JOB SEARCH RESULT:
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC has a long-standing good bilateral cooperation with the Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS). In line with the SRCS Strategy Paper for Resilience, launched in 2012, GRC initiated a number of community resilience projects, in partnership with the Host National Society. At present, GRC supports the first phase of a resilience project in Somaliland, one drought response operation as well as emergency response projects tackling the COVID-19 outbreak and the Desert Locust Plague.
GRC is seeking an experienced Project Delegate (m/f/d) Resilience and Food Security to coordinate project activities in close cooperation with the SRCS in Somaliland in the fields of community resilience, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and food security with a strong organizational development component. The position will be based in Hargeisa with frequent visits to the field.
Duration: Starting December 2020 for two years
Key tasks and responsibilities:
Ensure the efficient and effective implementation of the on-going community resilience project including regular monitoring and the collection and analysis of data for indicator based reporting and project controlling and where possible identify new areas of engagement in resilience work;
Ensure accurate financial project management, including budgeting, monitoring and reporting of expenditures, budget revisions, cash forecasting and other financial processes according to GRC and donor requirements
Ensure quality and timely narrative and financial reporting in compliance with GRC and donor regulations
Support organizational development and capacity building of SRCS Somaliland in community resilience DRR and FSL and provide technical support to SRCS staff in the above mentioned fields
Provide necessary technical and project management guidance in regard to the development of the inception and implementation phase of the new Strengthening Community Resilience project
Establish good working relationships with SRCS project counterparts and ensure project team cohesiveness and a constructive and trustful working atmosphere
Implement efficient and effective visibility measures according to GRC and donor guidelines
Provide analysis of GRC’s cooperation with SRCS and advise the Regional Head of Office on possible adjustments, changes, or new opportunities for cooperation and support in office administration and coordination
Promote the integration of disaster risk reduction and cross cutting issues such as gender, volunteer management and beneficiary accountability into all projects
Promote understanding of the principles and ideals of the RC/RC Movement
Support the identification of new funding opportunities and facilitate and assist SRCS in proposal writing
Experience in the sectors of DRR, livelihood, food security, preferably in Eastern Africa/ Somalia
University degree in a relevant field
Strong project management skills with a minimum of five years of experience working in relief, rehabilitation & development in an international role
Significant experience in organizational development/capacity strengthening
Proven experience in developing and executing effective monitoring and evaluation
Experience with the RC/RC Movement is a strong asset
Experience to develop proposals and manage complex grants from institutional donors, including German Government and EU/ECHO is an asset
Diplomatic skills to coordinate and cooperate with a Host National Society, local organizations, local authorities and other stakeholders
Proactive personality with leadership skills and experience in managing, coaching and supporting staff
Skills in negotiation, advocacy and mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
Ability to work independently and as a team member
Ability and agreement to adhere to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement
Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments, and high intercultural sensitivity
Oral and written fluency in English, knowledge of German is of advantage
Readiness to go on assignment without partner and ability to live under strict security regulations
Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
Valid Driving License
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Categories: Social and Economic Policy, P-4
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, save lives...
UNICEF Somalia played a key role in making sure that child-focused data, with attention to gender and minorities, was included in the country’s first national development plan in 30 years. We have been tackling issues such as child mortality, better access to health services, severe malnutrition, and stronger child rights. We are working with partners to address the alarming food insecurity and malnutrition levels in Somalia. We are supporting community based reintegration programs for children released from armed groups, and are working on developing a social protection policy. We are also conducting robust HACT implementation.
Join our team and help us make sure every child has a champion.
How can you make a difference?
Under the general guidance and direction of the Chief of Social Policy, Equity and Gender this post is responsible for managing and supervising all aspects of UNICEF Somalia’s Social Protection engagement. This role includes a strong emphasis on programing and related advocacy from strategic planning and formulation to delivery of concrete and sustainable results. This includes programmes aimed at improving (a) public policies to reduce child poverty; (b) social protection coverage and impact on children; (c) the transparency, adequacy, equity and efficiency of child-focused public investments and financial management; (d) governance, decentralization and accountability measures to increase public participation and the quality, equity and coverage of social protection and social services; and (e) social protection policies and programmes to increase the social and economic inclusion of marginalized populations. This encompasses both direct programme work with government and civil society partners as well as linkages and support to teams working on resilience, gender, education, health, emergency, child protection, water and sanitation, and related areas.
Providing technical support for strategic planning and direction for social protection programming in Somalia
- Advises key national and state government officials, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners on policies, strategies, approaches and best practices on social protection, to support program development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Participates in country program planning, preparation and review to formulate, design, manage, and communicate social protection programmes, including setting priorities and results-based management goals.
- Leads technical engagement with partners in government and the development community on improving social protection response in protracted crises. This includes advocacy for flexible programming modalities and close cooperation with emergency/humanitarian teams for joint social protection-humanitarian response.
Strengthening social protection coverage and impact for children
- Supports the development of shock responsive social protection policies, legislation and programmes with attention to increasing coverage of and impact on children, with special attention the most marginalized. Identifies, generates and presents evidence to support this goal in collaboration with partners.
- Leads social protection coordination forums as a tool for advocacy and technical leadership on social protection in Somalia. These include, inter alia, the social protection sub-working group under the Resilience Pillar of the National Development Plan, and a UN-NGO working group focused on moving beyond cash-based programming in prolonged crises.
- Undertakes improved monitoring and research around shock responsive social protection’s potential impact on child outcomes, and use of data and research findings for strengthening programme results.
- Provides consistent and high-quality training and capacity building for government partners on social protection theory, systems, and programming.
Improving data on child poverty & vulnerability and increased use for policy and programme action
- Supports the collection, analysis and user-friendly presentation of data on multidimensional and monetary child poverty, including strengthening national capacity to collect routinely, report and use data for policy decision-making.
- Analyzes the macroeconomic context and its impact on social development, emerging issues and social policy concerns, as well as implications for children, and proposes and promotes appropriate responses in respect of such issues and concerns, including government resource allocation policies and the effect of social welfare policies on the rights of children.
- Supports the identification of policy options for improved domestic financing of child-sensitive social protection interventions.
Strengthened advocacy and partnerships for child-sensitive social policy
- Supports correct and compelling use of data and evidence on the situation of children and coverage and impact of child focused services – in support of the social policy programme and the country programme overall.
- Establishes effective partnerships with the Government, bilateral and multilateral donors, NGOs, civil society and local leaders, the private sector, and other UN agencies to support sustained and proactive commitment to the Convention of the Rights of the Child and to achieve global UN agendas such as the Sustainable Development Goals.
Fundraising and Advocacy
- Identifies critical partners, promotes awareness and builds capacity, and actively facilitates effective collaboration with government, other organizations, and within the UN family.
Build evidence and understanding on the role of shock responsive social protection in resilience building and disaster preparedness and response.
- Undertakes advocacy for the use of long-term predictable funding in Somalia for Social Protection. Builds support amongst both donors and government for social protection as an investment case.
UNICEF Programme Management
- Manages and coordinates technical support around child poverty, social protection, public finance and governance ensuring it is well planned, monitored, and implemented in a timely fashion so as to adequately support scale-up and delivery. Ensures risk analysis and risk mitigation are embedded into overall management of the support, in close consultation with UNICEF programme sections, Cooperating Partners, and governments.
- Supports and contributes to effective and efficient planning, management, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of the country programme. Ensures that the social planning project enhances policy dialogue, planning, supervision, technical advice, management, training, research and support; and that the monitoring and evaluation component strengthens monitoring and evaluation of the social sectors and provides support to sectoral and decentralized information systems.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: Advanced university degree in Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, or other relevant disciplines.
Experience: Minimum of eight years of relevant professional work experience is required. Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is required. Demonstrated experience leading social protection engagements with government in fragile or low-income states is required. A strong record of high-quality research and/or publications would be an advantage.
Language: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
Are you interested in becoming a Social Policy Specialist in Somalia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.
Mercy Corps has been implementing a 5 year USAID-funded program Somali Youth Leaders Initiative (SYLI)) aimed at providing fair and equitable secondary education services for at least 20,000 Somali youth through classroom construction and rehabilitation, teacher training, capacity building of education officials and improved community engagement in education management. SYLI currently support secondary education programs in the three zones- Somaliland, Puntland and South Central Somalia,
The program supports 50 secondary school communities with school infrastructure improvements, construction and rehabilitation of classrooms, latrines, water points, other essential school facilities and provide school furniture in Phase 2. In order to strengthen community participation and ownership, Mercy Corps in collaboration with MoE trains CECs of target schools in overall school management including the development, implementation and monitoring of schools programs and mobilization and management of resources for the schools. Furthermore, the program trains teachers to improve quality of teaching and learning in target schools. With regards to youth programming, the program promotes literacy, numeracy and life skills for youths who miss of formal education though Non- Formal Education (NFE). Additionally, the program support youth civic engagement activities intended to increase youth positive engagement and contribution to development of the society.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The M&E Advisor will provide technical support to the SYLI M&E and program team to improve program quality and timely monitoring and evaluation of program performance. The primary goal of this position would be to ensure SYLI improves on the quality of technical reports and sustained ability to effectively track indicators and monitor its program activities as well as developing the ability for dissemination and sharing of best practice and lessons learned to improve program data management and quality. S/he will further provide support to SYLI M&E team to track and report on key program indicators and build their capacity to effectively monitor and track progress, identify gaps and deliver quality reports as the programs approaches its close out.
The M&E Advisor will work closely with SYLI Program management, especially M&E team to develop and /or review existing monitoring tools, train program staff on the use of these tools and ensure frequent capturing of program data/information using the developed or revised tools. In coordination with program team, s/he will ensure timely submission of high quality reports- Weekly, Quarterly and Annually.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
In collaboration with the M&E Team and Program Managers, the M&E Advisor will;
Contribute to program design to ensure adherence to Mercy Corps’ standards, including the use of standardized indicators and documentation methodologies
Redesign, revise and/or improve on the various assessment tools, program monitoring tools and data collection tools and procedures to track performance indicators
Identify the gaps in the existing system and redesign/review tools for key outcome and impact indicators and targets for each program/project component and for each level of the objective hierarchy;
Track SYLI indicators and fill in the gaps in the current indicator tracking and reporting
Review, set up and maintain an M&E system for the program to determine a better outputs, outcome, impact and lessons learned;
Support the field team to conduct regular field monitoring visits to assess progress on the ground and promote compliance by project impact and deliverables;
Review the weekly SITREP and improve the reporting procedure to make it more effective in capturing timely and quality activity reports.
Improve the quality of consolidated SYLI technical reports in accordance with approved reporting formats. Ensure the report captures the key data of result areas.
Assist in writing, reviewing/editing the completeness and accuracy of narrative success and impact stories for donors and other stakeholders.
Assist in the recruitment of competent programs SYLI M&E staff and organize the team to perform M&E activities.
Address shortfalls in monitoring, evaluation and information management that affect the SYLI program implementation.
Work closely with the M&E team and other program specialists (Civic Engagement, Gender, Teacher Training and Communication) to ensure program achievement of key result areas are continuously captured and reports generated timely and properly disseminated internally and externally.
Coordinate with the M&E Specialist and team to promote organizational learning on M&E systems to improve program quality and sustainability;
Support the development of terms of reference and tools for surveys, research evaluations, and Special Studies in order to monitor programs results and strategic developments.
Build capacity of M&E team, program staff and local partners on M&E tools, data management, data analysis, basic surveying and sampling techniques, report writing techniques and requirements for Mercy Corps/USAID.
Provide Oversight and Management of Data and Information Systems
Design and/or review relevant program/ project databases and data management systems as per the requirements of the program management;
Support M&E and program team to provide accurate, timely and analytical data for donor technical reports (Quarterly and Annual).
Support the M&E team to accurately analyze data and make recommendations to improve program effectiveness and efficiency.
Internal and External Coordination
Strengthen linkages with other internal resources, including the Digital Library, Hub, and Clearspace, to enhance organizational learning where relevant to DM&E.
Coordinate with Mercy Corps’ HQ-based and regional Technical Support Unit (TSU) to guide process of ex-ante, ex-post and midterm evaluation, from the design, implementation and documentation phases.
Participate in M&E-related working groups and maintain close working relationships with DM&E counterparts in other relevant international NGOs, and local NGOs and associations in Somalia.
Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Chief of Party (COP) with direct linkage to Deputy Country Director (Programs)
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: COP, DCOP, Infrastructure Manager, Program Managers, Program Specialist and M&E Team
Required Qualification and Skills
The Advisor shall meet the following requirements:
Master’s degree or equivalent in social science, statistics, or data base management preferred;
5+ years field technical M&E experience in international relief and development in Africa;
Experience in setting up and managing M&E systems and designing or evaluating multiple sectors including education programs, youth civic engagement, and peace building etc.;
Demonstrated ability to write donor quality technical reports.
Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses, with experience in Somalia strongly preferred;
Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and MS Office applications;
Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
Knowledge of Mercy Corps, USAID systems and procedures /desirable an added advantage.
The successful candidate will have an ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a technical advisory and training capacity and will also have an ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful information. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is essential, as is an impeccable, professional standard of M&E and reporting and a willingness and ability to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures. The M&E Manager must be willing to travel regularly to the program sites.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The M&E Manager will be based in Mogadishu, with travel to Somaliland, Puntland, Galmudug and Nairobi on a 70/30 basis and support SYLI programs activities throughout the country. This is an unaccompanied post in a highly insecure environment. This position is eligible for Mercy Corps Somalia Hardship and R&R benefit.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Generator maintenance and servicing specialist contract position in Somalia. Candidates require a Degree in Engineering or relevant industry certification.
Salary: 2,5k USD pm + bonus + Benefits (Tax Free)
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or relevant industry certification
Assignment: 1 year contract (Renewable)
● Comply with company policies and procedures and adheres to company standards
● Develop cost estimates for routine and non-routine work
● Provide technical support to the employees under supervision and manage resolution of complex problems
● Take corrective action to bring about required change and ensure contract requirements have been executed at a level above the specified standards
● Ensure processes and procedures are properly followed by employees under supervision and supervise day-to-day and long-range activities of Generator Technicians
● Develop process performance metrics, tracking, analysing and reporting performance in terms of quality, safety, cost and business satisfaction
● Resolves conflict and provide open communication to relevant parties
● Set up / break down generators on site and repair generators by using tools and equipment
● Restore residual voltage to generator exciter field
● Document management
● Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or relevant industry certification
● 5 years’ experience as a Generator Technician and 2 years’ supervisory experience in a similar role
● Must have experience with generator operation and maintenance and be familiar with the current methods and techniques of repair and maintenance of generators
● Experienced with diesel generators, diesel engines and electrical systems and knowledge of diesel fuel requirements
● Able to read and understand electrical schematics, diagrams, manuals and meters
● Computer literate
● Must be fluent in English (speak, read and write)
● Must be physically fit
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants who do NOT meet the requirements of a specific position applied for, cannot be assured of a personal response, but we will keep your CV on file for future reference.
Provide project support ensuring site requirements are maintained, responsible for managing the design function and co-ordinating between the relevant parties ensuring that work is completed in a timely manner.
● Monitor resources by creating baseline resource curves, recording actual against planned, creating records of actual progress and liaise with the Construction Managers regarding requirements
● Monitor and update on the project progress through site progress recording, recording and reporting against targets, interpretation of data, advising on problem areas and predicting project completion dates
● Prepare and establish working programme requirements in consultation with site supervision
● Prepare programmes by setting up the project calendar, activities and coding with Construction Managers and setting up resource requirements
● Sequence and link the required programme activities and establish the critical path through the programme
● Prepare the information schedule and the subcontract appointment schedule with the Construction Manager
● Examine and report on subcontract programmes, ensure site requirements are met and report on the progress to the Manager
Record delay items and link to the relevant programme activities, establish effect of delay items on programme and provide suggestion regarding recovery methods
● Ensure compliance with the site HSE plan
● Document storage and submission management
● Co-ordinate between the relevant project parties (Clients, Design Team and Construction Managers)
● Design Engineering responsibilities include overseeing tasks within the design team, understanding contract conditions, ensuring work is delegated and carried out correctly, overseeing the receipt of IFC drawings and sketches, reviewing RFI responses, receiving and acting on design changes, authorising materials submittals and methods of work, completing the submittal planning and reviewing design calculations
● Degree in Engineering or Building (or equivalent)
● 5-6 years’ experience as a Planning Engineering involved in construction design
● Must have a Civil Engineering background
● Must have knowledge of key design software (Etab, Prokon, Staad), AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat and advanced knowledge of MS Office
● Training and previous experience required in project controls and planning using Primavera P3, P5 or P6 and MS Excel
● Familiar with the BOQ (bill of quantities) for the contract
● Must have a valid passport and able to communicate fluently in English
● Excellent overall communication skills and able to work well in a team environment
Salary: 4k-6k USD pm + Bonus + Benefits (Tax Free)
Qualifications: Degree in Engineering or Building (or equivalent)
Contract Type: 1 year contract (Renewable)