Our client is a production plant for industrial products which is in its 6th year of operations. The geographical market for her products is Eastern Africa with a current focus on Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda.
The focus on the coming years will be on business creation and development, and diversification into other product-market combinations.
The General Manager will be responsible for managing the company and staff (over 100 people), and will report to its Board of Directors and shareholders. The direct reports are a Production manager, Quality manager, Finance manager and the Sales team.
The vacancy is a full-time post, based in Naivasha, Kenya.
The General Manager should possess the following qualifications:
- Worked in an African country, preferably East Africa
- Degree in technical studies
- Entrepreneurial skills and business management experience
- Track record in running an operation, preferably in a technical or manufacturing environment
- Financial management skills
- Customer management experience
- Affiliation with the subject of marketing of consumer products, and/or sustainable business development in emerging markets
- Good people skills “soft on people” and “hard on issues”
- Be self-motivated, committed and hands on
- Willingness to travel to the various regions in Eastern Africa
In return, the selected candidate can expect:
- a unique opportunity to manage and grow a business that contributes very concretely and visibly to the economic development of Eastern Africa in a sustainable fashion
- a reasonable level of salary (USD 4-6k gross per month), based on the skills and experiences of the candidate and in line with company income levels and costs of living in Kenya
- secondary benefits including use of the company 4-wheel vehicle, medical cover, company savings scheme, annual ticket to the home country, and school fee allowance
The successful candidate is expected to start sooner rather than later.
Renewable energy Technology Company is seeking a General Manager to expand the company's commercial operations in Kenya.
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales and Operations, Emerging Markets
START DATE: as soon as possible
• Leader: triple the size of the team over 2017, recruit, grow, train and motivate the team. Set up measurable goals on operations, finance and sales.
• Reporting and Finance: oversee local accounting and reporting personnel in order to frequently report and present to the management team at the head office.
• Policy Advocate: work with government officials and multilateral organizations on regulatory policy matters affecting the company and the sector.
• Business Development: built out partnerships, existing and new.
• Manager: obtain sustainable growth of sales through the company’s distribution network. Responsible for meeting project timelines and milestones.
• Systems Builder: build and implement data management systems for sales force, supply chain and customer information coming from the field.
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred
• Min 10 years management experience, preferably working in bottom of the pyramid (BoP) markets in Kenyan rural & more urban areas
• Fluency in English required; Kiswahili or other local language strongly preferred
• Confident and able to deliver a presentation at a conference
• Experience in data collection, processing and analysing
• Able to work with Excel, PowerPoint, Word and other analytical and visual communication tools
• Experience and relationships working with players in the sector and market
• Experience in planning and executing budgets and timelines
• Ability to motivate and inspire
• Ability to work in a team as well as independently
• Easy transition from clients in the field to dealing with large companies or government
• Willingness to work flexible hours
Nice to haves
• Logistics and supply chain experience
• Start-up experience
Job Description: Our client is developing a large irrigated farming hub in northern Ghana.
The Location: The presumption is that the candidate would have a significant presence on site, with the remainder of time at offices in Accra or Tamale.
Term of Contract: Full time, 1 year contract with potential for permanent
Salary: Commensurate to Experience
The Environmental and Social Specialist (ESS) will work with the project team and ESG manager to implement the current ESG Action Plan for the project and develop this further as the project develops. This will involve working closely with the project development team and Community Liaison Officer (CLO).
The role will require a regular presence at the project site in northern Ghana and additional work with the wider team as required in Accra, Tamale and/or UK.
• Day-to-day responsibility for the delivery of the Environmental and Social Action Plan.
• Leading or contributing to specific packages of work such as stakeholder engagement, needs analysis, community development plans, environmental and social monitoring.
• Working with the project development and agriculture teams to act as an interface between the project and affected communities and in-growers.
• Working with the CLO to ensure effective engagement and consultation with people living/working close to or within the project area and wider affected communities.
• Working with the CLO to maintain good community relations and address community concerns as they arise and agree measures to respond to grievances in liaison with the wider project team and grievance committee.
• Supervising environmental and social consultants supporting the project.
• Helping communicate community project health, safety and security measures to promote community, in-grower and worker safety and awareness.
• Managing the project permitting requirements, keeping all up to date and providing reporting as required.
• Liaison with relevant state and regulatory agencies.
• Degree in relevant social science or environmental specialist.
• Demonstrable familiarity and track record of implementing national law and good international industry (GIIP) in Environmental and Social issues.
• Track record of working in line with the requirements of international financial institutions e.g. World Bank, AfDB, Equator Principles and specifically the IFC Performance Standards.
Experience of IFC and GIIP aligned:
a) social baseline data collection;
b) stakeholder engagement and key person interviews and groups with a gender and vulnerability lens;
c) physical and economic displacement and IFC PS5 aligned resettlement and livelihoods restoration – planning and implementation;
d) community needs analysis and development planning;
e) community health, safety and security; and
f) influx management.
g) Proven ability to communicate effectively, understand community and stakeholder perspectives and vulnerabilities and to engage with project affected people and project management teams positively and constructively.
h) An understanding of gender issues in a development context.
i) Proven ability to work safely in remote field locations with limited support.
j) Proven responsibility for day to day management of social studies and delivery.
Valued additional skills and experience include:
• Previous experience working in Ghana and/or West Africa.
• Understanding of traditional land title and rights systems in Ghana.
• Proficient in speaking, reading and writing in English and local languages of Ghana.
• Knowledge of the Northern Ghanaian region and the communities.
REPORTS TO: Supervisory Operations Manager
2. JOB PURPOSE
The Accommodation and Housekeeping Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, and developing of the overall operation of the accommodation and housekeeping department in accordance with the clients contract and guidelines along with assuring the highest degree of quality guest care is maintained at all times. Responsible for staffing, scheduling, training and developing staff.
3. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Follow all applicable policies and procedures required for the successful execution of the job.
• Consistent, successful output at work in relation to company Policies and Procedures Follow the Policy and meet the requirements of the organization’s Integrated Management System which is compliant to international standards for Quality (ISO 9001), Food Safety (ISO 22000), Occupational Health & Safety (OHSAS 18001), and Environmental Management System (ISO 14001).
• Consistent, successful output at work in relation to standards
• Cooperate with internal and external auditors.
• Ability to answer questions appropriately and close findings promptly
• Make recommendations for continual improvement and support improvement initiatives the company undertakes.
• Evidence of quality-improvement initiatives
• Manage the daily activities of the Housekeeping department to include appropriate cleaning of all offices, concourses, seating areas, washrooms, restaurants, accommodations and all public spaces.
• Planning, organizing and directing team members to ensure the highest degree of guest satisfaction.
• Daily supervision of the housekeeping staff.
• Purchase, re-order and maintain housekeeping supplies and inventory.
• Recruit, schedule and train all new housekeeping staff members.
• Maintain the housekeeping budget, providing billing summaries and expenses
• Uphold the highest standards of cleanliness, safety, and conduct.
• Knowledge of OSHA and safety standards within Housekeeping department.
• Ensures the proper maintenance of all equipment; makes arrangements for repair and/or replacement of used and damaged equipment.
• Attending and resolving guest complaints.
• Ensure that rooms are made as per company standard.
4. JOB CONTEXT
• Daily inspection of public areas and employees locker rooms.
• Coordinating the preventive maintenance schedule of rooms and public area with maintenance department.
• Immediately attending to guest requests.
5. COMMUNICATIONS & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
• Internal management team and head office.
• Service provider and Team members
• Leader & Coach: Leading, managing and developing his team through the appropriate supervisor structure.
• Staff members: These will consist of drivers, helpers, warehouse staff, administration staff, and supervision.
• Being able to communicate effectively with customer, suppliers and regulatory authority as per the company policy and work ethics.
6. FRAMEWORKS, BOUNDARIES & DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
• Responsible to execute the tasks related to Logistics operations within the guidelines provide or set as per the company policies/ logistics process maps/ ISO manual.
• Financial authority as approved within company guidelines.
• Able to take decisions independently and handle problems associated with: staff planning, discipline, welfare and development.
7. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• Fluent in spoken and written English.
• Proven superior customer service skills.
• Detailed oriented and have the ability to multi-task.
• Capable of using independent judgment/solid decision making skills ability.
• Ability to monitor inventory.
• Knowledge of Budgeting or accounting is desirable.
• Advanced knowledge of Housekeeping process and procedures.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the hotel/hospitality industry, or equivalent, relevant experience is required.
• The Candidate must have demonstrated thorough knowledge of the typical U.S. standards of housekeeping and hotel reception.
• Minimum of 3 years of supervision experience, or equivalent experience.
• Previous experience managing a team of housekeeping employees through motivation, coaching and development.
• College degree, preferably in Hospitality Management or a related field.
Salary would be between USD 3.500 - 4.200 nett. Accommodation, Insurance & transportation provided by the company. 12 weeks on and 3 weeks off with a ticket back home per rotation.
Our client, a leading industrial food processor, requires the services of a suitably qualified, well-motivated and results driven Project Manager in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
The candidate will be working directly with and reporting to the Senior Strategic Project Manager with regards the execution of specific tasks and information gathering required to evaluate and develop business cases for the foods processing business opportunities that have been (or potentially will still to be identified) in Cote d’ivoire.
As the Cote d’Ivoire Project Manager, the position will encompass:
(1) Being an on-the-ground resource and source of support for research, analysis and conducting fact finding verifications or validations;
(2) Being a source of contact for important strategic in country stakeholders (e.g. National Government, local government and community leaders as well as potential suppliers and clients);
(3) Manage, plan, organize and control various short to medium term initiatives in support of specific business case development requirements;
• Business Case Evaluation - Conduct in depth research and validation of key business case drivers that have been identified for a particular business case
• Business Management - Provide on the ground support to key strategic and operational initiatives at various business opportunities
• Stakeholder Management - Building and maintain strong relationships with key strategic partners in country
• Project Management - During the business launch phase; plan, coordinate, control and implement the project management activities in order to meet the contract milestones and objectives. Manage in-country activities to ensure effective launch of new business and opportunity
• Reporting - Regular reporting to the Senior Strategic Project Manager on progress, challenges, additional support required
Qualitifications / Knowledge
• Postgraduate Degree (preference for Commerce and Agriculture)
• Microsoft Office includes( MS Word, MS Excel, MS Projects, MS Power Point and MS Outlook);
• Knowledge of Cote d’Ivoire Agriculture and Industrial sectors
• Project Management qualification
• Supply and Value chain qualificatons
• General Business Management
• Local and regional economic and politics
• Well connected with established networks
• At least 3 years commercial experience
• At least 2 years FSCM or FMCG or Agriculture
• Farming and Food processing
• HACCP exposure
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Report writing skill
• Well versed in English and French (Verbal and written)
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Well organised with time management capabilities
• Logical reasoning capabilities and problem solver
• Scheduling and planning abilities
• Ability to manage multiple work streams
• Confident and Motivated
• Self-sufficient and Independent
• Well organized, self starter
• Passionate about Africa and food
• Entrepreneurial tendancies
• Native Cote d’Ivoirian or international candidate that has been based there for the past > 3 years at least
• Own a reliable vehicle
• Based in Abidjan
• Some International exposure
The fixed term contract will be for 6-months, with an option to extend to a Permanent Role, depending on the outcome of the business case development and performance of the candidate.
Compensation will vary based on experience, expected to be between 9 000 000 and 15 000 000 CFA for the full 6 months.
All expenses associated with travel outside of Abidjan will be reimbursed, provided pre-travel approval and presentation of full receipts.
Location: Chamba / Lome - Togo
Reporting to: Managing Director/Director General
Size of team 4 direct, 800 employees indirect reports
Our client is zooming in on economically viable and sustainable business. They develop activities in Togo food crop production and processing. The client has two factories in Togo. The factories combined have a processing capacity of over 5000 tons of Raw Cashew Nuts per year. In 2016 – the factories processed roughly 2000 tons of RCN. t There are about 800 employees processing these nuts. The processed nuts are for the export market.
We are looking for a head of production to have oversight on both factories. This person should be a senior manager, with an affiliation with Africa and good leadership-, coaching, communicative skills (intercultural) and good financial insight. It is critical that this leader has lean manufacturing experience to establish and reinforce best practices at our client.
For the daily running of the operation we are recruiting a Head of Production for the plants in Togo. The purpose of the job is to ensure the future of the company and to make sure it is profitable, with a focus on productivity and quality. Our client has over 10 years of experience in processing Cashew Nuts and has grow organically from processing 40 Tons/Year in 2005 to 2000 tons/Year in 2016. However, the company now has ambition to grow to 5000-10000 Tons processed per year – and the leadership of the company believes that an experienced Lean Manufacturing Leader is required to take the company to the next level.
The company wants to be best in class in RCN purchasing, processing, in CNSL processing – not just with conventional kernels but also in the fair trade and organic markets.
• Oversees and manage all operations of production.
• Identify opportunities for continuous improvement in processing.
• Puts in place Lean Manufacturing best practices in both factories in Tchamba and Blitta.
• Coordinates and directs the preparation of the budget and financial reports and forecasts
• Responsible for business processes and optimisation and internal controls
• Strategy formulation and implementation and development of business plan
• Coach the management team on production plans
• Help, support and coach the managers in achieving the company’s goals
• Develop and document business processes and policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
• Identify key deliverables and implement weekly KPI to measure performance
• Make financial and production reports for the managing director and shareholders, as well as for international banks and other stakeholders.
• Forecasting levels of demand for services and products to meet the business needs and keeping a constant check on stock level
• Senior Manager with 10+ years of experience in a management role, with a strong focus on operations
• Some knowledge of financial principles and procedures, such as making budgets and financial reporting.
• Experience in working in (West) Africa
• Industrial background, process management
• Good understanding of the English and French language written and spoken
• Must be a visionary and lead by example
• Should be a customer-oriented and result-driven person
• Good communication skills
• Enthusiastic, accurate
• Structured in work methodology
• Stress resistant and flexible
• € 40.000 nett per annum
• Vehicle, Housing, International Insurance
• Performance based bonus of € 5.000
For one of our ongoing programmes in Mozambique, we are looking for a Deputy Team Leader (DTL) / Finance Manager. The programme is called Skills for Employment (S4E) and the working title is JOBA. JOBA is focused on the development of a more robust labour market and a better prepared work force that is ready to meet the demands of a modern Mozambican economy.
The JOBA programme is targeting the improvement of the training market to overcome the mismatch between the supply and demand of labour. JOBA aims to build constructive partnerships between non-state technical and vocational education and training (TVET) providers, the private sector, and the Mozambican government, supporting an inclusive approach to job creation.
The Financial Manager /Deputy Team Leader forms part of the senior management team of the JOBA Programme, implementing the S4E programme of DFID. The FM/DTL is the overall in charge of the finances of the programme and of the financial aspects of the Employment Fund. In addition the FM/DTL leads the JOBA team in terms of operations, including administration, human resources management and the functioning of the team. This includes issues like safety and security, team meetings, budgeting and forecasting, financial reporting, quarterly reporting.
S/he deputises the Team Leader where and when necessary.
The Financial Manager /Deputy Team Leader is responsible for the following:
1. Contribute to programme planning (logframe, ToC, annual and quarterly plans);
2. Establishment of financial management systems to plan, monitor and report expenditure (both for the investments and the Fund Manager’s own expenditure);
3. Overseeing the Accountant and the Office Manager in preparing of and reporting on the project accounts;
4. Preparation of revolving 3 monthly budget forecasts and monitoring of the same;
5. Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial and HR reports;
6. Support TL and Grant Manager in strategic positioning of the Employment Fund;
7. Development of processes for disbursing funds and the oversight of the same, including the monitoring and reporting systems;
8. Supervising the contracting and management of the investments under the Fund;
9. Preparation and finalisation of contracts between BMB Mott MacDonald (acting on behalf of DFID) and the successful applicants, incorporating the conditions of the grant disbursement set out by the Investment Committee. Contracts must be in alignment with the World Bank’s anticorruption guidelines and with the DFID Guidelines on investment in the private sector;
10. Ensuring that the funds are disbursed in accordance with the signed contract;
11. Contribution to the annual work plans for the Employment Fund;
12. Support the development and management of the Grievance Redressal Mechanism for the Employment Fund.
- The FM/DTL is a holder of a Masters degree in Economics, Accounting or a similar field
- Experience in project management is a plus, in particular in the field of grant management
1. Must write excellent English (preferably native speaker) and speak/read Portuguese
2. Have proven analytical capacity (we are NOT looking for an accountant)
3. Be familiar with (financial) management donor projects and project management
4. Preferably have a background in grant management
5. Have proven knowledge and experience in administration and HR
6. Is able to represent the JOBA Programme through presentations and in client and stakeholder meetings.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. The employer will do the recruitment process himself. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but we don’t have any influence on this concerning this job.