ABOUT EXPAT JOBS AT JobnetAfrica
JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Reporting to the COO the Technical Manager provides leadership and direction for the Maintenance and Repair Team, ensuring all equipment and facilities operate at their optimum level of safety, reliability, availability & efficiency.
The Technical Manager is responsible for:
• Compliance with local HSSE policies & procedures, enforcing safe working practices and promoting a safe workplace. Promoting the delivery of continuous improvement and constant drive towards incident free operations. Ensuring the development and adoption of best practices and ways of working developed through controlled management of change. Preserving energy efficiency by using natural resources effectively and efficiently, protecting the natural environment.
• Providing leadership and strategy to Equipment Managers and specialists, and consistently ensuring that service of the highest quality is delivered to customers.
• Defining and tracking global and local KPIs and targets whilst reporting deviations from targets, developing improvement actions where necessary.
• Deploying the machinery, procedures and workforce needed to accomplish the operational plan, working closely with all support functions to ensure stability and high productivity levels, and encouraging the use of new processes, procedures and technology to enhance operational performance and efficiency.
• Developing and managing 5-year M&R business plan for terminal.
• Implementing global maintenance strategies for all terminal and facilities maintenance, considering local legislation and variances.
• Performing medium and long-term planning for asset purchase, refurbishment and disposal to maintain overall asset integrity and ensure achievement of operational targets, considering total cost of ownership.
• Accountable for the integrity of all terminal assets, facilities and infrastructure.
• Ensuring inspections, surveys and audits are performed as required on all assets.
• Ensuring all operational and technical risks are identified, reviewed and suitable mitigations are put in place.
• Ensuring inspections, surveys and audits are performed as required on all assets.
• Identifying and managing M&R resource requirements for the next 5 years, aligned with operational and commercial forecasts.
• Efficiently deploying the equipment, procedures and human resources necessary to accomplish local operational plans.
• Building a strong team by attracting and retaining talent through the provision of effective overall management, supervision, coaching, mentoring and support for all direct reports.
• Creating and sustaining an environment that is supportive of learning, training and development, whilst facilitating open dialogue and communications.
• Reinforcing the company culture, values & reputation and ensuring compliance with policies, standards and procedures.
• Supporting Global M&R Operating System and maintaining regular contact with peers.
• Managing local budgets and developing business cases, and technical equipment reports.
• Approving and authorizing local expenditures and developing cost estimations pertaining to technical equipment maintenance and repair.
• Assist the Global Head of M&R to develop and manage the Maintenance & Repair Department budget in accordance with the company’s business strategy.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• Minimum university degree in engineering or relevant field.
• Five years’ experience leading maintenance and repair departments.
• Excellent organization skills, including planning, directing and monitoring activities.
• Good problem-solving skills, with an ability to define the problem, identify solutions and select the best solution.
• A “walk the shop floor” approach to problem solving.
• Experience in productivity optimization through process optimization.
• Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to empower others to take action.
• Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across the local organization.
• Strong interpersonal skills able to build relationships and manage multiple stakeholders' interests toward a common business benefit.
• Able to exercise discretion and good judgment, with an ability to understand the overall effect of decisions taken, both locally and company-wide.
• Able to handle confidential company and employee information with complete discretion.
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills, including the ability to consider complex and ambiguous situations objectively, whilst applying full consideration of causes, implications on business and stakeholders.
• Fluent in English.
• Knowledge of local Safety, Health and Environment workplace regulations.
• Strong knowledge in computer skills and professional programs (i.e.: Microsoft Office, Database, EPR/CMMS systems).
• Knowledge and experience in quality management and customer satisfaction principles.
Our client is an equal opportunity employer, and also encourages women to apply for this role.
If you are interested in this position, please apply above or below.
Our client in West Africa is looking for a Chief Operations Officer.
Reporting to the Managing Director / CEO, the Chief Operations Officer will be responsible for creating and maintaining a terminal operational strategy that ensures a safe working environment, meets agreed service levels and is cost-efficient. The Chief Operations Officer is a member of the terminal senior management team and has a direct influence on the further growth and development of the terminal. He/ She oversee the operations of the organisation with a goal to meeting business goals and projections. The COO is expected to provide measurable input to the terminals business strategy within the limits of the role.
The position is responsible for:
• Setting and delivering the main operational initiatives which are within the strategy of the terminal.
• Establishing and implementing current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies of port operations and expansions.
• Providing leadership and direction for the Port/Terminal operations and taking responsibility for effective management and safety of all operations staff.
• Improving the quality of existing operational processes and methods on an ongoing basis, by providing input for effective local strategies for operating at optimal levels.
• Ensuring operational processes comply with HSSE policies & procedures.
• Playing a leading role in selection, negotiation and finalization of agreements with suppliers & customers including execution and maintenance of SLA’s.
• Liaising with customs agents, trucking companies, customs, port authorities, etc. to ensure that their requirements are met.
• Setting and achieving the budget for the reporting functions.
• Ensuring that the terminal adheres to the company’s Global standards on process and people development.
• Motivating, coaching and instructing all operational team members. Structuring tasks and goals, establishing efficient courses of action, setting priorities, organising information, efficiently, planning and executing daily tasks.
• Supporting programs and initiatives that emphasise incremental improvement in work process and outputs over an open-ended period of time.
• Liaising with labor unions and on behalf of the company taking part in long-term contract negotiations with labor unions. Ensuring industrial harmony with the workforce.
• Measuring and reporting on operational performance and developing plans to improve relevant key performance indicators
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• Minimum university degree in logistics, maritime and port, or process/industrial engineering.
• Completed post-graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies is desirable.
• Minimum 7-year experience in operations management roles in the port and maritime industry, manufacturing, aviation or similar.
• Solid understanding of the container shipping industry end-to-end and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers.
• Experience in cost and productivity optimisation through process optimisation, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
• Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations and terminal management systems.
• Extensive knowledge of Terminal Operating Systems
• Fluent in English and preferably also in the local language
• Experience in finance related matters, setting budgets and reporting against financial objectives.
• Ability to meet objectives while promoting a team environment and developing people.
• Lean knowledge and leadership
• Build Effective Teams
• Problem Solver mindset
• Effective Negotiation Skills
• Conflict Management
• Effective Communication Skills
• Customer Centricity
Our client is an equal opportunity employer, and also encourages women to apply for this role.
If you are interested in this position, please apply above or below.
The CEO is a first member of the team for the port project, and serves as a strategic partner and advisor to the client’s management team and Director – Global Investments. As the CEO the candidate will set-up and provide leadership and direction to the (project) team responsible for delivering the services under the Concession Agreement, and manage the day-to-day affairs of the company including but not limited to construction, financial, operational, administrative, community relations, and customer creation and service. The CEO will be the primary contact point between all port-related government bodies.
The right candidate is an engaging and focused leader who leverages best practice management skills to maximize team performance. As an individual the CEO is highly adaptive and excels in a dynamic environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directing functions & performance
• Sets up & Leads the local team in management of day-to-day affairs of the company.
• Ensures that all managers are up to date with the concession related terms.
• Oversees annual budget requirements, approving budget guidelines, with end accountability for the achievement of both budget and financial goals of the organization in accordance with the business plan and updated financial model.
2. Contract Management
• Ensures that all company activities are carried out in commercial, technical, operational compliance with the concession agreement, projects agreements, financing agreements, service agreements and agreed business plan.
• Interfaces with all major contractors and vendors to achieve the agreed performance output as contracted.
• Ensures all contractual obligations of the company are fully met.
• Secures appropriate long-term service contracts.
• Seeks opportunities to enhance the popularity of the port and increase the project’s revenue potential.
3. Communication & Liaison
• Builds and actively manages relationships with all stakeholders.
• Represents the organization with the shareholders, the financial community and the public including the media.
4. Developing the business strategy
• Provides the vision, leadership and direction for the company. Establishes short and long-term goals, objectives, plans and policies, subject to approval by the client’s management.
• Develops the commercial strategy for approval by the client’s management.
• Develops and manages the business plan and annual operating plan.
5. Recruitment and Development
• Recruits / manages the local Senior Management team, and provides mentoring/guidance to senior managers.
• Implements a relevant performance management system.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• At least fifteen (15+) plus years of working as an MD or CEO with experience in successfully managing concessions agreements and Oil & Gas/ off-shore terminal construction projects, in Ghana or West Africa.
• Extensive managerial and leadership knowledge, applying best practices to all sections of the business.
• Successful Track record of stakeholder management and dealing with senior authorities, bureaucrats and ministry level individuals.
• Excellent contacts with public authorities in Ghana.
• Must be able to demonstrate strong leadership and exceptional skills in building interpersonal relationships, including a high degree of tact, diplomacy and ability to influence.
• In-depth understanding of financial concepts, financial models and hands-on with the financial implications of the project implementation processes.
• Excellent business acumen, including project management skills.
• Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• A collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
• Advanced verbal and written communications skills in English in addition to effective interpersonal skills.
All applicants are required to submit to a complete background check and medical examination as a condition of employment. Only candidates that have successfully passed both checks will be eligible for employment.
If you’re interested in the position of CEO apply through this link.
Our client is a large civil engineering company and following a restructuring of their southern African business, there is a vacancy for the role of Director Advisory Group & Resident Director: Mozambique. The role is responsible to ensure profitability, sustainability and continuity of the Mozambique department. The appointment to the role will be for a period of two years. The role will be based in Maputo.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Director Advisory Group:
• Lead the allocated part of the Business Unit in order to ensure profitability, sustainability and continuity of the Business Line.
• Prepare and manage a realistic and ambitious annual budget for the AG, in line with corporate guidelines and in coordination with other relevant parts of the business.
• To be responsible for the successful achievement of annual targets for the Advisory Group as measured by the standard financial metrics (Profit & Loss), TIP and QHSE audits and revenue generation.
• Realise commercial goals by identifying opportunities in the market, in collaboration with the Chief Commercial Officer, and supporting sales initiatives and client relationship management.
• Supervise management of projects in close collaboration with all parties and stakeholders involved and work in close collaboration with the Director Operational Excellence to realise the goals set for the AG.
• Build, maintain and leverage a professional network of internal and external stakeholders or partners and represent the AG internally and externally.
• For their specific Advisory Group, the DAG is overall responsible for products, services and processes.
• Ensure efficient and effective operations by driving collaboration and network performance.
• Lead organisational development and changes and act as a role model for desired behaviours, live the core values.
• This position may include technical and commercial responsibilities in addition to AG management.
• Accountable for the sound governance of the Mozambican entity in terms of, inter alia, legal compliance, project execution and fiscal and tax obligation.
• Responsible for reputation management and incident and crisis management of the Mozambican entity.
• Responsible for the operational management of the Mozambican office, including support functions, ensuring local compliance to the company's policies and procedures.
• Responsible for the execution of Corporate Social Responsibility related activities in Mozambique.
• Prepare formal board resolutions.
• Act as the primary contact in the country, both internally and externally.
• Formulate the strategy and business plan of the AG and ensure implementation and follow-up.
• Collaboration with the Business Line Management team in the delivery of BL strategy.
• Promote culture transformation within the BL.
• Responsible for achieving working capital management targets and cash flow for the advisory group.
• Management and responsibility of overhead budget.
Internal Operations/Business Processes
• Compliance of AG activities with the companies’ procedures and BL guidelines.
• Drive change within the AG – ensuring engagement with new processes, procedures and Digital Way of Working.
• Accountable for the efficient and effective execution of projects and implements and integrates all relevant internal processes.
• Responsible for the submission of proposals to SA ROC.
• Responsible for the order and sales portfolio of the AG, maintaining order book levels (firm and potential) at target levels for the AG.
• Proactive Management of opportunities and leads.
• Co-ordination of the marketing activities if applicable.
• Ensure all client activity is recorded on CRM.
• Responsible for Client relations including maintaining or achieving client satisfaction.
• May be required to perform account management for named accounts within the Business Line.
• Manage employee resourcing including liaison with other AG’s to ensure capacity is available and/or utilised efficiently and effectively within Business Line and across BL borders.
• Responsible for team formation to fit market requirements, including recruitment, resource and succession planning.
• Development of employees - ensure development reviews are completed, training planned and followed up, knowledge is shared, and staff are encouraged to reach their full potential.
• Take overall responsibility for employee issues within the AG, including annual reviews, performance management, and welfare of employees.
• Facilitate engagement and communication within the AG.
• Work with DBU to ensure that opportunities for disciplined (targeted) collaboration across AGs are identified and achieved.
• Ensure sustainable financial performance.
• Ensure corporate governance and compliance of the entity.
• Drive culture transformation.
• Design and drive new strategies
• Deliver high margins
• Run an intact business
• Deliver exceptional customer service
• Represent the organisation externally
• Facilitate a collaborative culture
Minimum qualifications, skills and experience:
• Relevant technical or business degree.
• Post graduate qualification is advantageous.
• Professional registration is advantageous.
• (Recent) experience of managing part of a business and/or multi-disciplinary project teams with line, profit & loss, commercial and contracts responsibilities.
• Entrepreneur with clear market drive, focus on clients and client network as well as on performance of the AG in this respect.
• Performance driven and achievement (results) oriented.
• Able to translate broad strategies into clear objectives and practical action plans.
• Client centric and a high level of business acumen.
• Stimulates collaboration across BLs.
• Cultural sensitivity.
• Supportive leader with coaching skills.
• Accountable and responsible.
• Able to use judgement and discretion effectively and appropriately.
• Excellent communication, facilitating and influencing skills.
• High level of integrity.
• Willing to travel to suit the requirements of the role.
Are you interested in becoming a Resident Director in Mozambique? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Main purpose of position
Currently we are looking for a Technical Development Manager in Oslo, Norway, to be part of the global team of our client, an international player in the renewable energy sector. We are seeking a driven and knowledgeable person to have an overall responsibility for managing and driving technical development for the company's projects.
◾ Lead and manage the development of technical solutions and concepts for the company's projects;
◾ Lead the time and resource planning for solutions and concepts;
◾ Be responsible for overall technical work-streams;
◾ Lead the development of contracting strategies and project execution in the first stages of project development;
◾ Establish execution models from a commercial perspective, together with our global procurement teams;
◾ Develop and manage a pool of in-house contracting and engineering competence;
◾ Review latest available technology for solar in your region;
◾ Technical university level degree, ideally mechanical or electrical engineering;
◾ 5 - 10 years professional experience in the renewable energy sector;
◾ Experience with overall management;
◾ Significant experience with cost and design optimization of large infrastructure projects;
◾ Good knowledge of main technical contract structures in the renewable energy industry;
◾ Experience in working with commercial teams in large infrastructure projects;
◾ Strong knowledge of technical aspects of renewable energy;
◾ Commercial mindset;
◾ Understanding of power markets and in particular renewable energy;
◾ Expert level of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including presentation software and Excel;
◾ Self-driven with ability to work under pressure and collaborate with multidisciplinary teams;
◾ Flexible and adaptable with a “can-do” attitude;
◾ Organized and methodical.
Prepared to travel extensively.
Are you interested in becoming a Technical Development Manager in Norway? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Job location: Nairobi preferred. Johannesburg, Perugia, London possible.
Chief Operations Officer Job Description
Our client is a fast-growing technology company delivering solutions to agribusinesses in emerging markets.
The COO role requires a dynamic and experienced professional to bring their expertise to the the company's C-Suite. As Chief Operating Officer you will oversee the short-term performance and execution of the commercial strategy of the company, as well as supporting the continuous development of key business units ranging from design to procurement, project management and sales and marketing.
At high level, you will oversee supply chain management, project development and execution, and take full account for budget and commercial performance. You will provide leadership to the operational team, developing and executing on operational controls and management systems, ensure effective internal communications among the global team and network of stakeholders, and work with the C-Suite and Board to develop strategy and ensure operational cost-effectiveness.
This role will offer a competitive remuneration package, management autonomy and opportunities to build and develop a dynamic and growing business in emerging markets.
Key Responsibilities of the Chief Operations Officer:
• Developing, implementing and overseeing the operational budget
• Developing organisational capabilities and improvement of systems and resources for project development and delivery
• Developing, together with staff and C level peers, sales, sourcing and delivery strategies
• Developing operational excellence in the design, management and execution of commercial cold chain projects, including sourcing, incoming and outgoing logistics, sourcing, manufacturing, certification and compliance.
• Developing, together with staff and C level peers, new business lines and service models from concept and testing to productization and scale.
• Developing and ensuring the delivery of after-sales services.
• Ensuring continuous operational performance improvement by managing changes to strategy, structure and resources
• Responsible for supplier selection, acquisition, contracting, and management both for procurement and after sales
• Manages sales, design, procurement, logistics, project management and after sales staff
• Development and oversight of ERP systems, performance monitoring and reporting standards
• Ensuring operational adherence to applicable industry practice and
• Responsible for health and safety within the Company and suppliers’ compliance
• Responsible for product and projects regulatory compliance to standards, norms and practices in the industry
Who You Are
• A strong leader who thrives in a collaborative commercial environment.
• You are analytical and thorough in your approach to problems and opportunities, and instinctively bring structure to complex situations.
• Whatever the task, you constantly strive for excellence.
• You have a proven track record of driving growth and scale in commercial operations in emerging markets.
• You have a degree in business, finance or technology with 10+ years of experience in a senior operations management role, all of which has been gained in the agriculture, cold chain logistics or technology industry.
• You have at least 5 years of experience based in a relevant emerging market, ideally in Africa.
• You have a strong knowledge and understanding of the agri-food industry.
• You are skilled in organisational development, IT systems, personnel management, budget and resource management and strategic planning.
• You have strong business and commercial acumen with track record in dealing with B2B customers and supply chain partners.
• You have strong inter-personal communication skills, public speaking experience and an ability to lead and influence at an executive level.
• Desirable: A Master’s degree in supply chain, finance, business or engineering
• An ability and willingness to travel or relocate as required for the successful execution of the job will be important.
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Operating Officer in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Our client, a social enterprise, is seeking a highly qualified and experienced Head of Business Development and Partnerships to lead the company’s fastest-growing market segment. As Head of Business Development and Partnerships, you will be responsible for all aspects of global sales, growing their existing partnerships and opportunities in East Africa, and leading the business development strategy across Southern and West Africa.
You will lead a motivated team of regional managers and field-based sales associates across three country offices (Kampala, Nairobi, and Lilongwe), and will be responsible for growing, training and developing this team to deliver on the vision of expanding the reach of their impactful partnerships across Africa. You will report directly to the CEO as a key member of the Senior Management Team, contributing to overall company vision and strategy.
Lead pan-African business development strategy
o Develop, execute and iterate strategy to grow the company's footprint in Southern and Western Africa, ensuring a smooth and successful roll out with commercial partners in new countries
o Overcome obstacles that hinder growth such as logistical import barriers, product standards limitation and working through distributors to achieve maximum potential for growth and impact
Manage large portfolio of existing customers and partners
o Develop, execute and refine strategy to support and grow key partnerships and stakeholders across East Africa (Uganda, Kenya, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Tanzania)
o Maintain detailed and active information input on Salesforce platform
Provide leadership to the teams that drive sales and partnership development
o Build upon, support, and provide exceptional leadership to the existing sales and marketing teams, including strategy, targets, compensation and incentive structures
o Support team development by performing regular reviews and trainings, retaining high performing team members, and trouble-shooting low performing sales regions
5 or more years working in a senior management role within a progressive sales organization with strong, quantifiable results.
Experience working on the ground in Africa across commercial and non-governmental sectors in both sales and partnerships
Proven experience and a passion for motivating and leading teams to deliver on ambitious goals within a commercial sales environment
Required, experience managing a multi-cultural team
Advanced knowledge of Salesforce platform
Resilient and resourceful mindset, collaborative nature, entrepreneurial spirit
Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English)
Passion for social development and economic growth in Africa
Willingness to work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends) and to travel within and outside Africa (min. 50% travel)
Flexibility with shifting priorities and competing demands in a fast-paced, challenging work environment
Commitment to the company's mission and social objectives
The compensation package is commensurate with experience. A 2-year contract upon signing, with opportunity for performance-based extension.
Are you interested in becoming a Head of Business Development and Partnerships in Kenya or Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
1. POSITION DETAILS
Job Title Electrical Installation Supervisor
2. PURPOSE STATEMENT
To be, as part of the Release site team, responsible for site operations related to electrical works and interconnection, including installation and connection, start up and testing of the plants
Also includes all work from progress to quality, as well as HSE, CSR, security and direct management of day to day Construction activities.
3. KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
3.1. Lead the electrical work during plant Delivery Phase
a. Be part of the Site Management team under the leadership of the Installation Manager
b. Ensure that all necessary tools for electrical works are available before the beginning of start of site activities.
c. Support the Installation Manager in recruiting and training of local electrical installation staff
d. Lead the site electrical installation team to execute all installation and connection work
e. Direct unloading and verification of all electrical installation tools, equipment and material and manage the storage of such items.
f. Direct the necessary trench work in coordination with the Installation Manager
g. Direct the installation, cabling and connection activities for all electrical equipment and materials, ensuring compliance with Lease Agreement requirements, quality standards, health and safety requirements and state of the art electrical installation practice.
h. Engage daily with the Lessee Site Electrical representatives in terms of progress, services required from Lessee on the electrical works, risks and quality
i. Decide on the corrective actions of issues with the relevant responsible parties
j. Propose and implement changes in the Plant electrical design as necessary, coordinating with Engineering Team and the Installation Manager as required.
k. Prepare the As-built electrical documentation
l. Perform all electrical verifications and tests (cold commissioning) and support the start-up and commissioning of the Plant
m. Support the Installation Manager in preparation and execution of the Tests on Completion, report the results of the tests, and obtain from Lessee the Completion Certificate
3.2. Perform maintenance activities during Lease Phase
a. Travel to site if required to support Lessee in unplanned maintenance activities
b. Update Maintenance registers
4. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Certification for power distribution works (LV and MV)
Degree Electrical Engineering
• Clear thinker
• Ability to communicate clearly in a professional and business manner to various parties
• Problem solving
• Technically minded and understand clearly what is required to execute the works
• Able to lead a team in an isolated environment with planning, delegation and coordination of tasks
• Identify complex problems, review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
• Motivate, develop and direct people as they work and identifying the best people for the job
10+ years working experience in an electrical installation environment – supervisory role
Management of all electrical construction aspects
Staff management, time management, cost management, quality management and HSSE expertise
Electrical design experience
Leadership in medium voltage network construction projects or diesel generators electrical installation projects
5. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
• Position requires extensive travel and periodic stay (up to 2 months) in developing countries
• Must be able to work in challenging environments
• Must be able to work extended hours
Are you interested in becoming an Electrical Installation Supervisor in South Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.