Our client is an NGO that runs a large scale sustainability programme involving farmers, the private sector, civil society in building a mainstream commodity.
The overall objective of this role is to start up the East and Southern Africa Regional Office in line with the existing strategy and to support system change in farming in the region – making the cash crops better for the people who produce it, the environment it grows in and the sector’s future. The East and Southern Africa Regional Office will work closely with the headquarters office Implementation Team in the coordination and delivery of Country Plans that support the company's Strategy.
At the end of the project, the consultant will have delivered:
1. The establishment of a functioning, regional presence within budget
2. Improved capacity of implementing and strategic partners in the region
3. An assessment of the viability and reliability of existing and potential strategic partners
4. Processes and team fit for purpose to support ongoing work with global team
5. Strengthened the company’s presence in the region with cohesive, implementable workplans and workstreams
6. Advocacy for national embedding in at least two key countries yielding national-level in-kind and or budgetary support to local farmers accessing the Company.
Overall tasks and functions
This is a global project based in the designated region. The consultant will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Director of Implementation, and in collaboration with the global programme and country teams.
The consultant shall perform the following tasks:
• Based on the company's regional implementation strategy, work closely with implementation and strategic partners to ensure they are equipped to deliver high quality farmer capacity building programmes.
• Support and collaborate with the company's Standard and Assurance team on the execution of the Assurance Programme including:
• Training partners on the Assurance Programme and related data collection and following up on its submission according to Assurance Programme deadlines
• Planning and conducting field assessment visits throughout the season and following-up on improvement activities. Accountable for timely communication between implementation partner and Chain of Custody throughout the farming season
• Lead on the development and implementation of Country Plans for the region (Mozambique, South Africa, Madagascar, and eventual new countries) in collaboration with the Assurance Program Managers and Secretariat to enable delivery of the global strategy and goals
• Overseeing existing partnership agreements with implementation partners including monitoring of assigned budget and support on funding opportunities.
• Assist Implementation partners and regional stakeholders on external communications about the company
• Collaborate with the Demand and Fundraising team in creating marketing and funding opportunities for the company (e.g. local value addition projects within the region). Support regional fundraising activities both for Secretariat and regional office: provide recommendations of funders, support proposals developments
• Identify risks and opportunities related to the in-country programmes and ensure appropriate escalation to the Secretariat
• Participate in, and contribute to, the ongoing development of the Africa Strategy, and implementation, as part of the company's Africa Working Group.
The following methodology is proposed to ensure the success of the assignment:
• The consultant will have a joint briefing/inception meeting with Director of Implementation, and relevant company staff. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss and clarify expectations on the expected outcome and deliverables of the assignment.
• The consultant will prepare a work plan at the beginning of the assignment, with clear timelines and milestones.
• Literature review, field visits, and conversations with staff, Implementing Partners, and relevant members and stakeholders.
• The consultants will regularly, ideally bi-weekly, brief the project supervisor on the development of the project, including progress and challenges.
• At the end of the assignment, there will be a debriefing meeting with the project supervisor to discuss the outcome of the assignment and the way forward.
This position is based in a regional hub and the consultant will be expected to travel to country programs and company headquarters as needed.
The consultant will build regional operations from an existing small team of the existing regional coordinator for Southern Africa and Programme Officer and working closely with the strategic partners for the region.
Advanced University Degree (minimum Master’s Degree in sustainability, agriculture, international development or another related field).
• 10+ years of relevant experience in East and Southern Africa
• Experience in managing and developing teams
• Demonstrated experience in planning, design, preparation, and delivery of capacity building programmes
• Knowledge and/or experience with smallholder agriculture; knowledge of cash crop production or global commodity supply chains.
• Experience with voluntary sustainability standards a plus.
Skills and Attributes:
• Results oriented
• Effective communicator
• Excellent proven written and spoken English
• Swahili/Portuguese/other regionally relevant language skills desirable
• Strong oral and written communication English skills
• Must be able to travel at least one week per month equivalent. The length and locations will be determined based on available budget, identified priority areas, and capacity to support the visit by country teams.
Duration and remuneration
The duration of the assignment will be for 6-8 months
Are you interested in becoming a Regional Programme Start-up Consultant? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is a global organization committed to improving the lives of children and youth affected by conflict, disease and poverty.
The Ghana Country Office is currently searching for a qualified and self-driven candidate to lead a team of professionals in Ghana as Country Director and be part of the Global Leadership Team at the organisation.
The Country Director reports directly to the Vice President Africa Programs, providing high level oversight, strategic guidance and technical support to the Country Office. The ultimate goal of the position is to manage and grow the organization’s programming, to increase the quality, efficiency and long term impact of the program; and to promote and advocate for sustained high level engagement of government and civil society.
Job Responsibility #1: Communication and Representation (25% of Time):
• Represents organisation in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contributes towards consolidating and raising the profile of the organisation.
• Develops and strengthens relationships with local organisations and networks and establishes national strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society.
• Represents the organization in local media, promotes knowledge of programs, mandates and values amongst all stakeholders, potential partners and general public.
• Articulates concepts of Sport for Development (S4D) with confidence and authority.
• Facilitates donor visits, donor meetings, round table discussions and evaluations as necessary.
• Serves as the main local contact for all external stakeholders; develops and maintains links with relevant senior country representatives in donors, UN bodies, intergovernmental bodies, and other international NGOs.
• Promotes organizational identity and capacity to all stakeholders and partners and ensures the organisation remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
• Ensures strong working relationships and collaborations with current and new partner organizations through regular correspondence, engagement, reporting and meetings.
• Supports preparation and hosting of strategic donor and organisations HQ visits and workshops.
• Ensures that the organisation regularly has its local registration as an INGO renewed and updated to changes in local policies.
Job Responsibility #2: Donor Stewardship and Fundraising (20% of Time):
• Assesses potential partners and partnerships; secures and stewards local funding opportunities and builds the relationships on the grounds that are needed to support donor cultivation.
• Keeps abreast of the trends within the donor environment in country and internationally.
• Be aware of the donor conditionality and monitor adherence to the same.
• Leads proposal development for prioritized funding opportunities, facilitates participation by key team members to produce winning submissions.
• Leads the development of proposals for expansion of new programs and the continuation of existing ones through coordinated efforts with organisations Program Office team, HQ Global Program Partnerships and National Offices.
• Represents the organisation to current or potential donors to secure and sustain funding, including government/institutional donors, corporate sector and foundations.
Job Responsibility #3: Program strategy Development and Implementation (15% of Time):
• Develops the strategic vision and direction of the program(s) in line with the strategic direction of the organsiation.
• Develops and manages the portfolio of program activities of the country in line with the organsiations strategic country plans and region and global vision.
• Ensures accountability of the organsiations activities at all levels through efficient and transparent use of program resources.
• Develops concept papers and proposals as necessary for expansion of new and existing programs, taking into consideration local conditions, donor knowledge and existing talent.
• Provides leadership for the dissemination of organisations Values, Vision and Mission at the Country Level.
• Keeps abreast of the social-economic and political changes in the environment and undertakes timely strategic review of the organisations program strategy ensuring continued relevance within the area of focus.
• Maintains close communication with Regional Office in relevant factors and changes in environment.
• Coordinates the production of timely quality programme reports in line with the organisation and donor requirements.
Job Responsibility #4: Program Financial Management, Quality and Reporting (15%):
• Provides oversight to all finance and administrative services in the Program.
• Oversees the country annual budget and monitors and verifies the program budgets in adherence to approved budgets and procedures.
• Ensures adequate mechanisms are in place for monthly & quarterly budget monitoring and reviews and minimizes significant expenditure variances.
• Ensures monthly & quarterly financial monitoring systems provide timely and relevant reports to country staff, including analysis and tracking of grant commitments and obligations.
• Oversees the effective implementation and compliance with the overall Finance & guidance Manual and compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreement.
• Ensures all program staff have an understanding of financial and internal control systems, budget and work in compliance with the organsiations Finance policies, authorization level policies, procedures.
• Oversees the collation and timely submission of key technical, baseline, project evaluation, donor and other monitoring and evaluation related reports to donors, Regional Office and HQ as required. Oversees annual and project-specific audit processes within the Programs.
• Ensures that learning is regularly generated within all projects, documented and shared.
• Ensures all monthly, quarterly finance reports are accurate and submitted to RO/HQ in timely manner.
Job Responsibility #5: Human Resources Management, Capacity Building and Compliance (15% of Time):
• Oversees overall country HR management processes providing advice on the management of all staff to ensure that it’s carried out within the organsiations stated policies, practices and procedures as well as the country employment laws. Ensures that staff hire aims to high quality standards in terms of competencies, experience and character in order to drive the organization to excellence.
• Provides advice on the interpretation of policies, regulations and rules and supports the senior team in explaining rights and responsibilities to the staff.
• Coordinates regular reviews and updates of the country specific HR policies and procedures and ensures compliance with the overall HR manual and the national labour laws.
• Oversees and monitors efficiency and fairness of recruitment processes following the set organisations guidelines in coordination with the Regional and HQ office.
• Ensures all employees receive the appropriate orientation and understand the organisations structure, policies, processes and systems and the work required from them.
• Oversees the mentoring and training of staff to ensure that they have the appropriate skill levels for their positions and are developing to their full capacity.
• Ensures adequate implementation of the Performance Management System including performance work planning, reviews, appraisals and staff development.
• Leads, coaches and develops the senior team, ensures they are equipped with the required expertise at country level such as programmes, policy, advocacy and finance.
• Oversees staff compensation in line with approved budget and organisations compensation policy and approves the monthly payroll.
• Ensures that the country Senior Management Team is effective, mutually supporting and efficiently involved in decision making.
• Manages the exit of employees and ensures that information gathered during exit interviews are used for improvement.
• Responds to legal claims or investigations, seeking legal advice as appropriate.
Job Responsibility #6: Security, safety and welfare (5% of Time):
• Carries out risk, vulnerability and threat assessments as well as physical security assessments of all sites making prioritized recommendations for improvement through the Standard Operational Procedures and contingency plans, and follows through with approved recommendations until they are fully implemented.
• Liaises with local and regional officials, UN, NGO and other agencies regarding security issues in the planning, coordination, promotion of, and support for existing organisations projects.
• Ensures that Child Safeguarding and gender are integrated into all program and organizational risk assessments and budget and quality mitigation strategies are put in place.
• Ensures that staff, coaches, leaders and volunteers are aware of the Child Safeguarding and Gender Polices, receive adequate training, sign the Attestation of Commitment to Child Safeguarding Form and organisations Code of Conduct, and act in compliance with this policy.
Job Responsibility #7: Performs Other Duties (5% of Time):
• Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (must have):
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Development studies or other related discipline.
10 years’ experience in a leadership role within a large or international organization working on strategic planning, quality improvement, project planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, human resources and financial management.
• Proven knowledge of program management tools and procedures.
• Proven knowledge of budgetary control and financial management, including ability to read and understand financial data.
• Proven experience in proposal development and report writing.
• Demonstrated computer skills especially in MS Office packages.
• Understanding of country laws and regulations.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Asset to have):
• Strong understanding of financial analysis
• Sport and play industry experience
• Strategic planning skills
• Leadership, influencing and managerial skills
• Ability to gain trust and secure donor funding
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills to build rapport with staff, partners, government officials, donors and community leaders
• Creativity and problem solving skills
• Strong presentation skills
• Superior organizational skills and ability to multi-task
• Ability to work under pressure meeting deadlines
• Ability to travel in country and internationally.
• Ability to legally work in Ghana, without sponsorship.
Note: The successful candidate will be employed as a local staff member of Ghana. Compensation and benefits will follow the local package. This is not an international position.
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
Employment Start Date: Immediately
Contract Duration: Long term engagement based on performance and availability of funds
Our customer, a European group, is a leader in Agrochemicals in Africa. To support the strong growth of its African subsidiary active in Crop Protection, they are looking for an Area Manager West Africa.
This is a stand alone position that will be reporting to the Africa Director. You will be responsible for the sale of the company's products via distributors (mainly) and B to B in your area.
You participate in the development of the commercial policy and implement it by developing your portfolio through an effective prospecting. You are the interface between your customers and the different departments of the company (technical, marketing ...).
On the lookout for opportunities and strength of proposal, you cultivate a real proximity with your customers.
Ideally, with a higher education, you have a proven experience in the agricultural sector, and you master the techniques of negotiation and development of accounts for export.
This post is a great opportunity for an enterprising person with a strong interpersonal sense. Your rigor and your sense of organization will facilitate your success. Empathy, the ability to convince, creativity, the taste of the challenge and the result are abilities that you have acquired. Your analytical mind and your anticipation skills will be essential assets to succeed in this position.
This position, based in West Africa (location is flexible), requires frequent travel and good command of both French and English.
Our client grows fruit around the globe. For their operations in Costa Rica we are looking for a dynamic Operations Director to head their pineapple operations.
Job type: permanent, full-time, with trial period
Location: Costa Rica
Production: About 480 ha of Pineapple in 2 farms
Roles & Responsibilities:
In this challenging role, the Operations Director will be responsible for the overall operations
Specific areas of responsibility include:
Achieving above standard agricultural practices
Driving the best agricultural practices on the field, from land preparation through planting, inputs usage, crop monitoring and harvesting
Focusing on sustainably increasing yields
Cost optimization, in compliance with the spending thresholds and policies set by the Group
Benchmarking practices with top-industry standards
Developing regenerative agricultural practices and a spirit of innovative thinking in operations with resources at hand
Capability and interest to further develop the current production pattern
Ensuring optimal post-harvest flows
Operating efficient and cost-effective post-harvest flow, with optimal pack-house management and effective quality control
Maintaining an effective and committed team at all levels
Diffusing an attitude of continuous improvement, with an open and communicative climate
Assigning key roles and responsibilities, dealing with underperforming people, and developing talent
Shaping the team to operate under tight financial constraints and deliver objectives set by the Group
The Operations Director will report to the Managing Director.
Skills, Qualifications & Attitude
A team player, confident and happy to work hard to accomplish a purposeful goal. The following skills are the most
Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in a farm management position
Agronomist or Agricultural Engineering Degree
Proven leadership skills with communicative drive
Ability to successfully manage tight cash situations, and handle contingencies
Entrepreneurial and hands-on attitude; boots in the field
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Business knowledge with command of finance
Open mindset with keen interest in innovation
Good knowledge of Spanish and English
Interest in themes such as sustainability, resource efficiency, regenerative or circular business models
Willingness to live in remote location
Ambition to meaningfully grow the business
Are you interested in becoming an Operations Director in Costa Rica?
Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is pursuing poverty by supplying small holder farmers with agricultural inputs and selling their produce in domestic and export markets. The organisation develops innovative technologies for commercial development of crop processing.
The demand across Africa for cassava products is high and therefore we are currently recruiting a Technical Director for overseeing the first mobile processing site in Nampula, Mozambique.
In this role you will be responsible for first-hand hand knowledge of electrical- and mechanical systems within the (mobile) processing-, drying- and refinery units in order to process fresh cassava on-farm or nearby. You will be overseeing the maintenance and electrical- and mechanical installations of the whole site, responsible for training and supervising the team on site and that all operation is running well.
- Background in (both) Electrical- and Mechanical Engineering with some years of experience in maintenance in a high-speed production environment
- Strong knowledge of electrical and mechanical system installations and troubleshooting in a high-speed ánd rotational equipment (water pumps, turbines, drying equipment, gearboxes, compressors, engines and generators) and their design, installation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of PLC and industrial computers used to automate a machine or process
- Ability and/or experience of working in remote areas
- Work closely with technical operating staff and provide training for maintenance and use of mobile factory and machinery guidance
- English and preferably basic knowledge of Portuguese.
Are you interested in becoming a Technical Manager in Mozambique? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client, who is an international business association based in Johannesburg, South Africa, is looking for a Public Relations Manager (PR Manager) to join their team. We are seeking a Public Relations Manager (PR Manager) to nurture a strong industry network, increase awareness and develop an enviable corporate image by developing and executing effective communication and media relations programs.
• Coordinating all public relations activities
• Developing a marketing communications plan including strategy, goals, budget and tactics
• Developing a media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media
• Direct social media team (2 pax) to engage audiences across traditional and new media
• Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business and industry media
• Manage media inquiries and interview requests
• Create content for press releases, by-line articles and keynote presentations
• Monitor, analyse and communicate PR results on a quarterly basis
• Evaluate opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships and advertising on an on-going basis.
• Build relationships with thought leaders to grow industry awareness
• Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends affecting clients and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them
• Proven working experience in public relations required
• Proven track record designing and executing successful public relations campaigns at both a national and international level
• Strong relationships with both national and international business and industry media outlets
• Experience in acting as a company spokesperson; comfortable and skilled in both broadcast and print media interviews
• Exceptional writing and editing skills
• Solid experience with social media including Newsletters, LinkedIn, Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
• Event planning experience
• BA/MA degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications or a related discipline
• Great appearance
• Sees work, pro-active
• Great communicator
• Feeling with international environments
• Interested in international business / politics
• Persistent networker
The right candidate should preferably be a South African national, though international candidates with a valid (work) permit will also be considered.
The interview process will include psychometric tests, reference checks and a test case on location.
A market conform package is available with great benefits including a 13th month, contribution towards pension and insurance, flexible working hours and a leave structure.
Are you interested in becoming a Public Relations Manager (PR Manager) in Johannesburg, South Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Location: Accra based, with frequent travels to North, South, West and Central Ghana
Area: FMCG/ Aquaculture/ Fresh produce
Size: +/-700 employees in total
For our client in the fish mongering industry, we are seeking a highly innovative Strategic Sales Manager. This person will help the company to develop and implement their growth strategy for the next few years.
The Sales Manager will help to meet the customer acquisition and revenue growth targets by keeping the company competitive and innovative. This person will be responsible for maximizing internal and regional sales team potential, crafting sales strategies and plans in line with the overall corporate strategy and justifying these to the management team.
• Being in charge of the five (5) regional sales depots in the country and making sure that they meet company’s base quality standards and are equipped and resourced to meet monthly sales targets.
• Achieve growth and hit sales targets by successfully managing the sales team
• Responsible for product development and diversification and brand awareness
• Development, implementation and execution of the growth strategy in existing- and new markets.
• Own recruiting, objectives setting, coaching and performance monitoring of sales representatives
• Present sales, revenue and expenses reports and realistic forecasts to Finance as well as the management team
• Identify emerging markets and market shifts while being fully aware of new products and competition status
• Working hand-in-hand with the Marketing Manager, Quality Assurance Manager and the Production Manager.
• BS/MS degree in business administration or a related field
• Successful previous experience in a strategic sales role, consistently meeting or exceeding targets
• Experience in the fast moving goods or agri/aquaculture/food sector and strong business sense and industry expertise
• Proven ability to drive the sales process from plan to close (growth strategy)
• Excellent mentoring, coaching and people management skills
• Excellent excel, word and PowerPoint skills
• Highly innovative
• High level analytical thinking and maths
Are you interested in becoming a Senior Sales Manager in Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.