ABOUT EXPAT JOBS AT German Red Cross
German Red Cross
JOB SEARCH RESULT:
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC has a long-standing good bilateral cooperation with the Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS). In line with the SRCS Strategy Paper for Resilience, launched in 2012, GRC initiated a number of community resilience projects, in partnership with the Host National Society. At present, GRC supports the first phase of a resilience project in Somaliland, one drought response operation as well as emergency response projects tackling the COVID-19 outbreak and the Desert Locust Plague.
GRC is seeking an experienced Project Delegate (m/f/d) Resilience and Food Security to coordinate project activities in close cooperation with the SRCS in Somaliland in the fields of community resilience, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and food security with a strong organizational development component. The position will be based in Hargeisa with frequent visits to the field.
Duration: Starting December 2020 for two years
Key tasks and responsibilities:
Ensure the efficient and effective implementation of the on-going community resilience project including regular monitoring and the collection and analysis of data for indicator based reporting and project controlling and where possible identify new areas of engagement in resilience work;
Ensure accurate financial project management, including budgeting, monitoring and reporting of expenditures, budget revisions, cash forecasting and other financial processes according to GRC and donor requirements
Ensure quality and timely narrative and financial reporting in compliance with GRC and donor regulations
Support organizational development and capacity building of SRCS Somaliland in community resilience DRR and FSL and provide technical support to SRCS staff in the above mentioned fields
Provide necessary technical and project management guidance in regard to the development of the inception and implementation phase of the new Strengthening Community Resilience project
Establish good working relationships with SRCS project counterparts and ensure project team cohesiveness and a constructive and trustful working atmosphere
Implement efficient and effective visibility measures according to GRC and donor guidelines
Provide analysis of GRC’s cooperation with SRCS and advise the Regional Head of Office on possible adjustments, changes, or new opportunities for cooperation and support in office administration and coordination
Promote the integration of disaster risk reduction and cross cutting issues such as gender, volunteer management and beneficiary accountability into all projects
Promote understanding of the principles and ideals of the RC/RC Movement
Support the identification of new funding opportunities and facilitate and assist SRCS in proposal writing
Experience in the sectors of DRR, livelihood, food security, preferably in Eastern Africa/ Somalia
University degree in a relevant field
Strong project management skills with a minimum of five years of experience working in relief, rehabilitation & development in an international role
Significant experience in organizational development/capacity strengthening
Proven experience in developing and executing effective monitoring and evaluation
Experience with the RC/RC Movement is a strong asset
Experience to develop proposals and manage complex grants from institutional donors, including German Government and EU/ECHO is an asset
Diplomatic skills to coordinate and cooperate with a Host National Society, local organizations, local authorities and other stakeholders
Proactive personality with leadership skills and experience in managing, coaching and supporting staff
Skills in negotiation, advocacy and mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
Ability to work independently and as a team member
Ability and agreement to adhere to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement
Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments, and high intercultural sensitivity
Oral and written fluency in English, knowledge of German is of advantage
Readiness to go on assignment without partner and ability to live under strict security regulations
Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
Valid Driving License
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Project Delegate and Country Representative (m/f/d), who is responsible for a joint German Red Cross / Togolese Red Cross (TRC) capacity building project, funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The main focus of the project is on piloting DRR and climate change adaptation measures. In cooperation with TRC, GRC seeks to build capacities and support local and national structures to reduce negative impacts of climate change and to sustain (natural) resource management in Togo. The project has been started in January 2019 and was originally planned to end in December 2021. An extension for an additional three years is currently being considered.
Starting date: 1st December 2020
Duration: until December 2021 (with possible extension)
Location: Lomé, Togo
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Provide technical support to TRC staff in the field of climate change adaptation and DRR
- Strengthen TRC’s capacities and advocacy role in the response to disasters and climate change
- Ensure regular monitoring of project implementation including the collection and analysis of data for indicator based reporting and project controlling
- Ensure accurate project budgeting, financial management and expenditure tracking according to GRC and BMZ requirements
- Ensure quality and timely narrative and financial reporting in compliance with GRC and BMZ regulations
- Ensure visibility and information sharing on the project
- Contribute to strengthen team spirit and a conducive workplace environment
- Actively engage in elaborating a concept for a next phase and preparation of a concept note and proposal
- Represent the GRC office in Togo towards TRC as well as the embassy, other organisations and Togolese authorities.
- Ensure proper coordination within the RCRC movement and beyond
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in implementation and coordination of humanitarian aid activities
- Experience in DRR and climate change adaptation measures
- Experience in cooperating with local organisations / capacity building
- Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods
- Experience in managing donor funded projects (BMZ and Auswärtiges Amt experience will be a strong asset)
- Experience in financial management and using finance tools and booking systems
- Strong skills in networking, negotiation and advocacy
- Proven capacity in operational and structural planning of capacity building projects, M&E activities, as well as mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Ability to train and guide local staff and community volunteers, and provide technical support
- Oral and written fluency in French and English is a must; knowledge of German would be an asset
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office (esp WORD, Excel & Powerpoint),
- Readiness to travel to and work in remote areas
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Valid Driving Licence
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as a personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment and last but not least a comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment.
Are you interested in becoming a Project Delegate and Country Representative in Togo? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.