Enabel is the Belgian development agency. We implement Belgium’s international development policy.
With 14 country offices across the world, 1500 employees and an annual portfolio of approximately 220 million euros, we build a sustainable world where women and men live under the rule of law and are free to pursue their aspirations.
Under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we carry out public service assignments in Belgium and abroad. In addition, Enabel enhances the impact of Belgium in international development by carrying out assignments for Belgian and international third-party donors.
To further develop its activities, Enabel is looking for a (m/f): Portfolio Developer – TANZANIA
Pursuant to this procedure, Enabel will hire 1 portfolio developer for Dar es Salaam and establish a recruitment pool.
Contract duration: 6 months (extendable)
Location: Dar es Salaam, regular assignments to the Brussels head office possible
Probable starting date: asap
Monthly salary package: Category 2 (B417) between 5.288,32 € and 7.524,32 € (this includes the gross monthly salary and the expat benefits: hardship allowance and expat allowance).
There are also other advantages related to the expatriation such as cost of accommodation (with a maximum), removal and installation grant, school fees for the children who live with the employee (with a maximum), a package of insurances for all the family (included repatriation insurance), flight tickets once a year for all the family members who live with the employee.
The various paid amounts will vary according to the relevant experience recognised for the function, the family composition and the tax situation.
In 2018, funds are earmarked for new governmental cooperation programmes in 5 countries (Benin, Palestine, Rwanda, Tanzania and Senegal).
Since the Belgian development agency Enabel is now involved far more upstream in the programming cycle, it has become responsible for elaborating the country strategy as well as for developing the country portfolio under the framework of a multi-mode and multi-actor approach.
Furthermore, the Enabel strategy also stipulates that Enabel should develop third-party donor assignments in view of enhancing the local impact of the Belgian governmental cooperation programme.
In Tanzania, the preparation of the new programming cycle has started and Enabel is to elaborate the governmental cooperation strategy in 2018 and to then develop the Belgian governmental cooperation portfolio of interventions in the respective countries.
Coordinate, under the authority of the Resident Representative of Enabel, in close collaboration with head office staff of Enabel and in consultation with the Belgian diplomatic post, the elaboration of the strategy and the country portfolio for governmental cooperation. Prepare the start-up of the portfolio and support the Resident Representative in exploring as well as establishing complementing assignments for other donors.
Therefore, (s)he will primarily:
1. Coordinate the editing of the country strategy from the first draft to the final document in order for Enabel to formulate an innovative country strategy proposal, founded on an overall vision of development, the latest international trends and the opportunities that allow Belgium to strengthen its presence in the region concerned and exploit the synergies between Belgian public and private actors under the framework of a comprehensive country strategy.
2. Coordinate the elaboration of the country portfolio concerned for the period concerned in order for Enabel to present a country portfolio based on a set of operational and strategic partnerships (public/private actors who are fit for purpose) and innovative instruments.
3. Put in place a consistent and complete process in order to ensure optimal start-up of interventions of the country portfolio.
4. Support the Resident Representative of Enabel, with the assistance of Enabel (partner country and head office) colleagues, in prospecting, negotiating and concluding agreements and contracts and set up complementing interventions financed by third-party donors in order to strengthen the Enabel portfolio of interventions and to enhance the impact of the governmental cooperation programme of Belgium in the country concerned.
Required level of education
• Hold a Master’s degree
Required and/or desired experience
• At least 5 years’ experience in the design (‘formulation’) or having had final responsibility of interventions in bilateral/governmental cooperation;
• Professional relevant experience in the country or region is an asset.
• Proven knowledge of the private sector;
• Proven responsibility in innovative strategy development and decision-making;
• Excellent theoretical and operational understanding of Results-based management and risk management;
• Excellent understanding of the Fit for purpose concept and its application in country strategy decision-making;
• Good knowledge of strategy planning and country programme elaboration processes;
• Knowledge of design (‘formulation’) and establishment of intervention dossier processes is an asset;
• Broad and in-depth insight in all aspects of development cooperation;
• Good knowledge of the governmental cooperation context;
• Knowledge of other donors’ modalities and procedures is an asset.
• Adherence to Enabel's values: commitment, respect, responsibility and integrity;
• Very good negotiation skills, stakeholder consensus-building ability;
• Solid English writing skills (for Tanzania);
• Excellent time and team manager with a participatory approach;
• Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, databases);
• Proficient in English and French;
• At least passive knowledge of Dutch (understanding).
Are you interested in becoming a Portfolio Developer in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.