JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Trade Development Group (TDG) has a mission to passionately use our knowledge and expertise to develop sustainable economies in Africa. TDG has a strong focus on cashews. TDG want to stimulate the local economy in Africa by creating and stimulating employment, resulting in fair income for the poorest, and as a spin off: fair buying conditions to source basic needs. TDG has now several subsidairies in Africa. One of the subsidairies is Afokantan Benin Cashew S.A.. Afokantan Benin Cashew is a cashew processing company operating in the North of Benin, West-Africa. The plant started processing in 2007, with the objective to counter the trend of exporting raw cashew nuts to India and Vietnam, and create additional value locally instead.
During the first years cashew processing was mainly done manually, but without great success. Therefore two years ago the company changed to a mechanized processing model, and invested in mechanical processing equipment. After the first operational year this is giving promising results, but experience also learns that it remains difficult to install, maintain and improve these machines in an African environment. Main technical challenges are the limited availability of spare parts, practical-analytical skills and knowledge about maintenance and repairs of (electro-)mechanical equipment, and linking machine performance to machine design and settings, etc.
Therefore Afokantan is looking for a Young Expert, who will mainly focus on and give support on the following subjects:
- Optimization of the processing plant by improving efficiency of the machinery;
- Instigating a market comparison for the availability of processing machines for upcoming investments;
- Co-developing the best possible machine standard for the plant;
- Work preparation and composing protocols for purchasing machines;
- Improving and implementing a practicable technical plan for the management and maintenance of the machines;
- Identifying and recognizing issues in the performance of the machine on micro level as well as identifying production technical issues in the production process;
- Development, construction and installation of technical improvements in existing machines or new machines;
- Setting up a long-term plan for development and preservation of knowledge about the machines;
- Monitoring of maintenance programs (personnel, technically and budget wise);
- Training local employees in using and maintaining the machines, so they can manage in case of absence of the Young Expert;
- Further development of the business case by optimizing the machine park in general
Processing cashew nuts can only be done in a profitable way when it’s done in an efficient way (when the KPI’s are being achieved). Technical aspects play an important role in achieving these results, and the Young Expert will work with our technical team of 7 persons to contribute in achieving these goals.
- Mechanical or electromechanical engineer or similar, minimum level bachelor
- Hands on mentality with knowledge of mechanical engineering and electronics
- Relevant working experience in a similar job in the food processing branch
- Go-getting personality who is enthusiastic about lifting the plant to a higher level
- Knowledge of Autocad and Microsoft Office programs
- English and French speaking
- Willing to travel on a regular basis, both within and outside Benin
- Professional work attitude, independent and responsible
- Communicative and capable of explaining complex processes in a simple way
with a strong understanding of micro finance procedures and risk management
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Full time, indeterminate, as soon as possible
As Customer Finance Advisor you will work in a small, highly motivated team based in Arusha, Tanzania. The position will focus on the receivables risk management (RRM), which includes – amongst others – the assessment of applicants, the follow up with customers in late repayment and the portfolio management. The Customer Finance Advisor is consulting and supporting the Tanzanian Customer Finance Management in regards to management, monitoring and controlling of all customer finance related activities. In the mid-term the position holder will take over functional authority and all related responsibilities as Customer Finance Manager.
Together with the Local Tanzanian Customer Finance Management you:
• Implement the updated RRM
• Provide recommendations for adjustments of existing policies, procedures and manuals to the Customer Finance department at Mobisol HQs
• Provide regular reports to the Tanzanian Chief Administration Officer and the Customer Finance department at Mobisol HQs
You consult and support the Local Customer Finance Management to:
• Maintain the national receivables portfolio quality at reasonable levels
• Monitor the national regulations and customer protection legislation, thus ensuring that policy, procedural guidelines and manuals are in line with governing law
• Oversee all day to day operations, including customer assessment and ap-proval, management of overdue and defaulted receivables, customer field visits for benchmark data gathering purposes, etc.
• Supervise the activities of the local Loan Field Officers and Credit Assess-ment Officers
• Manage the recruitment activities of new staff as well as classroom and field training of existing staff
• Organize periodic performance review of customer finance staff and staff involved in customer finance activities
• University Degree in economics, finance or the like
• A proven track record of at least 3 years of working international experience, ideally in a micro finance environment
• First leadership experience with disciplinary and technical authority incl. training and mentoring and the ability to supervise remote teams
• Relevant professional experience in credit assessment, ideally in MSME lending
• First experience in consumer lending and credit scoring would be an additional asset
• An understanding of typical income, expenditure and cash flow patterns of rural and peri-urban households and micro-enterprises in low-income countries, preferably Tanzania
• Good knowledge background in small-holder agriculture an asset
• High level of creativity and flexibility to enhance and incorporate unorthodox and data-driven receivables risk management procedures
• Very strong communication and negotiation skills
• Very good organizational and interpersonal skills, dynamic self-starter and team player
• Passion for the whole range of customer finance activities AND for Mobisol´s vision to plug in the world
• A good sense of humor and optimism even in stressful times
• Contribute to Mobisol´s vision to plug in the world and do something really meaningful
• Be part of a great team of people who combine professional expertise with personal passion
• Opportunity to grow with the company and become involved in the global roll-out of Mobisol
• Highly dynamic international environment in our subsidiary in Africa
• Flat hierarchies and unconventional ways to do things – your ideas and experiences are more than welcome
• Intensive on-the-job training in the HQ in Berlin
Q Energy Consultants is a Dutch biogas company that started its operation in September 2011. We are registered in the Netherlands and Uganda and keep our main office in Kampala, Uganda for our operations in East Africa. Our main product is a bio-digester made from reinforced PVC which produces biogas and organic fertilizer. Biogas can be used for electricity production by co-fuelling in a diesel generator. The organic fertilizer is rich in NPK and makes a good fertilizer for cash crops.
Q Energy is about to roll out a project for biogas for milk cooling in Western Uganda. The project is a pilot project to demonstrate the technical feasibility of co-fuelling biogas and usage of organic fertilizer as well as the economic feasibility of the concept. The project will start on January 1st and will run for 15 months.
The project is an expansion of Q Energy’s existing business and therefore creates a number of vacancies. In the job description we refer to the needed employee as ‘he’, but the position are open to both male and female applicants.
Project Manager - Uganda
For this position Q Energy is looking for a result oriented manager who is comfortable with engineering challenges and has a strong ‘hands on’ mentality. The project manager’s main responsibility is to ensure proper operation and maintenance of Q Energy’s bio-digesters, i.e. the supply of biogas to the generator and the production of organic fertilizer. His focus is to do this efficient, smoothly and within the budget. As this project concerns a pilot project, learning lessons is an important objective. Therefore reporting on and analysing lesson learned, and use them to improve project implementation where possible is an important part of the job.
Though based in Kampala, the project manager spends most of the time on the project location in order to work closely together with the operations team.
The operations manager works under supervision of and is accountable to the managing director.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The operations manager has the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Set up the local operations office in the project location. This includes training the local operations team and set up the production facility.
- Maintain the project assets and troubleshoot where necessary.
- Plan the logistics and the operations together with the operations coordinator on a daily basis.
- Monitor the biogas production and the fertilizer production of each digester. Carry out research and development activities primarily on the side of marketing the organic fertilizer.
- Propose improvements on bio-digester design, set up and installation.
- Report on the operations to the managing director. This includes budgets and accountabilities.
- Maintain relations with Q Energy’s partners in the region and with local authorities.
We are looking for a team player who operates on bachelor level and has a technical or agricultural background with affinity for technique/engineering. The work environment requires experience of working in rural Africa in a management position.
The project manager we are looking for has the following profile:
- Job related experience
- Experience in (Financial) reporting (budgets and accountability) skills Experience in supervising employees/teams with diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds
- Experience in project management
- Experience with planning and organising
- Experience or affinity with a start-up company or SME
- Experience in customer, service oriented contacts in a private sector setting
- Affinity with renewable energy related work and/or agriculture
- High level of integrity and honesty
- A people manager and team player
- Great problem solving skills (ask before act), a “getting things done” mentality “Hands-on”, practical mentality
- Good written and oral presentation and communication skills
- Flexible and creative
- Customer focused and business oriented
- In possession of a valid driving license for car (motorbike can also be useful)
- Physically and mentally fit
The contract offer is for 15 months, being the project duration. The project starts at January 1st 2016. The probation time will be 6 months.
Applications can be sent through the link 'I'm interested' before November 15th 2015.
Company profile general:
Our client started two steel processing plants in Pointe Noire August 2014. They collect steel scrap locally and process the steel used in reinforced concrete. They deliver to their local customers by road. Their customers exist of wholesale and reselling points as well as construction companies directly.
The two factories have different processes. One uses a cold rolling process, the other a hot melting process.
One of the 3 owners of the company is currently managing the company, which is one of more in their family owned business, and are looking for an experience General Director to take over the management for one of the factories. He / she will be given carte blanche in order to set up processes and make it into a modern type company, ready for growth.
- Reporting to: Owner, who is currently filling this position
- Size of team: 10 in office, 65 in factory
- Structure of team: It is a new organisation, the structure needs to be set up and managed
- Culture: Family owned, ambitious
- 1st year challenge: To set up a company structure including processes and SOP’s read for growth.
- Tasks: Little of everything, Production planning, Deliveries, Logistics, Finance, Procurement, Administration, Business Development
- 10+ years’ in industrial processing or production environment
- 5+ years’ as Administration / GM for a mid to large sized company
- French language
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of steel processing
- (West) Africa experience
- Negotiable, depending on candidate’s experience
Start date a.s.a.p.