JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Mott MacDonald is currently positioning itself for the European Union funded programme: TA to enhance the Government of Rwanda's capacities in the agriculture sector for the sustainable use of land and water resources, value creation and nutrition security.
For this purpose we are looking for suitably qualified experts for the position of Team Leader on a long-term basis with duty station in Kigali.
About the programme
The general objective of the project is to support the Rwandan government in implementing the agriculture sector strategy, and in particular its contribution to the national development targets by enhancing food and nutrition security, the sustainable and efficient use of land and water resources, the development of agricultural high-value chains and the strengthening of Public Financial Management (PFM) capacities in the agriculture sector.
The programme will cover the following areas of specialisation:
- Strategic planning, investment appraisal, budgeting and monitoring of agriculture sector activities;
- Strengthening of institutional and organizational capacities in the agriculture sector
- ICT-based agriculture extension and knowledge systems
- Agriculture land use planning and agriculture land use information systems
- Livestock, Nutrition-sensitive food and agriculture household production systems
- Soil and water conservation, Agroforestry
- Engagement of youth and women in agricultural value chain development
- Increased smallholder access to agriculture finance
- Masters’ degree (or equivalent) in Agriculture or Agriculture Sciences like Agricultural Economics, Agriculture & Development, Agriculture and Food Systems, Agriculture Finance, Agriculture Production/Value Chain Management, Horticulture, Agro-forestry, Farming Systems, etc.
General professional experience
- At least 15 years working experience as an adviser in reform programmes at national levels in agriculture or related sub sectors;
- At least 10 years proven experience as a Team Leader managing advisory teams at national level;
- Demonstrated experience in policy development and review in Agriculture or related sub-sectors;
- Experience in working as an embedded advisor;
- At least 10 years of working experience in Africa Sub-Sahara;
- Knowledge of and experience with EuropeAid procedures and regulations;
- Previous experience as Team Leader on EC/ EU funded projects.
- Previous working experience in Eastern Africa, preferably Rwanda
- Previous work experience as imbedded advisor to government Ministries is considered an added advantage;
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills;
- Excellent client management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written English is essential
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation Manager will be the lead on Monitoring & Evaluation planning and activity implementation for Heifer International Rwanda Country programs. S/he will be responsible for building practices for in-country and across-countries knowledge management through full utilization of Heifer’s global systems, collection and documentation of quality data, dissemination of lessons learned, producing best practices, and guiding the overall monitoring, learning, and evaluation strategy of the country program as delineated in the Country Program’s framework. This includes setting up the Monitoring, Learning & Evaluation system for the country program and projects that is aligned with Heifer’s global monitoring, learning and evaluation framework and ensuring appropriate capacity within the Country Program. The Monitoring, Learning, and Evaluation Manger is also responsible for developing staff’s capacity to implement good quality MLE processes to provide a basis for decision making and promote accountability for resource use in the Country Program Office.
The PM&E Manager also represents the Heifer's country-level management, program knowledge and perspective in the development of strategies within Heifer at large and the development and private sector.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Enthusiasm, Orderliness, Compliance, Creativity, Determination, Diligence, Self-starter, critical thinker, curious
RESPONSIBILITIES And DELIVERABLES
(including approximate percentage effort)
Monitoring and Evaluation (50%)
1. Provide technical guidance and support in the implementation of the overall monitoring, learning, and evaluation framework in line with the CP’s 10-year Program Framework and Heifer International’s global goal and monitoring, learning and evaluation requirements
- Collaborate with Mission Effectiveness and global MLE network in the adoption and adaptation of technical MLE standards
- Defining the Rwanda living wage target for every region Heifer Rwanda implements its projects by end of November 2016, and thereafter tracking the progress of its achievement annually.
- Deploy and optimize use at country level of Heifer International’s system of record for project and program results
- Supervise quality data collection and management in accordance to latest industry standards as adopted by Heifer International’s Mission Effectiveness team.
- Establishment of quality assurance procedures for data prior to its use
- Plan and coordinate Country Program Framework reviews, Project Self Reviews and Planning (PSRP) sessions, midterm and final or end of project evaluations.
- Design and implement a system to identify, analyze, document and disseminate lessons learned for program and project results
- Develop and set-up of all live projects in Kimetrica system and for all new project established
- Developing and maintaining a database for the project beneficiaries in all the key project both internally and in Kimetrica platform on a continuous routine
- Analyze and discuss emerging issues from progress and evaluation reports and coordinate the development, and monitor and follow up of, action plans for the recommendations to the relevant Program Management and Partners for timely corrective measures
- Ensure clear definition of objectives and their results; adequate provision of technical advice for the revision of key indicators. realistic intermediate and end-of-project targets are defined, focused baseline studies are conducted at project start, and clear identification of sources of data and collection methods.
- Conduct research to assist project design with relevant secondary information.
- Design project MLE frameworks and log frames
- Provides solutions for more complex data management requirements by leading to development of digital MIS databases, mobile SMS technology (uNotify etc.).
- Coordinate with Director of Programs to ensure effective project start up, management and closure
- Document, package and disseminate lessons learned
Capacity Building (30%)
1. Lead and collaborate in the development of people and management strategies to strengthen MLE effectiveness across the country program and Africa area to meet the requirements of an increasingly competitive environment
- Supervision of communication officer, providing mentoring and coaching on approaches and technical methodologies
- Participate in exchanges visits with other country programs and other regional assignments to contribute to the MLE activities of Heifer’s program and external networks
- Promote a results based approach to Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation emphasizing on data quality, results, and impacts
- Contribute in the recruitment, training and supervision of external parties that are contracted to implement special surveys and studies required for evaluating project effects and impacts
- Build staff and partners’ capacities on MLE through facilitation of trainings, collaboration, and development of MLE tools
- Foster quality participatory monitoring by training and involving primary stakeholder groups in the M&E of activities
- Continuously build self and professional development knowledge, skills and competencies
Program Management and Representation (15%)
1. Ensure availability of quality project and program data, information, analysis and insights for country staff, management, resource mobilization staff, marketing team and external donors
- Financial analysis of the country program and project’s work is fully integrated into assessment of results and insights
- Routine practices and protocols enable timely, relevant and accurate reporting
- Timely submit all statutory reports and action plans to the Directorate of Immigration and Emigration to ensure timely renewal of annual registration
- Visually appealing formats/info-graphics for reporting across all stakeholders
- Present country program achievements and lessons learned to internal and external audience
May perform other job-related duties as assigned/ requested (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in the fields of Development studies, Social Science, Economics or related to rural sociology, sustainable human and community development or other related field with 5 years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and working with international donors and grantees on MLE systems.
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field based programs.
- Experience in managing databases and coordinating evaluations, surveys and impact monitoring at a senior level.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Experience with the NGO/Private Voluntary Organization approach, and knowledge of global sustainable development
- Demonstrated ability to implement a logical framework approach or other strategic planning approaches.
- Demonstrated ability of facilitating learning-oriented analysis sessions of M&E data with multiple stakeholders, information analysis and report writing.
- Knowledgeable of current and emerging ideas, research and developments in the field of international development and a commitment to continuous learning and development.
- Confident in and experienced with the use of technology in development
- Demonstrated technical expertise in designing M&E plans
- Proven experience with data collection methods, standard sampling techniques, use of statistical applications
- Experience in evaluations
- Analysis and presentation of both qualitative and quantitative data
- Experience in participatory methodologies (e.g. PRA) that will be applied in Heifer’s context.
- Experience in development-oriented value chain analysis
- Experience in assessing and managing lean experimental data
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, oral and written, with knowledge of Kinyarwanda. Knowledge of French would be an added value.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Excellent time management skills, high self- motivation and ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks, demands and deadlines with a positive and constructive attitude.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Rwanda.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.