We are looking for a Farm & Outgrower Manager with the experience and ability to set up and lead the farming operations across both our in-house farms as well as contracted outgrowers.
As Farm & Outgrower Manager at AVL, you will ensure the smooth running of all in-house and contracted outgrower farming operations, reporting to the AVL General Manager. The largest in-house operation is Makuru Estate, a 120-ha old coffee estate. Initially, we will grow only extra fine beans for the factory, but we expect to quickly introduce a sustainable rotational cropping program including commodities that can be exported in fresh or processed form through the AVL channel to market.
You will be responsible for the agricultural department performance in general, i.e. both the agricultural as well as the business aspects.
You will need to align cropping with factory and packhouse processing requirements and capabilities, working closely with factory management to ensure the whole process runs smoothly. Efficient agricultural operations is key to the overall company performance.
As a food producer within an international supply chain, we must be keenly aware of our social & environmental sustainability performance. You will develop and implement the strategy to improve our performance in these areas, and will monitor and report according to targets. Simultaneously, you will balance economical sustainability through key drivers including, but not limited, to yield optimization and cost-efficiency.
• Develop production plan according to processing requirements
o Production schedule that meets factory requirements and optimizes yields & costs while ensuring the company owned farm’s long-term productivity (sustainability)
o Manage & monitor budget (reporting regularly to GM)
o Effective procurement & planning
o Effective resource management
• Supervise all procedures & employees on the farm
o Ensure conducive and safe working environment, always according to company best practice & all certification requirements
o Motivate & coach supervisors
o Ensure relevant & clear communication for all employees
o Ensure proper use and maintenance of farm infrastructure & equipment
• Set up data gathering & analysis to guide decision-making & continuous improvement
o Set up procedures & systems to gather, store and analyze data effectively
o Make decisions based on data, actively managing employees to do the same
o Improving & optimizing processes through trials
• Maintain relationships with relevant external stakeholders, like surrounding farms, villages, and suppliers
Who we are looking for
Education & experience
• Minimum college degree level education in agricultural sciences/agronomy or related field
• Minimum 10 years commercial farm management experience with demonstrable in-depth, diverse & relevant knowledge of commercial horticulture in the tropics
• Experience in extra fine French bean production essential
• Experience in relevant industry standards such as Global GAP, SMETA, BRC etc. and have a working knowledge of how to implement such standards
• Experience with budgetary planning & commercial agricultural business administration
• Experience in farm expansion and development is preferred
• Languages: fluent English (written & spoken), good Swahili
• Innovative, eager to learn mindset, eager to coach & educate
• Passionate about farming
• A manager who motivates people to yield results
• A strong team player with an eye for interpersonal dynamics
• Comfortable and sensitive in working with different cultures and educational backgrounds
• Practical, with a hands-on mentality
• Committed to sustainability and have a strong vision for what that means in agriculture
• A young, growing, and unique business environment committed to quality and sustainability, where you can make a big difference
• A diverse and international team committed to the business
• Competitive salary and appropriate benefits package
How to apply
Send your resume and references, as well as a short motivation letter (max 750 words), to HR@africanvegetables.co.tz. We will send you a confirmation email and inform you of subsequent steps.
Application ends when the position is filled.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.