To oversee all aspects of two hatcheries, including the management of personnel, eggs and all hatchery equipment, to efficiently produce the highest quality chicks, at the highest possible percentage hatch rate, at the lowest possible cost.
1. Plan, organise, lead, coordinate and assess all aspects of the hatchery and staff.
2. Manage, via subordinate supervisory staff, and monitor all routine hatchery activities – including egg receiving, grading, cold room storage, traying, setting, transferring, sorting, vaccinating, and shipping of chicks, as well as machine monitoring, maintenance and repair, hatchery hygiene and staff safety and health - making corrective interventions and improvements as and when necessary.
3. Plan, recommend, develop and implement (approved) policies and practices for the hatcheries to ensure (i) achievement of set goals (ii) profit maximisation and (iii) continuous improvement in all areas.
4. Plan and recommend production, spending and capital improvement projects.
5. Prepare and submit an annual hatchery budget (Expenditure, Sales and Capex).
6. Monitor and control costs in labour, repairs, vaccines and general supplies, and arrange timely procurement of essentials via the procurement department.
7. Ensure a data base is maintained of all key hatchery results, and produce key reports of such; be they per hatch reports, weekly or monthly summaries. All Data should be monitored, interpreted and converted into recommendations, to the breeding farms management and management in general, on a regular basis.
8. Design, recommend, implement and monitor all Quality Assurance checks ensuring comprehensive accountability via sign-off of checklists.
9. Perform random, but frequent, audits and snap checks at various times; day or night.
10. Compliance with company policies as well as national and international standards.
11. Remain abreast of poultry industry trends and new developments.
12. Other related duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
Bachelors Degree – Poultry Science or Animal Husbandry; or alternately
Experience (minimum 5 years) in hatchery management or general management, with a proven record and solid references.
Accountable – Able to accept responsibility & account for his/her actions.
Communication – Communicate clearly & concisely, both orally and in writing.
Detail oriented – Able to pay attention to the minute details of tasks & projects.
Problem Solver – An enquiring mind and desire to make things better
Energetic – Able to work at a sustained pace & produce quality work
Ethical – To conduct himself/herself according to values and accepted standards.
Honesty/Integrity – To be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
Responsible – Able to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
Competence – In the practicalities of hatchery management, man-management, and computer skills (MS Word, Excel and – preferably but not essentially – MS Access)