East Africa Youth Inclusion Project (EAYIP) Accountant
The Project Accountant reports to the Senior Operations Manager and plays a significant role in strengthening core global systems by ensuring the proper accounting and reporting of resources in project implementation by maintaining systems of accountability, processing accounting information, internal and external financial reporting, cash and bank account maintenance and other financial tasks as assigned in liaison with relevant Heifer departments. This person contributes to the program impact by preparing project time sensitive financial reports and monitoring budget burn rates for effective implementation of the project. The Accountant assists with financial and accounting aspects of the country program office and the processing of routine financial transactions in accordance with Heifer's policies and procedures. The Accountant also ensures compliance with Heifer International and The MasterCard Foundation requirements for the East Africa Youth Inclusion Program. This position interacts with similar positions in other teams to promote consistency throughout the country and area program.
Essential Character Traits:
Detail-Oriented, Positive, Determined, Enthusiastic, Accountable, Values-Oriented
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
(including approximate percentage effort)
Management and Compliance (75%)
Accountable for ensuring that all financial aspects of the project adhere to local laws and regulations and to donor requirements
- Ensure that all transactions are in line with government laws
- Conduct training and staff development workshops with the team in order to maintain a high standard of reporting
- Ensure all transactions entered timely and coded accurately in financial system.
- Prepare, coordinate, and monitor the project budget
- Effectively manage the program/project cash flow through preparation of monthly cash flow projections while adhering to Heifer headquarters policies
- Prepare monthly project reports and upload all financial documents to Agresso and Laserfiche platform.
- Approve all office and fleet-related requisitions and review procurement requests as per the authorization policy
- Monitor the petty cash advances in line with cash management controls and prepare project account(s) for audits as planned
- Ensure compliance with accounting principles and standards including Heifer partners, donors, local partners and HQ cost principles
- Maintain knowledge of required rules and regulations related to project implementation and activities that affect the budget
- Review payment requests and ensure the timely processing of funds, ensuring that proper supporting documents such as receipts are maintained
- Establish and maintain sound financial management systems and provide administrative support to the project
- Ensure that an effective scanning and filing system is in place in the office, and coordinate with program staff to ensure that the project’s resources are effectively and efficiently utilized
Program Effectiveness (20%)
Accountable for preparing accurate information for the program team in a timely manner to achieve the highest standard of effectiveness
- Prepare & Interpret variance reports and expenditure analyses for project staff and management on a monthly basis
- Assist project management by explaining variances in line with finance policies and following up on budget execution action plans.
Partnership and Engagement (5%)
Accountable for ensuring compliance with established processes and procedures at the highest level of accountability with project partners
May perform other job-related duties as assigned
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Practical experience in various aspects of accounting principles and practices with a good understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate and a good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and the environment
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail software, and knowledge of accounting software (e.g.: MS Office Suite, DOS, -
- Accounting packages such as Sun Systems, Pastel, Agresso)
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong numeracy skills
- Demonstrated written and oral fluency in English
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail
- Ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism when dealing with donors, project participants, staff and partner organizations
- Willingness to contribute to Heifer International’s principles of transparency and honesty
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, both internal and external
- Requires constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related field is required, plus three (3) year of experience; or a University Diploma in Accounting, -
- Business Studies or PAEC Diploma with six (6) years’ experience in a non-profit organization. Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or part of these requirements
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
To Be Determined
Non U.S. Based Locations
Are you interested in becoming a Accountant in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.