JOB SEARCH RESULT:
The role’s key purpose is to create sustainable impact through serving entrepreneurs in the SME sector with risk capital and business support, helping them to realise their full business potential and achieve long- term success. The investment manager delivers tangible value to the SME clients and by doing so, achieves financial and impact returns on his/her transactions. A secondary purpose is to develop and share within the company network knowledge and expertise in SME investment and support, including lessons learnt.
The position reports to the Investment Executive. Within the organisation, the position has primary working relationships with the in-country investment team. Externally, the IM works mostly with referral networks and clients.
Key accountabilities and Responsibilities
Deal referral networks (10%)
• Identify, develop and maintain deal referral networks
• Measure and report on the effectiveness of such networks
• Conversion application/screening
• Identify prospect needs and effectively sell company value offering to fulfil these needs
• Screen applications efficiently, applying the company viability model and the investment strategy and policy framework.
• Analyse and thoroughly verify and cross reference key assumptions underpinning the business plan.
• Build the financial model and conduct a proper risk assessment.
• Manage collateral and insurance policies
Portfolio Management (10%)
• Conduct a quarterly, formal portfolio visit and record the results on e-front.
• Follow up on all repayments due and make suitable arrangements to address potential arrears
• Restructure transactions that are viable and hand over those that are no longer viable
Sustainability & Growth (30%)
• Support the client in developing and implementing a robust business plan, financial plan and risk assessment and mitigation plan.
• Introduce ESG best practices and formalize business where appropriate
• Support implementation of a financial management system that produces monthly management accounts
• Track performance of portfolio companies against the business financial plan.
Expertise & Knowledge (10%)
• Share success, knowledge and experience among the team and the wider network
• Actively contribute to the team and collaborate within and across teams
• Internal Feedback
The company is a mission-driven for profit development finance organization that is run on strong commercial principles. We recruit people that believe in the power of capital and market development to do bring about positive change in local communities. Our client employs people who are passionate about its sector and what they do, strong on ethics and committed to the success and sustainability of our clients and of the company.
The company works with local entrepreneurs who are looking to professionalize and grow their businesses. They support them with practical, specific and relevant business advice. This requires it to be accessible, down-to-earth, pragmatic, hands-on, professional, respectful and honest. The
company aims to develop long term relationships with its employees.
Required experience, qualification and skills
• Investment or finance experience in SME investment, with a 7+ years (Senior Investment Manager) and 5+ years (Junior Investment Manager) of demonstrated track record in investing or financing SMEs.
• Advanced degree required. An MBA is preferred, as well as CFA or ACCA.
• Excellent financial and analytical skills.
• Good credit management skills
• Written and spoken language fluency in English essential.
Key attributes and competencies
Relating and networking
Presenting and communicating information
• Speaks clearly and fluently;
• Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly;
• Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence;
• Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback;
• Projects credibility
Applying expertise and technology
• Uses technology to achieve work objectives;
Learning and researching
• Analyses numerical data, verbal data and all other sources of information;
• Breaks information into component parts, patterns and relationships;
• Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem;
• Makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis;
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
• Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction;
• Sets high standards for quality and quantity;
• Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
• Consistently achieves project goals
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
• Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm;
• Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary;
• Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence