Project Luangwa (PL) is a small organisation helping communities living close to the South Luangwa National Park gain benefits from the local tourism through supporting education, creating training opportunities, supporting women and promoting gender equality. The organisation is registered with the UK Charities Commission, Reg. № 1119335, as a Charitable Trust in Zambia, Reg. № CI 1027, and a non-profit charity № 501(C)3 in the USA.
Project Luangwa is seeking a dedicated and experienced individual to work as part of a small team based in Mfuwe, close to the South Luangwa National Park in the Eastern Province of Zambia. As Communications Manager you will be the primary focal point for incoming communications; be responsible for public relations, marketing, fundraising and reporting; meeting visiting donors in person and be the point of contact for our supporting safari lodges.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The main duties and responsibilities of the Communications Manager will be:
Working with member lodges
• Manage a good working and informative relationship with supporting Member Lodges and ensure that their staff are familiar with Project Luangwa’s past achievements, current projects and future plans.
• Meet potential and visiting existing donors and sponsors at lodges
• Write and design informative material and ensure that this is available in lodge rooms/reception etc.
Donors and Fundraising
• Find new donors; write suitable and donor specific funding proposals which will include researching international data and local information.
• Meet potential or past donors when they are visiting the area; explain knowledgably, potential projects, local circumstances and culture; accompany donors to see ‘their’ project and explain its history, progress and possible future need.
• Keep Dropbox up to date with project specific and general images, video, audio and documents for use by fundraisers, donors and the press.
• Organise fundraising campaigns. Seek foreign fundraisers to organize campaigns abroad. Supply them with suitable material.
• Write and illustrate, with high quality images, a monthly/quarterly newsletter.
• Social Media: post regularly on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc
• Responsible for creating and maintaining a new website and promotional videos.
• Establish and maintain media relationships locally and internationally.
• Maintain regular communications with Zambian Government departments at local and national levels.
• Write an annual and monthly internal and external reports.
• Establish a donor database containing donor details, reporting requirements, history and contact history.
• Excellent spoken and written English
• Experience with international donor relations and fundraising/proposal writing
• An ability to take good quality photographic images
• Knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Office products
• Clean Driving License
• Completed University Degree or Diploma or relevant experience in a similar role.
Preferred candidates would ideally have:
• Experience in Africa or a similar environment
• A working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop or similar products
• Have a flexible and proactive approach; be adaptable and willing to take on new challenges; be independent, yet able to work as a team; be able use your own initiative; be able to deal with people at all levels from village to Government Ministerial level as well as international donors; be creative
How to Apply:
All applications must be in English. Applicants are invited to send their cv of no more than three pages, a letter of application and the contact details of three professional referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you interested in becoming a Communications and Fundraising Manager in Zambia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.