JOB SEARCH RESULT:
The Managing Director (MD) is the primary leader in this location.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Demonstrating on a daily basis ‘what good looks like’.
• He/she will be the chief local custodian of the company culture and the company's Way of Working.
• Managing and owning the P&L, the MD is expected to openly embrace challenges with a problemsolving mindset and to unlock the full potential of the organization by relentlessly developing its people.
• The MD is expected to be a LEAN leader that continuously strives to make the company the best in class operator through standardization and sharing of best practice globally in an inclusive, transparent manner.
• Furthermore, the MD is the chief stakeholder manager of the entity, ensuring productive and positive relations with all relevant stakeholders such as customers, governmental agents, regulatory authorities and labor unions, with a visible presence on the ground with both employees and customers and a high degree of intimacy.
• Finally, the MD is the primary enabler of global company standards within a local context and acts as the entity’s chief safety owner, leader and ambassador.
Behaviors and attributes:
• Health, safety, security & environment – Understands and actively embeds HSE as a value, by taking collective and individual responsibility for driving HSSE improvement. Has integrated HSSE into business making processes and programs and understands their impact and influence on risk management. Demonstrates accountability by engaging and supporting the workforce to learn from incidents and remains fully and emotionally involved and engaged in HSE every day.
• Drives vision & purpose – Demonstrates a deep-seated and consistent perseverance to deliver on the overarching vision and goals of our company. Shows strong belief in and sense of ownership of that vision. Thinks and acts at an enterprise level and infuses day-to-day leadership and communication with same. Actively drives engagement across all layers of the organization by instilling a fundamental sense of purpose, starting with the question of ‘why’ we do what we do as a business.
• Drives business performance – Relentlessly and continuously ensures that the business strives for excellence, by ensuring that customers receive excellent service and all employees embrace excellence in all of their activities and deliverables. Shows ongoing drive for efficiencies and improvements in all parts of the business, by consistently linking ‘Way of Working’ to solve/deliver business priorities and objectives, as well as leveraging all elements and tools of the ‘Way of Working’ to drive a business system that is indistinguishable from ‘normal’ functional activities. Always acts responsibly and with full accountability towards shareholders in terms performance and return on invested capital.
• Customer orientation – Exhibits a ‘customer first’ attitude in all decisions and considerations, with the ultimate aim of whatever we do must be good for our customers. Strives to deeply understand expectations and requirements of both internal and external customers, and weaves this into daily operations and initiatives.
• Critical thinking – Displays a sense of ongoing curiosity about the world, both inside and outside the company, with the expectation to ‘learn and share something new’ every day. Questions established patters of operation and shows a continuous ‘drive for improvement’ and goes to Gemba by default. Evaluates multiple approaches to a problem by applying structured problemsolving skills and drives a consistent problem-solving culture through Kaizen methodology.
• Collaboration – Drives a collaborative approach across all levels and functions of the organization and builds effective teams. Actively builds bridges and counters silo thinking and demonstrates how to make a matrix organization work well. Advocates a culture of reaching out across teams and departments to ask for best practice to find solutions.
• Instills trust – Demonstrates ongoing integrity in words and actions, as well as deep selfawareness. Stays true to fundamental values and philosophy of our company. In spite of strategic adjustments, never compromises strategic and corporate principles, values and ethics.
• Situational adaptability – Demonstrates a mindset of flexibility and agility, while not losing sight of the overall goal and underlying purpose. Has the ability to anticipate and overcome setbacks and unexpected new developments, and to persevere with regards to longer term objectives.
• People orientation – Actively develops talent and values differences in people. Displays a ‘coaching mindset’ in all conversations with subordinates. Focuses on asking the right questions to trigger deeper thinking and learning. Fosters a culture of proposing solutions to problems out of own initiative and reflection, and continuously gives and solicits timely constructive feedback in a structured manner. Holds leaders in his organization accountable to the same leadership philosophy.
• Influencing – Shows ability to find common ground and purpose with different parties and actors and distilling meaning for every participant. Actively drives necessary change and secures buy-in
from all relevant stakeholders, with and without immediate authority. Exhibits an attitude of humility and curiosity toward other people’s opinions, beliefs and experiences. Consults widely and does not pretend to have all the answers. Practices active listening skills and expects the same from leaders in his/her organization.
• Inspiring – Displays an ability to make sense of the world through storytelling and demonstrates ‘wholehearted leadership’ that includes publicly sharing personal failures and tribulations, and how those have been overcome. Ensures that all layers of the organization are continuously reminded about the overarching purpose and links all initiatives and engagements back to the same purpose. Exhibits the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, and to effectively tailor the message depending on the audience. Practices active two-way communication in all forums and situations.
• Cultivates Innovation – Shows an attitude of openness and curiosity to new technology and its benefits. Displays ‘early adopter’ attributes and proactively stays up-to-date on technology developments. Leverages the opportunities in automation and digitization to continuously improve processes and efficiencies.
• External focus – Demonstrates a ‘from the outside in’ mentality and outlook on business. Proactively keeps up-to date on current political, social and economic events and developments and reflects upon implications for the business. Preempts the impact of external developments by timely strategic/tactical adjustments.
• Performance management – Has a thorough grounding in operational performance management and corporate governance, by virtue of having had full leadership responsibility for an organizational unit.
• Commercial – Ideally has had exposure to a functional commercial role (CCO, Head of Sales etc.) or played a leading role in a strategic commercial project. Has held/led customer-facing positions and/or projects in the past.
• Working in a matrix – Worked in a matrix organization, having both ‘solid’ and ‘dotted’ reporting lines. Has successfully managed projects and strategic initiatives across different functions, brands, business units and/or geographies.
• Stakeholder management – Experience in managing a diverse and potentially adverse set of stakeholders, such as port authorities, regulatory authorities, governmental agents, unions, international organizations etc.
• Relevant industry experience – Prior exposure and/or in port management/operations, shipping, transportation, freight forwarding and/or logistics.
• Non-industry experience – Has some work experience from and/or exposure to outside the industry, such as FMCG, oil & gas, regulatory authorities etc.
• Working across cultures – Has had significant work experience outside home country and/or immediate cultural context.
• Leadership experience – Has significant successful leadership experience, including both ‘leading individual contributors’ and ‘leading other leaders’. Project management experience is an added asset.
• People development experience – Has successfully developed own successor in one of previous roles.
• Strategy development and execution – Has taken lead in successful development and execution of a long-term strategic initiative.
• Working in complex ownership structures – Leadership experience in an entity with complex ownership structured such as joint ventures, public-private partnerships etc., and has successfully navigated the stakeholder landscape.
Functional skills and requirements:
• Lean – Should have a grounding in tools of Lean academy level 1 (minimum) or 3.3 (ideal). Has the ability to leverage basic problem-solving tools and facilitate discussions to generate improvements and solution (D.I.V.E.). Has thorough grounding in and end-to-end understanding of Operating Systems.
• Operations management – Knowledge of and experience in managing of port- and container related processes and has led significant improvement initiatives in same.
• Negotiation – Should possess solid negotiation skills, and a track record of successfully concluding negotiations and resolving conflicts with high stakes. Displays proactive conflict resolution skills.
• Compliance – Awareness of ongoing business and operational risks. Has played an instrumental role in identifying and addressing past compliance issues, and has actively driven risk management strategies and processes, as well as non-compliance investigations.
• Financial understanding – Has a thorough grounding in fundamentals of business finance (financial data, financial statements, cash management, banking, planning, budgets, profitability, solvency, liquidity etc.).
• Strategic planning – Has led strategy development and execution initiatives in the past.
• Commercial planning – Prior exposure to launching a new product into the marketplace and/or has played leading role in developing plans to ensure operations are in place to handle distribution and feedback from customers.
• Media – Previous successful interaction with various forms of media (TV, print, social media etc.) and has built a solid skill set in terms of adequately and concisely communicating with media representatives, without compromising business interests.
• Change leadership – Is familiar with common change leadership frameworks (Kotter etc.) and has successfully led strategic change initiatives in the past through all critical stages.
• Mentoring and coaching – Has acted as a mentor to junior employees in the past and is an experienced practitioner of established coaching models (especially GROW, High Performing Teams etc.
Are you interested in becoming a Managing Director in Liberia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client in West Africa is looking for a Chief Operations Officer.
Reporting to the Managing Director / CEO, the Chief Operations Officer will be responsible for creating and maintaining a terminal operational strategy that ensures a safe working environment, meets agreed service levels and is cost-efficient. The Chief Operations Officer is a member of the terminal senior management team and has a direct influence on the further growth and development of the terminal. He/ She oversee the operations of the organisation with a goal to meeting business goals and projections. The COO is expected to provide measurable input to the terminals business strategy within the limits of the role.
The position is responsible for:
• Setting and delivering the main operational initiatives which are within the strategy of the terminal.
• Establishing and implementing current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies of port operations and expansions.
• Providing leadership and direction for the Port/Terminal operations and taking responsibility for effective management and safety of all operations staff.
• Improving the quality of existing operational processes and methods on an ongoing basis, by providing input for effective local strategies for operating at optimal levels.
• Ensuring operational processes comply with HSSE policies & procedures.
• Playing a leading role in selection, negotiation and finalization of agreements with suppliers & customers including execution and maintenance of SLA’s.
• Liaising with customs agents, trucking companies, customs, port authorities, etc. to ensure that their requirements are met.
• Setting and achieving the budget for the reporting functions.
• Ensuring that the terminal adheres to the company’s Global standards on process and people development.
• Motivating, coaching and instructing all operational team members. Structuring tasks and goals, establishing efficient courses of action, setting priorities, organising information, efficiently, planning and executing daily tasks.
• Supporting programs and initiatives that emphasise incremental improvement in work process and outputs over an open-ended period of time.
• Liaising with labor unions and on behalf of the company taking part in long-term contract negotiations with labor unions. Ensuring industrial harmony with the workforce.
• Measuring and reporting on operational performance and developing plans to improve relevant key performance indicators
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• Minimum university degree in logistics, maritime and port, or process/industrial engineering.
• Completed post-graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies is desirable.
• Minimum 7-year experience in operations management roles in the port and maritime industry, manufacturing, aviation or similar.
• Solid understanding of the container shipping industry end-to-end and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers.
• Experience in cost and productivity optimisation through process optimisation, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
• Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations and terminal management systems.
• Extensive knowledge of Terminal Operating Systems
• Fluent in English and preferably also in the local language
• Experience in finance related matters, setting budgets and reporting against financial objectives.
• Ability to meet objectives while promoting a team environment and developing people.
• Lean knowledge and leadership
• Build Effective Teams
• Problem Solver mindset
• Effective Negotiation Skills
• Conflict Management
• Effective Communication Skills
• Customer Centricity
Our client is an equal opportunity employer, and also encourages women to apply for this role.
If you are interested in this position, please apply above or below.
The CEO is a first member of the team for the port project, and serves as a strategic partner and advisor to the client’s management team and Director – Global Investments. As the CEO the candidate will set-up and provide leadership and direction to the (project) team responsible for delivering the services under the Concession Agreement, and manage the day-to-day affairs of the company including but not limited to construction, financial, operational, administrative, community relations, and customer creation and service. The CEO will be the primary contact point between all port-related government bodies.
The right candidate is an engaging and focused leader who leverages best practice management skills to maximize team performance. As an individual the CEO is highly adaptive and excels in a dynamic environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directing functions & performance
• Sets up & Leads the local team in management of day-to-day affairs of the company.
• Ensures that all managers are up to date with the concession related terms.
• Oversees annual budget requirements, approving budget guidelines, with end accountability for the achievement of both budget and financial goals of the organization in accordance with the business plan and updated financial model.
2. Contract Management
• Ensures that all company activities are carried out in commercial, technical, operational compliance with the concession agreement, projects agreements, financing agreements, service agreements and agreed business plan.
• Interfaces with all major contractors and vendors to achieve the agreed performance output as contracted.
• Ensures all contractual obligations of the company are fully met.
• Secures appropriate long-term service contracts.
• Seeks opportunities to enhance the popularity of the port and increase the project’s revenue potential.
3. Communication & Liaison
• Builds and actively manages relationships with all stakeholders.
• Represents the organization with the shareholders, the financial community and the public including the media.
4. Developing the business strategy
• Provides the vision, leadership and direction for the company. Establishes short and long-term goals, objectives, plans and policies, subject to approval by the client’s management.
• Develops the commercial strategy for approval by the client’s management.
• Develops and manages the business plan and annual operating plan.
5. Recruitment and Development
• Recruits / manages the local Senior Management team, and provides mentoring/guidance to senior managers.
• Implements a relevant performance management system.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• At least fifteen (15+) plus years of working as an MD or CEO with experience in successfully managing concessions agreements and Oil & Gas/ off-shore terminal construction projects, in Ghana or West Africa.
• Extensive managerial and leadership knowledge, applying best practices to all sections of the business.
• Successful Track record of stakeholder management and dealing with senior authorities, bureaucrats and ministry level individuals.
• Excellent contacts with public authorities in Ghana.
• Must be able to demonstrate strong leadership and exceptional skills in building interpersonal relationships, including a high degree of tact, diplomacy and ability to influence.
• In-depth understanding of financial concepts, financial models and hands-on with the financial implications of the project implementation processes.
• Excellent business acumen, including project management skills.
• Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• A collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
• Advanced verbal and written communications skills in English in addition to effective interpersonal skills.
All applicants are required to submit to a complete background check and medical examination as a condition of employment. Only candidates that have successfully passed both checks will be eligible for employment.
If you’re interested in the position of CEO apply through this link.
Our client is a leader in the global container shipping and logistics industry and we are looking for a Senior Manager Sales in South Africa for them.
Overall Responsibility :
• Develop a growth strategy for Africa for the company working closely with senior management.
• Deliver on Key utilization
• Gaining knowledge of the specifics of the market in Africa
• Building and managing a team that reaches the sales goals set by the company
Job Specification - Key Accountabilities:
Ownership of seventy percent of West African ship utilization
In charge of mapping complete Free On Board segment for all key African countries
Building a strong support network in regional offices around the world for promotion for outbound and inbound cargo in Africa.
Improve together with the team the cargo mix for inbound cargo by country
Responsible for preperation, execution and maintenance of African Free On Board tender list
Willing to work after hours and do business trips on short notice.
Critical Qualifications / Skills / Experience
▪ Preferably a degree in Business, Sales , Marketing or equivalent
▪ Comprehensive experience in logistics, trade manegement and / or liner shipping
▪ Knowledgable about the processes and workflow in the shipping industry
▪ Knowledge of African Market. Having lived in Africa is an added advantage
▪ Excellent command of spoken and written English. Ability to speak and write in French and Portuguese will be an advantage.
▪ Good knowledge of user applications systems (FIS, CRM, Web Focus/Hyperion) will also be an advantage. Otherwise the candidate will have to be keen to learn fast.
▪ Analytical with ability to identify market opportunities,
▪ Solid problem-solving and organizational skills
▪ Customer-oriented with positive attitude
▪ Can demonstrate leadership skills to lead and motivate a team
▪ Ability to work under pressure and meet targets
▪ Willing to work very hard to achieve results and targets.
▪ Results-oriented, goal-driven
▪ Assertive negotiator
▪ Team player with a proactive attitude
▪ Result driven and persuasiveness
▪ Ability to communicate and collaborate
▪ Ability to work under pressure
Entrepreneurial and conceptional thinking and action:
▪ Acknowledge Signals
▪ Multi-dimensional thinking
▪ Courage to make decisions and accepting responsibility
▪ Lateral thinker
▪ Multi skilling and quick decision maker
Positive image to colleagues and customers:
▪ Capacity to support and inspire
▪ Open and honest attitude
▪ Hard working
▪ Lead by example
Are you interested in becoming a Senior Manager Sales in South Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client wishes to expand its business offering and sales compliment with a view to acquiring more business in the new builds and repairs business.
POSITION IN THE ORGANISATION
Reports to: Managing Director
To play an integral role in success of the Organisation by bringing in new business to the Organisation and the effective on boarding of new clients. To develop the local sales, finding, growing and developing existing clients with the aim of developing new business.
- New clients
- To research and obtain new clients in the maritime industry across a broad spectrum;
- To develop a trust relationship with this portfolio so that they come to us as a supplier first;
- Understand what the key requirements are of the customer;
- Work with the other staff regarding new tenders for new clients and the business proposals;
- Represent the Company in terms of business with the clients and any social functions;
- Obtain new clients in the maritime industry who could be potential purchasers of vessels;
- Develop the relationship so that the client wants to work with and use our organisation as the supplier;
- Close deals with new clients for new and repair business.
- Existing clients
- Continue the relationships and continue to build relationships with the clients on all levels;
- Research their needs on an ongoing basis;
- Decide whether the requirement is for new builds or repair Work;
- Work with the Management at the yard to ensure tenders are done in time or quotations delivered in time.
- Have a portfolio of strong accounts.
- Tenders and quotations
- Assist with the drawing up of tenders and quotations for new and repair work;
- Do accurate costing and estimates using approved BBBEE suppliers;
- Develop tenders that are successful and positive in that the Company wins them.
Developing contacts and creating awareness
- Using existing client knowledge and developing new client connections to develop the sales channels further;
- Developing all client contacts to further the name of the organisation as a preferred supplier;
- Maintaining the existing contacts within the Governmental customers to ensure the ongoing communication
- Represent the Company at all levels, engendering trust and confidence with clients.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Up to date information and ability to act on all levels when discussing new build and repair work;
Reports and administration
- Keeps management informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly and annual territory analyses;
- Provides historical records by maintaining records on area and customer sales.
- Weekly / monthly reporting on activities and possible sales and progression of sales.
Other duties and responsibilities express and implied which arise from the nature and character of the post within the organisation.
Carry out any reasonable duties consistent with the post as directed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma or degree in commerce / law.
- Background of the SAN, Armscor, TNPA, or having working experience in those types of businesses’.
Are you interested in becoming a Key Accounts Manager in South Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is a European company that has years of experience in the maritime industry with, amongst others, the following fields of work: Building of Offshore support ships, offshore accommodations, tugs and work boats, inland vessels and dredgers.
For their shipyard in West Africa they are looking for a shipyard manager.
Main responsibilities will be:
• Technical skills, calculations, drawings
• Quality assurance
• Business development, helped by HQ
• People management (team of 65)
• Admin, planning, acquisition, work preparation
The right candidate should have experience in the steel fabricating industry, preferably a shipyard. Should be somebody hands-on that can work on hulls, body and engines and even more so, train the team. Africa experience (or other developing countries) a must.
Interested in this role? Please apply through the button ‘Apply’.
Our client is looking for a General Agency Manager for their container division / department in Sierra Leone.
Purpose / overview:
- To lead and manage the overall daily operation of the company
- Ensure smoothly information flow through the various departments
- To drive the company forward in all aspects, this incl. business as well as staff
- To protect and enhance the reputation and standing of the company in all respects
- Reports directly to the Managing Director and head office
- Oversees procedures and deadlines are met in alliance with the Head Office’s guidelines
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Operations – Supervise the operation team. Ensure fast and efficient operation and turnaround of vessels. Maintain professional and fruitful relationship with both Freetown Terminal as well as the Sierra Leone Port Autohorities.
- Logistics – Organize all logistics aspect with the Logistics Manager. Safeguard all claims, user account control, container control as well as logistics reports are done as per guidelines.
- Sales – Organize and motivate both the import as well as export sales team. Provide sales tool, both to maintain existing clients, but also to gain new client. Manage and maintain key accounts with local sales team
- Documentation – Supervise both import and export documentation department, to ensure local as well as the Company’s directions are followed.
- Customer Service – Ensure the team keeps providing professional customer service in a highly competitive market
- IT – IT officer will take care of the daily running. The General Agency Manager is in control of any new implementations the Head Office requires.
- HR – Overall leadership of 20 staff including recruitment, training/development, performance management and discipline and grievance
- PR – Liaises with media, advertisers and other suppliers/contacts in relation to brand, advertising and publicity. All PR is done with support from the Managing Director.
- Finance – Oversees the Finance Manager and his/her team but holds ultimate responsibility and signature authority for all financial transactions on behalf of the company. Approves monthly staff salaries and authorizes all expenses. Approves and ensures deadlines for financial reports (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly) are met in alliance with local procedure as well as Head Office’s instructions.
- Legal and Administration – Manages staff to ensure the office is efficiently and compliantly run at all times. Holds all local legal responsibilities (JV, staff, building contracts, insurance) and oversees all supplier relationships and contracts.
• Proven working experience as an Agency Manager in the container branch
• 5-7 years of experience in West Africa
• Demonstrable ability to lead and manage staff
• Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects
• Fluency in English
• Operational mindset taking precaution for the challenges in the country
• Ability to think out of the box to create and sell solutions
• Be a business developer with focus on expanding the business and improve internal agent network
• Should be outgoing, have a good sense of humor, responsible and self-driven, conscientious, focused, result-oriented, purposeful and most important; know how to be a good team player and manager/leader for his team
• Being part of a young and dynamic team
• Being part of successful company with a high track record in West and Central Africa
• Exciting challenges every day!
Start date is a.s.a.p., but no later than Dec 1st 2017.
Single status only
Our client is looking for expats to fill the position as Financial Controllers in Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinee.
They are looking for a strong financial candidate with an accounting / controlling background that is ready for a second or third step in his or her career.
• Responsible for the day to day accounting
• Maintains a financial structure for its own country
• Controls all financial planning and reporting
• Takes care of up-to-date financial information
• Reports to and works closely together with CFO in Europe
• Manages a small local team at the office
• Handles miscellaneous matters as required
• Great potential, great team, fantastic experience and career move, a lot of independency required
The candidate must be:
Creative, practical, flexible, adventurous, able to work with little or no supervision, a self-starter, entrepreneurial
• Bachelor with a professional financial qualification (i.e. ACCA, etc.) or master in finance or economic field is a must
• At least 3 years’ experience in finance, preferably in logistics, mining, oil and gas
• Excellent financial reporting skills
• Good organizer and communicator
• Fluent in English
• Previous experience in a developing country is an advantage
What they offer:
• Great team and career opportunity
• Accommodation, flights, transport, international insurance
• Competitive salary
Start date asap, note this is a single status position
Are you interested in becoming a Financial Controller in West Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.