Heifer Project International (HPI) is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The East Africa Youth Inclusion Program (EAYIP) Access to Finance Manager, under the guidance of the EAYIP Country Program Manager, will facilitate access to finance for youth entrepreneurs to start or expand businesses, He or she will be the focal point person for the design and regular review of financial access strategies and modules. The incumbent will be responsible for building financial “partnerships”, develop/roll-out relevant financial solutions, and provide financial advisory services. S/he will also perform a strategic analysis of the financial landscape, work with Financial Institutions (FIs) to develop financial products and services appropriate to target groups and in managing post-investment risk.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Energetic, Positive, Collaborative
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Program Effectiveness (50%)
- Provide technical guidance on access to finance-related issues and work with “partners” to ensure the design and delivery of financial literacy training program to EAYIP’s beneficiaries and Business Development services (BDS) providers.
- Promote and facilitate the access to savings accounts by youth, and advise youth in the creation of savings and credit groups, when relevant
- Work closely with financial institutions to develop youth-friendly financial products and services while building their capacity to borrow
- Build capacity of youth savings groups to develop bankable business plans and facilitate access to credit.
- Increase financial literacy for the youth
- Coordinate and support the youth to develop bankable business plans and facilitate access to credit.
- Design appropriate financial curriculum and materials
- Assist youth groups in designing teasers/investor documents/business plans/business presentations and any additional data requests by the Financial Institution.
- Perform analysis of current supply and demand of financial solutions for youth, smallholder farmers, SMEs
- Develop and update Access to Finance strategy.
- Identify investment opportunities in the value chains and coordinate and support business strategies and plans for the clients
- In collaboration with implementing “partner” organizations, design monitoring and evaluation framework and ensure that key indicators for access to finances are monitored
- Supervise the design and delivery of training programs in accounting, loan application processes, product pricing and marketing, business management to the implementing “partners” and the youth
- Train youth and Producer Business Groups (PBGs) on uses of agricultural credit, and bank staff on crop profitability, crop cycles and risks and basic financial management and commerce
- Train youth and PBGs on requirements to access credit and foster links with a financial institution loan scheme
- Design appropriate finance training curriculum, review of existing materials, development database, and compile financial access case studies
- Management and Compliance (30%)
- Monitor the implementation of the Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) by HPIs financial “partners” in Tanzania
- Ensure compliance with contractual obligations and procedures of donors
- Report on the status of the RFL on a monthly basis.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual investment and business performance reports.
- Manage and control EAYIP investment advisory activities within a set budget
- Ensure periodic project reviews are conducted, with learnings documented and shared.
- Compile and analyze monitoring data for loan disbursements to the youth groups and PBGs
“Partnership” and Engagement (20%)
- Network with local financial Institutions and value chain players
- Represent EAYIP in various stakeholder meetings, workshops, conferences, and shared learning events.
- Develop and implement plans for multi-stakeholders’ engagement and learnings.
- Regularly work with financial Institutions on access to finance component, including joint planning meetings, harmonizing work schedules and joint field visits
- Work with Financial Institution on identifying and addressing barriers to youth, smallholder/SME lending and develop financial products and/or solutions.
- Develop relationships with financial institutions and the private sector to facilitate access to finance and market linkages.
- Produce various technical reports in collaboration with implementing “partners” for sharing with stakeholders in the country
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- This will be dependent on the specific duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus seven (7) years of relevant financial program experience in development work in Tanzania.
- Specialized training in community mobilization, business development, and rural financial services is required
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Financial Management, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Enterprise development or related field from a reputable university
- For profit business experience at a leadership.
- Seven years of field experience in implementing community development projects including financial access, integration of farmer groups into formal banking, savings and lending and income generation activities in Tanzania or East Africa
- Excellent networking and liaison skills.
- Excellent writing skills, including report writing.
- Ability to plan and yet accommodate unexpected tasks.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Clear understanding of financial investment opportunities for youth groups
- Knowledge of youth workforce development issues especially in the rural communities of the East Africa region.
- Good understanding of gender dynamics in development, particularly among young people.
- Proven project management, motivational skills and with the ability to train youth
- Good understanding of the different value chains within the agricultural sector.
- Strong teamwork, training mentoring and coaching skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with “partners” and local governments.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills as well as familiarity with financial accounting required;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in facilitating development of value chain- level business plans.
- Fluency in English (knowledge of other languages spoken in Tanzania is a plus).
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically, regionally and internationally as required.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet.
- Good communication and presentation skills; pay attention to details.
- Coaching skills including training, delegation, and presentation;
- Flexible and able to adapt to field logistics constraints
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with culturally diverse groups of people.
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff.
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout Tanzania and other EAYIP project sites.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
Are you interested in becoming an Access to Finance Manager in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.