Do you want to do work that is impactful? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Kigali in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
We have successfully piloted an electric motorcycle and battery swap network in Kigali, with motorcycles in daily operation for two years and nearly 2 million km traveled. We have successfully raised $ 4M in venture capital. We are and are ready to further develop and scale up our tech and scale our operations. This is where you come in. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 59 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is seeking a values-driven and practiced leader with a track record of building strong organizational culture, getting the best out of people, effectively designing, and implementing systems and processes to manage HR at a growing organization across several countries and cultures, and building diverse and inclusive organizations that are great workplaces for women.
Roles and responsibilities
Championing Ampersand’s culture and values (see below) from the hiring process, through training, and how we deal with difficult issues, and the consequences of breaching values.
- Recruitment: Finding and recruiting the best people, from international tech wizards to battery assembly and metalworkers.
- Personnel management: Designing and implementing systems to manage day-to-day HR processes.
- Diversity and inclusion: Designing and promoting Ampersand’s strategy for better representation of women and minorities throughout the organization and ensuring principles of equity and inclusion are integrated across all company policies and practices.
- Performance assessments: Overseeing the personal improvement and performance assessments of staff, including 360 reviews, training recommendations, personal development.
- HR policies: Overseeing policies related to HR, managing updates to the staff handbook, managing disciplinary processes.
- Training plans: Working with management and all teams to identify training needs and opportunities. Developing and managing an annual staff training & improvement budget. Includes tailored training program for specific individuals, as well as preparing a program of training seminars and workshops for all staff.
- Employee safety, welfare, wellness, and health
- Compliance to regulatory and other stakeholders (e.g., funding agencies) concerns
- Company employee and community communication
- Compensation and benefits planning (e.g., compensation ranges including ESOP) and administration
- Employee services and counseling
- Building an HR department/team
- Employee appreciation activities and events
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience in similar roles.
- Proven track record engaging with teams.
- Prior experience working in the private sector is beneficial, especially in startups.
- Proven people and team management skills and experience.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to achieving results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work independently and in teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to prepare and deliver engaging PowerPoint presentations.
- An outgoing, genuine, and empathetic personality.
- Experience working in East Africa and with cross-cultural teams is preferred.
- Fluent written and spoken English. Swahili and/or Kinyarwanda preferred.
- A competitive compensation package commensurate with international market rates and experience including health insurance, an annual flight allowance and relocation support.
- This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya with the ability to travel between the two.
Apply here: https://ampersandelectricmobility.teamtailor.com/jobs/1254774-chief-people-officer-human-resources-director
Are you interested in becoming a Chief People Officer (Human Resources Director) in Rwanda or Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.