JOB SEARCH RESULT:
The Managing Director, is a first member of the team for the port project, and serves as a strategic partner and advisor to the client’s management team and Director – Global Investments. As the Managing Director, the candidate will set-up and provide leadership and direction to the (project) team responsible for delivering the services under the Concession Agreement, and manage the day-to-day affairs of the company including but not limited to construction, financial, operational, administrative, community relations, and customer creation and service. The Managing Director will be the primary contact point between all port-related government bodies.
The right candidate is an engaging and focused leader who leverages best practice management skills to maximize team performance. As an individual the Managing Director is highly adaptive and excels in a dynamic environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directing functions & performance
• Sets up & Leads the local team in management of day-to-day affairs of the company.
• Ensures that all managers are up to date with the concession related terms.
• Oversees annual budget requirements, approving budget guidelines, with end accountability for the achievement of both budget and financial goals of the organization in accordance with the business plan and updated financial model.
2. Contract Management
• Ensures that all company activities are carried out in commercial, technical, operational compliance with the concession agreement, projects agreements, financing agreements, service agreements and agreed business plan.
• Interfaces with all major contractors and vendors to achieve the agreed performance output as contracted.
• Ensures all contractual obligations of the company are fully met.
• Secures appropriate long-term service contracts.
• Seeks opportunities to enhance the popularity of the port and increase the project’s revenue potential.
3. Communication & Liaison
• Builds and actively manages relationships with all stakeholders.
• Represents the organization with the shareholders, the financial community and the public including the media.
4. Developing the business strategy
• Provides the vision, leadership and direction for the company. Establishes short and long-term goals, objectives, plans and policies, subject to approval by the client’s management.
• Develops the commercial strategy for approval by the client’s management.
• Develops and manages the business plan and annual operating plan.
5. Recruitment and Development
• Recruits / manages the local Senior Management team, and provides mentoring/guidance to senior managers.
• Implements a relevant performance management system.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• At least fifteen (15+) plus years of working as an MD or CEO with experience in successfully managing concessions agreements and port/ off-shore construction projects, in Ghana or West Africa.
• Extensive managerial and leadership knowledge, applying best practices to all sections of the business.
• Successful Track record of stakeholder management and dealing with senior authorities, bureaucrats and ministry level individuals.
• Excellent contacts with public authorities in Ghana.
• Must be able to demonstrate strong leadership and exceptional skills in building interpersonal relationships, including a high degree of tact, diplomacy and ability to influence.
• In-depth understanding of financial concepts, financial models and hands-on with the financial implications of the project implementation processes.
• Excellent business acumen, including project management skills.
• Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• A collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
• Advanced verbal and written communications skills in English in addition to effective interpersonal skills.
All applicants are required to submit to a complete background check and medical examination as a condition of employment. Only candidates that have successfully passed both checks will be eligible for employment.
If you’re interested in the position of Managing Director apply through this link.
If you’d like to know more about the position before applying, please contact Minoek Wijs (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Hedwig Rovers (email@example.com)
Our client is a leader in the global container shipping and logistics industry and we are looking for a Senior Manager Sales in South Africa for them.
Overall Responsibility :
• Develop a growth strategy for Africa for the company working closely with senior management.
• Deliver on Key utilization
• Gaining knowledge of the specifics of the market in Africa
• Building and managing a team that reaches the sales goals set by the company
Job Specification - Key Accountabilities:
Ownership of seventy percent of West African ship utilization
In charge of mapping complete Free On Board segment for all key African countries
Building a strong support network in regional offices around the world for promotion for outbound and inbound cargo in Africa.
Improve together with the team the cargo mix for inbound cargo by country
Responsible for preperation, execution and maintenance of African Free On Board tender list
Willing to work after hours and do business trips on short notice.
Critical Qualifications / Skills / Experience
▪ Preferably a degree in Business, Sales , Marketing or equivalent
▪ Comprehensive experience in logistics, trade manegement and / or liner shipping
▪ Knowledgable about the processes and workflow in the shipping industry
▪ Knowledge of African Market. Having lived in Africa is an added advantage
▪ Excellent command of spoken and written English. Ability to speak and write in French and Portuguese will be an advantage.
▪ Good knowledge of user applications systems (FIS, CRM, Web Focus/Hyperion) will also be an advantage. Otherwise the candidate will have to be keen to learn fast.
▪ Analytical with ability to identify market opportunities,
▪ Solid problem-solving and organizational skills
▪ Customer-oriented with positive attitude
▪ Can demonstrate leadership skills to lead and motivate a team
▪ Ability to work under pressure and meet targets
▪ Willing to work very hard to achieve results and targets.
▪ Results-oriented, goal-driven
▪ Assertive negotiator
▪ Team player with a proactive attitude
▪ Result driven and persuasiveness
▪ Ability to communicate and collaborate
▪ Ability to work under pressure
Entrepreneurial and conceptional thinking and action:
▪ Acknowledge Signals
▪ Multi-dimensional thinking
▪ Courage to make decisions and accepting responsibility
▪ Lateral thinker
▪ Multi skilling and quick decision maker
Positive image to colleagues and customers:
▪ Capacity to support and inspire
▪ Open and honest attitude
▪ Hard working
▪ Lead by example
Are you interested in becoming a Senior Manager Sales in South Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
The Project Director, is a first member of the project implementation team for the port project and serves as a strategic partner and advisor to the client’s management and Director – Global Investments, and shall be responsible for the successful delivery of the project concession, the transaction and partnership structure, the relevant approval processes and then the successful implementation of the project after taking handover of the concession area including but not limited to construction, financial, operational, administrative and customer creation and service.
The Project Director position will liaise with the Director – Global Investments on matters pertaining to stakeholder management with respect to the concession negotiations, signing and approval processes, partnership structures, concession area handover, construction tender and management, community relations, and political sensitivities that may or will impact the successful delivery of the project concession and its post-handover implementation. Based on the candidate, his experience and his delivery during the early phase of the project implementation process, the position has an opportunity to morph into one of the top roles at the operating organization including possibly CEO, CFO, COO or similar.
A high-caliber Head of Project Delivery with substantial prior accomplishments in successfully leading concession negotiations and securing, approval processes and initiatives leading to the successful achievement of a valid concession agreement leading on to concession area handover, construction implementation and the ultimate operationalization of the project.
An engaging and focused leader who leverages best practice management skills to maximize team performance.
An individual that is highly adaptive and can excel in a dynamic environment.
Exercises a credible and value-creating style of business partnering.
Driven, grounded and progressive person who is robust and hands-on.
Commercial acumen coupled with analytical and strategic thinking capacity.
Understanding of financial concepts, financial models and hands-on with the financial implications of the project implementation processes.
Stakeholder management experience and dealing with senior authorities, bureaucrats and ministry level individuals.
Experience with offshore services port industry (or in other words, oil and gas port services industry) is an advantage.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND BEHAVIORS
Minimum of fifteen plus (15+) years of relevant and applicable professional experience.
Extensive experience working as a Project Implementation and/or Business Development Manager and successfully managing high-value projects with “Marine Construction”.
Experience with managing FIDIC contracts.
Good understanding of business operations (business acumen) including project management
Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers.
Well-developed written and verbal communication skills, public speaking, presentations and managing through influence. Must have exceptional skills in building interpersonal relationships, including high degree of tact, diplomacy and ability to influence.
Strong bias for action and ability to energize others to work toward the achievement of
organizational goals and objectives.
Strong relationship management skills including negotiations and conflict resolution capabilities
Ability to quickly establish credibility and rapport with key stakeholders and colleagues.
Ability to identify potential risks and corrective actions. Sound analytical and reasoning skills – focus on “root cause” identification and remediation and/or mitigation.
Significant experience writing effective reports which clearly and concisely describe risk assessment; reports are easily accessible to the technical and non-technical professional.
Fluency in English Language (written & spoken) is essential.
All applicants are required to submit to a complete background check and medical examination as a condition of employment. Only candidates that have successfully passed both checks will be eligible for employment.
If you’re interested in the position of Project Director apply through the apply button. If you’d like to know more about the position before applying, please contact Minoek Wijs (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Hedwig Rovers (email@example.com)
Our client wishes to expand its business offering and sales compliment with a view to acquiring more business in the new builds and repairs business.
POSITION IN THE ORGANISATION
Reports to: Managing Director
To play an integral role in success of the Organisation by bringing in new business to the Organisation and the effective on boarding of new clients. To develop the local sales, finding, growing and developing existing clients with the aim of developing new business.
- New clients
- To research and obtain new clients in the maritime industry across a broad spectrum;
- To develop a trust relationship with this portfolio so that they come to us as a supplier first;
- Understand what the key requirements are of the customer;
- Work with the other staff regarding new tenders for new clients and the business proposals;
- Represent the Company in terms of business with the clients and any social functions;
- Obtain new clients in the maritime industry who could be potential purchasers of vessels;
- Develop the relationship so that the client wants to work with and use our organisation as the supplier;
- Close deals with new clients for new and repair business.
- Existing clients
- Continue the relationships and continue to build relationships with the clients on all levels;
- Research their needs on an ongoing basis;
- Decide whether the requirement is for new builds or repair Work;
- Work with the Management at the yard to ensure tenders are done in time or quotations delivered in time.
- Have a portfolio of strong accounts.
- Tenders and quotations
- Assist with the drawing up of tenders and quotations for new and repair work;
- Do accurate costing and estimates using approved BBBEE suppliers;
- Develop tenders that are successful and positive in that the Company wins them.
Developing contacts and creating awareness
- Using existing client knowledge and developing new client connections to develop the sales channels further;
- Developing all client contacts to further the name of the organisation as a preferred supplier;
- Maintaining the existing contacts within the Governmental customers to ensure the ongoing communication
- Represent the Company at all levels, engendering trust and confidence with clients.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Up to date information and ability to act on all levels when discussing new build and repair work;
Reports and administration
- Keeps management informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly and annual territory analyses;
- Provides historical records by maintaining records on area and customer sales.
- Weekly / monthly reporting on activities and possible sales and progression of sales.
Other duties and responsibilities express and implied which arise from the nature and character of the post within the organisation.
Carry out any reasonable duties consistent with the post as directed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma or degree in commerce / law.
- Background of the SAN, Armscor, TNPA, or having working experience in those types of businesses’.
Are you interested in becoming a Key Accounts Manager in South Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is a European company that has years of experience in the maritime industry with, amongst others, the following fields of work: Building of Offshore support ships, offshore accommodations, tugs and work boats, inland vessels and dredgers.
For their shipyard in West Africa they are looking for a shipyard manager.
Main responsibilities will be:
• Technical skills, calculations, drawings
• Quality assurance
• Business development, helped by HQ
• People management (team of 65)
• Admin, planning, acquisition, work preparation
The right candidate should have experience in the steel fabricating industry, preferably a shipyard. Should be somebody hands-on that can work on hulls, body and engines and even more so, train the team. Africa experience (or other developing countries) a must.
Interested in this role? Please apply through the button ‘Apply’.
Our client is looking for a General Agency Manager for their container division / department in Sierra Leone.
Purpose / overview:
- To lead and manage the overall daily operation of the company
- Ensure smoothly information flow through the various departments
- To drive the company forward in all aspects, this incl. business as well as staff
- To protect and enhance the reputation and standing of the company in all respects
- Reports directly to the Managing Director and head office
- Oversees procedures and deadlines are met in alliance with the Head Office’s guidelines
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Operations – Supervise the operation team. Ensure fast and efficient operation and turnaround of vessels. Maintain professional and fruitful relationship with both Freetown Terminal as well as the Sierra Leone Port Autohorities.
- Logistics – Organize all logistics aspect with the Logistics Manager. Safeguard all claims, user account control, container control as well as logistics reports are done as per guidelines.
- Sales – Organize and motivate both the import as well as export sales team. Provide sales tool, both to maintain existing clients, but also to gain new client. Manage and maintain key accounts with local sales team
- Documentation – Supervise both import and export documentation department, to ensure local as well as the Company’s directions are followed.
- Customer Service – Ensure the team keeps providing professional customer service in a highly competitive market
- IT – IT officer will take care of the daily running. The General Agency Manager is in control of any new implementations the Head Office requires.
- HR – Overall leadership of 20 staff including recruitment, training/development, performance management and discipline and grievance
- PR – Liaises with media, advertisers and other suppliers/contacts in relation to brand, advertising and publicity. All PR is done with support from the Managing Director.
- Finance – Oversees the Finance Manager and his/her team but holds ultimate responsibility and signature authority for all financial transactions on behalf of the company. Approves monthly staff salaries and authorizes all expenses. Approves and ensures deadlines for financial reports (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly) are met in alliance with local procedure as well as Head Office’s instructions.
- Legal and Administration – Manages staff to ensure the office is efficiently and compliantly run at all times. Holds all local legal responsibilities (JV, staff, building contracts, insurance) and oversees all supplier relationships and contracts.
• Proven working experience as an Agency Manager in the container branch
• 5-7 years of experience in West Africa
• Demonstrable ability to lead and manage staff
• Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects
• Fluency in English
• Operational mindset taking precaution for the challenges in the country
• Ability to think out of the box to create and sell solutions
• Be a business developer with focus on expanding the business and improve internal agent network
• Should be outgoing, have a good sense of humor, responsible and self-driven, conscientious, focused, result-oriented, purposeful and most important; know how to be a good team player and manager/leader for his team
• Being part of a young and dynamic team
• Being part of successful company with a high track record in West and Central Africa
• Exciting challenges every day!
Start date is a.s.a.p., but no later than Dec 1st 2017.
Single status only
Our client is looking for expats to fill the position as Financial Controllers in Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinee.
They are looking for a strong financial candidate with an accounting / controlling background that is ready for a second or third step in his or her career.
• Responsible for the day to day accounting
• Maintains a financial structure for its own country
• Controls all financial planning and reporting
• Takes care of up-to-date financial information
• Reports to and works closely together with CFO in Europe
• Manages a small local team at the office
• Handles miscellaneous matters as required
• Great potential, great team, fantastic experience and career move, a lot of independency required
The candidate must be:
Creative, practical, flexible, adventurous, able to work with little or no supervision, a self-starter, entrepreneurial
• Bachelor with a professional financial qualification (i.e. ACCA, etc.) or master in finance or economic field is a must
• At least 3 years’ experience in finance, preferably in logistics, mining, oil and gas
• Excellent financial reporting skills
• Good organizer and communicator
• Fluent in English
• Previous experience in a developing country is an advantage
What they offer:
• Great team and career opportunity
• Accommodation, flights, transport, international insurance
• Competitive salary
Start date asap, note this is a single status position
Are you interested in becoming a Financial Controller in West Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Do you have solid international experience, and would you like the full expat package?
This is a great way to build your international career within operations management. You get to develop and explore your personal and professional abilities as you manage a team of people from different countries in a growing international company where new career opportunities arise continuously. Doing so, you collaborate closely with our senior management, while you have numerous employees to support you on the daily operation.
Drive our daily operations and local relations
As agency manager, you manage a young team of manual workers with little or no formal education located at the local ports as well as maintain relations with our customers. Doing so, you truly get to apply your leadership skills as you motivate and explain the daily tasks to your team. Your responsibilities include:
• Providing operational feedback and reporting to clients while ensuring that all deadlines are met.
• Developing solutions for existing and new clients in collaboration with the rest of the Group, contractors, counterparts and chartering desk.
• Briefing your team daily on tasks and challenges as you prioritise tasks while guiding and motivating the team.
• Interaction with authorities and clients on management level when required.
You get direct access to our senior management as you discuss the daily tasks with our CEO, CFO and regional manager. To assist you in your day-to-day work, your team coordinates the activities with our collaborators, approves documents and updates customers.
Solid operation and management experience
• You have solid experience as an operations or agency manager.
• You have 5+ years of experience working in West- and/or Central Africa.
• You have demonstrated an ability to lead and manage staff.
• You are fluent in English / French.
• It is an advantage if you have experience within mining and project cargo.
Personally, you thrive when engaging with people of different cultures. Also, you are creative allowing you to come up with new solutions that make us stand out from our competitors. Most importantly, you know how to be a good team player and manager/leader for your team because interpersonal relations are your forte.
Are you interested in becoming a Maritime Agency Manager in Sierra Leone or Liberia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.