Position: Chief Technology Officer / West Africa
Country/Regional Name: Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria, based in Ghana
Reporting to: Regional Director, West Africa
Grade: Business Head (Grade 1)
Our client, a leading global commodity merchant and sustainable supply chain management company, is seeking a a Chief Technical Officer to lead on all technology development and integration for its fast growing business in West Africa (Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana and Nigeria) and wil be based in Ghana. By leveraging technology, the CTO will help to standardize and streamline the service delivery, which includes an expanding range of products and services, to their network of over 250,000 smallholder farmers across West Africa.
In order for a ‘commercial expansion’ to be successful, the client must bring standardisation to their product offerings, the people and training on these products and knowledge management. The CTO will be required to solve a number of business problems:
1. Data Mining: How do we seamlessly integrate data collected from multiple input sources and systems into the same platform. How do we draw value from and use technology to make decisions on large quantities of data available from different sources?
2. Spatial economics problem: We are far from our consumers, connectivity to IT and telecoms is basic and technology is rudimentary.
3. How do we move from a largely bricks and mortar to a tech-enabled, Bricks and Click business? How do we move from legacy systems based on centralised computing to mobile money enabled point of sale systems which can operate in rural areas.
4. How do we move into new age technology to provide us with regular and reliable real time information on inventory, sales (including point of sale, credit and mobile money systems), people movements etc?
5. How do we integrate our various systems to provide a single user interface which is robust enough to work in rural areas.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Integration of various systems (IT & business processes) to deliver a common usable interface
Support, through technology, the decision making process and visibility of the process both at field level and at headquarters
Scout for new emerging rural/low tech systems that allow mobile money, POS, credit decision making at field level
Evaluate existing systems in house and manage an offshore tech team to achieve business goals
Negotiate to get value from service providers and outsourcing agencies
Ability to support lifetime value creation of the systems being adopted and clearly demonstrates value versus costs of the IT systems
Create a design process with a shortened life cycle to provide IT solution to problem in business
Evaluate business strategy and long term requirements to ensure that systems does not become obsolete
Support SAP implementation when West Africa SAP process begins
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelors in technology plus Masters in Management
Minimum 10 years’ experience in the Information Technology arena
Systems integration experience, ideally as a Chief Technical Officer
Tech background (ideally from startup environment) combined with business knowledge
Experience managing offshore service providers
Strong business development and negotiation skills
Appreciation of the rural tech environment
Interested in Africa and staying in Africa
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Technology Officer in West Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.