JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Our customer, a European group, is a leader in Agrochemicals in Africa. To support the strong growth of its African subsidiary active in Crop Protection, they are looking for an Area Manager Southern Africa.
This is a stand alone position that will be reporting to the Africa Director. You will be responsible for the sale of the company's products via distributors (mainly) and B to B in your area.
You participate in the development of the commercial policy and implement it by developing your portfolio through an effective prospecting. You are the interface between your customers and the different departments of the company (technical, marketing ...).
On the lookout for opportunities and strength of proposal, you cultivate a real proximity with your customers.
Ideally, with a higher education, you have a proven experience in the agricultural sector (especially crop protection/fertilisers), and you master the techniques of negotiation and development of accounts for export.
This post is a great opportunity for an enterprising person with a strong interpersonal sense. Your rigor and your sense of organization will facilitate your success. Empathy, the ability to convince, creativity, the taste of the challenge and the result are abilities that you have acquired. Your analytical mind and your anticipation skills will be essential assets to succeed in this position.
This position, based in Southern Africa (location is flexible, also possible to work at the company's premises in South Africa), requires frequent travel to other Southern African countries and good command of English.
Are you interested in becoming an Area Manager Southern Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is an NGO that runs a large scale sustainability programme involving farmers, the private sector, civil society in building a mainstream commodity.
The overall objective of this role is to start up the East and Southern Africa Regional Office in line with the existing strategy and to support system change in farming in the region – making the cash crops better for the people who produce it, the environment it grows in and the sector’s future. The East and Southern Africa Regional Office will work closely with the headquarters office Implementation Team in the coordination and delivery of Country Plans that support the company's Strategy.
At the end of the project, the consultant will have delivered:
1. The establishment of a functioning, regional presence within budget
2. Improved capacity of implementing and strategic partners in the region
3. An assessment of the viability and reliability of existing and potential strategic partners
4. Processes and team fit for purpose to support ongoing work with global team
5. Strengthened the company’s presence in the region with cohesive, implementable workplans and workstreams
6. Advocacy for national embedding in at least two key countries yielding national-level in-kind and or budgetary support to local farmers accessing the Company.
Overall tasks and functions
This is a global project based in the designated region. The consultant will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Director of Implementation, and in collaboration with the global programme and country teams.
The consultant shall perform the following tasks:
• Based on the company's regional implementation strategy, work closely with implementation and strategic partners to ensure they are equipped to deliver high quality farmer capacity building programmes.
• Support and collaborate with the company's Standard and Assurance team on the execution of the Assurance Programme including:
• Training partners on the Assurance Programme and related data collection and following up on its submission according to Assurance Programme deadlines
• Planning and conducting field assessment visits throughout the season and following-up on improvement activities. Accountable for timely communication between implementation partner and Chain of Custody throughout the farming season
• Lead on the development and implementation of Country Plans for the region (Mozambique, South Africa, Madagascar, and eventual new countries) in collaboration with the Assurance Program Managers and Secretariat to enable delivery of the global strategy and goals
• Overseeing existing partnership agreements with implementation partners including monitoring of assigned budget and support on funding opportunities.
• Assist Implementation partners and regional stakeholders on external communications about the company
• Collaborate with the Demand and Fundraising team in creating marketing and funding opportunities for the company (e.g. local value addition projects within the region). Support regional fundraising activities both for Secretariat and regional office: provide recommendations of funders, support proposals developments
• Identify risks and opportunities related to the in-country programmes and ensure appropriate escalation to the Secretariat
• Participate in, and contribute to, the ongoing development of the Africa Strategy, and implementation, as part of the company's Africa Working Group.
The following methodology is proposed to ensure the success of the assignment:
• The consultant will have a joint briefing/inception meeting with Director of Implementation, and relevant company staff. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss and clarify expectations on the expected outcome and deliverables of the assignment.
• The consultant will prepare a work plan at the beginning of the assignment, with clear timelines and milestones.
• Literature review, field visits, and conversations with staff, Implementing Partners, and relevant members and stakeholders.
• The consultants will regularly, ideally bi-weekly, brief the project supervisor on the development of the project, including progress and challenges.
• At the end of the assignment, there will be a debriefing meeting with the project supervisor to discuss the outcome of the assignment and the way forward.
This position is based in a regional hub and the consultant will be expected to travel to country programs and company headquarters as needed.
The consultant will build regional operations from an existing small team of the existing regional coordinator for Southern Africa and Programme Officer and working closely with the strategic partners for the region.
Advanced University Degree (minimum Master’s Degree in sustainability, agriculture, international development or another related field).
• 10+ years of relevant experience in East and Southern Africa
• Experience in managing and developing teams
• Demonstrated experience in planning, design, preparation, and delivery of capacity building programmes
• Knowledge and/or experience with smallholder agriculture; knowledge of cash crop production or global commodity supply chains.
• Experience with voluntary sustainability standards a plus.
Skills and Attributes:
• Results oriented
• Effective communicator
• Excellent proven written and spoken English
• Swahili/Portuguese/other regionally relevant language skills desirable
• Strong oral and written communication English skills
• Must be able to travel at least one week per month equivalent. The length and locations will be determined based on available budget, identified priority areas, and capacity to support the visit by country teams.
Duration and remuneration
The duration of the assignment will be for 6-8 months
Are you interested in becoming a Regional Programme Start-up Consultant? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.