DAKAR- MUNICH- PARIS- OTTAWA- NAIROBI
Area of expertise: Translation, Revision, Editing, Proofreading, Legal research and data management, Social Sciences, Communication, Corporation operations, Gender Equality and Human rights, Education/ Teaching Planning, kills and Qualifications (12 years experience).
• Excellent command of the Official Languages (French, English)
• Demonstrated outstanding level of professionalism, including ability to exercise good judgment, discretion, tact, and diplomacy.
• professional translation communications experience within a corporate, public sector or Non-government.
• Knowledge of important issues related to reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, and government policies about First Nations.
• Knowledge of translation and terminology resources, such as Termium Plus, le GDT.
• Knowledge of translation theories, techniques, and principles to render texts from English to French, to establish methods and procedures.
• Experience in developing, implementing a French language training style/ Strategy in a government context.
Bilingual Translator/ Reviser at Native Women Association of Canada- Legal Team
Gender equality and Indigenous rights Project: Bill S-3, Canadian Indian Act
- Responsible for the correct and stylistically appropriate translation and editing of texts on the topic of legal, Gender equality in the relevant mother tongue (French) and English. These include demanding legal texts, documents for national and international law, treaties as well as print and online publications. In addition, it establishes in-house terminology in this field and coordinates translation and editing work.
- Perform legal research for bill S-3 summaries (Parliament of Canada) on Indigenous rights issues in Canada, plain texts writing and update legal issues database in SharePoint.
- Summarize the International treaties, conferences, declaration, and protocol on the elimination of All Forms of discrimination, on women and girls’ rights.
- Utilize various professional sources (Termium Plus) to find pertinent information.
- Assist in the preparation of roundtables by collecting, analyzing the information.
- Produce flawless and creative translations from the source to the target language and/or proofread for errors, omissions.
- Read through or listens to material in one language, ascertains understanding of the meaning, context of that material, and converts it into a second language, making sure to preserve the original meaning.
- Consult with subject matter experts and other colleagues to understand specialised concepts and translate them and advise staff on terms and meanings.
- Develop and/or locate relevant French or English equivalents of specialized, technical terms.
- Ensure that the deliverables technically, linguistically, and grammatically meet the highest quality standards.
- Draft interpreters’ letter of offer for the 3 regions of Canada roundtables
- Update the organization’s glossary (legal) and Quality control of internal and external translations.
- Assist in the understanding of the nuances of translated documents by investigating and understanding unfamiliar definitions and terms.
- Read through original material and rewriting it in the target language, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained.
- Use dictionaries, thesauruses, and reference books to find the closest terminology.
- Proofread and edited final translated and edited documents.
- Report to Indigenous Legal Counsel
Economic and Social Engineering, Organisation Management
French/ English/ German