Manager of Operations , Netherlands
Foundation Rural Energy Services (FRES) advances electrification in rural areas in Africa by establishing small-scale, commercially operating utilities. They provide households and small businesses with electricity, preferably generated by solar energy, to meet the demand for proper lighting, radio and TV, charging cell phones, and a broad range of commercial activities. In this way they contribute to the social and economic development and social cohesion of rural areas.
FRES is a non-profit, small multinational, founded in 2004, and consists of companies in Mali, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Uganda and Guinea-Bissau and a head office in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
FRES-Netherlands is, within the boundaries set by the FRES Board, responsible to guide the FRES Companies and:
• Develop, agree objectives and strategy for each FRES Company;
• Develop, agree annual plans and budgets for each FRES Company;
• Set boundary conditions, policies and guidelines;
• Appoint Management Team staff of each FRES Company, appraise their performance;
• Monitor and appraise the performance and strategy of their business;
• Arrange for specific authorizations for investments, divestments, major activities;
• Arrange for mandatory services such as central procurement (unless otherwise agreed);
• Promote adherence to the FRES fee-for-service business model;
• Develop new business to generate new FRES customers;
• Have an internal control framework in place to manage risks and opportunities; and to demonstrate compliance;
• Report to the FRES Board on status, progress.
FRES-Netherlands has a team of 6 staff members to perform the activities who report to the General Director. FRES Netherlands is currently looking to fill one of the two positions of Manager of Operations within the team. FRES Group Companies have a turnover of approx. € 10 million per annum in existing business and new developments (50/50) with a total of 230 direct staff.
A Manager of Operations is responsible for the effective operation of the FRES companies. It is a senior role which involves overseeing the operational activities and business results of FRES companies. An important objective for the Manager of Operations is to achieve operational excellence of FRES companies that meets expectations of its clients, its stakeholders and its shareholders. As a member of the FRES-NL team he/she ensures that the FRES objectives for the FRES companies are realized. As a member of the board of the local FRES Companies he/she assists in ensuring that the FRES companies meet their objectives.
The Manager of Operations works intensively with the other FRES-NL team members, to ensure consistent reporting to the General Director and the Board of FRES.
• Develop FRESco/country strategies in line with FRES strategies;
• Ensure FRESco strategies are aligned with, and that the FRESco’s interest is represented in, the overall FRES Business strategies and plan;
• Govern (control and guide) FRESco’s;
• Monitor performance of FRESco’s against agreed targets and objectives;
• Appraise FRESco business performance, strategies and business control framework;
• Benchmark business processes and performance metrics between the FRES companies;
• He/she is member of the Board of Directors of the FRES company;
• Willingness to travel 5-10 times per year to rural areas in Africa for a short stay or in specific cases a stay for several weeks or months.
All these responsibilities are executed under the supervision of the General Director.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to take the initiative, and to work independently;
• Proven skills and experience with respect to Business Administration with an operations management specialization and experience in the daily running of SME’s in developing countries;
• Strong analytical and presentation skills;
• Strong skills and experience with writing reports;
• Good team player and understanding the information needs of other team members, assisting them to identify and present business/operational issues arising that need to be addressed, improved;
• Ability to work under pressure, to multi-task and to manage time efficiently;
• Have leadership and supervisory skills;
• Have good critical and judgement skills;
• Excellent spoken English and French and excellent written English or French;
• Good interpersonal and intercultural skills;
• Commitment to existing Organization policies.
FRES offers a salary according standards of the NGO sector.
Please send a motivational letter and your resume before November 18th 2016.
Commercial Manager , Malawi
Do you want to put your know-how and skills to use where they are needed? Do you want to work abroad and experience different cultures? Then the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM) is your ideal partner for finding a responsible position in the field of development policy. We place highly qualified staff with employers in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe.
Support the Agricultural Commodity Exchange for Africa in Lilongwe, Malawi, as a
Commercial Manager in the Trade Facilitation Department
We are looking for you:
The Agricultural Commodity Exchange for Africa (ACE) needs your expertise to develop its operational business division. ACE was founded 10 years ago with the aim of enabling smallholder farmers and agri-cultural producers in rural areas to participate in the economic development of the country. The Trade Fa-cilitation Department has 30 employees working on warehouse management, logistics, the processing of trading activities and the management of financing facilities, and reports directly to the ACE manage-ment. In this context, it has already been possible to establish services such as the Warehouse Receipt System, ACE Trade Platform and Market Information System . The aim is to continue to develop ACE revenue streams and grow the trade volume currently at about USD 20 million by commercialising the provision of trade and financial services and to make ACE independent of financial resources from de-velopment cooperation.
Your tasks will involve:
• Responsibility for management of the Trade Facilitation Department, including developing a business model and medium-term strategy for the department
• Implementing strategic planning in the department, in particular in the field of trade facilitation, by bringing a commercial angle to a development-oriented organisation
• Improving cooperation within the organisation and building capacity within the department
• Develop trade facilitation and commodity finance management structures and services.
• University degree in business administration or economics with a focus on trade, finance or a compa-rable subject that enables you to perform the tasks
• Several years of experience in international trade, specifically in relation to commodity exchanges and commodity or agricultural trade/finance
• Several years of management experience with power of attorney or proxy
• Experience in organisational development and in the development of service portfolios
• Fluent business English
What we offer:
• A varied and interesting job with a high level of responsibility in an international environment
• The opportunity to work with other organisations in the field of development cooperation
• A preparatory course ahead of your assignment abroad
• A local employment contract as an integrated expert for an initial period of two years, with an option to extend
• Attractive monthly subsidies and social security benefits in addition to your local salary
O n e p e r s o n c a n m a k e a d i f f e r e n c e
Please submit your application using our online portal at http://www.cimonline.de. Here you will find more information on what we do and what we have to offer. If you have any questions, you can contact:
Expiry date: August 26th 2016
Managing Director , Ghana
The Managing Director is responsible for establishing and executing the organization’s major goals and objectives. An entrepreneurial and “hands on” mentality are key qualities of the successful candidate. (S)he provides leadership, direction and guidance in the organization’s activities, and analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of all organization operations. (S)he is strong in marketing and project management and in inter-cultural communication skills. In addition, (s)he develops and maintains the organizational structure and gives guidance to the staff. One major role is the representation of GNBCC to all its stakeholders: companies in Ghana and the Netherlands (interested in) doing business in one or both of these countries, Governmental organizations in general, the Royal Dutch Embassy in particular, funders supporters, and the general public.
Duties and responsibilities general
• Acts as the spokesperson for GNBCC
• Develops and maintains stake holder relationships
• Promotes GNBCC as a service organization, and is responsible for marketing its services
• Takes part in and supervises execution of assignments
• Directs and oversees short and long term strategic plans
• Attends Board Meetings
• Provides leadership to organization personnel through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication
• Ensures that job descriptions are current
• Conducts performance appraisals as required
• Ensures that all the organization’s goals, plans & actions are covered in a general annual business plan (this includes: budget,
goals, objectives and deliverables for the upcoming year)
Duties & responsibilities administration
• Ensures compliance to minimum standards in accordance with all government legislation, regulations and guidelines pertinent to
the organization’s role as an employer and non-profit agency
• Maintains an effective and cost efficient office environment
• Develops, maintains, and updates job descriptions pertinent to the organization
• Develops and maintains business(services) for GNBCC
• Develops and implements operational plans, policies, and goals that enhance strategic objectives
Duties & responsibilities Finance
• Maintains full awareness of the complete financial, statistical, and accounting records of the organization
• Ensures that operating results established in the annual budget are achieved and the control of operating expenses within
• Ensures the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting
• Ensures the preparation of the annual budget for board approval
Essential skills, competences and requirements
GNBCC’s Managing Director is an effective communicator, across cultures, with a “hands on” mentality, excellent leadership skills, marketing and management experience and the ability to motivate employees. Additionally, (s)he must be results oriented, creative, entrepreneurial and have strong business-development skills and the ability to interact with all stakeholders. The Ideal candidate holds a BA or MA degree in business administration combined with a proven track record in business development or service delivery. Excellent knowledge of English is a must, knowledge of Dutch is a big plus. (S)he commits to a long term (at least three years) involvement to further develop GNBCC.
Production Manager in East Africa , East Africa
Do you already see yourself working at a large, professional farm in East Africa? Where you will work with a great team every day to produce a quality product? And to ensure that this product reaches the entire world? Then you might be the new production manager we are looking for.
What kind of job is it?
The company we are recruiting for is one the largest breeding and cutting horticultural companies in the world. You will start with some training in Europe. This so that you learn what processes the various sites go through and what role the production locations in East Africa play in this. With this knowledge you will leave for East Africa. You will manage the (production) processes and cultivation technology around the cutting products and you identify opportunities for improvement. You will work closely with a few other production managers, the local Management team and the production staff and you will report to the local Operations Manager.
What are we looking for?
You are a true pioneer. You want to be challenged to find creative solutions. Flexibility is an important feature of you. You are intensively involved in the cultivation processes of our cutting material. It is nice if you have a college education (horticulture related) or experience in which you can demonstrate this knowledge. And of course you see it as a challenge to get started on an African farm.
What makes you happy?
An adventurous job where no day is the same. Working in a nice team to deliver a top product together every day gives you energy. Excellent employment conditions and room to develop your talents are self-evident.
Are you interested in becoming a Production Manager in East Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
EMEA Account Manager (Mandarin Speaking) , South Africa
This assignment is done in cooperation with Mercuri Urval, in assignment of Normet Africa.
Normet is a global, fast growing and innovative technology company in the underground construction and mining industry, passionate to innovate and improve processes for increased safety, productivity and profitability. Normet’s solutions are developed based on the welfare of people and the care of the environment. Normet’s HQ is located in Espoo, Finland. They operate globally with 1200 business professionals in 42 locations in 28 countries. In Africa, Normet has legal entities in Zambia and South Africa, with ambitions to expand in the region.
We are looking for candidates to actively monitor Chinese customers and oversee the project pipeline in close collaboration with Normet China:
EMEA Account Manager – Chinese Accounts
You functionally report to the Managing Director of Normet Africa and will work in the middle of the mainland China team, the EMEA local teams, Chinese tunneling and mining contractors, mining houses, local JV’s and factories.
• Accelerate the sales growth of Normet’s mining and tunnelling solutions in EMEA through in depth understanding of the market, building new relationships, expand current relationships and by responding to the needs of our customers.
• Work closely with sales managers to strategize, plan and implement the approach to territory and value development.
• Drive and deliver the strategy within each account.
• Build long term, cross functional relationships within the customer’s organization to enable and ensure implementation of the account strategy.
• Maintain the necessary administrative and reporting elements of Account Management: Account Plans, CRM.
• Represent Normet at trade shows, conferences and local industry associations.
• Travel to customers for about 50% of your time, of which 70% in Sub-Saharan Africa and 30% in Europe and the Middle-East.
• You are a Chinese national living / working in Sub-Saharan Africa, who speaks fluent Mandarin and English.
• At least 2 years of sales experience in Mining Services and a minimum of 5 years experience in or exposure to underground mining industry.
• Experienced in Account and Customer Relationship Management, enjoying technical and commercial discussions with customers.
• You see the big plans and can turn them into effective operational project plans
• Mature and developed in negotiation and presentation, and highly professional in your daily communication with internal and external teams.
• Tactical and strategic thinker with business acumen.
• You are a self-motivated, open-minded, result driven and persistent team player, excellent in building trust and relationships.
• In this role you can visibly shape and be part of regional growth.
• Achieve results while being supported by a professional local and international team.
• A financially stable and international organization with high standards in safety and quality.
• The opportunity to capitalize on a new JV with an ambitious Chinese partner.
• Support from an experienced MD who macro-manages, and who supports, guides and coaches where needed.
• An attractive compensation package and a lot of growth opportunities, within the company and within the region.
Are you interested in becoming an EMEA Account Manager in South Africa or Zambia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Chief Financial Controller in Ethiopia , Ethiopia
Our client, who is a large FMCG company with USD 50 mln. turnover a year with a clear plan to double turnover within 12 months, is looking for two entrepreneurial Financial Controllers. The Company is backed by an international private equity firm and the ideal candidate reports to the CEO/CFO as well as to the investors.
• Oversees, help train and improve current finance team (15-20 pax)
• Helping the company scale up and double turnover
• Implement and maintain ERP system
• Meet monthly/quarterly/yearly reporting deadlines and investor requests
• Create company culture, create awareness of importance of cost management
The person we are looking for:
• Has a strong financial controller background
• Can lead a team, has a strong personality
• Is entrepreneurial and gets his / her hands dirty
• Has experience with consumer facing products
• Preferably has experience with investors
• Can be an Ethiopian or international candidate with preferably work experience in Africa
What is on offer:
• USD 60 – 75k CTC a year
• Performance based bonus
• Share option plan (
• Start date asap, location Addis Abeba
Are you interested in becoming a Financial Controller in Ethiopia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Chef Comptable, Chief Accountant in DRC , Congo (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
For our client active in the mining industry we are looking for a Chief Accountant to be based in Lubumbashi, DRC.
We are looking for a candidate that has:
• Graduated in Accounting
• Knowledge of OHADA accounting standards
• Has worked for one of the Big 4 (PwC, Deloitte, EY, KPMG)
• Good analytical, communication and interaction skills with the managers of the other services and the General Management
• Mastery of the computer tool: MS office (Word, Excel, ...)
The attitude required for this role is:
• Good sense of organization, great rigor and seriousness in the work
• Disciplined and methodical
• Ability to work in a demanding environment
• Ability to cope with high workload and tight deadlines
• Compliance with procedures
• Communication skills (oral and written) in French
• Minimum 5 years of experience working in Europe
Country Sales Manager , Ghana
We are currently seeking for an experienced Country Sales Manager for a local brand in Ghana.
The company produces high quality natural products/cosmetics from the finest raw ingredients. Since their brand is having a high demand and they want to start looking at exporting to other countries, they are looking for a strong sales person.
He or she will be responsible for expanding the brand and its visibility, and will directly deal with wholesalers in the country and will also be responsible for increasing the number of wholesalers. In Ghana there is a huge potential for their organic products and its therefore a great opportunity.