Specialist for community-based conflict transformation (m/f/x), Rumbek, South Sudan
Your work with AGIAMONDO and the Diocese of Rumbek
AGIAMONDO is the personnel service of German Catholics for development cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS), we offer professionals the opportunity for meaningful service in cooperation with local development actors. The CPS is a personnel program for violence prevention and peacebuilding in crisis and conflict regions. It works for a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. Together with church and civil society partner organizations in Southsudan, AGIAMONDO wants to contribute to the civil conflict resolution there and to the sustainable and just development of the country through peacebuilding measures.
The JPC Unit is an office within the Pastoral Department of the Catholic Diocese of Rumbek and contributes with its peace projects in the different communities to a more peaceful coexistence and non-violent handling of disputes and conflicts within and between communities. The unit also provides training in psychosocial support and sports for peace, and organizes commemoration ceremonies.
In the Diocese of Rumbek, different conflicting parties engage in violent conflicts over resources. These lead to deep mistrust and ongoing tensions in the communities. The church has earned a special status in the region as reliable and trustworthy institutions. In particular, its work in the area of peace and justice based on Christian social teaching is recognized and valued by the various actors in this conflict-ridden region.
The communities in Rumbek are hospitable and very welcoming to newcomers, who are often perceived as non-partisan to local communal conflicts and as witnesses to existing injustices, and are treated with high respect.
Specifically, you will carry out the following tasks:
- Develop and implement training concepts on non-violent conflict transformation and strengthen local capacities in conflict management and transformation and psychosocial support.
- Support the initiation of dialogue and reconciliation sessions within the communities.
- Collaborate in the organization and implementation of local and international peace events (e.g. World Peace Day).
- Establishing and strengthening sustainable networks with other peace partners in South Sudan.
- Assist with all necessary organizational, administrative processes (communication, documentation and report writing) and fundraising for peace projects.
- Responsible for the proper expenditure and management of funds in the field according to donor guidelines and AGIAMONDO requirements. In doing so, you will work in partnership with the JPC.
- You have a Master's degree in a relevant subject e.g. Peace & Security Studies, Conflict Resolution, Political Science, Law, Social Work or another relevant social science field.
- You bring expertise in creating and implementing training concepts and have practical experience in peace work as well as conflict transformation. Knowledge of organizational development is a plus.
- You have diplomatic skills and very good intercultural communication skills for a partnership approach with stakeholders.
- Initial experience working and living in South Sudan is a plus.
- You have a Class B driver's license and are business fluent in English. Knowledge of Arabic or Dinka is an advantage.
- You are a citizen of the EU or Switzerland and identify with the goals and concerns of church development and peace work.
Are you interested in becoming a Specialist conflict transformation in South Sudan? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.