AGIAMONDO e.V. is the personnel service of the German Catholics for Development Cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS) we offer development workers a meaningful role working with local development agents. The CPS is a personnel programme for peace-building and the prevention of violence in crisis and conflict regions. It sets out to promote a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. Working with church-related and civil-social partner organisations in Uganda, AGIAMONDO aims to make a contribution towards civil conflict management and the sustainable and equitable development of the country through peace-building measures.
To work with our partner organisation, the diocese Moroto, we are looking for a Lawyer, Geographer for Land and Resource Conflicts (m/f/d), Moroto, Uganda.
Your new role
Land conflicts due to resource discovery, population growth and pastoralism are widespread in the Karamoja region. You will support the ‘Land Department’ of the diocese in Moroto in effectively managing land conflicts of the Catholic Church in the five Karamoja districts. By providing information on land law and advice on land rights issues, you will support the diocese in Moroto in formally protecting the land jointly used by the population with collective land titles. In this way you will make a valuable contribution to peace-building in the Moroto district.
Specifically, you will carry out the following tasks:
• You will strengthen the capacities of employees in the Land Department of the diocese Moroto regarding land rights issues, as well as in the management of specific conflicts.
• You will advise on applying for collective land titles and establishing cooperative organisational forms.
• You will support the diocese Moroto in the target-group-oriented training of methods and techniques for non-violent conflict management for the settlement of land conflicts.
• You will promote the interlinking and coordination of the activities involving land rights in Karamoja with other actors at various levels.
• You will be responsible for the proper spending and management of funds locally in accordance with the donor and AGIAMONDO guidelines. You will work in partnership with the diocese Moroto.
• You have completed a university degree in, for example, geography or law with a focus on land law, and have professional experience working outside of Europe, ideally in Africa.
• You have experience working in land law and land and resource conflicts, and have knowledge and experience in conflict transformation.
• Ideally, you have already developed and implemented training concepts in this field and are experienced in project management.
• You have previously worked with geographic information systems (GIS).
• As a member of a Christian church, you identify with the goals and concerns of church development and peace-building work with a strong sense of conviction.
• You can communicate in fluent English, verbally and in writing, and are an EU or Swiss citizen.
What AGIAMONDO offers
• Individual and thorough preparation
• Three-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
• Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching and supervision, individual advice
We look forward to receiving your complete online application by no later than 23/08/2020.
Are you interested in becoming a Lawyer, Geographer in Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.