JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Ghana : Program Officer for Sustainable Cocoa Programs
Location: Based in Kumasi, Ghana with regular trips to Accra and cocoa regions
Field of Expertise: Project Management
Work Experience: 1-3 years
Work Status: 40 hours per week.
Preferred Candidates: Local jobseekers invited to apply
Our client is a young and fast growing cocoa trading company that has the ambition to connect the cocoa supply chain participants in the most efficient and effective way. Sustainability is a key pillar of the company.
Your key responsibilities will be to
• Monitor progress of certification activities of our cocoa suppliers in the field;
• Coordinate execution of sustainability activities in the field in collaboration with cocoa suppliers, clients and partners like UTZ certified, WFP, PDA ;
• Support our M&E data collection with field staff from our cocoa suppliers;
• Report to clients on project indicators of sustainability programs;
• Maintain relationships with our farmer groups, exporters, and client representatives;
• Identify new local suppliers and partners for program up-scaling.
Skills we are looking for
• An academic degree in agriculture, community development or other related fields;
• At least 1 years of experience in project management and/or commodities;
• A passionate and ambitious worker;
• Excellent organizational skills and relationship management
• Extensive knowledge of Excel, experience with online tools (surveys, GIS) is a pre;
• You need to be innovative and driven to continuously improve our projects and procedures
• Fluent in English and local language is a pre;
• Bush proof, you will spend 2-3 days per week in district warehouses and on plantations
What they offer
You will be part of a fast-growing company and broad network with excellent future career opportunities. They offer substantial freedom in your work, daily sustainability topics, and personal development. You will learn about the newest tools and programs to bring a positive change to cocoa farmer livelihoods and environment.
Role title: Trader/ Senior Trader- Cashew Kernels, Europe
Base: Amsterdam or London
Reporting to: Head Trader, Cashew, Edible Nuts and Ingredients
Our client, a global commodities and supply chain merchant, operating in Cocoa, Coffee, Cotton, Edible Nuts and Ingredients is actively recruiting the role of Cashew Kernel Trader for Europe for its Edible Nuts and Ingredients Division.
This role would suit a seasoned agro-commodities professional with first-hand experience in sourcing, sales, trading, shipping and with at least 5 years’ experience working with a global trading company, specifically cashew kernel trading. The role involves co-ordinating with all origin countries and clients/ brokers. The role is based in Amsterdam or London, reports into the Head of Trading for Cashew in Dubai and is supported by the trade execution team in Dubai.
The right candidate will be on a succession plan to heading the cashew kernel/ edible nuts trading desk in Europe.
Duties and Responsibilities
The role will have the following key responsibilities across the business:
• Sales of cashew kernel (and other edible nuts) to various clients in European markets
• Relationship management at one to one level with all key stake holders in the region such as buyers, suppliers, brokers, service providers etc.
• Networking and development of new set of customers / suppliers and service providers
• Leveraging from current relationships of the company's cocoa/ coffee and cotton desk in the region.
• Sourcing of various products from the basket on FOB Model
• Ensure documentation control for all shipping/ trade documentation including export documents, import documents, letters of credit, shipping instructions etc are in place
Qualifications and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, marketing, sales, finance or another business-related field.
• Minimum of 10 years’ professional experience, including at least 5 year’s experience handling logistics and shipping operations for a global commodities company
• Specific cashew kernel trading experience
• Experience of sales of other edible into other markets e.g. North America and Australia, preferred
Skills and competencies
• Highly organized, systematic and able to multi-task under pressure
• Entrepreneurial and bottom of the pyramid skill sets
• Strong interpersonal, problem solving and negotiation skills
• Analytical with a good head for figures
• Innovative, entrepreneurial
• Excellent verbal communication and written communication including the ability to produce clear presentations and reports
• Proficient in MSOffice (including MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint)
• French, Russian, Arabic and/ or other European languages highly desirable
Are you interested in becoming a Senior Trader in Amsterdam or London? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.
Our client is an established international supplier of organic and Fairtrade processed food. They have developed sustainable food chains in South America and Africa and they are looking for a Managing Director for their Burkina Faso development with over 50 permanent staff and up to 500 seasonal workers generating a turnover of around 3 to 4 mln Euro per year
The purpose of the job is to build a profitable business without losing track of social and environmental sustainability. Carefully managing the stakeholders, investments and the resource of the company, the Leader is hands on and pragmatic. He or she aspires to build a lean and profitable organisation whilst driving the mission & vision of the company of which direct producer relationship and fair, transparent business practices are an important part.
The Managing Director heads the Management Committee made off three director’s functions:
1. Agronomy and Sourcing
2. Finance and Administration
Responsibilities include :
• Lead and sustain the Management committee of the company
• Undertake all company management responsibilities both from legal and organisational point of view
• Full P&L and balance sheet responsibility
• Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget, the relevant forecasts Enhance, develop and optimise business processes, policies and internal controls
• Strategy formulation and implementation and development of business plan
• Help, support and coach the managers in achieving the companies’ goals
• Recruit key staff members
• Identify key deliverables and implement KPI to measure performance
• Enable the relevant reporting and information for the manager and shareholders, as well as for international banks and other stakeholders.
• Ensure full legal, statutory and international standards compliance
• Establish fair relations build on partnership with external partners as well as employees
• Networking, public relations
• Bachelor / Master in relevant fields
• 10+ years working experience
• 5+ years’ experience in leading an organisation, preferably in agro processing
• Relevant (West) Africa experience managing relatively large number of employees
• Candidate with a long-term aspiration to live in Burkina Faso
• Familiar and enjoying dealing with local authorities, producers, stakeholders
• Great reporting skills
• Strong soft skills and understanding of African cultural challenges
• French & English (written and spoken)
• Local contract, long term position, one harvest season handover
• Both local and international candidates are encouraged to apply
• Start date October to December 2018
Are you interested in becoming a Managing Director in Burkina Faso? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Position: Regional Agronomist West Africa
Country/Regional Name: Ivory Coast and Ghana, based in Ivory Coast.
Reporting to: Regional Director, West Africa Chemical and Commodities
Our client, in sustainable supply chain, is seeking a techno-commercial agronomist with a strategic approach and entrepreneurial mindset to build up the agronomy department across West Africa. This role will correspond with the various business heads such as Crop Doctor.
The Regional Agronomist will be an individual with practical agronomy experience of either agronomically manage plantations for tree crops or have dealt with small holder farmers on the agronomy side. He/ She will have to demonstrate techno-commercial knowledge to be able not just improve agronomic interventions in our business but also provide commercial support to such interventions.
The Regional Agronomist role is a cross- business and functional role and is responsible for a wide variety of interventions:
- Support and develop technical content to be used in products and services distribution to farmers;
- Technical lead for Farm management services business that is being developed in West Africa region;
- Create and manage demo plot to demonstrate impact of Crop Doctor Products from the Ecom stable. Also create and manage demo plots for other businesses;
- Create a top quality agronomy team that provides best in class support to Ecom businesses in WAF and ensure it alignment with the company’s business strategy;
- Partner with SMS Advisory Services, SMS Farm management Services and Crop Doctor business
- Introducing current innovations in Agriculture worldwide into our businesses in WAF;
- Effectively report on new experiments and findings to build a consistent knowledge base across the WAF region;
- Build and own relationships with external agronomy research institutions;
- Build and develop relations with large plantation owners and with other Ecom group businesses to create a shared knowledge bank.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Post graduate in agriculture or Agronomy
Minimum of 10 years’ experience in practical Techno- Commercial Agronomy.
Knowledge of the rural sector, farming communities, agribusiness products, plantation management
Excellent technical agronomic skills
Ability to interpret strategy into implementation
Good commercial knowledge
Excellent communication and listening skills; good interpersonal relationship skills
Excellent research and analytical skills
Innovation and strategic thinking ability
Excellent technical agronomy skills
Ability to work independently and within team
Ability to travel extensively within West Africa
Fluency in English and bi-lingual capability in French
Strong problem solving and negotiation skills
Ability to live in rural environments
Are you interested in becoming a Regional Agronomist in West Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is an established international supplier of organic and Fairtrade processed food. They have developed sustainable food chains in South America and Africa and they are looking for a Head of Agronomy and Sourcing for their processing business in Burkina Faso counting over 50 permanent staff and up to 500 seasonal workers and generating a turnover of around 3 to 4 mln Euro per year, .
The Head of Agronomy and Sourcing position is part of the Management Committee headed by the Managing Director and composed of three director’s positions:
1. Agronomy and Sourcing
2. Finance and Administration
The purpose of the job is to become strong in sourcing raw material and semi-finished products through direct, fair and transparent relations with producers and processors.
The position has the overall responsibility of raw material or semi-finished product procurement as well as for the agronomic department managing certifications (HACCP, NOP, EU-Organic, FLO etc.) and the development of new agricultural supply chains. The company aims for a lean management of agricultural product sourcing, certification and expansion processes with the necessary commercial, management and administrative activities
Leading a team of 15 people, driving the mission & vision of the company of which direct producer relationship and fair business practices le role responsibilities include:
• Manage the purchasing of raw materials and semi-finished products
• Establish the relevant contracts and supply chain flows in line with the quality requirements
• Develop the relevant network to fully understanding the market prices
• Propose and establish the relevant procurement strategies
• Compile necessary information
• Achieve full transparency in procurement from producers to processing
• Manage the internal control system and several different certificates on field as well as industry level
• Develop new supply areas / products together with producers and cooperatives
• Manage, advise and support the team of field staff and agronomists
• Develop new strategies to ensure certified supply of raw material / semi-finished products
• Increase the number of certified producers and cooperatives
• Find innovative means of collaboration with producers (mobile applications etc.)
• Train producers and suppliers on good agricultural practices, certification, quality standards, hygiene, good governance
• Ensure good execution of activities aiming to increase loyalty of producers and suppliers
• Ensure full traceability of all products sourced
• Compile necessary documentation
• Bachelor / Master in relevant fields
• 10+ years working experience
• 5+ years’ experience of handling Agricultural or other similar commodities / Procurement
• Understanding of procurement, Agronomy and producer management
• Previous (West) Africa experience
• Candidate with a long-term aspiration to live in Burkina Faso Familiar and enjoying dealing with local farmers, cooperatives, informal businesses, authorities, , stakeholders
• French & English (written and spoken)
• Local contract, long term position,
• Both local and international candidates are encouraged to apply
• Start date Oct 2017
Are you interested in becoming a Head of Agronomy and Sourcing in Burkina Faso? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Position: Chief Technology Officer / West Africa
Country/Regional Name: Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria, based in Ghana
Reporting to: Regional Director, West Africa
Grade: Business Head (Grade 1)
Our client, a leading global commodity merchant and sustainable supply chain management company, is seeking a a Chief Technical Officer to lead on all technology development and integration for its fast growing business in West Africa (Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria) and wil be based in Ghana. By leveraging technology, the CTO will help to standardize and streamline the service delivery, which includes an expanding range of products and services, to their network of over 250,000 smallholder farmers across West Africa.
In order for a ‘commercial expansion’ to be successful, the client must bring standardisation to their product offerings, the people and training on these products and knowledge management. The CTO will be required to solve a number of business problems:
1. Data Mining: How do we seamlessly integrate data collected from multiple input sources and systems into the same platform. How do we draw value from and use technology to make decisions on large quantities of data available from different sources?
2. Spatial economics problem: We are far from our consumers, connectivity to IT and telecoms is basic and technology is rudimentary.
3. How do we move from a largely bricks and mortar to a tech-enabled, Bricks and Click business? How do we move from legacy systems based on centralised computing to mobile money enabled point of sale systems which can operate in rural areas.
4. How do we move into new age technology to provide us with regular and reliable real time information on inventory, sales (including point of sale, credit and mobile money systems), people movements etc?
5. How do we integrate our various systems to provide a single user interface which is robust enough to work in rural areas.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Integration of various systems (IT & business processes) to deliver a common usable interface
Support, through technology, the decision making process and visibility of the process both at field level and at headquarters
Scout for new emerging rural/low tech systems that allow mobile money, POS, credit decision making at field level
Evaluate existing systems in house and manage an offshore tech team to achieve business goals
Negotiate to get value from service providers and outsourcing agencies
Ability to support lifetime value creation of the systems being adopted and clearly demonstrates value versus costs of the IT systems
Create a design process with a shortened life cycle to provide IT solution to problem in business
Evaluate business strategy and long term requirements to ensure that systems does not become obsolete
Support SAP implementation when West Africa SAP process begins
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelors in technology plus Masters in Management
Minimum 10 years’ experience in the Information Technology arena
Systems integration experience, ideally as a Chief Technical Officer
Tech background (ideally from startup environment) combined with business knowledge
Experience managing offshore service providers
Strong business development and negotiation skills
Appreciation of the rural tech environment
Interested in Africa and staying in Africa
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Technology Officer in West Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
The Junior Procurement Officer (“Officer”) will be developing himself, and will be assisted in such a development, to a member of the procurement and trade team and will be able to independently contribute on a medium term through:
• Management of procurement operations
• Trading physical cocoa, cocoa futures and options and foreign exchange
• Preparing and conducting market research for trading, management and marketing purposes
The Officer plays an important role in the set-up and growth of the company’s cocoa business in the origins: he connects the company to two of its major stakeholders, the suppliers and our partners in selected origins in West-Africa and Latin America. The Officer’s primary responsibility is to assist the Head of Procurement in the implementation of our sourcing strategy. The Officer might be based in an origin for longer periods for this purpose.
Next to that, we expect the Officer to develop its knowledge and capabilities in trading physical cocoa, cocoa futures and options and foreign exchange in such a way that the Officer can form an integral part of the trade team in the medium term.
Reporting: Reports to Head of Procurement
3. Contract execution
5. Operational Control
7. External contacts
• Ensure the correct implementation of the partnership agreements with partners in selected origins, including all parts of the modus operandi and the stock management.
• Promote and secure business with existing and prospective suppliers and, if applicable, local cocoa export authorities in the assigned country/territory, through a relationship-based approach. Assist the partners in developing its commercial basis in the selected origins.
• Analyse the potential of the selected origins and determine the value of existing and prospective business to the company
• Assist partners in origin and suppliers with shipment planning and execution
• Oversee correctness, timeliness and completeness of shipments
• Solid communication with and provide support for back-office and logistics team
3. Contract execution:
• Assist partners, maintain regular contact with suppliers and, if applicable, local cocoa export authorities to warrant smooth contract execution and timely shipments
• Attend stuffing and/or loading operations at the request of the company
• Expedite the resolution of problems and complaints
• Support CR Officer with implementation of sustainability projects/strategy in Cameroon and in connection with clients
5. Operational Control:
Further develop and implement operational control procedures in origins, including but not limited to:
• Quality control procedures at different stages of the sourcing of cocoa, including setting up own labs or upgrade labs from partners
• i Stock and weight control procedures in (future) own managed and/or at our partners sourcing, cleaning and export operations
• Further develop and implement allocation of purchases to sales and planning of shipments.
• Ensure that the quality and packing of the cocoa meets the standards of the destination country
Supply the company with regular oral and written reports on matters such as, but not limited to:
• Cocoa crop forecast
• Weather conditions and forecast
• Total volume sold and shipped
• Competitive volumes
• Competitive shipments
• Competitive up-country activities
• Rules and regulations of local cocoa bodies and authorities and changes therein
• Premiums granted to farmers for traceability/certification
• Keep abreast of market conditions and competitive activities
7. External contacts:
• Establish and elevate the brand profile in the local area and with local cocoa (export) bodies
• Network and establish relationships with local cocoa (export) bodies/organizations
8. Management and team support:
• Support the management and team in daily execution of sales and purchase contracts
• Support the management in execution of sourcing and trading strategies and risk management
• Work closely with trading and other origin teams to ensure market share growth in the cocoa market
Education, knowledge and experience:
• Level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (Mathematics, Econometrics, Economics, Finance, Agriculture, Business Administration).
• Practical experience in a tropical commodity origin, preferably cocoa could be an advantage
• Basic knowledge on cocoa or other softs/agricultural markets
• Good understanding of risk management in relation to physical softs/agricultural commodities trading
• Effective communicator and negotiator
• Fluent in English and French, and preferably Spanish, both verbal and written
• Team player with strong commercial acumen
• Excellent analytical and numerical skills with attention to detail
• Continuous drive to understand and beat the market
• Well organised, accurate
• Keen sense of priorities to meet short deadlines
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft office applications, especially Excel
• Entrepreneurial, dynamic and looking for opportunities
• Proven interest in, and solid understanding of, global commodities markets
• Focus, commitment and determination
• Able to cope with stress
Work Status: Full time
Location: Douala, and potential (temporary) relocation to another origin country in West-Africa or Latin America. Requires extensive traveling.
• Salary range € 35.000 - € 42.000 per year gross, nett depends on your location
• International insurance
• Tickets 2x per year
• Family is welcome
Are you interested in becoming a Junior Procurement Officer in Cameroon? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is one of the largest off-grid solar company in this part of Africa. They aim to reach half a million households across the region in two years time. The company sells solar home lighting systems on a “pay-per-use” basis, making cleaner energy much more affordable, especially to users with low income.
For their head office in Accra they are looking for a Head of Finance.
1. To ensure that the company is properly capitalized to finance its aggressive growth plans; responsible for developing a deep understanding of the economics of the company’s pay-as-you-go solar plan, how differing growth plans require different amounts and types of capital, and making sure that capital is efficiently used.
2. Support the CEO in developing investment documents that facilitate raising investment (both debt and equity), as well as being responsible for ensuring that board documents, investment materials and investment/grant reports are prepared on time and accurately.
3. To provide timely and relevant information to the executive team, to assist with major strategic decisions; responsible for annual budgeting process, and for helping shape where the business is going in the next 5 years. This should provide management with top-notch data for informing strategic decisions, in which the Head of Finance will participate.
4. To oversee the expansion of the companies accounting and finance functions into multiple countries. The company already has a great Financial Controller and 5 FTE handling treasury, statutory and management accounting, financial controls, and internal and external. Head of Finance will ensure they continue to provide high quality work in line with the company’s strategic vision.
5. To ensure that the copmany has the optimal legal structure for our business lines; review the current structure for its tax and cost efficiency, design and lead the implementation of any changes to the company structure if appropriate, and advise on optimal structures for new subsidiaries in new countries.
6. To lead the company in continuing to attract top-class talent.
7. Prepare the copmany for a potential exit, which will occur sometime between 2018-2020.
8. The Head of Finance will play a key role in shaping the overall strategy of the business working closely with company founders and the executive team. Reporting to the CEO, he/she will need to establish strong working practices with other departments.
1. Education: Minimum requirement is a degree in finance or accounting, or similar. A post-graduate degree is business (MBA), economics, or finance is a plus. CPA or equivalent is a plus.
2. Experience: At least 3 years experience leading the finance function of a multi million revenue company – preferably a business with a strong financing or credit component operating in West Africa or other emerging markets. Ideally experienced at dealing with subsidiaries in multiple countries. Experience as an investor for, or receiving investment from, private equity or venture capital is a important and a huge plus. Experience growing with a company from its early stages to tens of millions in revenue is a plus.
3. Knowledge / Skills: Strong communicator; hands-on team leadership; ability to get into detail when required as well as strategize. Ability to flexibly work with other teams, and develop a good understanding of the competencies and challenges of other teams within the company. Ability to take charge of situations and work quickly and constructively on resolving problems. Written and verbal fluency in English is essential; fluency in French is a big plus.
4. We will strongly prioritise people with experience living in Africa, but will certainly look at exceptional candidates who have not.
USD 40.000 - 70.000 Gross Lumb Sum depending on experience