ABOUT EXPAT JOBS AT FRES
JOB SEARCH RESULT:
Foundation Rural Energy Services (FRES) advances electrification in rural areas in Africa by establishing small-scale, commercially operating utilities. They provide households and small businesses with electricity, preferably generated by solar energy, to meet the demand for proper lighting, radio and TV, charging cell phones, and a broad range of commercial activities. In this way they contribute to the social and economic development and social cohesion of rural areas.
FRES is a non-profit, small multinational, founded in 2004, and consists of companies in Mali, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Uganda and Guinea-Bissau and a head office in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
FRES-Netherlands is, within the boundaries set by the FRES Board, responsible to guide the FRES Companies and:
• Develop, agree objectives and strategy for each FRES Company;
• Develop, agree annual plans and budgets for each FRES Company;
• Set boundary conditions, policies and guidelines;
• Appoint Management Team staff of each FRES Company, appraise their performance;
• Monitor and appraise the performance and strategy of their business;
• Arrange for specific authorizations for investments, divestments, major activities;
• Arrange for mandatory services such as central procurement (unless otherwise agreed);
• Promote adherence to the FRES fee-for-service business model;
• Develop new business to generate new FRES customers;
• Have an internal control framework in place to manage risks and opportunities; and to demonstrate compliance;
• Report to the FRES Board on status, progress.
FRES-Netherlands has a team of 6 staff members to perform the activities who report to the General Director. FRES Netherlands is currently looking to fill one of the two positions of Manager of Operations within the team. FRES Group Companies have a turnover of approx. € 10 million per annum in existing business and new developments (50/50) with a total of 230 direct staff.
A Manager of Operations is responsible for the effective operation of the FRES companies. It is a senior role which involves overseeing the operational activities and business results of FRES companies. An important objective for the Manager of Operations is to achieve operational excellence of FRES companies that meets expectations of its clients, its stakeholders and its shareholders. As a member of the FRES-NL team he/she ensures that the FRES objectives for the FRES companies are realized. As a member of the board of the local FRES Companies he/she assists in ensuring that the FRES companies meet their objectives.
The Manager of Operations works intensively with the other FRES-NL team members, to ensure consistent reporting to the General Director and the Board of FRES.
• Develop FRESco/country strategies in line with FRES strategies;
• Ensure FRESco strategies are aligned with, and that the FRESco’s interest is represented in, the overall FRES Business strategies and plan;
• Govern (control and guide) FRESco’s;
• Monitor performance of FRESco’s against agreed targets and objectives;
• Appraise FRESco business performance, strategies and business control framework;
• Benchmark business processes and performance metrics between the FRES companies;
• He/she is member of the Board of Directors of the FRES company;
• Willingness to travel 5-10 times per year to rural areas in Africa for a short stay or in specific cases a stay for several weeks or months.
All these responsibilities are executed under the supervision of the General Director.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to take the initiative, and to work independently;
• Proven skills and experience with respect to Business Administration with an operations management specialization and experience in the daily running of SME’s in developing countries;
• Strong analytical and presentation skills;
• Strong skills and experience with writing reports;
• Good team player and understanding the information needs of other team members, assisting them to identify and present business/operational issues arising that need to be addressed, improved;
• Ability to work under pressure, to multi-task and to manage time efficiently;
• Have leadership and supervisory skills;
• Have good critical and judgement skills;
• Excellent spoken English and French and excellent written English or French;
• Good interpersonal and intercultural skills;
• Commitment to existing Organization policies.
FRES offers a salary according standards of the NGO sector.
Please send a motivational letter and your resume before November 18th 2016.