Overseeing the financial activities of the programme, the Finance Manager carries out the various accounting functions required in order to provide accurate and timely information to donors, Headquarters (HQ), field management and the field teams on the financial status of the programme. This involves organising and further developing the financial processes required for the projects to function effectively as well as managing the finance team, providing coaching and training as required.
Multi-sectoral relief programme in South Sudan including provision of Health, Nutrition, WASH, Psychosocial support, and NFI/emergency shelter services across fixed and emergency response locations.
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details:
January 2018. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Manage the day-to-day accounting functions of the programme including, but not limited to:
- Reconciling / verifying bank and cash amounts on a weekly basis.
- Ensuring payments are made in a timely fashion, as well as in line with Medair policies and procedures.
- Compiling the monthly cash needs forecast for the programme, ensuring that money is transferred between locations in a timely manner and that daily cash needs are met.
- Supporting field bases in financial matters, as required.
- Monitoring project spending on an on-going (monthly) basis, and provide feedback to project teams, and senior management as required.
- Ensure that Medair Finance Procedures are followed in all Country Programme’s offices as part of internal control monitoring.
- Work with Budget holders, senior management and HQ staff in the preparation and development of budgets for projects and shared costs.
- Support the preparation of donor budgets and financial reports within the required time frame.
- Meet the finance related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors and any other stakeholders, so that the financial aspects of the programme function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Work with HR on the preparation of monthly payroll list, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries and / or allowances is done in a timely manner and in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring that required statutory deductions are made and paid to the appropriate authorities.
- Support the HQ Finance Programmes Officer in reporting to donors, providing relevant documents and narrative explanation of any anomalies or discrepancies.
- Manage and oversee the programme finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, staff development and training, appraisal, etc. Provide functional supervision to field Finance Officers.
- Develop and maintain a communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable financial activities and requirements, including the distribution of key financial information.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) completed.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant professional experience in a financial position for at least three years.
- Experience in a financial supervisory position.
- Good understanding of humanitarian issues.
- Strong organisational skills and the capacity to analyse and prioritise needs.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style.
- Excellent attention to detail. Good document writing skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels. Problem solving ability.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the Medair organisational values.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
Are you interested in becoming a Finance Manager in South Sudan? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.