Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Director of Finance will oversee all accounting and financial functions of Heifer Tanzania, a branch of Heifer International, which is a leading International non-governmental organization. Duties will include management of accounting transactions, financial reporting, budgeting, cashflow, banking, grant management, compliance and internal control function. Responsibilities also include capacity building of staff in the section, input into personnel and administration tasks and involvement in the country management team.
This position will work closely with the Headquarters’ finance team to ensure consistency throughout the organization, while assisting the Country Director to manage the office’s resources in the most effective manner.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Integrity and courage; team work and relationship-building skills; communication skills; curiosity and knowledgeable; openness to diversity and different points of view. Candidate must display initiative, flexibility, creativity, natural curiosity and a strong work ethic, persuasive and service-oriented, and demonstrate an array of relevant technical skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Financial Management (35%)
Provide financial management and accounting leadership to the Country Office to ensure compliance with Heifer International policies, donor requirements and relevant government authorities.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and led the annual audit process, Liaison with external auditors and assess any changes necessary in collaboration with HQ.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with HQ.
- Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior management at the Country Office abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
Report Preparation and Presentation (20%)
Ensure proper and accurate accounting and reporting of all grant and donor funds in accordance with the grant / donor requirements, including all project expenses that are allowable and charged correctly.
- Ensures that all financial reports (budgets and narrative) at country and project offices are compiled and forwarded to the country director and HQ.
- Preparation of new budgets during proposal development and budget monitoring report.
- Ensure books of accounts are closed on the 10th of the following month.
- Ensure Donor reports are submitted on due dates as per donor contracts.
- Ensure proper cashflow management at the country office.
- Support the Country Director and Advisory Committee on the external landscape with respect to changing government legislation.
- Ensure regional project offices receive update and reforecast budgets.
- Ensure that donor contracts are adhered to in relation to allowability and allocability of expenses.
Financial Control and Risk Management (15%)
Efficient and effective management of all financial functions of the organization and development of risk management plans.
Organize donor record, and ensure internal controls are maintained.
- Review, draft, implement and monitor internal controls and financial policies and procedures.
- Develop, implement, adhere to and monitor compliance of financial controls to ensure that the organization is protected from risk.
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met.
- Ensure that the organization makes all required government remittances and remits applicable taxes as needed.
Supervision and monitoring (30%)
Supervise the financial staff and provide guidance to their work and encourage their professional growth
- Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, donations and receipting.
- Monitor the cash position of the organization.
- Manage and oversee monthly bank reconciliations.
- Manage bank transactions including wire transfers, renewal of Certificates of deposits and keeping track of signing authorities.
- Implement global policies as per HQ timelines.
- Must hold a CPA (T), and full registered with NBAA
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field, plus seven (7) years of related experience is supervisory capacity, preferably in a non-governmental organization setting. A Knowledge of Agresso accounting Package will be an added advantage.
- Advanced Degree in finance, accounting, or a related field minimum three (3) years in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience in financial management in senior position level.
- Experience in large grant management and reporting through bilateral and multilateral donors, e.g.: United States Agency for International Development, European Union, Department for International
- Development (United Kingdom), Canadian International Development Agency.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Rich knowledge of accounting principles with strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Ability to research, interpret and ensure compliance with local accounting standards and reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Experience in planning and generating ideas for improvement of the accounting function.
- Strong budget development, management and monitoring capacity.
- Strong organizational skills and office management experience.
- Proficient in English and Swahili both oral and written.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail software, and knowledge of accounting software (Agresso preferred).
- Excellent organizational skills including strong attention to detail.
- Excellent leadership qualities and communication skills.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with minimal supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
- Direct supervision of, and assignment of tasks to, many culturally diverse staff including field staff in several remote locations.
- Motivated to work with little supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with culturally diverse groups of people.
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, stakeholders and the public.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds (14 kilograms) floor to waist.
- Ability and willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both locally and internationally.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
Are you interested in becoming a Director of Finance in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.