Our client in West Africa is looking for a Chief Operations Officer.
Reporting to the Managing Director / CEO, the Chief Operations Officer will be responsible for creating and maintaining a terminal operational strategy that ensures a safe working environment, meets agreed service levels and is cost-efficient. The Chief Operations Officer is a member of the terminal senior management team and has a direct influence on the further growth and development of the terminal. He/ She oversee the operations of the organisation with a goal to meeting business goals and projections. The COO is expected to provide measurable input to the terminals business strategy within the limits of the role.
The position is responsible for:
• Setting and delivering the main operational initiatives which are within the strategy of the terminal.
• Establishing and implementing current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies of port operations and expansions.
• Providing leadership and direction for the Port/Terminal operations and taking responsibility for effective management and safety of all operations staff.
• Improving the quality of existing operational processes and methods on an ongoing basis, by providing input for effective local strategies for operating at optimal levels.
• Ensuring operational processes comply with HSSE policies & procedures.
• Playing a leading role in selection, negotiation and finalization of agreements with suppliers & customers including execution and maintenance of SLA’s.
• Liaising with customs agents, trucking companies, customs, port authorities, etc. to ensure that their requirements are met.
• Setting and achieving the budget for the reporting functions.
• Ensuring that the terminal adheres to the company’s Global standards on process and people development.
• Motivating, coaching and instructing all operational team members. Structuring tasks and goals, establishing efficient courses of action, setting priorities, organising information, efficiently, planning and executing daily tasks.
• Supporting programs and initiatives that emphasise incremental improvement in work process and outputs over an open-ended period of time.
• Liaising with labor unions and on behalf of the company taking part in long-term contract negotiations with labor unions. Ensuring industrial harmony with the workforce.
• Measuring and reporting on operational performance and developing plans to improve relevant key performance indicators
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• Minimum university degree in logistics, maritime and port, or process/industrial engineering.
• Completed post-graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies is desirable.
• Minimum 7-year experience in operations management roles in the port and maritime industry, manufacturing, aviation or similar.
• Solid understanding of the container shipping industry end-to-end and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers.
• Experience in cost and productivity optimisation through process optimisation, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
• Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations and terminal management systems.
• Extensive knowledge of Terminal Operating Systems
• Fluent in English and preferably also in the local language
• Experience in finance related matters, setting budgets and reporting against financial objectives.
• Ability to meet objectives while promoting a team environment and developing people.
• Lean knowledge and leadership
• Build Effective Teams
• Problem Solver mindset
• Effective Negotiation Skills
• Conflict Management
• Effective Communication Skills
• Customer Centricity
Our client is an equal opportunity employer, and also encourages women to apply for this role.
If you are interested in this position, please apply above or below.