JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. SafeBoda is a pre-series A Ugandan-based tech startup on a mission to make motorcycle taxis (bodas) more safe, affordable, and convenient across Sub-Saharan Africa—while providing a more meaningful and lucrative career for drivers. And we think we have a shot to build a very valuable company in the process. Backed by the Shell Foundation, Development Innovation Ventures USAID, the Global Innovation Fund, and an angel tech investor, SafeBoda is well off to the races: we have nailed the driver-side model with 1000+ drivers, growing at 8% week-on-week over the last 6 months, and we are looking to better monetize our ~20,000 trips in Kampala per day.
Head of Business Development
SafeBoda is looking for a Head of Business Development to help ensure SafeBoda is the most innovative company in the transportation space in Africa. The ideal candidate will have both strong consulting experience and start-up skills.
The Head of Business Development will work closely with the founders and will play a pivotal role in shaping the company’s future. The Head of Business Development requires a high-level of multi-tasking skills and start-up hustle to execute in a fast growing start-up.
What we are looking for
• 3+ years of experience in Management Consulting, Business, or at a Start-up is preferred. Experiences such as successful entrepreneurial projects or leading a partnership engagement is ideal
• Proven leadership ability
• Ability to structure problems, prioritize them, and then get things independently done
• Detail-oriented with superior organizational and problem-solving skills - balancing multiple projects, deadlines, and requests should be second nature to you
• Supreme communication skills both written and spoken and ability to communicate solutions to complex problems will be essential
• Data-driven and analytical
• Flexibility, positivity and ability to enjoy new environments
• At a minimum strong undergraduate degree with demonstrated strong academic performance
• Excitement for SafeBoda and what we are trying to achieve in urban transportation in Africa
• Build, organize and manage Safeboda’s Government, Business and Research partnerships amongst other projects.
• Hands-on support on a number of projects such as building a road safety initiative, structuring a driver training program with our partners and supporting the analysis on the impact of SafeBoda on the community
• Work with a diverse range of public, private and international industry leaders in a number of different sectors to innovate and improve SafeBoda’s business and impact
• Join the Senior Management Team that reports to the Co-Founders
Commensurate with experience
Our client is an ambitious and innovative specialist in breeding plants and flowers.
For one of their locations in Uganda the are on the lookout for a:
Upcoming Farm Manager m/f
As Upcoming Farm Manager you are, under supervision of the Farm Manager, responsible for the production of one of the locations. You manage diverse teams and lead, train and motivate the team leaders. Cultivation knowledge and background a must, technical insight (Machine fleet, installations, etc.) a huge preference.
Other focus areas are:
• Managing the production and logistical processes at the farm, including climate, lightning, fertilisers and pesticides.
• Care for initiating and implementation of the work planning
• Support and where needed replace the Farm Manager
• Care for good communication with the Farm Manager and other departments
• Responsible for quality control, setting up SOP’s, checks, etc.
• Bachelor in relevant field
• Proven knowledge of cultivation plus a few years working experience
• Knowledge of climate regulation and fertiliser systems as well as horticulture techniques
• Good communication skills
• Management skills and, in base, have a natural leadership style
• Precise and quality focussed
• Analytic and problem solving ability
• Fluent in English and Dutch
A challenging job with responsibility and opportunities to grow. Je work in a lovely country and will be supported by a great team. You can count on good primary and secondary employment terms.
Luxury city hotel with +250 rooms & suites & residential apartments with multiple F&B outlets and meetings facilities. The hotel is part of an international hotel chain and is located In Uganda.
Previous experience working in Africa preferred
Candidate must be fluent in English
High team engagement abilities and people management skills.
Experience of having worked within a multi-cultural team and within a multi-cultural work environment
Organized, motivated and revenue orientated
Strong follow up, strategic planning, PR skilled
Decisive and responsible
Energetic, flexible and willing travel for business.
PACKAGE AND CONDITIONS
• Interesting NET of taxes salary based upon experience
• Free housing
• Medical insurance
• Annual airline tickets to home country, 30 vacation days
Have you always dreamed of running your own kitchen in an innovative restaurant in Africa? Dutchess, the best Restaurant and Hotel in West Uganda, is looking for a head chef. We are looking for a person who can motivate our team to serve high quality food in a timely manner. But who also understands the limitations of our environment and can be a mentor to our cooks. Do you recognise yourself in this profile and are you looking for a new adventure? Sign up and change your life.
Dutchess was started in 2011 by Michel Kroon en Heleen Meijer. Dutchess is located in Fort Portal, West Uganda in a beautiful environment and climate. The restaurant is known as the best restaurant in town. It has a beautiful garden, several terraces and a balcony, in total 25 tables. On the first floor it has a conference room for 30 people and 5 bedrooms. With plans of expanding the number of tables and bedrooms. Dutchess has 30 staff, primarily from our region. The philosophy of Dutchess is to develop local economy by using local resources.
You would be heading a team of 8 cooks and several dishwashers. You will lead three small kitchens: a wood-fired oven, a cold and hot kitchen. We make many products ourselves, like bread, pesto, ice-cream, roasted ham and dairy products (like cheese and yoghurt).
You work hand in hand with an Ugandan manager who is responsible for purchasing and stock control . You will report to the floor manager. The German floor manager is responsible for the day to day running of restaurant and the hotel and for the service and quality to our guests.
We are looking for a head chef who:
• has a passion for food
• is a good organiser
• is a real team leader
• is hands-on, flexible, creative and able to improvise
• handles culture differences in a positive way
• has formal qualification in Cookery
• minimum of 3 years experience as a autonomous cook in an a-la-carte restaurant
• good command of English language
• works conform the HACCP rules
Your activities will include:
• plan, coordinate and prepare food
• control the quality of food and hygiene
• control timeliness of delivery of food to the guests
• controlling food cost without compromising quality
• innovate the menu
• train and monitor kitchen staff, be a role model
• initiate improvements and signal problem areas
We offer a job in a successful restaurant and hotel in beautiful surroundings with the following conditions.
• Gross salary of 900 euro per month
• Allowance for visa and work permit.
• One year contract, and after that one year a permanent position.
• At permanent appointment a yearly holiday allowance of 800 euro.
• Mediation for housing
• Free meals on duty at Dutchess
The price level in Fort Portal is quite low. An apartment is available for approximately 150-200 euro a month.
We can not offer a very high salary, but we can offer a unique experience to get to know Uganda from the inside. The surroundings of Fort Portal is known for its beauty with its beautiful crater lakes with many monkeys, the peaks of the Rwenzori mountains with permanent snow, chimpanzees, tea fields and lions, elephants, buffalos, hippos only 80 km away. The constant cool climate is also excellent. Beside the environment we offer a cook a challenge workwise. Heading 8 cooks, working in a different culture, setting the menu. We realise we can not afford an experienced head chef, but we can offer a good cook a unique experience to grow in his career off the beaten track.
"Iles de Paix" was founded 50 years ago by Dominique Pire (Nobel peace prize). The association facilitates rural development though the promotion of sustainable family farming.
• Defining IDP’s intervention strategies in Uganda.
• Coordinating the implementation of IDP’s programs in Uganda.
• Representing IDP and managing the human and material resources of the association in Uganda.
• University level in economy, agronomy or environmental studies.
• At least 8 years of professional experience in management of rural development programs oriented towards the promotion of sustainable family farming (though participatory methodologies)
• Fluent in French and English.
• Team management experience.
Full time and permanent contract.
Motivation in French.
AFRIpads (Uganda) Ltd. is a fast-growing social enterprise in Uganda that manufactures and sells reusable (washable) cloth sanitary pads as an impactful feminine hygiene solution for women and girls in East Africa and beyond. Creating social impact is paramount to AFRIpads’ business objectives. The company’s mission is to empower women and girls through business, innovation, and opportunity. Having pioneered the reusable sanitary pad market in East Africa, AFRIpads has reached nearly 1 million women and girls with its product. Headquartered in Kampala, Uganda and with a manufacturing facility in Masaka, AFRIpads currently employs 115 staff across both locations.
AFRIpads seeks a creative, engaged, open-minded and resourceful Design Associate for an initial period of 6-months (potential to extend) to take the lead in product R&D. This recruit will be responsible for innovation and design of AFRIpads’ products, such as menstrual pads and associated products, and any new services to be developed, such as educational materials and tools. The Design Associate will have extensive opportunity to engage with the different departments of the company, ranging from production to sales, as well as direct customer engagement. It is a unique opportunity to be at the forefront of product design for bottom-of-the-pyramid customers who demand good value for money and innovative products that improve and ease their everyday lives. This is a chance to work in an exciting, growing social enterprise that values your ideas for innovation and wants to channel your skills and expertise to positively impact the lives of millions of women and girls.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Engage with the Sales Department and through them with customers to understand users’ needs and desires, while looking beyond the surface at underlying factors that may be influencing these.
• Interpret and translate the above into cost-effective and practically implementable product and services innovations in cooperation with the Production, Supply Chain and Sales Departments
• Create concepts for the look and feel of products and express them in a compelling way, both visually and verbally. Create stories, sketches, mockups, models, illustrations, 2D and 3D renderings and photography.
• Contribute to companywide discussions on the development of the product line from a design point of view.
• Track a design schedule to ensure a timely completion following the predetermined product development calendar.
• Research the Menstrual Hygiene Management space and related industries for ideas and new products.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to create 2D and 3D visualisations by sketching and using appropriate software.
• Knowledge of and experience in sustainable product development.
• Strong reporting, communication, and presentation skills, both written and oral.
• Mastery of English with excellent command of the language, both written and oral.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and proactively, with excellent time management.
• Interface well in multi-disciplinary teams.
• Demonstrated ability to interact professionally and with sensitivity amongst culturally diverse staff and customers.
• Flexibility with shifting priorities and competing demands in a fast-paced, challenging work environment. Ability to act independently and proactively, while exercising maturity, resilience and good judgment.
• Commitment to the company’s mission and objectives, with a keen interest in social enterprise and the desire to empower and enable value-conscious consumers through a high-impact, BOP-oriented business.
• Willingness to work flexible hours and to travel occasionally for work.
AFRIpads (U) Ltd. is offering a compensation package commensurate with experience and a 6-month renewable contract.
HOW TO APPLY:
Suitably qualified candidates should submit their CV and cover letter (statement of interest, motivation), contact information, and names and contact details of three references to the undersigned no later than 22nd August, 2016. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. In case you do not hear from AFRIpads, please consider your application unsuccessful. No phone calls please.
About the role
The People Development and Organisational Culture Manager will play a key role in leading and developing the people, values and culture that strongly define and set the course for the organisation, and will operate within in the unique context of STIR Education as a fast growing organisation and movement. The role is an exciting opportunity for a vibrant creative thinker; for someone who enjoys thinking around structure and strategy; who is passionate about people development; and who thrives working in an informal atmosphere.
Main responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Design, launch and oversee systems for people development efforts and cultural alignment, and ensuring they are fully aligned with STIR's distinct culture, strategy and objectives e.g. appraisal and feedback systems, recruiting systems and lead the process of recruitment, induction assessment systems for promotion, recognition
• Develop and implement organisational policies and practices to be used as guidance across teams and offices within country - and are strongly based off STIR core values
• Develop, launch and oversee the overall leadership development plan for STIR staff at different levels, using internal sources of training expertise and external partners, based on a clear understanding of staff development areas
• Develop the right channels and platforms for strong immersion of staff into the STIR culture (such as inductions, cultural 'boot camps' etc.)
• Work with head of communications to celebrate key achievements and stories linked to people, organisational development and culture
• Develop a group of 'culture carriers' (staff in different areas) through the different STIR offices that act as an ongoing force to maintain a strong culture
• Design and implement a forum/channel for the sharing of innovation, learning and knowledge sharing around people, organisation development and culture across teams, networks and offices through these 'culture carriers'
• Provide 1:1 support to STIR leadership team on people/organisation development matters, and bespoke advice/mentoring to line managers for any people related concerns or challenges. Be available to staff on a 1:1 basis as needed
• Develop a set of organisational health metrics and track progress against these with STIR senior team and discuss potential new opportunities and initiatives
You are a big believer in the values of organisational culture and you have a natural passion to work with people; open to unconventional ways of operating and strategizing; feel comfortable in creating your own professional space – as well as supporting individuals at different levels to do the same; and are excited about the idea of shaping something new and different. The idea of close collaboration across teams energizes you, along with a focus on shared learning across offices and cultural boarders.
You are positive and optimistic such that you can collaborate with, carefully listen too and influence others; are action orientated; love efficiency and day-to-day operations, and remain open and humble as you work with people from a variety of backgrounds. It is important you can show openness to creative ways in developing people to become excellent practitioners in their own rights, and that you can display the STIR core values.
We expect you to have approximately 5 years professional experience with Human Resource and good understanding of Learning Development and/or Organisational Development, and some Management experience. Ideally you have demonstrated experience in designing systems and structures in managing change within an organisation, in supporting others do so, and the ability to understand peoples needs.
Does this sound like you? Then we would love to hear from you!
In your application, please mention:
• Current notice period and current annual compensation
• Two professional references
• Additionally share a short write up on below questions (each in not more than 100 words)
1. Why would you make a good fit for STIR and this particular role?
2. “Teachers are Changemakers” – what is your opinion about the statement with respect to the real scenario in the Uganda schooling system?
3. Why do you think organisational culture is important for the direction of STIR?
4. What general key aspects are important to consider when putting together a high performing organisation?
Applications are considered on a rolling basis but with a final deadline of July 15, 2016. Due to a high number of applications, unfortunately we will only be able to contact those that have been shortlisted.
STIR Education is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, economic status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status
Le Chateau restaurant - Brasserie is part of Sokoni Africa that has been operating food and hospitality related business in Uganda since 1993.
Sokoni Africa also operates a boutique hotel “Le Petit Village” and a patisserie called “La Patisserie” and owns a small shopping center that houses various retail outlets.
Le Chateau and La Patisserie serve the Ugandan and the large expatriate community with high-end Belgian - French cuisine, patisserie and bakery products.
Currently the company runs 1 restaurant, 2 shops and is recruiting an experienced Chef to assist the company with its current running of the restaurant kitchen operations and oversee the pastry production.
The kitchen and production unit has a number of experienced and well trained local staff that will support the Head Chef.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Head Chef is responsible for the supervision, motivation and inspiration of the kitchen brigade.
Looks after the planning, coordination , food production and controle of the kitchen and also oversees the production process of the "Patisserie".
Ensures that products are efficiently produced at the right cost and level of quality and pays close attention to detail to ensure smooth operations of the kitchen.
• Overall responsibility for daily operations in the kitchen and the pastry workshop
• Operate and supervise the kitchen and staff and ensure efficient execution
• Manage, train and recruit a brigade of kitchen staff to assist in the daily operations
• Ensure profitability by controlling food cost without compromising quality.
• Develop and innovate the menus to set the tone for the restaurant and brasserie.
• Innovate, develop and train staff on food menu
• Drawing up production schedule as well as supervising production process
• Ensuring that products are produced on time and of good quality
• Estimating costs and setting quality standards
• Supervise the production process and adjust schedules as needed
• Monitoring product standards and implement quality control program
• Liaise with supervisors in the department to implement company policies and goals
• Supervise and motivate a team of workers
• Analyse production and quality control to detect problems and make recommendations to his next in line for correction
• Organising the repair and routine maintenance of production equipment
• Ensure timely deliveries and follow up on customer orders