Enabel is the Belgian development agency. It implements Belgium’s governmental cooperation. The agency also implements actions for other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad Enabel offers solutions addressing pressing global challenges: Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality, and Global Citizenship. With 1,500 staff, Enabel manages about 150 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
Tanzania is the second largest honey producer of Africa. Beekeeping is done mainly by smallholders using traditional methods, with apiaries often in natural forest areas. The honey sector is not only a source of food for rural people but it has become increasingly an important additional income source for beekeepers and their intermediaries.
There is an increasing local, regional and global demand of bee products. Low productivity and quality are important constraints. The national potential for production of honey and beeswax is huge but the quality is still far below international standards. There exists a big potential for exporting honey and beeswax as its demand in the world market is very high especially organic certified honey.
In Tanzania Enabel has formulated and implemented several projects related to Natural Resources Management (NRM) and the development of the beekeeping value chain. Under the 11th EDF the EU is funding the Action “Beekeeping Value Chain Support” for which a Contribution Agreement will be signed with Enabel for the indirect management of this project.
The project will improve the beekeeping value chain through enhanced quality production, value addition of bee products and strengthen trade and market access to local, regional and international markets. The project will address the challenge of more gender equity in the beekeeping value chain.
The overall objective of the project is to make sure that the beekeeping industry's contribution to inclusive economic growth in Tanzania is enhanced. Namely, quality honey produced in an environmentally sustainable manner leads to increased market penetration.
For achieving the specific objective of the project the following three expected outputs are to be realized (as indicated by the EU in the approved Action Document):
• Institutional capacity and enabling environment for beekeeping value chain actors is strengthened, while enhancing women's empowerment;
• Capacities of beekeeping value chain actors improved and management of bee reserves and apiaries enhanced;
• Market access and trade of bee products strengthened.
The project zones are the Regions of Tabora, Kigoma, Katavi, Singida, Shinyanga and Pemba Island in Tanzania.
Main duties of the Project Manager:
• You are responsible for the good execution of the projects (content, planning, budget, quality) in order to reach sustainable development results;
• You coordinate the realisation of the activities with a view of achieving the projects objectives;
• You support the persons indicated to lead the change process;
• You contribute to capacity development of various partner organisations;
• You coordinate the learning process on how a project contributes to the development of the sector;
• You lead the teams placed under your hierarchical responsibility;
• You ensure that relevant results information is available for monitoring and evaluation in order to allow monitoring of performance, decision-making, learning and reporting.
Required qualifications and experience
• You hold a Master’s degree in agricultural economics, natural resources management or other related field;
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in steering international development projects;
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in agricultural value chain development projects with also the components of access to value chain financing and the market;
• Proven work experience in the field of natural resource management is an asset;
• A relevant professional experience outside your country of origin;
• An experience as team manager;
• Experience in several international development projects is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge
• Good knowledge of aspects of international development (context, challenges, application, partners, functioning…);
• In-depth knowledge of project management methodologies;
• Monitoring and evaluation competences;
• Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
• Comfortable with leading groups dynamics and inter-culturalism;
• Pro-active results-oriented management ;
• You are fluent in spoken and written French and/or Dutch. Considering the working language of Tanzania and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of English is required. Notions of Kiswahili is a strong asset.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
• A fascinating and engaging job in an international environment.
• A contract of 40 months with potential contract extension. You are based in Tabora with regular travels inside the country to Singida, Shinyanga, Katavi, Kigoma and Pemba Island.
• A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 6), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
• In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The various amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Following this recruitment procedure a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested in becoming a Project Manager Beekeeping Value Chain Support in Tanzania? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.