I am looking for challenging opportunities in Africa, the Middle East and South East Asia where I can make a substantial contribution using my transferrable skills, experiences and connections.
I am an experienced international executive with over 35 years of top management experiences in the Photochemistry, Electronic safety and security and Telecommunications sectors. My background includes start-up / new market entry; restructuring / successful turn around of struggling businesses; green and brownfield business development; merger & acquisitions; fund rising for businesses and managed corporate, private equity, private investments and venture capital investments throughout EMEA and South East Asia regions.
I am known as an innovator, a strong team leader conscious of the importance of inclusive management and commercially driven with track record to deliver results to stakeholders under challenging conditions.
I have a BSC in Electronics – Paardemarkt, Antwerp, Belgium, attended General Management courses at INSEAD France and Change Management at the Vlerick institute in Belgium.
I am fluent in 4 languages and am internationally mobile as such relocation is not a problem.
Looking forward hearing from you, kind regards, Dirk Smet
• Applied for and acquired a national fibre backbone license with last mile service delivery in Myanmar
• Build the C- level management team
• Developed the strategic and financial business plans
• Developed local partner relationships
• Launched a USD 500 million funding process to be achieved through disbursements linked to agreed milestones
Leads the company; devising and implementing a rescue plan to redress serious financial problems
* Establishment of a crisis management organisation with clear definition of roles and responsibilities
* Introduction of stronger board control and creation of standard operating procedures and controls
* Review and implementation of cost cutting and cash savings throughout the company
* As a non executive director also coached the then Managing Director and acted as a strategic advisor to drive international expansion in Africa
Non Executive board representations to Octopus Ventures (private equity fund) and acts as a business coach and mentor to Octopus Ventures portfolio companies
Strategic business management, business transformation, change and transition management
General management covering finance, accounting, strategic management, marketing, sales, HR, international business development