The Hiring Manager
With over 10 years as certified Accountant and more than 14 years as a Financial Manager/Consultant, I write today to apply for the post of FINANCIAL CONTROLLER / FINANCE MANAGER. As you will note in the attached CV, I offer a broad range of local and international business experience from Project Finance and Administrative Management of a manufacturing plant expansion project to the Financial Controller of the Kurji Ramji Group of companies.
The attached CV demonstrates my outstanding communication and leadership skills as well as my reputation for being organised, dependable, and professional in all business relationships. Currently, as the Financial Manager at Groupe Ladak Sprl (Bujumbura – Burundi), I am charged with oversight of all finance, treasury, internal control, reporting, and statutory obligation compliance activities across eight company sites and am key adviser for implementing sound financial strategies.
Below are some examples of the value I can bring to your company:
• Recognized as a strong, mature leader with the interpersonal skills, respect and professionalism to successfully build and direct highly qualified teams in collaborative environments to accomplish all aspects of business accounting and finance within a variety of business environments
• Consistently sought out for financial advice for strategic decision-making.
• Ensure internal controls are adopted and standard operating procedures are defined to ensure efficiency, accuracy, and regulatory compliance.
I hope to share my experience and expertise with your company and look forward to speaking with you in greater detail about the company’s short-and long-term financial goals. Until then, thank you for your time and consideration.
Direct an eight-member team and orchestrate all finance, treasury, internal control, reporting, and statutory obligation compliance activities throughout all company sites. As key financial adviser for the group, share expertise and knowledge to implement sound financial strategies.
• Garnered significant savings in overdraft interest by implementing better treasury management inclusive of establishing systems/procedures for recording and monitoring projected cash flows on a daily basis.
• Significantly improved sales margins by projecting all placed order costs, and by co-ordinating with sales division regarding product marketability/pricing information.
• Improved collections from credit customers by establishing a series of SOP’s, primarily in the receivables departments to better control credit and aging statistics/documentation.
• Established better inventory control procedures, initiating regular spot checks at divisional stores and increased frequency of regular inventory takes.
Zambia Sugar Project – an eleven-month project to construct a modern, high-specification sugar refinery enabling significantly increased annual refined sugar production capacity and to make numerous additional smaller factory improvements. Forges Tardieu, Ltd was the principal mechanical erection contractor.
PROJECT FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER (7/2015 to 9/2016)
Recruited to oversee all finance and administrative aspects of the project, including meeting statutory obligations and establishing/implementing internal controls.
Services provided included advice, consulting, and preparation of financial statements, forecast reports, and Mauritius Revenue Authority (MRA)/Register of Companies (ROC) filing documents. Evaluated, selected accounting system software, implemented applicable accounting system policies/procedures and trained/coached client staff end-users.
• Clients included small businesses in FMCG, food processing and car tuning/rental company.
• As the “go to” certified accountant in area network, also frequently recommended to others for finance/taxation services.
Editec UK Ltd, Gambia, Africa
Training received at Ugandan project in Kampala prior to posting at Gambian Project. Returned to family in Mauritius when it became apparent that they were unable to successfully adapt to life in my absence.
FINANCE MANAGER (6/2014 to 9/2014)
Led Finance Department, directing four accountants and six cashiers. Daily activities included reconciliation of money transfers, finance reporting, oversight of debts credit control and trade accounts payable. Pro-actively planned budget, reviewed/established controls, and managed cash flow. Additionally managed personnel records, payroll, and tax, license, and statutory payments.
• Monitored gaming equipment import and inventory.
• Compiled weekly cash reports/monthly management accounts for London Office.
• Collaborated with auditors to reconcile year-end accounts.
• Liaised with Operation IT and Commercial Management to generate reports, set up marketing initiatives, plan budgets, and determine status/requirements of facilities.
Oversaw four primary areas: Executive, Accounting/Finance, Treasury, and Human Resources/Administration. Key contributor to identification of strategies for analysis/management of risk, establishment of ISO/Environmental Management System, cost-benefit analysis of project investments, and collaborated on shareholder/director appointments for offshore companies. Supervised, trained, and mentored Accounting and Finance staff of eight, planned, analysed, forecast budgets, and compiled financial reports. Conducted Forex Monitoring and Treasury Management to ensure thorough analysis of all available financing avenues and ensured availability of sufficient working capital for timely debt service/statutory payments and built/maintained relationships with strategic partners (bankers, clients, trade creditors). Managed 50-member HR Department, evaluated payroll, prepared staff career objectives, net non-financial KPI’s, conducted annual performance appraisals and liaised with NPS, Labour Office, Statistics Office and others to ensure compliance with all employment policies and regulations.
• Regularly interfaced with client representatives to obtain cost approvals within Operational Management Role.
• Initiated internal controls and defined Standard Operating Procedures to ensure efficiency, accuracy and regulatory compliance.
• Advised others regarding Accounting/Finance issues including IAS, IFRS, audit, and legal implications of strategies/decisions and liaised among MRA, ROC, and local authorities to guarantee regulatory compliance.
• Conferred with external auditors, bank representatives, and legal staff regarding customers identified as in default.
• Pro-actively sought resolution of outstanding/late payments to facilitate rapid debt collection and minimize bad debt.
The St. Regis Mauritius Resort (1/2008 to 9/2012)
The Westin Mauritius Turtle Bay Resort and Spa (9/2006 to 6/2008)
• As project Financial Controller, prepared, recorded and monitored all project related materials expenditures and weekly labor cost claims. Verified accuracy of monthly claims applications figures and interacted with client’s representatives to ensure successful certification of submitted claims.
• As project Financial Controller, interfaced with client representative to obtain cost approvals and liaised with Project Consultant to obtain early claim certification, expediting collection of payment by head office.
Was head of finance and administration
Put in place all accounting procedures and internal control
Preparation of quarterly management accounts, annual management and statutory accounts.
Dealing with external auditors
Liaising with banks and local authorities
Holder of ACCA Finance International qualification