JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Report to: Chief Program Officer
Language Requirement: Fluency in English
Travel: Frequent travel to Mtwara and possibly other regions within TZ
Qualified Tanzanian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply
International candidates must have existing rights to work in Tanzania
myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise based in West Africa. We have pioneered a mobile savings model that allows farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and agricultural training to increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. Our North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty. Learn more from myAgro’s founder and CEO here.
About this Role
myAgro is seeking seasoned but hands-on leaders to oversee the execution of myAgro’s long-term program strategy in Tanzania. Tanzania is an integral part of myAgro’s operations, and we have big plans for expansion and impact in the coming years: increasing our impact, reaching new geographic areas, innovating on our current models, and preparing myAgro to serve as a model for organizations reaching smallholder farmers around the globe. The Country Director - Tanzania will provide critical operational leadership to myAgro’s Tanzania program as we grow, ensuring our operations run smoothly and efficiently as we scale to reach tens of thousands more farmers in the coming years.
The Country Director - Tanzania is responsible for the administration of our core program (including developing key operational processes to increase efficiency during a period of rapid growth), as well as pilot development, program budgeting, M&E, management of the current 20-person team and growing the team to 100+, and more. As a member of myAgro’s Executive Team, s/he will also make critical contributions to myAgro’s long-term strategic direction. S/he will report to myAgro’s Chief Program Officer.
myAgro’s Tanzania program is an exciting expansion of myAgro’s original work in Mali and Senegal. The Tanzania program works through partnerships with Savings Group networks. The Tanzania program is also innovating on myAgro’s scratchcard layaway model by piloting a fully digital payments model leveraging Tanzania’s mobile money network. myAgro Tanzania’s pilot region and current 20-person team is based in Mtwara. myAgro anticipates establishing a Dar es Salaam based headquarters for its Tanzania operations in order to manage both partnerships in the southeast and northwest. The Country Director would be expected to spend significant time in Mtwara at the beginning of the role, and then frequent travel after orientation.
myAgro is a startup social enterprise with plans for rapid and substantial growth. The ideal Country Director candidate will have an outstanding track record managing complex projects and diverse teams, developing innovative programs, and serving in an organizational leadership capacity during a period of rapid scale or transition. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable working on a limited budget, will have a highly entrepreneurial mindset, and will be comfortable “getting their hands dirty” when required.
Key Goals for Next 2 Years for Tanzania
Scale – grow from 400+ farmer pilot to 20,000+ farmers in the next 2 years, including piloting and growing a 2nd Savings Group network partnership.
Impact – Work with sales and agriculture teams to sell packages that increase farmers’ income towards myAgro’s goal of $550 on average per farmer (this will increase farmer income by $1.50 per day to move them to middle income poverty levels.)
Sustainability – Increase financial sustainability of field program through improved systems, processes and efficient staffing ratios supported by excellent training and supervision.
Organizational capacity: Recruit, train, and invest in the professional development of strong Tanzanian leadership in all key departments.
Strategy and Sharing Vision
Determine key Tanzania goals and major strategic decisions with the Tanzania team, the Chief Program Officer, and executive team.
With myAgro senior leadership, develop program strategy, targets and milestones to achieve myAgro’s ambitious goals.
Develop tools, trainings, dashboards for sharing the strategy, goals, objectives with the Tanzania teams and regularly reinforce progress, remove bottlenecks and implement strategy.
Produce and present regular progress and management reports to myAgro’s Senior Management Team and Board of Directors.
Share and incorporate feedback from team in developing vision, communication process, etc.
Build partnerships with key stakeholders in East Africa and beyond.
Financial Health and Reporting
Lead budgeting and operational planning to ensure program goals are met cost effectively and on time.
With Finance Director, ensure monthly finance reports for operations are accurate and on-target.
Ensure compliance with national and local financial management standards, and ensure efficient annual audits are carried out.
Support decentralization of budgeting at the Project Assistant level.
Support fundraising efforts through reporting, hosting donor visits, contributing to grant proposals, participating or leading meetings with new donors as necessary
Oversee development and implementation of an HR performance management and incentive structure in-line with myAgro’s budget and HR laws in Tanzania (including forecasting and planning towards hiring to replace those nearing end of contracts).
Work with Policy team to develop or support a government strategy of sharing myAgro’s work, getting buy in and developing potential opportunities (on a case by case basis).
Develop pilots and manage M&E to continually improve myAgro’s model and impact.
Security and health oversight for team and general security for the office(s) and field staff.
Manage current team of 20+ local staff and near-future team of 100+ to deliver a consistent, high quality program throughout the country.
Meet weekly with your direct reports to coach, guide and give feedback.
Go to the field weekly to observe activities in process. Anticipate spending several weeks at a time in Mtwara during key season periods. Anticipate significant time in northwest developing new partner pilot.
Develop a bar for quality execution through field and office leadership.
Manage your team’s workload and performance with regular reviews, evaluations, raises, promotions, probations, firings as needed.
Cultivate the values and culture of myAgro throughout the organization.
English proficiency required
A minimum of 10 years professional work experience with at least 3 years in an organizational leadership role. Preferably your background is a mix of non-profit and corporate roles, with experience implementing projects in developing countries.
You’ve planned, managed and executed a large budget.
You’ve built effective relationships with external stakeholders from the private and/or public sector.
You’ve utilized KPIs, or similar metrics, to manage and direct an organization towards success.
You’ve managed staff and demonstrated strong facilitation and training skills.
Additionally, you should possess the following:
Passion for myAgro and our mission - the needs and realities of the farmers we serve are our top priority
Excellent interpersonal communication skills (both written and verbal)
Organized and an efficient work style – able to consistently exceed expectations when dealing with farmers, team members, partners and donors
Exceptional creative problem-solving skills - work effectively in a challenging and resource-constrained environment.
Comfortable making decisions in the face of ambiguity
Comfort in a fast-paced, high demand environment in a developing country
Flexibility, a sense of humor, an open mind, and a diligent work ethic are necessary for success
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Reporting to the CEO, the Commercial Director heads the Commercial Department which is responsible for the promotion and sales of all the Company’s products and growing the brand of the company.
The Commercial Director is required to have and demonstrate at all times these key characteristics:
1. Drive volume and sales growth in the current markets of focus and expansion into new markets
2. Lead, support and oversee the Agri (Animal Feed and Poultry) and Consumer goods (Dressed Chicken) sales team to ensure they achieve the goals and objectives (hard and soft)
3. Plan and execute an effective and efficient marketing campaign and Route to Market strategy in order to significantly grow the market share in both the Agri and Consumer Goods sectors
4. Maintain excellent customer relations and market intelligence (both at consumer and competitor level)
5. Build strong sales teams and be a valued member of the Executive Leadership.
• Develop, implement and oversee the sales and marketing strategic plan
• Compile sales volumes and sales price targets for the various products and monitor and drive sales throughout the year to attain the targets set.
• Ensure that the sales teams and sales support teams are knowledgeable about their products and markets, are fully motivated and energized, and are adequately trained
• Identify export opportunities and work towards achieving steady growth in regional markets
• Manage customer relations in the best way possible, ensuring quality service, as well as building a comprehensive and detailed customer database
• Manage relations with relevant government ministries and departments whose policies and regulations can impact the business
• Build up and provide direction to the marketing team to ensure that the company's brands are leading the market
• Keep management and board well-informed about the livestock market - market trends, competitor activity & pricing, performance of the products, opportunities and threats.
• Good working knowledge of finance to effectively manage budgets and optimise product margins
• Ensure sales staff comply with SOPs
• Manage all social media channels, activities etc.
• Any other duties that may be assigned to you
Education and Professional qualifications
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a senior position with direct P&L responsibility in a company with over $15 million of annual sales
• A relevant degree in Sales and Marketing with an MBA being an added advantage.
• Prior training in Professional Selling Skills and in Customer Care is an added advantage.
• Prior experience in live stock sector a plus but not essential
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Hard working, persuasive and ability to work under pressure.
• Quick decision making and highly intelligent.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Leadership skills with experience of managing a large staff complement
• Flair for sales
• Excellent communication skills
• Technology and Social Media savvy
• Value adding and creative (willingness to go an extra mile for the company, staff & customers).
• Enthusiastic, passionate and encouraging to all.
• Strong commitment to the goal and vision of the company.
• Results driven.
• Company policy, systems and procedures
• The company's Corporate image and Brand
Are you interested in becoming a Commercial Director in Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Who We Are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. By combining high-scale operations with digital intelligence, we are currently planting commercial-grade forests at a rate of over 1 million trees with 5,000+ new farmers per year, making us Kenya’s largest industrial tree planter. We hold the only sustainable blueprint for meeting Africa’s $30B wood supply crisis - by leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access nearly limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations.
We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including The Climate Policy Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Forbes, and Novastar Ventures.
About The Team
Komaza’s Sales team is responsible for taking our wood products to market and getting the best returns for our farmers’ hard work. We build long-term relationships and go the extra mile to close deals and meet our customers’ needs. We continuously share customer feedback and market trends with the wider Komaza team, to help set us up for future success. With our incoming harvests scaling by a factor 100 over the next 5 years and plans to introduce numerous new products, the coming years will be particularly exciting!
About This Role
The Sales Director will build and lead Komaza’s Sales team to rapidly scale untreated and treated wood product sales in Coastal Kenya, and plywood and sawn timber in Central Kenya. You own the Sales strategies, build and maintain key relationships, close big deals, and make the team successful. You are the voice of the customer in the company leadership team and rally the rest of the company to be extremely customer-centric next to farmer-centric.
What You Will Do
- Oversee Komaza’s Coastal and Central Kenya Sales teams, supporting them in developing work plans, and motivating them to go above and beyond
- Create long-term sales growth plans, based on solid logic and analysis, and a strong understanding of both market and operational realities
- Improve Komaza’s offering in the market by building and maintaining excellent understanding of relevant customer segments, competition, and internal strengths
- Build awareness and preference for Komaza’s products in the market through targeted cost-effective marketing and a superior customer experience
- Work with the Sales Design team and other departments to develop and continuously improve both strong systems and internal controls
- Support the introduction of new products by providing ideas and feedback from the field and running strategic sales pilots in collaboration with the Product Strategy team
- Oversee the onboarding of new key accounts while maintaining strong trust relationships with existing accounts. Continuously identify and cultivate relevant relationships across Kenya and East Africa
What You Have
- Master’s degree in Business, Economics, or related field
- Between 6-10 years of working experience, with direct sales experience and at least 4 years in a commercial management role
- Experience in the timber industry is a plus
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Experience working and living in Kenya
- Fluent English required; fluency in Swahili and local languages is a plus
How you Work
- Communicate clearly and proactively
- Demand results with strong ability to motivate and create a positive energy in the team
- Manage projects in a structured way using plans, budgets, and tools
- Be on the front lines, building relationships with customers and team members
- Leverage CRM software and GSuite tools to optimize productivity
- Positive, flexible and adaptable with the ability to make changes in the Sales department as the commercial strategy develops
- Highly sociable and able to build strong relationships with a diverse range of potential customers
- Quick to grasp things, see relationships, and deduct insights from challenges and opportunities faced in the field
- Master of self-management; able to run with instructions independently while being trusted to deliver and to seek feedback when needed
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development
What we Expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2 years. This role is either based at our headquarters in Kilifi or at our Nairobi office with regular trips to Kilifi. Significant travel of approximately 50% will be required within Kenya for lead generation, new and existing customer meetings, and internal team meetings. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with significant potential for further career growth.
Are you interested in becoming a Sales Director in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.
The Trainee Grower is responsible for good quality mother stock and cuttings
• Ensures that department has up to date information on the growing process and aligns processes accordingly.
• Ensures that the mother stock is ready according to plan and in good quality and that it has the agreed factor to harvest.
• Effective and efficient labour management.
• Accountable for (cost) control on growing processes.
His or her key Contacts are the Managing Director, Operations Manager, Human Resource manager, Planners, Export & logistics, Quality Assurance Manager, irrigation Team leader, Crop supervisors and production manager. Personnel reporting to the Trainee Grower are Irrigators and sprayers.
Manages the following fields
• Growing processes
• Meet delivery performance
• Elite & Propagation success rate to be obtained as set and how to increase / improve the higher the percentage the lower costs / space etc
• Disease and Pest Management.
• Ensure good housekeeping standards (6S)
• Labour Management
• Managing Departmental Costs
Education / Professional Experience
• Graduate or Diploma in Horticulture, floriculture, Agriculture or Crop Protection.
• Experience in a flower farm in the same capacity.
• Project management skills.
• Excellent leadership skills and management skills
• Languages: English skills & preferably Kiswahili skills
Are you interested in becoming a Trainee Grower in East Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Position Type: Division Head
Reports to: Managing Director
Our client is one of the largest poultry companies in West Africa. For their broiler section they are looking for a Commercial Broiler Manager.
The Commercial Broiler Manager is responsible for the following tasks:
1. Commercial broiler production
2. Meat processing
3. Marketing and Sales
Required academic and professional qualitfications:
• Master in Business Administration, Agriculture, Food Processing related subject
• Certifications in relevant management topics are a bonus (veterinary science; health, safety and environment; human resources; production and process improvement etc.)
• At least 10 years of experience in poultry production and processing, with exposures to all three areas of the job (broiler production, meat processing, sales and marketing)
• Emerging market experience preferably in Africa, alternatively in other markets with tropical climatic and business conditions
• Housing can be in Lagos (Ikeja) or Ibadan with regular 2-3 day trips (incl. overnight stays) in area of operation
• Housing in residential area (lagos, Ikeja or Ibadan) will be provided, includes all services, electricity, water
• Provision of personal steward for cleaning and cooking
• Provision of company car (Toyota Corolla) with personal driver
• International Health Insurance package
• 30 days of paid vacation
• One economy class flight home for annual leave, includes family
• Local allowance of ca. USD 1,000 per month (in local currency)
• USD salary for monthly savings of USD 4,000 to 5,000 per month, depending on experience and qualification of candidate
Are you interested in becoming a Commercial Broiler Manager in Nigeria? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Reporting - Managing Director South Africa & Director AS & FS Region EMEA
Office - Office in Johannesburg,
Region - South Africa, but also Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, Angola & Madagascar (= Area "Sub Sahara")
- Service Responsibility in Region, Business Development Service "Sub Sahara"
- Leading by example & being the 1st service technician/service sales employee in region (development of new business)
- Leading about 4 employees plus subcontractors
- Improvement and Development of service organization in area "Sub Sahara"
- Decision about how to cover all countries in region with service (employees or subcontractors)
- Service focus: housing equipment for poultry, laying hens but also pig
- Technical knowledge, a service background, experience in agriculture business and managing employees strongly preferred
- Fluency in English
Are you interested in becoming a Manager After-Sales & Field Service South Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Reporting Director Sales MEA & Head of Region EMEA
Office - Office planned close to our customers in Senegal or Ivory Coast (6 -12 months initial training in Europe)
Region - Mainly West Africa (NOT Maghreb and NOT west of Niger/Nigeria)
- All Sales Activities in West Africa
- In the future it is planned to establish an office close to our customers (e.g. in Senegal or Ivory Coast)
- Introducing all housing equipment to existing and new customers in the region (also development of new business)
- Sales focus: housing equipment for poultry & laying hens (pig only subordinately)
- Supporting sales agents in the region
- Detailed explanation of the technical products to customers
- Business Development and Sales Expansion in Area West Africa, developing & implementing sales and marketing strategy
- New position
- Sales focus: housing equipment for poultry & laying hens (pig only subordinately)
- Technical knowledge (in laying hens and in poultry), experience in agriculture business and sales experience strongly preferred
- Motivated and driven sales person
- Fluency in English and French
Are you interested in becoming a Sales Manager West Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Reporting - Director Sales MEA & Head of Region EMEA
Office - Located in Egypt (6 months initial training in Europe)
Region - Egypt, Lybia and Sudan
- Sales and Service Focus in Region, Business Development in Sales Area Egypt, Lybia and Sudan
- In the future it is planned to establish an office in Egypt and new sales employees are planned to be recruited in countries listed above
- Leading by example & being the 1st sales manager in region (development of new business)
- Leading a few sales and service employees and growing (no Office = no admin functions)
- Improvement and Development of organization in Egypt, Lybia and Sudan
- Decision about how to cover all countries in region with sales and service (employees/agents or subcontractors)
- Sales focus: housing equipment for poultry & laying hens NO pig
- Introducing all housing equipment to existing and new customers in region (also development of new business)
- Detailed explanation of the technical products to customers
- New position
- Experience in agriculture business, technical knowledge and a sales background a must, experience in managing employees preferred
- Fluency in Arabic and also English language skills
Are you interested in becoming a General Manager Egypt? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.