• Compliance – Awareness of ongoing business and operational risks. Has played an instrumental role in identifying and addressing past compliance issues, and has actively driven risk management strategies and processes, as well as non-compliance investigations.
• Financial understanding – Has a thorough grounding in fundamentals of business finance (financial data, financial statements, cash management, banking, planning, budgets, profitability, solvency, liquidity etc.).
• Strategic planning – Has led strategy development and execution initiatives in the past.
• Commercial planning – Prior exposure to launching a new product into the marketplace and/or has played leading role in developing plans to ensure operations are in place to handle distribution and feedback from customers.
• Media – Previous successful interaction with various forms of media (TV, print, social media etc.) and has built a solid skill set in terms of adequately and concisely communicating with media representatives, without compromising business interests.
• Change leadership – Is familiar with common change leadership frameworks (Kotter etc.) and has successfully led strategic change initiatives in the past through all critical stages.
• Mentoring and coaching – Has acted as a mentor to junior employees in the past and is an experienced practitioner of established coaching models (especially GROW, High Performing Teams etc.
Are you interested in becoming a Managing Director in Liberia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Head of Sales for East Africa , Kenya
Our client is a fast-growing technology company delivering solutions to agribusinesses in emerging markets.
1. To lead the development and retention of new and existing clients in the agribusiness industry in East Africa.
2. Engage in industry building spaces to raise the commercial profile of the company brand and expand commercial network and partnerships.
3. Grow the existing distribution partnerships to increase the scope and reach of the company's commercial activity in East Africa.
Experience and Qualifications
1. Strongly motivated and knowledgable individual that is passionate about agriculture.
2. Degree in business, marketing or related topic. Advanced degree an advantage.
3. 5+ years experience in agribusiness or cold chain logistics in East Africa, particularly in Kenya, and/or
4. 5+ years experience in sales and marketing and B2B sales of technology or services in the East Africa region, particularly Kenya.
5. Strong presentation and communication ability and the ability to communicate with C-Suite level clientele.
6. Fluency in English and a working knowledge of Swahili is an advantage.
7. Experience in commercial work in multiple countries in East Africa.
- Full time role based in Nairobi
- Contract will be base pay and commission
- Full drivers license and having a vehicle is an advantage
- Travel outside of Nairobi and around the region at least 25% of time
- This vacancy is open to Kenyan nationals and internationals that have a valid work permit or permanent residency in Kenya
Are you interested in becoming a Head of Sales for East Africa based in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Managing Director Ghana , Ghana
Base: Accra, with frequent travel throughout Africa
Earliest start date: September 2020
For one of our European clients that is using innovative systems and software, to improve the lives of people, we are recruiting a Managing Director for their Head Office in Accra. The role is a replacement for the current MD who will leave the company by the end of this year, which is why the earliest start date for this role is September this year.
Purpose of the role
• Manage day-to-day operations of the company and its overall performance;
• Strive for an excellent customer satisfaction and maintain effective relationships with clients in the public sector in Ghana and other African countries
• Coordinate all existing and new projects with clients in the whole of Africa and the Service Level Agreements and service contracts
• Creating a positive and motivating atmosphere in the company and providing better growth opportunities for employees and making sure they are providing positive results for the company
The ideal candidate
• Excellent team player and resourceful manager with a proven ability to develop and strengthen teams in order to grow and built a company and create motivation amongst employees
• Good interpersonal skills and trustworthy, someone transparent and reliable with a high respect of time
• Good communicator, both verbally and written and analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent organisational and leadership skills
• Customer focussed and ability to manage projects with efficiency and with a good customer satisfaction
• Hands-on and good decision maker
• Patience when needed and ready to take challenges and deal with challenging situations
• Should believe in teamwork and effectively interact with the clients and the employees
• Ghana or Africa experience
• The ideal candidate is having a technical management experience within a service delivery environment, preferably with medical and/or clinical equipment, X-ray, Systems and Software etc.
• Minimum of BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field
• He or she should have required past working experience of 5+ years in the field of successfully managing the responsibilities and different departments of a company in Africa
Are you interested in becoming a Managing Director Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Chief Operating Officer in Kenya , Kenya
Job location: Nairobi preferred. Johannesburg possible.
Chief Operations Officer Job Description
Our client is a fast-growing technology company delivering solutions to agribusinesses in emerging markets.
The COO role requires a dynamic and experienced professional to bring their expertise to the the company's C-Suite. As Chief Operating Officer you will oversee the short-term performance and execution of the commercial strategy of the company, as well as supporting the continuous development of key business units ranging from design to procurement, project management and sales and marketing.
At high level, you will oversee supply chain management, project development and execution, and take full account for budget and commercial performance. You will provide leadership to the operational team, developing and executing on operational controls and management systems, ensure effective internal communications among the global team and network of stakeholders, and work with the C-Suite and Board to develop strategy and ensure operational cost-effectiveness.
This role will offer a competitive remuneration package, management autonomy and opportunities to build and develop a dynamic and growing business in emerging markets.
Key Responsibilities of the Chief Operations Officer:
• Developing, implementing and overseeing the operational budget
• Developing organisational capabilities and improvement of systems and resources for project development and delivery
• Developing, together with staff and C level peers, sales, sourcing and delivery strategies
• Developing operational excellence in the design, management and execution of commercial cold chain projects, including sourcing, incoming and outgoing logistics, sourcing, manufacturing, certification and compliance.
• Developing, together with staff and C level peers, new business lines and service models from concept and testing to productization and scale.
• Developing and ensuring the delivery of after-sales services.
• Ensuring continuous operational performance improvement by managing changes to strategy, structure and resources
• Responsible for supplier selection, acquisition, contracting, and management both for procurement and after sales
• Manages sales, design, procurement, logistics, project management and after sales staff
• Development and oversight of ERP systems, performance monitoring and reporting standards
• Ensuring operational adherence to applicable industry practice and
• Responsible for health and safety within the Company and suppliers’ compliance
• Responsible for product and projects regulatory compliance to standards, norms and practices in the industry
Who You Are
• A strong leader who thrives in a collaborative commercial environment.
• You are analytical and thorough in your approach to problems and opportunities, and instinctively bring structure to complex situations.
• Whatever the task, you constantly strive for excellence.
• You have a proven track record of driving growth and scale in commercial operations in emerging markets.
• You have a degree in business, finance or technology with 10+ years of experience in a senior operations management role, all of which has been gained in the agriculture, cold chain logistics or technology industry.
• You have at least 5 years of experience based in a relevant emerging market, ideally in Africa.
• You have a strong knowledge and understanding of the agri-food industry.
• You are skilled in organisational development, IT systems, personnel management, budget and resource management and strategic planning.
• You have strong business and commercial acumen with track record in dealing with B2B customers and supply chain partners.
• You have strong inter-personal communication skills, public speaking experience and an ability to lead and influence at an executive level.
• Desirable: A Master’s degree in supply chain, finance, business or engineering
• An ability and willingness to travel or relocate as required for the successful execution of the job will be important.
NOTE: Only national and resident candidates will be considered.
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Operating Officer in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
CEO in Ghana , Ghana
The CEO is a first member of the team for the port project, and serves as a strategic partner and advisor to the client’s management team and Director – Global Investments. As the CEO the candidate will set-up and provide leadership and direction to the (project) team responsible for delivering the services under the Concession Agreement, and manage the day-to-day affairs of the company including but not limited to construction, financial, operational, administrative, community relations, and customer creation and service. The CEO will be the primary contact point between all port-related government bodies.
The right candidate is an engaging and focused leader who leverages best practice management skills to maximize team performance. As an individual the CEO is highly adaptive and excels in a dynamic environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directing functions & performance
• Sets up & Leads the local team in management of day-to-day affairs of the company.
• Ensures that all managers are up to date with the concession related terms.
• Oversees annual budget requirements, approving budget guidelines, with end accountability for the achievement of both budget and financial goals of the organization in accordance with the business plan and updated financial model.
2. Contract Management
• Ensures that all company activities are carried out in commercial, technical, operational compliance with the concession agreement, projects agreements, financing agreements, service agreements and agreed business plan.
• Interfaces with all major contractors and vendors to achieve the agreed performance output as contracted.
• Ensures all contractual obligations of the company are fully met.
• Secures appropriate long-term service contracts.
• Seeks opportunities to enhance the popularity of the port and increase the project’s revenue potential.
3. Communication & Liaison
• Builds and actively manages relationships with all stakeholders.
• Represents the organization with the shareholders, the financial community and the public including the media.
4. Developing the business strategy
• Provides the vision, leadership and direction for the company. Establishes short and long-term goals, objectives, plans and policies, subject to approval by the client’s management.
• Develops the commercial strategy for approval by the client’s management.
• Develops and manages the business plan and annual operating plan.
5. Recruitment and Development
• Recruits / manages the local Senior Management team, and provides mentoring/guidance to senior managers.
• Implements a relevant performance management system.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• At least fifteen (15+) plus years of working as an MD or CEO with experience in successfully managing concessions agreements and Oil & Gas/ off-shore terminal construction projects, in Ghana or West Africa.
• Extensive managerial and leadership knowledge, applying best practices to all sections of the business.
• Successful Track record of stakeholder management and dealing with senior authorities, bureaucrats and ministry level individuals.
• Excellent contacts with public authorities in Ghana.
• Must be able to demonstrate strong leadership and exceptional skills in building interpersonal relationships, including a high degree of tact, diplomacy and ability to influence.
• In-depth understanding of financial concepts, financial models and hands-on with the financial implications of the project implementation processes.
• Excellent business acumen, including project management skills.
• Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• A collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
• Advanced verbal and written communications skills in English in addition to effective interpersonal skills.
All applicants are required to submit to a complete background check and medical examination as a condition of employment. Only candidates that have successfully passed both checks will be eligible for employment.
If you’re interested in the position of CEO apply through this link.