Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya
Do you want to do work that is impactful? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
Since starting out in 2018, we plan to serve 50000 customers across East Africa in 5 years. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 53 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is seeking a values-driven and practiced leader with a track record of working with external partners to advance our mission.
Duties of the role:
- Build and strengthen external stakeholder relationships and represent Ampersand in public fora as appropriate.
- Develop partnerships with international organizations, development agencies, and think tanks to advance support for electric mobility.
- Work with other Ampersand teams to develop and implement strategic initiatives and develop new partnerships.
- Manage collaborations with universities, researchers and think tanks.
- Assist the CEO with strengthening government relationships at all levels and providing information and recommendations on policy and regulatory matters.
- Play a key role in developing innovative, practical approaches to complex policy challenges at the local, national, regional, and global level.
Communications and fundraising support
- Lead on development of all communications materials including policy briefs, press releases, brochures, and inputs into third party research and analysis.
- Identify grants and other funding opportunities and lead on drafting high quality proposals and applications.
- Manage grants once successfully secured, including ongoing grant monitoring and evaluation.
- Prepare and deliver strong written reports and oral presentations, including in meetings, conferences, and workshops.
- Collaborate closely with the CEO, CFO, and other staff, to contribute to Ampersand’s fundraising efforts.
Other tasks and duties as may be required.
Ampersand is a good fit if:
- You are passionate about fighting climate change, promoting sustainable development, and improving people’s lives
- You are a proactive problem solver
- You are looking to be part of an entrepreneurial company that values innovation, resourcefulness, teamwork, integrity, constant improvement, and strong execution on targets
- You are excited to work in a fast-growing and dynamic organization
- You are adaptable and thrive in rapidly evolving environments
- You value diversity and community in the workplace
- At least 6 years of relevant work experience in similar public outreach or government relations roles in sustainable development, climate change, urban development, transportation, or the energy sector.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, master’s in development, political science, communications, or related fields preferable.
- Proven track record engaging with governments, development agencies, academic institutions, non-profits, and the media in developing country contexts.
- Prior experience working in the private sector is beneficial, especially in startups.
- Proven people and team management skills and experience.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to achieving results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work independently and in teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Relevant public speaking experience and an ability to represent the company in external fora.
- Experience working in East Africa and with cross cultural teams is preferred.
- Native-level fluency in English. French and/or Swahili is desirable
- A competitive compensation with international market salary, health insurance, relocation support, and stock options.
- This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya with the ability to travel between the two.
Apply here: https://ampersandelectricmobility.teamtailor.com/jobs/preview/b231d713-f8eb-4a4c-99ad-585a179ed5ce
Are you interested in becoming a Partnerships and Outreach Director in Rwanda or Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.