DRC's comprehensive and solutions-based approach to displacement requires a high level of strategic leadership. You will ultimately accountable for all aspects of DRC's work in both Libya and Tunisia, and lead the consolidation and development of the programme, continuing the process of developing solid impact measurement mechanisms strengthening accountability initiatives. The Country Director ensures that the financial management and operational setup is adapted to the operational context. Furthermore, the Country Director ensure that DRC maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities, the humanitarian community and donors. The Country Director Reports to the Regional Director. Roles reporting to the Country Director; Senior Management Team (Head of Proramme, Head of Support Services, Safety Advisor).
In this position, you will be responsible for:
- Exercising strategic leadership, i.e. leading the development, management and implementation of new strategic priorities for DRC Tunisia and Libya.
- Promoting and contributing to the development of a clear and relevant DRC programmatic profile with the context in Tunisia and Libya.
- Representing DRC externally towards stakeholders and duty bearers in Tunisia and Libya, positioning DRC strategically towards external actors, and pursuing new partnerships and funding opportunities.
- Ensuring that DRC is organized and managed in order to pursue opportunities while at the same time operating in compliance with minimum requirements and relevant guidelines, including overseeing operations in terms of financial management, quality and compliance, and ensuring that risk management systems are in place.
- Ensure that the SMT, HoP, DDG PM have clear and realistic performance based management goals
- Overall management of the operation and direct manager for senior staff members. This includes coaching, ensuring co-ordination between managers, recruiting, and development of staff
- Frequent travel to the field offices for direct operational support and representation
- Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement.
Fundraising and Advocacy
- As the majority of the fundraising is done locally, the Country Director will lead the process of applying for funding and broadening the funding basis in a challenging funding environment
- The Country Director will lead his/her team in writing concept papers, project proposals and budgets in line with the approved country strategy;
- Lead in the team’s advocacy in all DRC key messages.
To be successful in this role you are required to:
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience (including a minimum of 5 years at senior management level) in post-conflict settings, preferably working with displaced people.
- Experience in leading the development and implementation of new strategies in complex humanitarian operations.
- Extensive experience in negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of our beneficiaries.
- Proven track record of successful fundraising.
- Proven track record of managing a large financial turnover and mitigating risk in a complex and volatile environment.
- Experience in effective people management, including implementation of the code of conduct and anti-corruption measures.
- Experience in safety management.
- Excellent written and spoken English, French and/or Arabic language skills an advantage.
- Master's degree in Political Science, International development, economics or other relevant field.
You are also expected to be ‘expert’ level in each of DRC’s five Core Competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: Two years
Duty station: Tripoli/Tunis (family - non accompanied)
Start date:14 January
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies for more information.
Are you interested in becoming a Country Director Libya & Tunisia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.