POPULATION REFERENCE BUREAU
Regional Advisor Consultant - West Africa
The Consultant-Advisor will serve as the regional representative for PRB and support multiple PRB projects in the West Africa region. In his/her capacity supporting PRB’s project work, the Consultant-Advisor will manage relationships with partners in the West Africa region and provide technical support to PRB’s policy communications projects including: the USAID-funded Policy Advocacy and Communications Enhanced for Reproductive Health and Population (PACE) project; the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation-funded Empowering Evidence-Driven Advocacy (EEDA) project; and the Strengthening Evidence-based Policy to Expand Access to Safe Abortion (SAFE ENGAGE) project. S/he will regularly communicate with PRB’s US-based activity managers, program directors, and senior leadership staff to drive results. The Consultant-Advisor will further assist PRB with expanding its programs in West Africa and its regional initiatives, raising the visibility of PRB-produced materials and products, forming lasting and productive relationships with key stakeholders, and helping to identify new partnerships and new areas of opportunity.
• Assume responsibility for providing oversight and implementing specific activities in one or more countries. Country activities could include helping local partners to translate evidence into user-friendly formats; building the capacity of national and decentralized groups (civil society organizations, faith-based organizations, public sector agencies, researchers, academics, journalists, and others) to understand often complex concepts, such as the demographic dividend, and to develop the skills to communicate them accurately and effectively to policy makers and those who seek to influence them. (approximately 65 days/year);
• Assist PRB with identifying and supervising country-based consultants, local partners, and vendors (including for French translation services) as needed, as well as trouble shoot should any issues arise (approximately 10 days/year);
• Responsible for liaising with key partners and donors in the field. The Advisor may also be asked to provide technical oversight of policy and communication activities in selected countries, help facilitate meetings or capacity building activities, and represent PRB at regional conferences or meetings. In addition the Advisor will be expected to work in conjunction with the PRB East Africa Regional Advisor to ensure West Africa field activities align with and benefit from those in the East Africa region to advance the mission and goals of PRB International Programs (Approximately 15 days/year);
• Liaise with USAID mission staff and other PRB donors and international partners at the regional or country levels. Activities could include periodically briefing donors/partners on project activities and participating in partner-supported conferences or meetings (Approximately 5 days/year);
• Assist PRB to assess and evaluate potential partnerships and business opportunities in the region; support PRB contributions to the achievement of the Ouagadougou Partnership and FP2020 goals and commitments; (approximately 5 days);
• Periodically review and provide technical input of project materials and training content with an eye toward relevance, acceptability, and ease of use at the local level (approximately 5 days);
• Assist PRB country consultants and local teams with developing targeted policy communication strategies, fostering policy dialogue, and creating spaces to effectively bring stakeholders and policymakers together for policy and program reform (Approximately 10 days);
• Assist with new business development as requested, providing input on concept papers and proposals to ensure relevance to the needs within the West Africa region (Approximately 12 days) and;
• Contribute to monitoring country and regional activities and documenting lessons learned from the implementation processes and experiences (Approximately 5 days/year).
• Participates in business development activities as needed.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Arrangements and Accountabilities
• Reports to the Senior Program Director for Country Programs
• Current residence in a West African country – Senegal or Burkina Faso – strongly preferred.
• The position is located in West Africa with significant travel (up to 35%) in the region
Experience and Education
• Graduate degree in public health, demography, social sciences, or other related field;
• Minimum 10 years of experience designing, implementing, and managing complex policy communications, advocacy, and capacity building programs in West Africa (Anglophone and Francophone preferred);
• Holds established relationships with regional reproductive health and demographic institutions and stakeholders in countries throughout the region. Has firsthand knowledge of the capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses of these institutions;
• Significant understanding of the FP/RH policy environment and programs in the region;
• Experience conducting policy analyses, using data and evidence to advocate for policy change, and designing advocacy strategies.
Skills and Abilities
• Strong skills in translating demographic, economic and/or other health data, synthesizing, and writing for non-technical policy audiences;
• A record of accomplishment supporting government actors and advocates to develop and implement health-related policies;
• Deep understanding of the organization of and financing of family planning and health services, and of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) initiatives in the region;
• Strong management and leadership skills including project management and supervision, convening of multi-stakeholder groups;
• Excellent organizational, writing, and oral presentation skills; proficiency in Skype, GoToMeeting and other web-based communication platforms;
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build relationships with stakeholders, local partners, host country governments, and international donor agencies—especially USAID;
• Strong training and presentation skills;
• Must write and speak French fluently; strong English speaking and writing skills essential
Are you interested in becoming a 'Regional Advisor Consultant - West Africa'? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.