JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Our client is one of the largest off-grid solar company in this part of Africa. They aim to reach half a million households across the region in two years time. The company sells solar home lighting systems on a “pay-per-use” basis, making cleaner energy much more affordable, especially to users with low income.
For their head office in Accra they are looking for a Head of Finance.
1. To ensure that the company is properly capitalized to finance its aggressive growth plans; responsible for developing a deep understanding of the economics of the company’s pay-as-you-go solar plan, how differing growth plans require different amounts and types of capital, and making sure that capital is efficiently used.
2. Support the CEO in developing investment documents that facilitate raising investment (both debt and equity), as well as being responsible for ensuring that board documents, investment materials and investment/grant reports are prepared on time and accurately.
3. To provide timely and relevant information to the executive team, to assist with major strategic decisions; responsible for annual budgeting process, and for helping shape where the business is going in the next 5 years. This should provide management with top-notch data for informing strategic decisions, in which the Head of Finance will participate.
4. To oversee the expansion of the companies accounting and finance functions into multiple countries. The company already has a great Financial Controller and 5 FTE handling treasury, statutory and management accounting, financial controls, and internal and external. Head of Finance will ensure they continue to provide high quality work in line with the company’s strategic vision.
5. To ensure that the copmany has the optimal legal structure for our business lines; review the current structure for its tax and cost efficiency, design and lead the implementation of any changes to the company structure if appropriate, and advise on optimal structures for new subsidiaries in new countries.
6. To lead the company in continuing to attract top-class talent.
7. Prepare the copmany for a potential exit, which will occur sometime between 2018-2020.
8. The Head of Finance will play a key role in shaping the overall strategy of the business working closely with company founders and the executive team. Reporting to the CEO, he/she will need to establish strong working practices with other departments.
1. Education: Minimum requirement is a degree in finance or accounting, or similar. A post-graduate degree is business (MBA), economics, or finance is a plus. CPA or equivalent is a plus.
2. Experience: At least 3 years experience leading the finance function of a multi million revenue company – preferably a business with a strong financing or credit component operating in West Africa or other emerging markets. Ideally experienced at dealing with subsidiaries in multiple countries. Experience as an investor for, or receiving investment from, private equity or venture capital is a important and a huge plus. Experience growing with a company from its early stages to tens of millions in revenue is a plus.
3. Knowledge / Skills: Strong communicator; hands-on team leadership; ability to get into detail when required as well as strategize. Ability to flexibly work with other teams, and develop a good understanding of the competencies and challenges of other teams within the company. Ability to take charge of situations and work quickly and constructively on resolving problems. Written and verbal fluency in English is essential; fluency in French is a big plus.
4. We will strongly prioritise people with experience living in Africa, but will certainly look at exceptional candidates who have not.
USD 40.000 - 70.000 Gross Lumb Sum depending on experience
Outputs and Accountabilities
The role of the Internal Auditor is to provide strong support to the Senior Internal Auditor in carrying out the role of leading, directing, and co-ordinating the performance of audits.
The Internal Auditor will have responsibility in the following areas:
Manage & execute audits per approved annual IA plan:
• Prepare scoping letters for specific audit assignments and follow through with such audits based on the internal audit plan for the year and report findings for review.
• Assist in organizing and maintaining good audit working papers
• Provide periodic reports on the progress of ongoing audit projects to the Senior Internal Auditor
• Coach and mentor junior internal auditors in executing all audit projects.
• At all times comply with GIA Methodology in executing all audit projects.
Report & conduct follow up activities:
• Work together with the Senior Internal Auditor on designated assignments to meet the reporting requirements of both the local & group offices.
Conduct fraud investigations:
• At all times respond efficiently to management requests as may be within the GIA (Global Internal Audit) standards.
• Perform other duties as may be required by the Senior Internal Auditor depending upon the exigencies of the time.
• Observing and reporting on monthly physical stocktaking as well as conducting random stock count
• Conduct and report on quarterly surprise cash counts
A degree in Accounting
At least 12 – 24 months audit experience (preferably from an accounting or audit firm)
Partly qualified ACCA, CPA, CIA, CISA
Familiar with information systems in general and application controls
Familiar with local corporate governance codes
Key Characteristics Required
Dynamic proactive individual
Good interpersonal skills
Good communication skills - both oral and written
Ability to handle conflict effectively
Exercise professional judgement objectively and independently
Creative and innovative
Ability to manage change and act as a change agent
Self-motivated, enthusiastic and is a self-starter
Ethical and honest
Ability to lead and work in a team
Good written and spoken Portuguese. English is an added advantage.
Attention to detail and quality outputs
Ability to withstand pressure of large workload within tight deadlines
Kauli is a people and product centred business, based on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Moshi, Tanzania, that designs, manufactures and distributes unique and high quality accessory products using materials sourced from within the African continent. We are equally committed to the professional success and personal satisfaction of our staff and to the practice of fabricating products that creatively celebrate the character of the continent. The company was founded in 2013 and formalized in 2014 - a two-year period wherein product development (design, procurement and production) was the primary focus of Kauli operations. The positive reception to our aesthetic and increasing popularity of our product selection has opened new growth opportunities. We are now seeking to appoint a Managing Director to direct and control the holistic operations of the company (with certain exceptions, reserved for the Creative Director of Kauli) and to give strategic guidance to the Board of Kauli and likewise effectively execute any decisions made by the Board. Kauli remains a small organization, and the Managing Director is expected to be both hands-on and strategic at the same time. For the right person, this might be a fantastic experience to shape a promising brand in the emerging ethical African fashion industry.
- To direct and manage the executive, operational and financial work and the resources of Kauli in order to ensure that the company achieves its mission and objectives as determined by the Board of Kauli.
- To prepare an annual business plan to present to the Board of Kauli for approval and to monitor progress against these plans in order to ensure that Kauli attains its objectives economically, efficiently and ethically.
- To provide strategic guidance to the Chairperson and the members of the Board of Kauli, to keep them aware of developments within the industry and to ensure that the appropriate policies are developed to meet the company’s mission and objectives and to comply with all relevant statutory and other regulations.
- To establish and maintain effective formal and informal links with major customers, relevant government departments and agencies, local authorities, key decision-makers and other stakeholders generally, to exchange information and views and to ensure that the company is providing the appropriate range and quality of services.
- To develop and maintain research and development programs in coordination with the Creative Director (as a method of securing the Kauli aesthetic) in order to ensure that the company remains at the forefront in the industry, applies the most cost-effective methods and approaches, provides leading-edge products and services, retains its competitive edge and remains committed to its social purpose of supporting the staff of the company.
Desired skills and experience
· At least three years of experience in general or commercial management, preferably in a related industry (i.e., fashion, design, procurement, production, marketing and/or sales)
- Graduate level of education, preferably with a higher degree in a management discipline or a commensurate professional qualification.
- A wide knowledge of the fashion industry and preferably African art forms and social business structures.
- An understanding of financial management and wider management principles and techniques.
- A very high level of commercial awareness.
- Excellent leadership, communication, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- An adaptive personality that can work collaboratively with the Board of Kauli, the Creative Director and any other public or private institutions involved with the business of Kauli.
- Excellent English reading and writing proficiency and knowledge of or willingness to learn the Swahili language.
- Advanced ability to use Microsoft Excel and preferably experience using software within the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with international trade logistics (e.g., the African Growth & Opportunities Act from the USA)
Salary & Benefits
The gross annual salary for this position ranges from TZS 40,000,000 - 50,000,000, depending on the qualifications of the selected applicant. ?e position includes the cost of work permits, top-tier East African health insurance coverage through AAR Insurance, an annual “return home” flight voucher and 25 days paid leave.