ABOUT EXPAT JOBS AT Mutanda Lake Resort
Mutanda Lake Resort
JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Vacancy for Lodge Management Mutanda Lake Resort Lake Mutanda, Kisoro (near Bwindi & Mgahinga NP), Uganda
We are looking for a management couple who can ensure a high-quality experience for our guests. Are you a dynamic, friendly, outgoing, responsible and service-oriented couple with Africa experience (preferably in Uganda), who would love to live and work in the outdoors? Then you might be the couple we are looking for!
Perched on a peninsular on Lake Mutanda in the shadow of the Virunga Mountains, the resort offers comfortable accommodation combined with outstanding views. It is a perfect base for gorilla trekkers, lake loungers, volcano hikers and bird lovers, as well as those looking for a mystical place in nature.
Mutanda Lake Resort is a mid-range lodge, which is close to both Bwindi Impenetrable and Mgahinga National Parks, both of which are blessed with the endangered Silverback Mountain Gorillas. Our region is one of Uganda’s most visited tourist destinations.
Our 16-room lodge allows our guests to immerse themselves in nature, and to privately enjoy the sounds and scenery of the lake. The self-contained cabins allow for a maximum capacity of 36 guests at any one time. We currently have 20 full-time employees supporting the running of the lodge.
Mutanda Lake Resort is located in one of the most beautiful places on planet earth. However, it is also very isolated. The management couple we are looking for must therefore be able to live in nature and to live with nature. You typically love hiking, swimming, exploring and walking the dogs to be able to enjoy your job for a minimum of 2 years. We prefer couples who are used to living far away from city life.
Your relationship with both the staff and the local community is very important to us. For that reason we prefer couples who know how it works here and who have lived in East-Africa (preferably Uganda) before. You are a good
communicator and you love people.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Overseeing and coordinating day-to-day operations.
• Daily and monthly financial management.
• Prepare and communicate monthly management reports.
• Organize product procurement and delivery; stock management.
• Development and implementation of marketing activities and guest activities.
• Manage bookings and communicate with tour operators, travel agents and guests.
• Maintain and enhance customer relations (expanding clientele) and reputation.
• Procure gorilla permits from the Uganda Wildlife Authority
HR & Staff
• Drive and motivate staff. Lead by example in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
• Maintain a safe, harmonious, enjoyable work place environment.
• Staff recruitment, staff rosters, performance reviews, staff leave.
• Design and execute staff trainings.
• Ensure to deliver a memorable experience for all guests.
• Offer a visible presence and support our guests throughout their stay.
• Inspire staff to exceed our guests’ expectations.
• Resolve and handle potential guest complaints.
Food & beverage
• Ensure excellent food and beverage quality and presentation.
• Monitor menu choices, and ensure our chefs are well supported.
• Manage the supply chain and oversee ordering and procurement.
• Oversee service at meal times.
Property & community
• Perform quality checks. Enforce compliance with quality, health and safety standards.
• Monitor proper maintenance and oversee renovations/construction projects as necessary.
• Keep good and positive relationships with the local community, district leaders, police, other (tourism) businesses and authorities in Kisoro.
What we are looking for:
Skills & knowledge
• Degree and/ or experience in hotel management or leisure & hospitality.
• Proven work experience in East Africa for at least one year.
• A minimum of 2 years of management experience, preferably in a comparable setting.
• Leadership skills and attitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
• Excellent communication skills, experience with online marketing is a plus.
• General knowledge of Uganda and East Africa.
• Independent, self-driven, responsible, and able to keep on top of your responsibilities even under pressure.
• Hands-on mentality, with the right ‘do what it takes’ attitude to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Service oriented with a business mindset.
• Respectful awareness of local culture.
• Positive, friendly, with an open-minded attitude towards all guests, staff and partners of the lodge.
• Creative and resourceful, even in the event of unexpected situations.
• Great eye for detail in order to provide impeccable service and thoughtful surprises.
• We are recruiting couples only (individual applications will not be considered).
• Availability from September 05th 2019, and willing to work at Mutanda Lake Resort for a minimum of 2 years. Each additional year after 2 years will be appreciated by a bonus.
• Comfortable with working 7 days a week (beside vacations).
• Able to live in a remote area.
• Fluency in English (written/spoken), knowledge of other languages is a plus.
• Driver’s license (preferably for both)
• Respect and concern for wildlife and conservation.
• First aid training (beneficial)
What we offer
• A fantastic workplace and the opportunity to shape the service delivery in the region
• One international flight per person, annually.
• A 3 month trial period with a compensation which is in line with market practice
• A work permit (if needed) after the trial period has been successful.
• Monthly salary (experience dependent), agreed once probation period is complete. (This is in line with market practice, as are the terms and conditions governing it).
• Daily meals and drinks.
• A 4-week paid leave in the low season and several shorter leaves during the season to make up for your 7-day work week.
• Back-up support and guidance from the owners.