Growth-focused, results-driven leader with years of success maximizing revenue, operational efficiency, and profitability for a Fortune 500 company. Expert communicator, able to optimize the productivity of sizeable, cross-functional teams with innovative training and incentive programs, one-on-one coaching, and leadership by example. Talent for launching effective sales and marketing strategies that generate record-setting revenues. Proven ability to quickly master new concepts and technologies. Fluent in Portuguese, English and Spanish and some French.
Assumed leadership and responsibility for building an independent regional operation in sub-Saharan Africa with a private equity fund acquired companies (Silver Steet Capital Fund- https://www.silverstreetcapital.com ) including Zambia/Zimbabwe, which aggregates various brands and businesses (Farming, Cattle, Poultry with Quantum). Creating, developing and implementing a vision, strategic direction and momentum to build on and deliver the potential and profitability that has been created; developing and leading a change management program to transform the business to world-class standards; increasing the range of products and expanding the business footprint across Africa regionally. Responsible to lead investment, funding and shareholder initiatives as well ESG policies across group. Reporting and working with UK fund HQ. Key achievements:
• Lead the restructuration of all operations to improve efficiencies, productivity and interdepartmental communication and accountability. We improved processing efficiencies by 30% and production productivity by 50% while growing sales +20% year on year (improved marketing and product line)
• Accountable for P/L performance and increased bottom line EBITA also double-digit Vs previous years
• Led the resolve of heritage issues on legal and Hr side as well as union negotiations while leading implementation of new management software and on-line based performance evaluation systems.
• Led financing proposals with CFO support and funding opportunities inside and outside group and M&A opportunities. Expanded the brand and company to six countries directly or via JV/Partnerships/M&A.
• Lead the Zimbabwe expansion and farmer recruitment digital strategy using digital marketing only recruitment tool. A first in Zimbabwe and the industry (created Zimbaseed)
Earned three promotions within the largest nonalcoholic beverage company and assumed responsibility for overseeing all operations East Africa with over 7000 combined employees and over ten manufacturing plants, becoming a leader of senior leaders. Conceptualize and implement strategic marketing campaigns on a $20M annual direct budget, combined +$30M with bottling partners to drive demand, sales volume, market share, brand love leading to increased bottom line results and +1.5 Billion USD direct responsibility. Key achievements:
• Led the region to grow annual sales volume to 200M cases and revenue by 11% to $1B+ while developing a 2020 annual business plan that is projected to produce $1.5b by growing entry packs contribution to 20% of total portfolio, diets and zeros to 15%, future consumption to +20% driving total business growth in volume by +8%, revenues by 12% and EBIT/OI by 14%.
• Spearhead candidate assessment and selection to ensure the ongoing acquisition of top talent, as well as leadership development programs to elevate individual and team goal attainment.
• Lead implementation of the marketing, brand & communication plans including e-commerce platforms pilots to support our growth plans and get buy inn and support to our brands by customers and consumers (grew brand love scores and market share reaching +95 % of market share in Kenya as an example). Empowered women by creating a social impact program to help women create their own job with support of our brands. Lead the first B2B model with Safaricom to supply 900 offices with hydration POS.
Leadership direction over six highly competitive markets with significant focus on go-to-market strategy design and execution. Managed a $12M annual marketing budget with responsibility for generating $500M annually.
• Increased annual sales volume to 147M cases and revenue by 15% YoY in HEMU countries to $550M and market share by 4% despite significant political challenges. • Guided the region to establish #2 rankings for revenue and profit growth in the Southeast Africa business unit in 2017 and 2018. Gain market share and brand love across all markets. • Launch 12 innovation projects within sparkling drinks, juices and waters with brands like Schweppes, Minute Maid, Coca-Cola, Fanta, and in roads into Value Added Dairy (VAD) and local drinks based on local cereals like millet (first country exclusive project in region). This produced extra $5M in profit within launch year.
Directed all sales and marketing efforts across Angola and Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, and Swaziland (BLNS), worked closely with strategic partners to adapt global strategies to local market conditions, and created annual business plans to achieve + 500M in combined system annual revenues goal.
• Grew annual sales volume to 106M cases and net revenue by 12% despite a recession, earning the distinction as the fastest growing business unit in the company.
• Elevated brand reputation through social responsibility and women’s empowerment initiatives. Resulting in market share and brand love gains for the company brands across markets.
Recruited to execute a turnaround strategy based largely on a comprehensive rebranding campaign on a $9M annual budget, secure over +300M combined system annual sales revenues, and lead the creation a three-year business plan to increase business in Sub-Saharan markets.
• Increased annual sales volume to a record-setting 64M cases in 2014, securing $400M in sales revenue. • Led the first local adaptation of the corporate marketing theme, “A billion reasons to believe in Africa” resulting in a topline growth of +6% delivering operating income of +160M system combined
• Guided the planning and efficient execution of a transition to a new bottling partner without experiencing operational interruptions.
Managed a six-member leadership team at a company specialising in the production and distribution of juices, soft drinks, waters, energy drinks, and alcoholic beverages with full P&L accountability and responsibility for generating $400M in annual revenue.
• Developed marketing strategies on a $12M annual budget and co-developed aggressive growth strategies that increased annual sales by 22% and market share by 4%.
• Opened new markets in DR Congo, Mozambique, Namibia, and South Africa and optimized import / export processes resulting in a $500k reduction in taxes and fees. Consumer Electronics Group Sales Director, LG, based in Lisbon, Portugal 07/2008 to 07/2009 Led a 26-member sales team tasked with producing $120M in annual revenue for a leading manufacturer of consumer electronics, appliances, and mobile devices.
• Produced 40% growth in Q4 2008 via key account growth plans and earned a #2 companywide ranking for electronics sales.
• Increased penetration and sales in both traditional and modern trade channels developing at same time expertise and influence of traditional partners behind our brands (over 100 new partners) while growing our presence and investments behind modern trade consumer electronics shops (over $20M investments resulting in +90M profits)
Led a sales and key account team tasked with producing $120M in annual revenue for a leading manufacturer of consumer electronics, appliances, and mobile devices. • Produced 40% growth in Q4 2008 via key account growth plans and earned a #2 companywide ranking for electronics sales. • Increased penetration and sales in both traditional and modern trade channels developing at same time expertise and influence of traditional partners behind our brands (over 100 new partners) while growing our presence and investments behind modern trade consumer electronics shops (over $20M investments resulting in +90M profits)
Reported to: Board Managing Director of Group. Direct reports: 10 managers. Marketing budget responsibility: $2.4, revenue $60M
• Developed and implemented sales/marketing plans to improve company performance. Managed commercial and marketing divisions.
• Conducted international negotiations and developed business partnerships and new sales channels. Achievements
• Increased market share of plasma business from 10% to over 20%, achieving top 2 position using strategic partnerships with key accounts and specialised retail.
• Revitalised traditional retail partnerships by using new trade marketing tools/plans to improve in-store Brand appearance in 200+ retail shops.
• Won first significant international investment (€2m) from Panasonic PME Germany for Panasonic brand plans in Portugal.
Reported to: Board of Directors. Direct reports: 8 managers. Indirect: 4. Marketing budget responsibility: $7m, revenue $200M
• Developed and implemented European/Global expansion plans. Led development of new product lines and developed plans to expand brand to new channels/customers. • Formulated marketing strategy, selected agencies/partners, improved education programs, and planed events, shows and branding activities.
Reported to: European Regional Manager. Direct reports: 5 managers. Marketing budget responsibility: $1.5m.
• Defined and implemented go-to-market strategy and marketing plans. Developed retail customer coverage plans and veterinarian sales channel. Represented company at industry events.
• Participated in learning sessions with other businesses (incl. Boss, Lacoste and Olay) and planned events that drove awareness. Coached and developed distributor network. Achievements
• Increased sales in Portugal from less than $1m profit (1997) to $20m profit (2006) over a 9-year period.
• Strengthened brand image by 300%. Develop the specialised retail and influencer network.
• Lead and Manage the strategic business partner change for the country successfully.
• 2013: General Management Acceleration Program Sponsored by the Coca- Cola Company
• 2013-2014: Leading effective Teams, Value Sharing – P&L, Value Creation and Catalyst Leadership Program Six Months on the Job global program in Atlanta (USA)
• 2017: LEAP 2.0 Change Management Program (6 months) - Dubai
• 2019: MIT Management – Artificial Intelligence: Implications for Business Strategy
• Others: Several leadership programs, functional programs, psychological assessments, 7 Habits of S. Covey
Executive Program in Finance for Non-finance professionals
Master degree & MBA In International Business Managment
University Degree in International relations with a major in European Studies.