JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. SafeBoda is a pre-series A Ugandan-based tech startup on a mission to make motorcycle taxis (bodas) more safe, affordable, and convenient across Sub-Saharan Africa—while providing a more meaningful and lucrative career for drivers. And we think we have a shot to build a very valuable company in the process. Backed by the Shell Foundation, Development Innovation Ventures USAID, the Global Innovation Fund, and an angel tech investor, SafeBoda is well off to the races: we have nailed the driver-side model with 1000+ drivers, growing at 8% week-on-week over the last 6 months, and we are looking to better monetize our ~20,000 trips in Kampala per day.
Head of Business Development
SafeBoda is looking for a Head of Business Development to help ensure SafeBoda is the most innovative company in the transportation space in Africa. The ideal candidate will have both strong consulting experience and start-up skills.
The Head of Business Development will work closely with the founders and will play a pivotal role in shaping the company’s future. The Head of Business Development requires a high-level of multi-tasking skills and start-up hustle to execute in a fast growing start-up.
What we are looking for
• 3+ years of experience in Management Consulting, Business, or at a Start-up is preferred. Experiences such as successful entrepreneurial projects or leading a partnership engagement is ideal
• Proven leadership ability
• Ability to structure problems, prioritize them, and then get things independently done
• Detail-oriented with superior organizational and problem-solving skills - balancing multiple projects, deadlines, and requests should be second nature to you
• Supreme communication skills both written and spoken and ability to communicate solutions to complex problems will be essential
• Data-driven and analytical
• Flexibility, positivity and ability to enjoy new environments
• At a minimum strong undergraduate degree with demonstrated strong academic performance
• Excitement for SafeBoda and what we are trying to achieve in urban transportation in Africa
• Build, organize and manage Safeboda’s Government, Business and Research partnerships amongst other projects.
• Hands-on support on a number of projects such as building a road safety initiative, structuring a driver training program with our partners and supporting the analysis on the impact of SafeBoda on the community
• Work with a diverse range of public, private and international industry leaders in a number of different sectors to innovate and improve SafeBoda’s business and impact
• Join the Senior Management Team that reports to the Co-Founders
Commensurate with experience
As a senior member of the business development team, you will work closely with VP, Business Development to lead Powerhive’s efforts in new markets within East Africa and initiate and develop off-grid renewable energy projects across the region. You will be responsible for sourcing and developing a substantiated pipeline of projects using in-market resources or Powerhive teams and ensuring bankability though efficiently coordinated diligence processes. You will work with cross-functional internal support teams, including Project Finance, Engineering, and PMO to help bring projects to Execution.
• INTENDED START DATE: July/August, 2016
• LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT: English, French is a plus
• TRAVEL: Up to 60% of the time
• RELOCATION: Regional hires are preferred. A relocation package will be considered for exceptional candidates only.
IN YOUR FIRST...
• MONTH - In the first month, you will familiarize yourself with our business model and do a deep dive on the East African region to develop your goals and priorities. You will have traveled to each country to assess the potential on the ground. You will also take control of the development of our next-level project in Kenya to follow our groundbreaking ‘Project Cloverfield’.
• 90 DAYS - In the first three months, you will have personally initiated operations in a new market, defining the opportunity, establishing key stakeholder relationships and scouting local talent. You will have identified several solid opportunities for greenfield development and/or M&A and have brought on dedicated resources in each of your focus markets and have detailed goals, timelines and (preliminary) budgets in place.
• 180 DAYS - After 6 months you are in advanced stages of acquiring concessions/permits in your focus markets, have a well-defined opportunity and project for each and have achieved sign-off from the Investment Committee.
• ONE YEAR- After a year, you and your team will have developed a large pipeline of shovel-ready connections, opened up new markets and be ready to hand over connections to the Operations team for execution.
• GENERAL - 10% - Help refine development, assessment and due diligence processes and workflows; Create compelling analysis and clearly-articulated presentations for executive management and board-level stakeholders in order to support executive decision-making
• MARKET ENTRY - 25%- Competitive research, assessment of competitive activities within the micro-grid and energy access sector; Contribute to twice-annual Market Prioritization exercise to help set overall BD goals
• PROJECT PIPELINE - 50% - Drive delivery of pipeline (i.e. shovel-ready connections, including concession, customer contracts, all commercial arrangements, etc.) to Operations for execution, Lead opportunity screening by conducting preliminary analyses of investment opportunities; C
• PROJECT EXECUTION - 15% - Work hand-in-hand with joint development partner(s) and other strategic partners (e.g. equipment suppliers, EPC, O&M contractors) in region to ensure that the BD team delivers fully defined project to Operations
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
• 5+ years’ experience developing and leading infrastructure projects, ideally in the energy/utilities or telecom sectors. Demonstrated experience working on complex transactions including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships and/or asset sales.
• University degree in finance, law, MBA, or project management.
• Understanding of the off-grid and mini/micro-grid markets in particular, and the renewable energy sector in general.
• Understanding of energy markets, utility rates and consumer and channel partner value propositions for residential and commercial solar.
• Strong understanding of East African cultures, governance, and economies.
• Advanced negotiation skills.
• Thorough understanding of project finance and process of getting projects funded.
• Highly organized, ability to track and follow up multiple deals/projects concurrently and timeously.
• Strong quantitative analysis skills including the development of business cases and other relevant transaction support analysis.
• Proven ability to manage multiple simultaneous transaction processes and close complex deals with significant contracted revenues / customer targets.
• Proficient with modern productivity tools such as MS Office, Google Apps, Asana, Slack, Salesforce.
• Work well under pressure
• Team player, able to achieve results through others
• Self-starter with excellent organizational and planning skills
• Comfortable with ambiguity
• Sunny disposition and good sense of humor
• Driven to excel, and perform; not a 9-5 mentality
To apply for this position, click on this link https://jobs.lever.co/powerhive/7548531b-3c0c-4e6a-b1b1-dd46a57c505d