JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Our customer, a European group, is a leader in Agrochemicals in Africa. To support the strong growth of its African subsidiary active in Crop Protection, they are looking for an Area Manager Southern Africa.
This is a stand alone position that will be reporting to the Africa Director. You will be responsible for the sale of the company's products via distributors (mainly) and B to B in your area.
You participate in the development of the commercial policy and implement it by developing your portfolio through an effective prospecting. You are the interface between your customers and the different departments of the company (technical, marketing ...).
On the lookout for opportunities and strength of proposal, you cultivate a real proximity with your customers.
Ideally, with a higher education, you have a proven experience in the agricultural sector (especially crop protection/fertilisers), and you master the techniques of negotiation and development of accounts for export.
This post is a great opportunity for an enterprising person with a strong interpersonal sense. Your rigor and your sense of organization will facilitate your success. Empathy, the ability to convince, creativity, the taste of the challenge and the result are abilities that you have acquired. Your analytical mind and your anticipation skills will be essential assets to succeed in this position.
This position, based in Southern Africa (location is flexible, also possible to work at the company's premises in South Africa), requires frequent travel to other Southern African countries and good command of English.
Are you interested in becoming an Area Manager Southern Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is an NGO that runs a large scale sustainability programme involving farmers, the private sector, civil society in building a mainstream commodity.
The overall objective of this role is to start up the East and Southern Africa Regional Office in line with the existing strategy and to support system change in farming in the region – making the cash crops better for the people who produce it, the environment it grows in and the sector’s future. The East and Southern Africa Regional Office will work closely with the headquarters office Implementation Team in the coordination and delivery of Country Plans that support the company's Strategy.
At the end of the project, the consultant will have delivered:
1. The establishment of a functioning, regional presence within budget
2. Improved capacity of implementing and strategic partners in the region
3. An assessment of the viability and reliability of existing and potential strategic partners
4. Processes and team fit for purpose to support ongoing work with global team
5. Strengthened the company’s presence in the region with cohesive, implementable workplans and workstreams
6. Advocacy for national embedding in at least two key countries yielding national-level in-kind and or budgetary support to local farmers accessing the Company.
Overall tasks and functions
This is a global project based in the designated region. The consultant will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Director of Implementation, and in collaboration with the global programme and country teams.
The consultant shall perform the following tasks:
• Based on the company's regional implementation strategy, work closely with implementation and strategic partners to ensure they are equipped to deliver high quality farmer capacity building programmes.
• Support and collaborate with the company's Standard and Assurance team on the execution of the Assurance Programme including:
• Training partners on the Assurance Programme and related data collection and following up on its submission according to Assurance Programme deadlines
• Planning and conducting field assessment visits throughout the season and following-up on improvement activities. Accountable for timely communication between implementation partner and Chain of Custody throughout the farming season
• Lead on the development and implementation of Country Plans for the region (Mozambique, South Africa, Madagascar, and eventual new countries) in collaboration with the Assurance Program Managers and Secretariat to enable delivery of the global strategy and goals
• Overseeing existing partnership agreements with implementation partners including monitoring of assigned budget and support on funding opportunities.
• Assist Implementation partners and regional stakeholders on external communications about the company
• Collaborate with the Demand and Fundraising team in creating marketing and funding opportunities for the company (e.g. local value addition projects within the region). Support regional fundraising activities both for Secretariat and regional office: provide recommendations of funders, support proposals developments
• Identify risks and opportunities related to the in-country programmes and ensure appropriate escalation to the Secretariat
• Participate in, and contribute to, the ongoing development of the Africa Strategy, and implementation, as part of the company's Africa Working Group.
The following methodology is proposed to ensure the success of the assignment:
• The consultant will have a joint briefing/inception meeting with Director of Implementation, and relevant company staff. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss and clarify expectations on the expected outcome and deliverables of the assignment.
• The consultant will prepare a work plan at the beginning of the assignment, with clear timelines and milestones.
• Literature review, field visits, and conversations with staff, Implementing Partners, and relevant members and stakeholders.
• The consultants will regularly, ideally bi-weekly, brief the project supervisor on the development of the project, including progress and challenges.
• At the end of the assignment, there will be a debriefing meeting with the project supervisor to discuss the outcome of the assignment and the way forward.
This position is based in a regional hub and the consultant will be expected to travel to country programs and company headquarters as needed.
The consultant will build regional operations from an existing small team of the existing regional coordinator for Southern Africa and Programme Officer and working closely with the strategic partners for the region.
Advanced University Degree (minimum Master’s Degree in sustainability, agriculture, international development or another related field).
• 10+ years of relevant experience in East and Southern Africa
• Experience in managing and developing teams
• Demonstrated experience in planning, design, preparation, and delivery of capacity building programmes
• Knowledge and/or experience with smallholder agriculture; knowledge of cash crop production or global commodity supply chains.
• Experience with voluntary sustainability standards a plus.
Skills and Attributes:
• Results oriented
• Effective communicator
• Excellent proven written and spoken English
• Swahili/Portuguese/other regionally relevant language skills desirable
• Strong oral and written communication English skills
• Must be able to travel at least one week per month equivalent. The length and locations will be determined based on available budget, identified priority areas, and capacity to support the visit by country teams.
Duration and remuneration
The duration of the assignment will be for 6-8 months
Are you interested in becoming a Regional Programme Start-up Consultant? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is pursuing poverty by supplying small holder farmers with agricultural inputs and selling their produce in domestic and export markets. The organisation develops innovative technologies for commercial development of crop processing.
The demand across Africa for cassava products is high and therefore we are currently recruiting a Technical Director for overseeing the first mobile processing site in Nampula, Mozambique.
In this role you will be responsible for first-hand hand knowledge of electrical- and mechanical systems within the (mobile) processing-, drying- and refinery units in order to process fresh cassava on-farm or nearby. You will be overseeing the maintenance and electrical- and mechanical installations of the whole site, responsible for training and supervising the team on site and that all operation is running well.
- Background in (both) Electrical- and Mechanical Engineering with some years of experience in maintenance in a high-speed production environment
- Strong knowledge of electrical and mechanical system installations and troubleshooting in a high-speed ánd rotational equipment (water pumps, turbines, drying equipment, gearboxes, compressors, engines and generators) and their design, installation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of PLC and industrial computers used to automate a machine or process
- Ability and/or experience of working in remote areas
- Work closely with technical operating staff and provide training for maintenance and use of mobile factory and machinery guidance
- English and preferably basic knowledge of Portuguese.
Are you interested in becoming a Technical Manager in Mozambique? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Location: Accra based, with frequent travels to North, South, West and Central Ghana
Area: FMCG/ Aquaculture/ Fresh produce
Size: +/-700 employees in total
For our client in the fish mongering industry, we are seeking a highly innovative Strategic Sales Manager. This person will help the company to develop and implement their growth strategy for the next few years.
The Sales Manager will help to meet the customer acquisition and revenue growth targets by keeping the company competitive and innovative. This person will be responsible for maximizing internal and regional sales team potential, crafting sales strategies and plans in line with the overall corporate strategy and justifying these to the management team.
• Being in charge of the five (5) regional sales depots in the country and making sure that they meet company’s base quality standards and are equipped and resourced to meet monthly sales targets.
• Achieve growth and hit sales targets by successfully managing the sales team
• Responsible for product development and diversification and brand awareness
• Development, implementation and execution of the growth strategy in existing- and new markets.
• Own recruiting, objectives setting, coaching and performance monitoring of sales representatives
• Present sales, revenue and expenses reports and realistic forecasts to Finance as well as the management team
• Identify emerging markets and market shifts while being fully aware of new products and competition status
• Working hand-in-hand with the Marketing Manager, Quality Assurance Manager and the Production Manager.
• BS/MS degree in business administration or a related field
• Successful previous experience in a strategic sales role, consistently meeting or exceeding targets
• Experience in the fast moving goods or agri/aquaculture/food sector and strong business sense and industry expertise
• Proven ability to drive the sales process from plan to close (growth strategy)
• Excellent mentoring, coaching and people management skills
• Excellent excel, word and PowerPoint skills
• Highly innovative
• High level analytical thinking and maths
Are you interested in becoming a Senior Sales Manager in Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
For our client with operations in West Africa, we are recruiting a Chief Operating Officer, that has to maintain control of all business operations, establish and implement clear policy in order to promote companies culture and vision. Optimize the financing of the business and set and monitor goals for performance, in order to expand the business.
Location: Accra, with 50% travel in West Africa
Reports to: CEO
Business: Agricultural, commodities, trade
• Excellent in English and French (preferably native speaker)
• Leader and communicator
• Outstanding organizational ability, (large organisations 800+)
• Good financial background
• Experience in Agriculture inputs and commodities business
• Work in close collaboration with the CEO
• Oversee daily operations activities
• Managing operating processes
• Implement effectiveness and efficiency in the operational processes
• Make sure the procedures and policies are in place and respected
• Assure that business targets will be achieved
• Responsible for co-defining and achievement of the financial targets (Budget)
• Insurance cove and risk management
• Debtors streamlining
• Innovative entrepreneur
• Open-minded and good in empowering teams
• Experience in the transformation of a business
Are you interested in becoming a COO West Africa in Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client is a well recognized and established company in Tanzania dealing in a wide range of businesses. We are looking to recruit a key manager for its Rice Estate.
Post: Rice Farm Manager
With over 8000 acres of rice farmland available with systematic flood irrigation, our client is on search for a Rice Farm Manager. This position is responsible for overseeing all processes in rice production meaning from plantation to harvest.
This exciting opportunity is suited to candidates looking for a challenging but rewarding work environment. The ideal candidate should at a minimum have the following experience:
- At least ten years experience in large scale rice farm management.
- Proven ability of lowering cost of production without lowering yield expectations thus increasing profit.
- Ability to manage, train and develop other field officers in achieving projected targets on yield.
- Proven Experience in production costs and stock control.
1) Directs and coordinates worker activities, such as land preparation, sowing, transplanting, maintaining, irrigation, chemical and fertilizer application, harvesting, grading, payroll, and recordkeeping.
2) Coordinates growing activities with those of engineering, equipment maintenance, storage and trading departments
3) Analyzes market conditions to determine acreage allocations.
4) Confers with purchasers and arranges for sale of crops.
5) Records information, such as production, farm management practices and prepares financial and operational reports.
6) Determines procedural changes in drying, grading, storage, and shipment for greater efficiency and accuracy.
7) Analyzes soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production.
8) Inspects equipment to ensure proper functioning.
9) Inspects orchards and fields to determine maturity dates of crops or to estimate potential crop damage from weather.
10) Plans and directs development and production of hybrid plant varieties with high yield or disease and insect resistant characteristics.
11) Advise on purchases of machinery, equipment, and supplies, such as tractors, seed, fertilizer, and chemicals.
12) Hires, discharges, transfers, and promotes workers.
13) Enforces safety regulations, and interprets policies.
14) Evaluates financial statements and makes budget proposals.
15) Undertake general management of non production related matters of the farm like cleanliness, and organization.
16) Draw up a budget for expenses and compare periodically and take corrective actions
17) Explore and discuss ways to improve efficiency in all operations
18) Should be responsible for maintaining relationship with various stakeholders in the industry.
19) Responsible for all farm staffs locating, training, and supervision
20) Responsible for day-to-day farm operational decisions
21) Act as a leader within the company
22) Reports to the General Manager and Resident Director
We are looking for a candidate of a practical nature, good team player, has plenty of energy and is able to work under pressure. English speaking and good communication skills would be an advantage.
Work permit, relocation and housing allowance will be included in this package for a successful candidate.
Are you interested in becoming a Rice Farm Manager in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Who We Are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. Headquartered in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 2.5 million trees with more than 8,500 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
The Forestry Innovation team at Komaza is charged with delivering excellence in everything from high-level forestry planning to detailed writing of technical best operating procedures. We work collaboratively with a broad network of Africa’s top forestry experts, and are passionate about using the latest technology from GIS mapping, to satellite imagery, and digital measurement tools.
About This Role
Historically, Komaza has relied heavily on external experts to provide technical forestry advice. As we scale, we’ve recognized that while Komaza can learn a lot from traditional plantation forestry, we will need to develop new strategies, standard operating procedures, and tools in order to better empower small-holder farmers. As Forestry Innovations Manager, you will lead our engagement with external experts while also working closely with the Field Operations, Nursery, and Harvest departments to trial, iterate upon, and scale new forestry methods that work for small-scale African farmers.
What You Will Do
- Lead our engagement with external researchers and experts to understand existing best practices in forestry - including site selection, species R&D, nursery operations, planting, growth, enumeration, and harvesting.
- Lead Komaza’s internal multi-departmental design process to create new methodologies, tools, and approaches to forestry activities across the value chain.
- Monitor, evaluate, and improve Komaza’s existing forestry practices across the value chain.
- Research forestry products and tools appropriate for small-holder farmers, trial them with small-holder farmers, and scale them.
- Build a small team of design and forestry specialists who can continue to grow our internal expertise in designing farmer-centered forestry best practices.
- Lead the creation of Komaza’s farmer and environmental impact evaluation methodology and execute that methodology.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry or other relevant scientific field required, Master’s Degree or above in a relevant field preferred.
- Experience working with small-holder farmers, experience with farmers in East Africa preferred.
- Experience with human/user-centered design, iteration, and product development.
- Experience conducting primary (not a literature review) forestry research preferred.
- Experience with the full forestry value chain (nursery to planting to growth to harvest to processing) a plus.
- Minimum of 2-5 years post-undergraduate, masters degree or full-time work in a forestry or agricultural context preferred.
- Equally comfortable in the office conducting literature reviews and in the field seeking feedback directly from farmer focus groups.
- Flexible and self-motivated with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done.
- Comfortable working in a company that acts and feels a lot like a startup (dynamic, unstructured, and frequently changing).
- Self-directed and intellectually curious - you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development.
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems.
What We Expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2 years. This role is based at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya for the foreseeable future. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Are you interested in becoming a Forestry Innovations Manager in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.
Position: Regional Agronomist, West Africa
Country/Regional Name: West Africa based in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Reporting to: Regional Director, Inputs and Agrochemicals
Our client, a leading global commodities merchant and sustainable supply chain management company, is seeking a technically strong and highly commercial agronomist with a strategic approach and entrepreneurial mindset to build up its agronomy division across West Africa.
We are looking for an expert in agronomy who will be a focus point internally for agrochemicals and sustainability programmes to manage our clients crop’s itinerary (products and good agricultural practices). S/he will also be responsible for business development / managing relationships with key external stakeholders e.g. clients, ministries, technical institutions. The postholder must be fluent in both French and English.
The Regional Agronomist will be an individual with extensive practical agronomy experience. This could be experience either agronomically manage plantations for tree crops or dealing with small holder farmers on the agronomy side. S/he will have to demonstrate commercial knowledge to be able to improve agronomic interventions and also provide commercial support to such interventions.
The Regional Agronomist role is a cross- business and functional role and is responsible for a wide variety of interventions:
- Responsible of crop’s itineraries in terms of:
o Products portfolio
o Good agricultural practices
o Protocols for demo, development research trials, etc
o Product’s registration (national and with private standards)
o Responsible of the regulatory and development budget
o Signing off any technical information released internally and externally
- Create and manage demo plot to demonstrate impact of our agrochemical Crop Doctor Products. Also create and manage demo plots for other businesses
- Support and develop technical content to be used in products and services distribution to farmers;
- Technical lead for Farm management services business that is being developed in West Africa region;
- Create a top quality agronomy team that provides best in class support to our client's businesses in West Africa and ensure it alignment with the company’s business strategy;
- Partner with SMS Advisory Services, SMS Farm management Services and Crop Doctor business
- Manage the continuous innovation processes incl. monitoring for new technologies, particularly with rural practices
- Effectively report on new experiments and findings to build a consistent knowledge base across the WAF region;
- Build and own relationships with external agronomy research institutions;
- Build and develop relations with large plantation owners and with other businesses to create a shared knowledge bank.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
● Post graduate degree in agriculture/ agronomy
● Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the agribusiness sector
● Work experience in the agrochemicals sector, farmer training and support and/ or innovation of new products in the West African environment, highly advantageous
● Excellent technical agronomic and commercial skills
● Equally strategic whilst willing and able to be hands on in the field
● Ability to travel extensively within West Africa
● Fluent in French and English
Are you interested in becoming a Regional Agronomist West Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.