AGIAMONDO is the personnel service of the German Catholics for Development Cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS) we offer development workers a meaningful role working with local development agents. The CPS is a personnel programme for peace-building and the prevention of violence in crisis and conflict regions. It sets out to promote a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. Working with church-related and civil-social partner organisations in South Sudan, AGIAMONDO aims to make a contribution towards civil conflict management and the sustainable and equitable development of the country through peace-building measures.
To set up a psychosocial support service for students and staff at the Catholic University of South Sudan (CUoSS), we are looking for a Social worker for psychosocial support, Juba, South Sudan, to start as soon as possible.
Your new role
The Catholic University of South Sudan (CUoSS) in the capital Juba embodies the multicultural diversity of the country. The fast-growing institution strives to provide a supportive learning environment for students from all groups of the population to enable them to receive a good education. Based on the cornerstones of the Christian faith and guided by the principles of Catholic social teaching, it contributes to a pluralistic, peaceful and fair future for the country.
Together with the university pastoral care service, you will develop psychosocial support services and accompany the students and staff of the university in coping with stress after stressful events.
Specifically, you will carry out the following tasks:
• Working with the university pastoral care service, you will develop support services for students and staff to help them cope better with stressful and traumatising experiences.
• You will actively make contact with students and staff and bring yourself and your services, for example a cultural and sports programme to promote mental resilience and strengthen relationships between students, into the extra-curricular life of the university.
• You will provide support in the conceptual development of peace education topics, such as “Reconciliation beyond ethnicity”, and conduct workshops on these topics.
• You will be responsible for the proper spending and management of funds locally in accordance with the donor and AGIAMONDO guidelines. In doing so, you will work in partnership with the CUoSS.
• You have completed a university degree in psychology, education, social work, educational science, curative education or religious studies.
• You have several years of professional experience in the field of psychosocial support and have been able to develop and implement concepts in this subject area.
• You have already worked outside Europe, ideally in international development and peace work.
• You are diplomatic and possess intercultural communication skills, to enable you to deal with the relevant players in a manner based on mutual partnership.
• You have a very good command of English, knowledge of Arabic is an advantage, and you hold a valid driver’s licence.
• You are an EU or Swiss citizen, identify with the goals and concerns of the church-based development and peace-building work and look forward to working in a Christian-oriented organisation.
What AGIAMONDO offers
• Individual and thorough preparation
• Three-year contract (with option of renewal), social security and remuneration under the Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
• Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching and supervision, individual advice
Are you interested in becoming a Social worker for psychosocial support in South Sudan? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.