Manager of Operations , Netherlands
Foundation Rural Energy Services (FRES) advances electrification in rural areas in Africa by establishing small-scale, commercially operating utilities. They provide households and small businesses with electricity, preferably generated by solar energy, to meet the demand for proper lighting, radio and TV, charging cell phones, and a broad range of commercial activities. In this way they contribute to the social and economic development and social cohesion of rural areas.
FRES is a non-profit, small multinational, founded in 2004, and consists of companies in Mali, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Uganda and Guinea-Bissau and a head office in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
FRES-Netherlands is, within the boundaries set by the FRES Board, responsible to guide the FRES Companies and:
• Develop, agree objectives and strategy for each FRES Company;
• Develop, agree annual plans and budgets for each FRES Company;
• Set boundary conditions, policies and guidelines;
• Appoint Management Team staff of each FRES Company, appraise their performance;
• Monitor and appraise the performance and strategy of their business;
• Arrange for specific authorizations for investments, divestments, major activities;
• Arrange for mandatory services such as central procurement (unless otherwise agreed);
• Promote adherence to the FRES fee-for-service business model;
• Develop new business to generate new FRES customers;
• Have an internal control framework in place to manage risks and opportunities; and to demonstrate compliance;
• Report to the FRES Board on status, progress.
FRES-Netherlands has a team of 6 staff members to perform the activities who report to the General Director. FRES Netherlands is currently looking to fill one of the two positions of Manager of Operations within the team. FRES Group Companies have a turnover of approx. € 10 million per annum in existing business and new developments (50/50) with a total of 230 direct staff.
A Manager of Operations is responsible for the effective operation of the FRES companies. It is a senior role which involves overseeing the operational activities and business results of FRES companies. An important objective for the Manager of Operations is to achieve operational excellence of FRES companies that meets expectations of its clients, its stakeholders and its shareholders. As a member of the FRES-NL team he/she ensures that the FRES objectives for the FRES companies are realized. As a member of the board of the local FRES Companies he/she assists in ensuring that the FRES companies meet their objectives.
The Manager of Operations works intensively with the other FRES-NL team members, to ensure consistent reporting to the General Director and the Board of FRES.
• Develop FRESco/country strategies in line with FRES strategies;
• Ensure FRESco strategies are aligned with, and that the FRESco’s interest is represented in, the overall FRES Business strategies and plan;
• Govern (control and guide) FRESco’s;
• Monitor performance of FRESco’s against agreed targets and objectives;
• Appraise FRESco business performance, strategies and business control framework;
• Benchmark business processes and performance metrics between the FRES companies;
• He/she is member of the Board of Directors of the FRES company;
• Willingness to travel 5-10 times per year to rural areas in Africa for a short stay or in specific cases a stay for several weeks or months.
All these responsibilities are executed under the supervision of the General Director.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to take the initiative, and to work independently;
• Proven skills and experience with respect to Business Administration with an operations management specialization and experience in the daily running of SME’s in developing countries;
• Strong analytical and presentation skills;
• Strong skills and experience with writing reports;
• Good team player and understanding the information needs of other team members, assisting them to identify and present business/operational issues arising that need to be addressed, improved;
• Ability to work under pressure, to multi-task and to manage time efficiently;
• Have leadership and supervisory skills;
• Have good critical and judgement skills;
• Excellent spoken English and French and excellent written English or French;
• Good interpersonal and intercultural skills;
• Commitment to existing Organization policies.
FRES offers a salary according standards of the NGO sector.
Please send a motivational letter and your resume before November 18th 2016.
Commercial Manager , Malawi
Do you want to put your know-how and skills to use where they are needed? Do you want to work abroad and experience different cultures? Then the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM) is your ideal partner for finding a responsible position in the field of development policy. We place highly qualified staff with employers in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe.
Support the Agricultural Commodity Exchange for Africa in Lilongwe, Malawi, as a
Commercial Manager in the Trade Facilitation Department
We are looking for you:
The Agricultural Commodity Exchange for Africa (ACE) needs your expertise to develop its operational business division. ACE was founded 10 years ago with the aim of enabling smallholder farmers and agri-cultural producers in rural areas to participate in the economic development of the country. The Trade Fa-cilitation Department has 30 employees working on warehouse management, logistics, the processing of trading activities and the management of financing facilities, and reports directly to the ACE manage-ment. In this context, it has already been possible to establish services such as the Warehouse Receipt System, ACE Trade Platform and Market Information System . The aim is to continue to develop ACE revenue streams and grow the trade volume currently at about USD 20 million by commercialising the provision of trade and financial services and to make ACE independent of financial resources from de-velopment cooperation.
Your tasks will involve:
• Responsibility for management of the Trade Facilitation Department, including developing a business model and medium-term strategy for the department
• Implementing strategic planning in the department, in particular in the field of trade facilitation, by bringing a commercial angle to a development-oriented organisation
• Improving cooperation within the organisation and building capacity within the department
• Develop trade facilitation and commodity finance management structures and services.
• University degree in business administration or economics with a focus on trade, finance or a compa-rable subject that enables you to perform the tasks
• Several years of experience in international trade, specifically in relation to commodity exchanges and commodity or agricultural trade/finance
• Several years of management experience with power of attorney or proxy
• Experience in organisational development and in the development of service portfolios
• Fluent business English
What we offer:
• A varied and interesting job with a high level of responsibility in an international environment
• The opportunity to work with other organisations in the field of development cooperation
• A preparatory course ahead of your assignment abroad
• A local employment contract as an integrated expert for an initial period of two years, with an option to extend
• Attractive monthly subsidies and social security benefits in addition to your local salary
O n e p e r s o n c a n m a k e a d i f f e r e n c e
Please submit your application using our online portal at http://www.cimonline.de. Here you will find more information on what we do and what we have to offer. If you have any questions, you can contact:
Expiry date: August 26th 2016
Managing Director , Ghana
The Managing Director is responsible for establishing and executing the organization’s major goals and objectives. An entrepreneurial and “hands on” mentality are key qualities of the successful candidate. (S)he provides leadership, direction and guidance in the organization’s activities, and analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of all organization operations. (S)he is strong in marketing and project management and in inter-cultural communication skills. In addition, (s)he develops and maintains the organizational structure and gives guidance to the staff. One major role is the representation of GNBCC to all its stakeholders: companies in Ghana and the Netherlands (interested in) doing business in one or both of these countries, Governmental organizations in general, the Royal Dutch Embassy in particular, funders supporters, and the general public.
Duties and responsibilities general
• Acts as the spokesperson for GNBCC
• Develops and maintains stake holder relationships
• Promotes GNBCC as a service organization, and is responsible for marketing its services
• Takes part in and supervises execution of assignments
• Directs and oversees short and long term strategic plans
• Attends Board Meetings
• Provides leadership to organization personnel through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication
• Ensures that job descriptions are current
• Conducts performance appraisals as required
• Ensures that all the organization’s goals, plans & actions are covered in a general annual business plan (this includes: budget,
goals, objectives and deliverables for the upcoming year)
Duties & responsibilities administration
• Ensures compliance to minimum standards in accordance with all government legislation, regulations and guidelines pertinent to
the organization’s role as an employer and non-profit agency
• Maintains an effective and cost efficient office environment
• Develops, maintains, and updates job descriptions pertinent to the organization
• Develops and maintains business(services) for GNBCC
• Develops and implements operational plans, policies, and goals that enhance strategic objectives
Duties & responsibilities Finance
• Maintains full awareness of the complete financial, statistical, and accounting records of the organization
• Ensures that operating results established in the annual budget are achieved and the control of operating expenses within
• Ensures the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting
• Ensures the preparation of the annual budget for board approval
Essential skills, competences and requirements
GNBCC’s Managing Director is an effective communicator, across cultures, with a “hands on” mentality, excellent leadership skills, marketing and management experience and the ability to motivate employees. Additionally, (s)he must be results oriented, creative, entrepreneurial and have strong business-development skills and the ability to interact with all stakeholders. The Ideal candidate holds a BA or MA degree in business administration combined with a proven track record in business development or service delivery. Excellent knowledge of English is a must, knowledge of Dutch is a big plus. (S)he commits to a long term (at least three years) involvement to further develop GNBCC.
Financial Controller in Nigeria , Nigeria
Financial controller / head of finance and accounts / internal audit
Overall in charge of the accounts department, internal control, finance. Advising the management and owner on the financial strategy. Ensuring effective and efficient running of the business.
- Cost control; monitoring expenditure
- Internal control, policy creation
- Verification of documents related to inventory, payments, import and export of goods
- Verification of internal documents to ensure compliance and accuracy
- Monthly preparation of the management accounts
- Monthly reconciliation of inventories
o Sale goods
- Finalisation of the accounts, coordinating with statutory auditors
- Handling taxation matters and related agencies
- Handling banks
- Handling insurance
- Preparation of Management Information Reports
o Export stock and status of exports
o Imports status updates
o Financial statements (e.g. cashflow statement)
o Financial projections
- Key user of the accounting package; verification that entered information is correct
- Overseeing accounts payable, receivable, payroll preparation
- Excellent accounting knowledge
- Knowledge on import and export formalities
- Internal audit experience
- Knowledge of ERP Package MS Dynamics
- Masters degree in accountancy, finance or relevant field
- Minimum of 15 years experience
- Expat benefits
o SUV + Driver
o 2 flight tickets (Premium Economy) per annum
o Health insurance (excluding dental)
Are you interested in becoming a Financial Controller in Nigeria? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
General Manager – LEAFS from Kenya , Kenya
Superfood, super healthy.
Moringa is the new superfood, but at LEAFS they take it a step further. They want to make a difference through impact. With their choices and targets they make impact through every Moringa seed sown. From production to distribution; from their fields in Kwale Country to the worldwide moringa market. Every step in the supply chain is managed by LEAFS.
LEAFS is a trustworthy partner for reliable supply of organically certified Moringa, dry powder and tea leaves. They are currently looking for a General Manager to join their team.
The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about combining organic plant growing and processing experience with a passion for people management.
Contributing to the success, means jointly creating employment opportunities supporting over thousands of families so far. LEAFS contributes to regional business and economic growth and helps overcome some of the most severe problems in the developing world like malnutrition, deforestation, impure water, and poverty.
As the General Manager you will be responsible for the efficiency and growth of the production plant. The production started from the first 100 acres of trees planted in beginning of the year, resulted in 2 million trees so far. The first harvest and processing is planned Q4 2021.
Responsibilities & Duties:
• P&L responsible for the daughter company in Kenya.
• Responsible for leading the management team, coach and set the example.
• Focus on professionalizing working processes, SOP’s and increase efficiency and productivity.
• Implement continuous improvement as way of working
• Ensure compliancy with company policies and make sure safety procedures are in place.
• Managing by walking around, checking on processes and progress
• Verify quality of product, and partner with QA to ensure all areas are in compliance with production and safety processes
• Provide management reporting towards directors in The Netherlands
• Minimum bachelor’s degree in agriculture, business or related
• Minimum of 5 yrs. management experience and a proven track record with (organic) crop production and / or processing
• Good people management skills with the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
• Ability to contribute ideas on how to expand and diversify the operation
• Excellent communication skills in both local and international stakeholder management
• Entrepreneurial mindset, passion for growth
• Multi-task oriented and very well organized
• Hands-on mentality, not afraid of decision making
• Africa experience is a must
• Willing to relocate to Diani Beach area
Do you want to contribute to a healthy, strong and sustainable world through LEAFS? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page!
Chief Operating Officer in Burkina Faso , Burkina Faso
Our client is company that builds sustainable food supply chains, by investing in local processing and supporting producers and farmers with their know-how in quality, organic production, certification and logistics. For their processing facility they are seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to oversee the production for A to Z.
As the COO you will be part of the Executive Management team. You will directly report to the CEO and work together with the CFO and the Head of Agronomy & Sourcing. Together you will form the Executive Management of the company who is working in a highly hands-on environment.
In your role as COO you are responsible for the products from the arrival of the raw materials at the factory door to the export of the end-product. You are overseeing the cashew processing, dried mango production and the dried mango quality control. You assure that production and export planning are in line with customer expectations. In addition to that, you are responsible for the maintenance team which makes sure that machines and infrastructure are in efficient condition.
You make sure you achieve the goals and KPIs through thorough analysis, planning, and organization as well as through the development of good inter-personal relations, fact-based decision making and continuous improvement.
• Production & Export planning & production data evaluation
• Realize the processing of raw cashew nuts and mango by managing productivity of staff
• Realize cost per kg targets and drive continuous improvement
• Ensure the achievement of quantity and quality targets of the plant
• Oversee food safety, certification (BRC) and safety at work
• Maintain and improve production standards in compliance with organic certification
• Continuous improvement of standard work and operating procedures, food safety and quality manual
• Make sure the full complement of processing staff is skilled, trained, and motivated
• Maintenance of machines and infrastructure
• Manage import & export logistics
• Manage relations and evaluate efficiency of external service providers
• Manage general resources and consumables
• Efficient stock management
Competencies for this position
• High managerial & organizational skills and the ability to develop people
• High interpersonal skills and strong communication skills
• Integrity & transparency
• Efficiency, planning, analytical & problem-solving skills
• Attention to detail, persistence
• Creative/innovative, “think out of the box”, hands-on, high standards, enthusiasm
• Participative leadership
Education and experience
• Master in Engineering, Food Processing or Business or Economics
• 5-10 years’ experience in an industrial/technical environment, agro-industry and/or agro-processing
• Experience in a purchasing and logistics environment in an agricultural environment
• Ability to work in multi-cultural environment (experience in West Africa is a plus)
• Strong Excel skills and ideally experience with stock management (systems)
• Excellent verbal and written skills in both English and French
Nice to haves
• Familiarity with food safety systems like HACCP and BRC
• Familiarity with lean manufacturing and lean tools
• Experience with technical installations in agribusiness: boiler and steam systems, compressed air systems, mechanical engineering
• QHSE skills
• Having worked in an international environment or company
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Operating Officer in Burkina Faso? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Sales Representative in DR Congo , Congo (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
Our client active in the Food and Beverage sector is looking for a Sales Representative in order to strengthen their MEA (Middle East & Africa) sales team. The candidate should preferably be based in the Republic of the Congo or the Democratic Republic of the Congo, since there is a growing market which is crucial for our client’s export strategy based on a sustainable business philosophy.
The Sales Representative will be responsible for generating sales volumes by developing partnerships and building strong brand awareness.
Requested are also very good competences in brand management, investments and (data) analytics.
What is the challenge?
• The Sales Representative will lead and influence the sales growth plan for a number of countries in Central Africa and will contribute to put in place the company’s value management and brand marketing programs with the client’s partners and marketeers. The SP will do so by evaluating new routes into the market and finding new ones to grow the company’s portfolio. Besides, the SP will be responsible for the training of the company’s partners in order to align with them about the plans to be implemented in the respective countries.
• The SP will be reporting to the Senior Sales Manager for Southern and Central Africa.
- The candidate must be living in Central Africa (preferably DRC) or is willing to relocate and must have experience in sales and/or business development in the region, although the candidate is expected to travel 30% of the time into neighboring countries.
- The candidate should hold a commercial Bachelor or, ideally, a master’s degree plus 3 – 5 years of experience in an international sales role, preferably in the FMCG.
- The SR should have good financial acumen and strong marketing experience with a proven ability to build trustworthy relationships, influence people through open and relevant communication and work independently.
- Fluent in French and English; fluency in a local language is an added value.
If you are looking for a new challenge in a fast-growing and dynamic company and would like to become a Sales Representative in DR Congo, please apply at the top or bottom of our page (we kindly ask you to send your application in ENGLISH).
General Manager in East Africa , East Africa
The General Manager has the overall responsibility of this production location in East Africa, at which a few hundred people are employed.
- It is absolutely essential that you have worked in a senior management position on a large horticultural farm
- You must have hands-on farming experience for at least 8 years
- You will have experience of working in Africa
- You will be a strong people manager and have experience of large teams reporting into you
- You will be strong commercially and financially and be able to make sound business decisions
- Bachelor or master degree in horticulture or related field
- Good understanding of technical installations
- Comfortable working in the greenhouse
Are you interested in becoming a General Manager in East Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.