Working for Royal Van Zanten
Royal Van Zanten is an innovative company with a history going back more than 150 years, operating successfully within international ornamental plant cultivation. We do this by continuous genetic improvement, by creating synergy in breeding and propagation technologies and by cooperating intensively with our partners in the chain on marketing activities. Together we develop new species and varieties and improve the current crops within our core products. These are the cut flower varieties of alstroemeria, bouvardia, chrysanthemum and statice, the bulbous lily and the potted products of aster, celosia, chrysanthemum and multiflora. We supply this starting material to our customers, who are professional breeders all over the world.
The production of basic plant propagation material and some of the breeding activities take place on our two sites in Uganda: Mukono and Wakiso. Production in these locations is mainly focused on pot and cut flower chrysanthemum cuttings as well as bouvardia, celosia and aster. Both farms are located at approximately 30 km from Kampala. Over 500 commercial varieties are produced in Uganda on 21 hectares of greenhouses by a total of over 1000 employees.
For our farms in Uganda we are currently seeking to recruit an
Experienced Cultivation Specialist m/f
In this role you will be responsible for all technical cultivation aspects of the two farms in Uganda. You will monitor the cultivation processes, detect any deviations and make adjustments. In addition, this role will particularly focus on:
- Spotting improvement opportunities and developing them to implementation
- Directing the cultivation aspects of management, including climate, irrigation, lighting,
the use of fertilisers, pesticides etc.
- Introducing and controlling new methods and technologies
- Transferring cultivation knowledge within the organisation
- Creating a cultivation dashboard (control system / cultivation methods)
- Creating / implementing / monitoring / directing towards cultivation KPIs (relationship between irrigation, radiation sum, EC, pH)
- Creating / implementing / monitoring / directing towards crop protection KPIs (insect burden, crop protection schedules etc.)
- Relevant Higher Professional education
- Proven breeding knowledge combined with a number of years of experience
- Knowledge of varieties, properties and cultivation protocols
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art crop protection (biological and chemical)
- Knowledge of climate control systems, fertilising systems, horticultural technology
- Good communication skills
- Meticulous and quality-focused
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities
A varied role with appropriate responsibilities and personal development opportunities. You will be working in a beautiful country as part of a great team. You can expect competitive primary and secondary terms of employment.
For more information, please contact Jan Willem de Putter, Managing Director, Royal Van Zanten Uganda Ltd, Tel: +256 752 775120 or Dik van Alphen, Cutting Products Manager, Tel: +31 – 297 387000 80.
Please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com, with reference to “Cultivation Specialist” vacancy